This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

forgot wingles got picked up too, but i have to agree with him assuming the sole leadership role with the club he has probably bought into the brothership mentality the most and would think he'd be the last person to leave the team early.

anyways a few hours away from the ferris series, hoping that we keep up the full 60 minutes and come out firing on all cylinders, we've had a lot of big weekends already and can't afford a let down here especially with the 3 point wins in the conference, can't drop winnable games.

Comment

Speaking of recruits, here's a quick run down of how the kids are doing right now.

Berschbach, Shane (F) -Indiana/USHL
      4-1--5 in 6 games and a +3 for the Ice
      5-3--8 in 5 games at the World Junior A Challenge

Wideman, Alex (F) - Indiana/USHL
      11 games. 2 goals, 1 assist, and a -6.

Murphy, Cody (F)Tri City Storm(USHL)
      9 games, 1 goal. -1. 15 PIM.
      Looks like this kid is going to be more of a role/checking player in Oxford.

Cook, Max (F) - Indianapolis Ice (USHL)
      8 games. 3-4--7. +2

And the most impressive two for last...
      Mullin, Jimmy (RW) -- Shattuck St.Mary's
      This kid is definitely going to be something special in Oxford, there's a lot to say about someone that leads the SSM U 16 team in scoring, then goes and leads the big club in scoring as well. Lots of great players come from that organisation.

20 games played. 11-14--25.

Gacek, Alex (F) Monarchs (EJHL)
      Gacek is a '93, and is easily one of the youngest kids in the league, competing against some guys in their 20's.
      15 games played. 15-15--30.

Thats good enough for the league lead in goals, only 2 points behind the league lead there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
        Speaking of recruits, here's a quick run down of how the kids are doing right now.

Berschbach, Shane (F) -Indiana/USHL
        4-1--5 in 6 games and a +3 for the Ice
        5-3--8 in 5 games at the World Junior A Challenge

Wideman, Alex (F) - Indiana/USHL
        11 games. 2 goals, 1 assist, and a -6.

Murphy, Cody (F)Tri City Storm(USHL)
        9 games, 1 goal. -1. 15 PIM.
        Looks like this kid is going to be more of a role/checking player in Oxford.

Cook, Max (F) - Indianapolis Ice (USHL)
        8 games. 3-4--7. +2

And the most impressive two for last...
        Mullin, Jimmy (RW) -- Shattuck St.Mary's
        This kid is definitely going to be something special in Oxford, there's a lot to say about someone that leads the SSM U 16 team in scoring, then goes and leads the big club in scoring as well. Lots of great players come from that organisation.

20 games played. 11-14--25.

Gacek, Alex (F) Monarchs (EJHL)
        Gacek is a '93, and is easily one of the youngest kids in the league, competing against some guys in their 20's.
        15 games played. 15-15--30.

Thats good enough for the league lead in goals, only 2 points behind the league lead there as well.
        What Gacek is doing is impressive, honestly it mirrors what Paul Statsny did at 15-16 in the CSHL and look how that turned out for him. I believe it is across the board in juniors in the Tier III level you can only carry 4 20 yr olds. ( that could of changed when the leagues went from Junior B to Junior A, but thats how it was 4 years ago.) but 20 is the max age for juniors and you are right he is playing against probably 90% of the league that is older than him.
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
          forgot wingles got picked up too, but i have to agree with him assuming the sole leadership role with the club he has probably bought into the brothership mentality the most and would think he'd be the last person to leave the team early.

anyways a few hours away from the ferris series, hoping that we keep up the full 60 minutes and come out firing on all cylinders, we've had a lot of big weekends already and can't afford a let down here especially with the 3 point wins in the conference, can't drop winnable games.

Hope you guys didn't take that the wrong way. I don't know anything, I just threw Tommy's name out because for me he is the most ready besides Pat Canonne but Pat isn't drafted. I don't see anyone else that could jump early, but it would have to be someone wouldn't it? Unless someone gets redshirted, I don't see how they will make it work. Murphy looks like he won't be expected to do to much, but I would expect Mullin, Berschbach, and Wideman to come in and play right away. So Cook and Murphy are odd men out as forwards next year along with Mantha and mason. That still gives you 16 forwards...unless either Mantha or Mason are heading out of town which could happen I guess.

Also I would anticipate another goaltender coming to town next year, but would be a walk on most likely to secure the 3rd goaltender role. While Saska is doing a great job and is great for the program you need someone more reliable back there in case we have another situation like we did at NMU. You want to be able to let your back up who is sick with the flu rest and not have to fly up to dress.
          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Weekend preview posted (belatedly) for your consideration at Jackets Required.

http://bit.ly/427LIF
            http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

One of the things that has helped develop Miami's program is the fact that we don't have guys that jump early. I love the type of players that the staff gets - they stay for typically a full 4 years and develop as long as possible. It helps get these guys to buy into the "Brotherhood". We Hawk fans are blessed.

I only bring this up in light of Minnesota's debacle of recent years. I haven't been following hockey for a decade yet, but it seems like it's a fricking revolving door over there. I realize that Minny's a premiere program, but it seems to be slipping when they can't count on guys being there.

Heading over the Bailey's in the Commons (here in Ballston) to catch the game on NHL Network.

Go Hawks!
              "The only Happy Camper is the guy leaving the camp site!" - Jimmy G.

