X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
    Care to revise your statement, sir?
    lol he's an idiot, he probably still thinks NMU will sweep lol.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Tomassoni was scratched due to the flu so I guess he had it "worse."

We were lucky to get out of there with Saturday's win.

Friday, we let the foot off the gas when we got up by four, and I gotta say, there is no lead that seems safe in hockey these days...Oilers blow 5-1 lead to Wings the other night and lose in shootout...Flames blow 5-0 lead to Hawks and lose in OT...there was some game in April where a team lost a two-goal lead in the last minute, etc. Comebacks are all the rage in every level of hockey it seems. You just have to keep playing to win.

With our record at Yost, a split is the same as a sweep. I'm going Saturday night so will meet up with anyone who's there.
      Thanks for the update, I wasnt sure what was going on had been out of town. Hopefully they will get better by this weekend. I love the jab you threw in there at the end!

I know its only the first weekend of Novemeber but this is a huge series. With us only playing them twice and knowing we will be battling them for the conference top 4 and reg. title we need atleast one win here. A sweep would be amazing and a far fetch, but hopefully the fact that this team is battle tested so far and played in some hostile road environments.
      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

It's Michigan week.

The good news?

A chance to improve upon a 3-43-1 all time record at Yost. Frankly, that's almost inconceivable, but it's true.

My expectations are tempered. We just don't play these guys well that often - even our very best teams have struggled to beat them. Obviously, in Michigan we're almost never successful.

I don't like their skill vs. our system. Once Michigan has their legs, they tend to dominate us. Only when we're playing our very best hockey, do we dictate the pace and flow. Fortunately, I don't think we've played anything close to our best hockey yet so it's tough to say how we'll perform. I'm still looking for that team that dominated the national tournament and the best team in college hockey causing BU to pull their goaltender just to compete.

I don't think we've seen that team yet. Perhaps we will this weekend, but the odds are against it.
        Last edited by redhawk95; 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM.
        http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Like I mentioned in the other thread, our all time Redskins/Wolverines record may be atrocious, but within the past few years its actually even, 5-5-1. This series has been very competitive in last 5 years or so, and the sweep at the hands of them at Yost last season was part of the Christmas Rico Swoon, not to mention Camper and Merc got hurt in the Friday night game, along with Reich having a horrible weekend. I expect close results this weekend, a hopefully flu-less team, and a split.

Comment

It's Michigan week.

The good news?

A chance to improve upon a 3-43-1 all time record at Yost. Frankly, that's almost inconceivable, but it's true.

My expectations are tempered. We just don't play these guys well that often - even our very best teams have struggled to beat them. Obviously, in Michigan we're almost never successful.

I don't like their skill vs. our system. Once Michigan has their legs, they tend to dominate us. Only when we're playing our very best hockey, do we dictate the pace and flow. Fortunately, I don't think we've played anything close to our best hockey yet so it's tough to say how we'll perform. I'm still looking for that team that dominated the national tournament and the best team in college hockey causing BU to pull their goaltender just to compete.

I don't think we've seen that team yet. Perhaps we will this weekend, but the odds are against it.
            I agree we have yet to play our best, but even with that staggering number at yost this is a different Miami team. I look back to how Miami went toe to toe with Michigan last year in oxford, this program has a different attitude now than it did maybe even only 3 or 4 years ago.

IMO when you look at the season so far and the talent from top to bottom, to be where we are as the #1 team in the country and sitting 6-1-1 without playing your best is a good spot. Which leads me to believe certain things that I am just not willing to say yet because were 8 games in and I know if I do redeagle will put me in my place so I will reserve them for a later date, hopefully . But I just feel this is a different team and you can throw a lot of that history out of the window because the program is now, IMO, on par with the one in Michigan. This team has a certain swagger about them, and I truly believe it stems from the title game and the fact they all know deep down they out played a team that was touted as one of the best ever in college hockey. Even though they lost they know they "should" of won but didn't. All of these things are positive and reasons why I don't think they will be intimidated and, IMO, has a slight psychological edge on Michigan this weekend.

