X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
    I second that, didn't want to be the one to post it becuase not sure if he wants it aired but the award is well deserved! Also nice job on the tv side!

Thanks to you both. No worries there, rhm, don't care about that so no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
      I don't think we can technically clinch until at least the BG series unless Ferris is swept this weekend and MSU loses one. Based on JD's numbers...

Miami - 8 games remaining - 75 max points (currently at 51 points)
      Ferris - 8 games remaining - 63 max points
      MSU - 6 games remaining - 59 max points
      UAF - 6 games remaining - 59 max points

To get to 63 points, we obviously need four wins but of course the number assumes that Ferris and MSU win every night. It looks like if we sweep Lake, Ferris is swept by NMU and MSU splits, we would clinch this weekend.
      Yea I put up a little scenario on MHT since someone was worried about not clinching at home. We need to get a combination of 9 points to knock out MSU, and 12 to get rid of Ferris. The only way we can get it done this weekend is...

1) Miami sweeps Lake
      2) MSU loses FRIDAY at UAF
      3) NMU sweeps at Ferris

Since the Ferris Saturday game is 2 hours before ours, we would obviously know by the end of our game. If MSU loses Saturday, still clinch, but obviously everyone will have cleared out of the goggin by then.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
        Yea I put up a little scenario on MHT since someone was worried about not clinching at home. We need to get a combination of 9 points to knock out MSU, and 12 to get rid of Ferris. The only way we can get it done this weekend is...

1) Miami sweeps Lake
        2) MSU loses FRIDAY at UAF
        3) NMU sweeps at Ferris

Since the Ferris Saturday game is 2 hours before ours, we would obviously know by the end of our game. If MSU loses Saturday, still clinch, but obviously everyone will have cleared out of the goggin by then.
        Ferris is 4 games back ( 12 pts ) so its a long shot. Ferris has to essentially win out to get the conference and have Miami stumble, both won't happen simultaneously. There for IF Miami sweeps lake st this weekend they would need 1 more loss by Sparty to clinch because they hold the tie breaker over Ferris. So Ferris will have to make up 13 pts on Miami in 8 games...

Ferris won't be mathematically eliminated by weekends end but too tough for them to get it done with their remaining schedule. I calculated wrong ( math was never my thing ) I subtracted two games off of JD's count thinking he was tallying before the weekend .
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Yeah its obviously a long shot that those teams make a run at us, buy for it to be official this weekend that is what would need to happen. Also in no way, if the season ended today, would they switch us from having Atlantic hockey to north Dakota. The first protocol is protecting the number one seed, and there aRe too many wcha teams at the moment. Let's keep up the ccha momentum boys and get that first of three champ banners we are after
          Last edited by mcfarljd; 02-01-2010, 01:11 AM. Reason: stupid blackberry spelling

Comment

Lake Superior State Lakers visit Miami this weekend.

The Lakers are hoping to pick up some points to try to squeeze into the top 4 bye scenario, Miami hoping to keep on a roll and get the first place CCHA seed heading into the conference tourney.

The Lakers are led by leading scorer Rich Schofield (13-10--23), followed by Will Acton (7-13--20) and Zac MacAvoy (6-14--20). Interesting scenario with Schofield, he got a DQ in their last game against Notre Dame, so they will be without their best forward this Friday at the Goggin.

Miami is still being led with 3 of our top 4 scorers from our junior class; Wingles (13-16--29), Camper (10-18--28), Palmer (11-14--25), and Miele (9-15--24).

The Lakers and Redskins/hawks score a similar amount of goals per game, 2.87 to 3.06 respectively, but it is the defense that is the big difference between the teams. The Lakers give up, a very respectable 2.71 goals per game. Miami again, is still the only team to allow less than 2 goals/game, at a 1.6 per contest average.

LSSU has made it a habit of sticking with one goalie all season, Brian Mahoney-Wilson. He comes in at 2.63 GAA, and #22 at .915 Sv%. BMW has 2 shutouts on the season.

Miami has continued with the rotation the past few weekends, and rightfully so. Reichard leads the nation in GAA (1.47), leads the nation in SV% (.934), and 2nd in the nation in shutouts (4).
            Knapp is second in the nation in GAA (1.85), 16th in Sv% (.919), and 3rd in the nation in shutouts (3).
            Together they are easily 1/2 in the CCHA in goaltending, along with totaling the most shutouts as a team this season.