"This guy takes a tele-prompter to an Eye-Chart Test!" - Dennis Miller on Barak Obama

Comment

Well saw this effort coming tonight. Lack of focuse and looked slow at times.

Only one game and one game doesn't define a season, so we will see how they bounce back tomorrow night.

One thing I noticed tonight that really bugged me is how many times and multiple players that just quit moving their feet when they get into the offensive zone. It happened countless times tonight by miele, camper, wingles, palmer etc they all seemed to do it. I don't understand it, makes no sense you create more chances and draw more penalties by moving your feet and driving to the net. It's awful easy to guard someone who is gliding or standing still.

Comment

Yea I guess that answers our question of whether this team will keep up the intensity of the first 10 games, not so much.

Saw glimpses of this team playing their game and buzzing around the net, hit a few posts, a game we shouldn't have let go to overtime.

Congrats to Ferris, they did a good job of sitting back playing the trap for most the game then hitting a quick transition. Bob Daniels coached them up in the intermission and timeout in overtime about how to sit back and clear the puck, 'Rico didn't say a word to our boys. Need to come out and get 3 points tonight. Currently tied for first with Sparty in the league, so maybe Michigan can get off the skid and help us out there.

Good news though, how about Miele and Palmer on the PK. They had more opportunities shorthanded than Ferris did on the Powerplay.

Comment

Do you know if there is a place that shows Miami's lines prior to the game?
                    I'm just wondering if Miami will start Reichard or Knapp for tonight's rematch against FSU.

Thanks guys.
                    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                      Do you know if there is a place that shows Miami's lines prior to the game?
                      I'm just wondering if Miami will start Reichard or Knapp for tonight's rematch against FSU.

Thanks guys.
                      Best place I would look is the game tracker. That or try to tune into the radio broadcast before the game. Hope that helps.

Comment

First off: Congrats to Ferris State. They are a good club and played to their strengths very well. Nice job and good luck the rest of the way.

That being said, this was the poorest performance of the year. I don't see how you can tie an inferior (IMO) opponent one night and not come out fired up the next. They were listless, immobile, stagnant, etc. Their passing was abysmal. The shot selection was poor. While you could say it was caused by FS clogging the lane, it's Miami's fault for not moving around and forcing the D out of the shooting lanes. They cannot play like this throughout the CCHA and get away with it.

Now don't get me wrong, Rico & Assoc. Inc. will turn this around. I expect them to fix a few things and come back on fire next week. Question, though: we had a few guys back from long absences. Could the problem have been just getting their "game legs" back? I don't think so, but just a thought.
                        Last edited by muredhawks2008; 11-14-2009, 09:15 PM.

"This guy takes a tele-prompter to an Eye-Chart Test!" - Dennis Miller on Barak Obama

Comment

Originally posted by muredhawks2008 View Post
                          First off: Congrats to Ferris State. They are a good club and played to their strengths very well. Nice job and good luck the rest of the way.

That being said, this was the poorest performance of the year. I don't see how you can tie an inferior (IMO) opponent one night and not come out fired up the next. They were listless, immobile, stagnant, etc. Their passing was abysmal. The shot selection was poor. While you could say it was caused by FS clogging the lane, it's Miami's fault for not moving around and forcing the D out of the shooting lanes. They cannot play like this throughout the CCHA and get away with it.

Now don't get me wrong, Rico & Assoc. Inc. will turn this around. I expect them to fix a few things and come back on fire next week. Question, though: we had a few guys back from long absences. Could the problem have been just getting their "game legs" back? I don't think so, but just a thought.
                          Well they played better tonight than they did friday. But I said it all week long, Ferris is better than some on here gave them credit for.

Listen, its a long year. Yes they looked horrible this weekend but it's just two games. The first 10, for the most part, they looked great. So yes its dissapointing they tied twice to ferris but two ties are better than two losses. Now this does hurt in the conference standings with MSU sweeping Mich they now have a two point lead in the conference standings.

As for the long lay off, that shouldn't be an issues at this point 12 games into the season. Those guys have been practicing so their legs should be good to go.

I think it will be a long week of practice for the boys in Red and White and hopefully they take it out on western.

As a side note, I watched both North Dakota games this weekend against St. Cloud and those boys are big. They pose a really bad match up for our squad with how big and physical and gritty they play.

Last side note, LOL, Great game by Connor Knapp tonight. Good to see him get back on the ice after being sick and playing extremely well.

Comment

Based on some of the comments, my guess is Ferris won the shootout? No notation of it on this sites score page or collegehockeystats.com. So who did get the extra point?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                              Based on some of the comments, my guess is Ferris won the shootout? No notation of it on this sites score page or collegehockeystats.com. So who did get the extra point?
                              Ferris won 2-1 in the shootout after 11 rounds.

Comment

Wow, Ferris definitely had our number. I don't know what it is but they seem always to play us super tough. I agree with RHM, this was a lousy weekend of play for us. I have to give it to Ferris, they played smart, spirited, and seem to know how to handle us. But as RHM said, this is only one weekend. It's like, whew, glad that that is over with. On to the next weekend. I am confident that the boys will be back next time out. Question for all....did it seem like our guys were "dragging" up to the goal on the shootout with no confidence or life in their stride? I will be interested to hear some of your take on that. They didn't show much spark the entire weekend so maybe it was just more of the same. Anyway......GO SKINS!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X