X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
    For me how the goaltenders will be handles is the most interesting part about the weekend. UND is obviously a bigger game, but should you reverse it or play cody both nights you are killing connors confidence IMO. If you go with cody both nights, you go with cody the rest of the year IMO. You are right he hasn't played in as many big games but he did spend a couple weeks at the USA junior camp this fall so he has seen good competition.
    I thought about that, too, but you have to believe that Rico has pulled the fellas aside. Who knows? Regardless, they're both big games against Top 10 teams!

I have confidence in both guys, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I have more trust in Reichard. Guy has been outstanding all year and throughout crunch time last year.
    http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
      I could see one of two things happening in the UND/OSU game.
      1. Close, competitive game.
      2. UND takes it to them, taking out their frustrations after their DU weekend.

UND doesn't play over aggressive IMO. They are a quick transition team when they are playing well, which can lead to some odd man rushes and good chances. UND's dmen have been smart about pinching at the right times, and overall our defense/goaltending has been better than I anticipated entering the season.

We have three dmen that can really move the puck well in Genoway (status still unknown), Marto, and Gleason and provide offensive spark from the blueline. Blood and MacWilliam are monsters back there that will hit, and then hit some more. Both have shown that they can play good defensive hockey. Fienhage, another big kid, will play if Genoway can't.

For forwards...VandeVelde and Malone are true power forwards, Toews and Gregoire are snipers, Trupp and Kristo are both fast, skilled puckhandlers, and Zajac, Lammy, and Hextall are great at cycling the puck down low and creating opportunities from that.
      Fair enough, maybe over aggressive was inacurate to say they are all the time. They do play an aggressive forecheck like Miami and in the 6 or so games I have watched of them they have been getting caught more than past seasons.

I think something to watch in this game is the transition play, who can get back in support more because both teams have defensemen that can move the puck quickly and aren't shy of getting involved in the play. I think Miami has a little more depth than UND overall but UND may have 2 guys that just stand out above the rest. Miami has some smaller forwards that are extremely skilled and will make some great plays but nothing really in the wow factor but they roll 4 deep.
      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
        It would have been awesome then if Miami still had Kevin Roeder running around back there to match hits. We don't have an overly physical D, but they are very big and mobile - particularly Schilling and Weber (that is, both big and mobile, not to say the smaller guys aren't mobile). Sounds like both teams can roll 3, 4 lines so I think Saturday should be exciting hockey. As of right now, I'll suggest a 3-2, 2-1 type game based on what I've seen from each team thus far this season. Will be a big win for whichever team comes out on top.

Miami will be riding a couple of streaks into Saturday's game, regardless of the outcome of Friday night's contest.

1. Unbeaten on the road at 6-0-2. Even if they should drop the Friday game against the Beavers, that would technically be a "neutral site" game though I'm certain the vast majority of Sioux fans will be cheering for their soon-to-be conference mates.

2. Miami has won six in a row vs. WCHA teams. The last team to defeat Miami from the W was North Dakota at the Lefty McFadden Invitational in Dayton in 2005.

Wish I could be there in person. Will be a good weekend of hockey.

I think its funny that this "tournament" is going on the same weekend as the college hockey showcase because the better games are in this tourny and not that.

I would actually like to see this happen every year rotating between sites. OSU has a great facility as does Miami and with BSU building a new building im sure theirs would be more than sufficient to host. I just think that each year atleast half of the field will be highly ranked and will be comeptitive games.
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Should we stay disciplin we can get opportunities on the PP. I think they will have some trouble with our puck possesion. I hope the defense continues to play well, should they then UND will be limited in their chances and will get frustrated. When they do that they take dumb penalties.
          Big difference for UND if at home, rather than on the road. Both UND and Miami have played 6 home games. UND has limited opponents to just 25 pps during it's games, while Miami's opponents have had 35 chances.

UND is much more likely to give up pp's on the road, at least this year.

Also, other than this past Saturday, in a huge game against a long time rival, I can't think of a single instance this year where the team has taken a "frustration" penalty, and certainly not because their shots or chances were limited or shut down. Case in point, in the series against St. Cloud, the Huskies played great defense in game one, limiting UND to just 25 shots, but UND gave up only 3 pps. The next night UND picked up a season high 49 shots on goal, but gave up 7 pps.

If you guys want to frustrate the Sioux, I recommend that you give them many shots on goal.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
            Agreed. BSU appears much better than last year - and, didn't they get to the national semifinal meaning they were probably pretty good then?

I think you see Reichard both nights - or he reverses it and plays Knapp on Friday - but that might be strange. UND might be a game that overwhelms Connor. He has not played in nearly as many BIG games as Cody. Right now, my money's on Reichard both nights.

