X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

Rico says he hates the shootout.

Also that Hartman will be back tonight, at least thats the freshmen defencemen that I believe he was referring to since he wasn't in yesterday.

Comment

Absolutely dominant first period. up 3-0 and could have been worse. Camper and Miele have just been skating circles tonight. did i hear right, Miele took another contact to the head penalty at the end of the period? do they realize how improbable that is? he's so small he cant reach that high on most guys!

UAF's Greenham pulled from net before the game is 15 minutes old. tough break for the kid. gave up 3 goals, but he really should be responsible for 2. that goal on delayed penalty was just a beauty by Wingels and R. Smith. gave up a fluke goal to Tomassoni that he would love to have back. He was completely left out to dry on the one-timer by Palmer.
      Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Great road trip. Nice to have Miele dress again. Don't see how we can necessarily roll the dice and just ride Reich, Knapp has been just as impressive this season. Most teams would kill to have them as their #1. Gets his 3rd shutout of the season in only 10 starts.

Nice to go to Russi........ errr Alaska and come home with 5 points. We've had a 20 point swing over Ferris in the last 4 games (we've got 11 of 12 possible points, they've lost 9 of 12 possible points).

Comment

Nice to see Conner get the shutout. Nice 5 point weekend. I'm kind of wondering what set the bench off, cuz I was in tears (partly laughter, partly misery) about the 1:1 penalty-to-minute ratio in the last 15 minutes.

This weekend was a perfect example of the difference between good teams and very good teams. It isn't the quality of your first line, or even your second line. Those two lines usually wash out. It's the play of the 4th line that really sets the best teams apart. Miami's 4th line simply outplayed Alaska all night long.

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

Comment

Miami: 10 games remaining. 75 points max
            Ferris: 10 games remaining. 67 points max
            MSU: 8 games remaining. 62 points max
            Michigan: 10 games remaining. 58 points max

Lake: 8 games remaining. 56 points max
            OSU: 10 games remaining. 56 points max
            UAF: 8 games remaining. 54 points max
            ND: 8 games remaining. 53 points max

NMU: 10 games remaining. 53 points max
            UNO: 8 games remaining. 51 points max
            WMU: 10 games remaining. 41 points max
            BGSU: 8 games remaining. 40 points max

Comment

Nice job getting five points and another shutout (rather than shootout).

Watched Ferris and Michigan. Great game. I must admit I felt odd rooting for UM against Ferris. FSU played well, especially without Chupp and the other guy who is out. Looked like will over skill, but Ferris was much better than Friday in all phases and Nagle was good.

Miami is to the point where they need to take care of their own business. Only one thing to do now and that is beat Western Friday. I know Coach Blasi always says the Alaska trip is more about the week after than the trip itself. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                Great road trip. Nice to have Miele dress again. Don't see how we can necessarily roll the dice and just ride Reich, Knapp has been just as impressive this season. Most teams would kill to have them as their #1. Gets his 3rd shutout of the season in only 10 starts.

Nice to go to Russi........ errr Alaska and come home with 5 points. We've had a 20 point swing over Ferris in the last 4 games (we've got 11 of 12 possible points, they've lost 9 of 12 possible points).
                Don't agree with your point about the goaltenders. You can absolutely ride Cody, he has proven in his two years he can handle it. You could ride connor too if you wanted as well for that matter. I think you are doing more harm to Connor by playing Cody in the bigger games and spot starting Connor. Come playoffs you are going to have to ride one horse anyways. I am all for giving Connor starts every now and then. I would expect both to play next weekend but by the Ohio st. series you should have your guy who goes from then on out. Another thing is, if they keep rotating goaltenders you are harming any chance cody has at being a Hobey finalist because of game totals.

With that said, great weekend for Miami. 5 out of 6 on the alaskan road trip is always solid. Ferris played really well last night, Hogan let in two soft goals. ND is cooked IMO as far as a first round bye goes, Michigan has a chance still but they still are too inconsistant for my taste. Great production last night from a wide range of guys. Next weekend can be a big trap weekend with Western coming to town. Great to see the boys playing well after the stumble they had. Hope they can keep it up, I really want a NCAA trip to Ft. Wayne!
                Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

7 point lead + 2 games in hand for Conference Regular Season Title. Feels good for today...must get back to the grind tomorrow morning and prep for Western.

Comment

It's #1 vs #12 this weekend at the Goggin, as we take on the Western Michigan Broncos. We went up to Lawson and took 5 points earlier in the season.

Miami in the last 10 games is 7-2-1. Western is 1-6-3 over their last 10 games.

Western's leading points producers are JJ Crew (7-10--17) and Greg Squires (3-14--17. They have 6 players with over 10 points.

Miami is led by Wingles (13-15--28) and Camper (10-16--26). They have 9 players with over 10 points, and even 4 players with 20+ points.

Western has used Riley Gill much of the season, he has a 5-10-4 record with 1 shutout. Also has a 2.76 GAA and a .920 SV%.