In the last 10 games, Miami holds a significant edge at 7-3-0, although the Lakers have the upperhand when they swept us in the first year of the new Goggin in the second round playoffs.

Comment

Laker fan here. Hoping this is an entertaining series with decent officials. Our power-play has been very poor lately. If our power-play continues to stuggle, I expect you guys to sweep us. Goaltending has been a lot more consistent for us this year probably because of sticking just with one goalie unlike the past two years. Brian Mahoney-Wilson can steal a game and make huge saves, but can give up a real weak goal every now and then.

Our hottest player right now will be suspended Friday night, so that will hurt us. At least our other player right now with the hot hand, Will Acton wil play all weakend after sitting out last game with a (B.S.) suspension. The Lakers need at leasta split very badly in this super tight race 4th-10th. It won't come easy. You guys are by far the best team in CCHA and I wish you luck....after this weekend of course.
              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                Laker fan here. Hoping this is an entertaining series with decent officials. Our power-play has been very poor lately. If our power-play continues to stuggle, I expect you guys to sweep us. Goaltending has been a lot more consistent for us this year probably because of sticking just with one goalie unlike the past two years. Brian Mahoney-Wilson can steal a game and make huge saves, but can give up a real weak goal every now and then.

Our hottest player right now will be suspended Friday night, so that will hurt us. At least our other player right now with the hot hand, Will Acton wil play all weakend after sitting out last game with a (B.S.) suspension. The Lakers need at leasta split very badly in this super tight race 4th-10th. It won't come easy. You guys are by far the best team in CCHA and I wish you luck....after this weekend of course.
                Miami's powerplay has also been struggling a bit but we got healthy going 4 for 12 vs. Western. If that area of the game is clicking down the stretch, it would certainly give the offense a boost.

Last season we got past you guys 2-1 and 4-0 "up north" and I would suspect we'll see scores in that area this time around as well.
                http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

I was thinking about the earlier Hobey discussion and while Miami doesn't necessarily have a bona fide contender this year, though I also believe Reichard will be in the final 10, I'm guessing we will have players in the hunt for CCHA league awards.

Some possible nominations could include:

Defensive defenseman - Schilling, Weber

Offensive defenseman - Wideman

Offensive forward - Camper, Wingels

Defensive forward - Wingels

Rookie of the year - McKenzie

Goaltender of the year - Reichard

Player of the year - Reichard, Wingels

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                    Yeah its obviously a long shot that those teams make a run at us, buy for it to be official this weekend that is what would need to happen. Also in no way, if the season ended today, would they switch us from having Atlantic hockey to north Dakota. The first protocol is protecting the number one seed, and there aRe too many wcha teams at the moment. Let's keep up the ccha momentum boys and get that first of three champ banners we are after
                    Yea people forget that sometimes. Only 4 CCHA teams which is why they switched it last year. But if 6 teams make the tourny as projected they won't move anyone. With all that said, with UND's remaining schedule ( CC, SCSU, Duluth ) there is no way they end up a 4 seed. Its either out or a 3 at worst case. They could easily move up to a 2 before its all said and done with their remaining schedule.
                    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

http://www.ncaa.com/frozenfourskills...nge/index.html

Guys go here to vote for Palmer! ( Hopefully he will have to respectfully decline )

Comment

Nice. Definitely agree, hope he's ineligible to compete for that. A couple years ago we had 2 guys involved in the festivities that week. Jonesy with the Hobey final 3, and Moose was in the skills competition. I think he did the fastest skater competition?

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                          http://www.ncaa.com/frozenfourskills...nge/index.html

Guys go here to vote for Palmer! ( Hopefully he will have to respectfully decline )
                          Done. But, hopefully he never gets the chance to step on the ice for that!

Eight games left in the regular season. This last month of the season won't be finished fast enough for me. I'm always excited for the CCHA playoffs and this year is obviously no change. I wonder if this team will find a way to get back to the Joe this year?

Latest Moy Bracketology has us facing North Dakota in Fort Wayne in the first round. I could certainly think of better matchups. Hopefully that never comes to fruition because that would be an awful 1/4 match for us. Obviously, we can beat North Dakota, but if that matchup did happen, I guess it would be payback for what we did to UNH and DU over the past few years. Talk about a bad opponent for those #1 seeds!