GREAT story on espn.com about Miami student hockey manager Brendan Burke (Brian Burke's son). Goes without saying how blessed we are to have Coach Blasi and the fine young men he chooses to bring to campus. Makes me proud to be a Miamian!

http://bit.ly/4CuH78
            Thanks for the link '95. Great story. My guess is neither of us needs any more pride, but now we have it, (no matter what happens this weekend )We are indeed lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              Big difference for UND if at home, rather than on the road. Both UND and Miami have played 6 home games. UND has limited opponents to just 25 pps during it's games, while Miami's opponents have had 35 chances.

UND is much more likely to give up pp's on the road, at least this year.

Also, other than this past Saturday, in a huge game against a long time rival, I can't think of a single instance this year where the team has taken a "frustration" penalty, and certainly not because their shots or chances were limited or shut down. Case in point, in the series against St. Cloud, the Huskies played great defense in game one, limiting UND to just 25 shots, but UND gave up only 3 pps. The next night UND picked up a season high 49 shots on goal, but gave up 7 pps.

If you guys want to frustrate the Sioux, I recommend that you give them many shots on goal.
              Well that could be an issue because Miami doesn't allow many shots on goal.

There is more to frustration than power plays or penalties. You are soley counting power plays, but in most situations they are coincidental penalties. Both teams need to play disciplin, Miami's PK hasn't been as good this year as it has the past two seasons.

Comment

Here's something interesting: 3 of the top 5 goaltenders statistically will be in grand forks this weekend...another reason to believe there won't be a lot of scoring this weekend.

Comment

Well that could be an issue because Miami doesn't allow many shots on goal.

There is more to frustration than power plays or penalties. You are soley counting power plays, but in most situations they are coincidental penalties. Both teams need to play disciplin, Miami's PK hasn't been as good this year as it has the past two seasons.
                  It hasn't been as good defensively (had a few lapses, thank you UNH Saturday game....), but it has been amazing offensively. When Miele and Palmer are on the ice on the PK it is almost as if we have our own powerplay even when we're a man down. I'm surprised we haven't scored more SHGs than we have yet. You can bet they are coming though.

Comment

speaking of top goalies, we've already faced 4 of those top 11 (5 of 12 if you count practicing against Reich). 5 of the top 12 in GAA too (6 of 13 again with Reich in practice).

Comment

Fair enough, maybe over aggressive was inacurate to say they are all the time. They do play an aggressive forecheck like Miami and in the 6 or so games I have watched of them they have been getting caught more than past seasons.

I think something to watch in this game is the transition play, who can get back in support more because both teams have defensemen that can move the puck quickly and aren't shy of getting involved in the play. I think Miami has a little more depth than UND overall but UND may have 2 guys that just stand out above the rest. Miami has some smaller forwards that are extremely skilled and will make some great plays but nothing really in the wow factor but they roll 4 deep.
                      I'd be curious to know who UND's 2 guys are that are the stand outs above the rest of the team. (I assume you're including Genoway here?) most of the UND fan base feels the "top end" guys that were expected to lead the team offensively haven't produced this year as they were expected to and it's been the less-heralded depth guys that have gotten the job done. I feel UND has probably some of the best depth in the country with the ability to field a 4th line with 3 draft picks on it that presents a mismatch for a lot of teams and don't really see any game-changing players. I would guess the depth between UND and Miami are pretty similar, but I've only seen Miami play one game this year and three last year, so I can't say for certain.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                        I'd be curious to know who UND's 2 guys are that are the stand outs above the rest of the team. (I assume you're including Genoway here?) most of the UND fan base feels the "top end" guys that were expected to lead the team offensively haven't produced this year as they were expected to and it's been the less-heralded depth guys that have gotten the job done. I feel UND has probably some of the best depth in the country with the ability to field a 4th line with 3 draft picks on it that presents a mismatch for a lot of teams and don't really see any game-changing players. I would guess the depth between UND and Miami are pretty similar, but I've only seen Miami play one game this year and three last year, so I can't say for certain.

I think genoway and Van delvelde sp? are stand out players. I wasn't saying UND doesn't have depth because they do, but IMO I think Miami is the deepest team in the country. They have 2 or 3 guys that don't dress each night that can be impact players. The number of draft picks a team has doesn't translate to success, case in point Wisconsin.

Comment

The number of draft picks a team has doesn't translate to success, case in point Wisconsin.
                          UW has been pretty good this year. You should say Minnesota instead.
                          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Rico Blasi is one of our guests on The Hockey Show this week:

http://thehockeyshow.blogspot.com

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by moose97; 11-26-2009, 07:54 AM.
                            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                            ECAC:
                            HEA: UMass
                            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                              Rico Blasi is one of our guests on The Hockey Show this week:

http://thehockeyshow.blogsport.com

Enjoy!
                              I listened to this show just before the F4 and once again really enjoyed the show.
                              "The only Happy Camper is the guy leaving the camp site!" - Jimmy G.

"This guy takes a tele-prompter to an Eye-Chart Test!" - Dennis Miller on Barak Obama

Comment

So this random guy can get an audio interview with the team onto the interwebs, but nobody from Miami can do the same for any postgame insight or anything? Lame.

Comment

Working...
                                X