Don't get me wrong Michigan is still very very good and there is a reason they are #4 in the country, but they are vulnerable and outside of their blow out wins this weekend they have been rocky at times. I still think it will be a split and two great games to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
              Like I mentioned in the other thread, our all time Redskins/Wolverines record may be atrocious, but within the past few years its actually even, 5-5-1. This series has been very competitive in last 5 years or so, and the sweep at the hands of them at Yost last season was part of the Christmas Rico Swoon, not to mention Camper and Merc got hurt in the Friday night game, along with Reich having a horrible weekend. I expect close results this weekend, a hopefully flu-less team, and a split.
              Truth - the Rico swoon is real! (unfortunately)

Comment

For anyone in the Columbus area who isn't headed up to Ann Arbor this weekend, there will be a game watch for the Saturday game at Fado Irish Pub at Easton (4022 Townsfair Way, Columbus).

There will be FREE appetizers for anyone wearing Miami gear, all-you-can-afford beer on tap, good company, and, of course, some great ice hockey!

Shoot me an email if you need more details.
                Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Looking forward to a "later date", rhm.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                    Looking forward to a "later date", rhm.
                    Haha I am too, I just think its too early to say and I know you would agree it is too. We will see how the season plays out, but early indications are promising.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                      Haha I am too, I just think its too early to say and I know you would agree it is too. We will see how the season plays out, but early indications are promising.
                      We'll definitely see what this teams potential is after this weekend and the Thanksgiving trip to North Dakota. Should be exciting, lets hope that after the first month we've learned to put a full game together.

Wire to Wire.

Comment

Ok so I was thinking about this and wanted to throw it out there to you guys and see what you think.

In regards to practice time and when you are allowed to first hold your practice, why in Hockey is it only a week-week and a half before your first game? When you look at other sports at the collegiate level they got much more time to prepare for the season. For instance Basketball is starting up ( which is why I started thinking about this ) and they will have atleast 3 weeks of practice before they play their first games. Football gets nearly a month, and baseball gets 2 weeks in the fall and atleast two after winter break. So why is hockey different? Why does hockey get such a short start up time to prepare?

Comment

Couple other things, I encourage everyone to go over to insidecollegehockey.com and read their cocktail napkin bit on the shootout mess from omaha last weekend, its pretty funny.

Also was checking around the recruiting trail, and Alex Gacek is having a remarkable year so far. in 13 games he has 14 goals and 13 assists with 10 pts on the PP. A great sign in a pretty good league.

Berschbach only has 4 goals and 1 assits in 6 games

Wideman with only 1 goal and 1 assit in 8 games ( BTW he doesnt look anything like his brother, just a side note lol )

Cook with only 2 goals and 2 assit in 5 games ( He is still tiny and needs to put more weight on before he gets here )

And now cody Murphy, this kid is puzzling. He hasn't put up even marginal #'s. This year he only has 1 goal in 6 games is a - 1 with 15 PIM. After putting up poor numbers last year, this kid doesn't seem to be fitting the hype he had coming into juniors.

All forwards and only one guy hitting the 6 ft mark but he would fall over if you blow on him lol. Two guys at 5'8, good thing we have some big bruisers on the backline!

Comment

Well, my Saturday plans to be in Ann Arbor for the game are on life support. I ordered tickets through Stub Hub on Tuesday, but the seller has yet to confirm and ship the tickets. If they renege and don't, I'm probably watching from home. However, that could rekindle my thoughts about going to Grand Forks. Don't know for sure.
                            Last edited by redhawk95; 11-05-2009, 02:02 PM.

Comment

How about the 4th line seeing a lot of ice in a Michigan game and making a big impact?

For as much as Brandon smith frustrates you at times, kid played well tonight and can't say enough about a guy like Dane Heatland. Congrats to him on getting the insurrance goal and never giving up. For a guy who hasn't played in two years to get the nod and produce is a great sign. Also hats off to the coaching staff for recognizing his great effort and giving him an opportunity tonight.

Lastly but not least, Cody Reichard continues to amaze me. This kid is better than I thought for sure. I don't think you can say enough about him to come back from a horrible 4 game stretch in the middle of the season last year and play well in the NCAA tourny and then to come back from that brutal last min collapse in the title game to be spectacular this season. I still stand by the fact that I think Connor Knapp still has more upside and at the end of their careers he will be the better goalie, but at this very moment Cody is playing at another level and I don't see how you sit this kid. IMO Cody plays tomorrow and you ride it out, he has made the difference in the last three games that could of easily been three losses for Miami had they not gotten great goaltending. It isn't that I don't trust Connor because I do, and he hasn't played bad this year, he has played well but I just feel you need to ride this wave with cody because he is playing at another level.

Comment

Nice W for the Redhawks tonight. They seem to have things firing on all cylinders.
                                Go Pioneers!

Comment

Working...
                                X