RHM - I saw you post on the Bracketology forum that you'd prefer a tougher first round opponent for focus purposes. While I understand the theory, I'd still like to see the #1 overall seed (should we obtain that) be rewarded for an outstanding regular season by not having to face the 7 time national champions in the first round.
                          Last edited by redhawk95; 02-03-2010, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                            Done. But, hopefully he never gets the chance to step on the ice for that!

Eight games left in the regular season. This last month of the season won't be finished fast enough for me. I'm always excited for the CCHA playoffs and this year is obviously no change. I wonder if this team will find a way to get back to the Joe this year?

Latest Moy Bracketology has us facing North Dakota in Fort Wayne in the first round. I could certainly think of better matchups. Hopefully that never comes to fruition because that would be an awful 1/4 match for us. Obviously, we can beat North Dakota, but if that matchup did happen, I guess it would be payback for what we did to UNH and DU over the past few years. Talk about a bad opponent for those #1 seeds!

RHM - I saw you post on the Bracketology forum that you'd prefer a tougher first round opponent for focus purposes. While I understand the theory, I'd still like to see the #1 overall seed (should we obtain that) be rewarded for an outstanding regular season by not having to face the 7 time national champions in the first round.
                            Well yea in theory but look at past history and those AHA or CHA teams that came in a pulled upsets. Holy Cross, Bemidji, Air Force has almost done it twice (once against us). I think it would bode well to be challenged like we usually are.

Now with that said, North Dakota won't be a 4 seed. They have 3 series left against teams in the top 10 of the PWR and close out with Tech. They will either move up to a 3 or higher or be out of the tournament. Even if they go 5-3 in those games they would move up to a 3. A split against 3 top 10 teams would be more beneficial to them than hurt them. Again what other teams do around them will also hinder their seeding, but I don't see them ending up there nor do I see the committee making that call. They wouldn't be obligated to avoid the inter conference match up because their would be 6 WCHA teams in the tourny. The vast difference between RIT and say a UND would be too much for them to punish the #1 overall seed. Now should we not end up the #1 overall seed we can expect a tougher first round matchup. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple weeks. Lake st. still has a outside shot of getting in. Should they split with Miami this weekend they would be right in the hunt as would Michigan.

Comment

Everyone knows about basketball's March Madness (it is fun to watch, don't get me wrong). But there is such a "let's let everyone have a chance" mentality that way too many teams are admitted into that tournament that have no shot at winning more than 1 game (if they're lucky). Does anyone seriously believe that there are more than 6-8 teams that have a legitimate shot at winning the National Championship?!

On the flip side, college hockey has limited the number of bids and created a much more exciting tournament because of it...there are no easy outs. Just look at 09 (or '08) when 3 #1 seeds were upset in the 1st round! If you make it into the NCAA tourney, you earned every second of that 1st game. There are no handouts in hockey! Taking this into account, I would say it doesn't matter if you play ND in the first round your not, because you're going to get tested regardless. On the otherhand, i think i would rather face a team that doesn't have such great history in the tourney. I don't care what sport you're in...7 trophies is a LOT!
                              Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
                                Everyone knows about basketball's March Madness (it is fun to watch, don't get me wrong). But there is such a "let's let everyone have a chance" mentality that way too many teams are admitted into that tournament that have no shot at winning more than 1 game (if they're lucky). Does anyone seriously believe that there are more than 6-8 teams that have a legitimate shot at winning the National Championship?!

On the flip side, college hockey has limited the number of bids and created a much more exciting tournament because of it...there are no easy outs. Just look at 09 (or '08) when 3 #1 seeds were upset in the 1st round! If you make it into the NCAA tourney, you earned every second of that 1st game. There are no handouts in hockey! Taking this into account, I would say it doesn't matter if you play ND in the first round your not, because you're going to get tested regardless. On the otherhand, i think i would rather face a team that doesn't have such great history in the tourney. I don't care what sport you're in...7 trophies is a LOT!
                                Very true, it will all work itself out with over a month left until the selection process.

Speaking of basketball just heard it is almost certain that the field will be expanded to 96 teams !

Comment

Working...
                                X