Miami went back to the tandem again last weekend, Reichard with a 12-2-3 record, 4 shutouts, 1.49 GAA, and a .933 SV%. With the exception of the shutout, he leads the country in winning percentage, GAA, and SV%.
                    Knapp has an equally respectable 4-2-3 record with 3 shutouts, 1.94 GAA, and .918 SV%. Knapp is 4th in the country in GAA, and tied for 3rd in shutouts.
                    In CCHA games they rank 1/2... With Knapp being 1st in both categories.

Miami averages 3.08 goals/game while Western's defense typically gives up 2.88. Western scores 2.17 goals/game while we give up 1.69 goals/game. Miami is the only club that has a team defense that allows fewer than 2 goals per game.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                      It's #1 vs #12 this weekend at the Goggin, as we take on the Western Michigan Broncos. We went up to Lawson and took 5 points earlier in the season.

Miami in the last 10 games is 7-2-1. Western is 1-6-3 over their last 10 games.

Western's leading points producers are JJ Crew (7-10--17) and Greg Squires (3-14--17. They have 6 players with over 10 points.

Miami is led by Wingles (13-15--28) and Camper (10-16--26). They have 9 players with over 10 points, and even 4 players with 20+ points.

Western has used Riley Gill much of the season, he has a 5-10-4 record with 1 shutout. Also has a 2.76 GAA and a .920 SV%.

Miami went back to the tandem again last weekend, Reichard with a 12-2-3 record, 4 shutouts, 1.49 GAA, and a .933 SV%. With the exception of the shutout, he leads the country in winning percentage, GAA, and SV%.
                      Knapp has an equally respectable 4-2-3 record with 3 shutouts, 1.94 GAA, and .918 SV%. Knapp is 4th in the country in GAA, and tied for 3rd in shutouts.
                      In CCHA games they rank 1/2... With Knapp being 1st in both categories.

Miami averages 3.08 goals/game while Western's defense typically gives up 2.88. Western scores 2.17 goals/game while we give up 1.69 goals/game. Miami is the only club that has a team defense that allows fewer than 2 goals per game.
                      Thing that sticks out to me, great job with all of that btw jd, is how good Gill has been with all things considered. Playing on a very bad team that struggles to score goals and he sports a sub 3 GAA is impressive, IMO.
                      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

I know its early but it isn't that early. Redeagle will yell at me for bringing this up but its out there.

I know JD has seen it, the new bracketology is out. Miami is slated to go to Ft. Wayne and play the AHA champ in the first round with Ferris playing Vermont as the 2-3 matchup in this region. Personally if it can shake out this way it would bode very well for Miami, IMO. with that said this will change a lot over the next couple of weeks but is getting to that time to start paying attention to it. UNH and SCSU have moved up tremendously in the PWR which bodes well for Miami and why those two series were really big for Miami early in the season in regards to the PWR.

Comment

Yes, it is January. Ok to specualte/hope for Ft. Wayne, not about who else will be there--a long way off for both though.

Yes, Gill also has a .92 save percentage. This is the trap rhm has mentioned, especially with Gill. If there is any good from RMU (and I don't believe there is), maybe respecting all opponents will be a postive byproduct.

Comment

I noticed that about Gill too, if they weren't having such offensive struggles they wouldn't be at the bottom of the league.

And its definitely nice seeing we took 3 points from the Hockey East leaders, and a sweep of the WCHA second place team. Some good TUC points.

I saw the brackets, and while it is hard to say who we could potentially face, since that will change with every weekend, we pretty much control our own destiny to get Fort Wayne (unless Notre Dame somehow sneaks in as a 4 seed).

Comment

I wrote over at MU Redhawks Hockey Blog and at Jackets Required that Knapp has 5 shutouts in 33 career games. Not a bad number at all for your backup keeper. I think it's good to keep him fresh. I don't mind starting Cody both nights at Ferris, but just in case Cody gets hurt or has a couple down games, it's nice to know that Connor is ready and mentally on his game and that he could come in and do the job.

Frankly, the Miami crease is a good place to be.

Consider:

- We allow just over 23 shots-against per game
                              - We have blocked 327 shots this year or more than 12 per game
                              - Spinell (6'1"), Schilling (6'2"), Hartman (6'4") and Weber (6'4") make quite an intimidating lot back there and LoVerde isn't afraid to throw the body or block shots (in fact, he leads the team in blocked shots).

With that kind of wall in front, it definitely makes it a little easier for both Cody and Connor. Of course, you still have to make the saves and they've both been solid.
                              http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Regarding Gill, I saw him live and in person during the 1-1 tie/shootout win in Kalamazoo earlier this year when he nearly stole that game for Western. At the least, he stole a point and made several head-shaking saves. He is very solid and we'll need to do more than just settle for wristers and throwing pucks to the net to be successful. We'll need to create traffic, move our feet and the puck, and get Gill moving side to side. I've been critical of our lack of fundamentals in this sense over the years and we still fall into this problem from time to time.
                                http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Working...
                                X