Bulldogs 09-10 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bulldogs 09-10 Season

Shots from tonight's overtime win...I pulled a bonehead and didn't shoot Friddy scoring the game winner.. was caught up in noticing she was back out there after taking a short 10-15 second skate a shift earlier.

Kind of hard to tell.. but OSU's goaltender Knapp got lucky on this one..the puck landed on the outside of her glove on the webbing with Blais and Ambroz ready to pounce.
    *****http://www.viewthroughmylens.net/Galleries/UMDWomensHockey/VsOhioState1/UMDWomenGame1VsOhioState20.jpg******

One of Harss's many saves..
    *****http://www.viewthroughmylens.net/Galleries/UMDWomensHockey/VsOhioState1/UMDWomenGame1VsOhioState15.jpg******

She saw a lot of shots, but they weren't nearly the same quality shots the Gophers put on her last weekend. There were some flurries when the Buckeye first line was out there, with them getting 22 shots between the three players, but it wasn't a complete barrage of pucks like the output from all three Gopher lines on Friday night especially.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

Shot total don't mean much in the women's game. Most are little more than passes to the goaltender or shots to the goalie's midsection. Take too long to get the shot off. Very few snipers who can pull the trigger. Goalies are definitely ahead of the shooters. Also, it would be nice to see a game without phantom penalties. Both OSU and UMD had to deal with them.

Comment

I thought the Dogs looked a bit flat-footed most of the game . . . maybe save for the first 5-8 minutes of the 2nd. But, I too am just happy for the win. If they could only have just put more shots on goal they'd have won the game a bit easier. Knapp just didn't look good for OSU in goal. The game winner by Friddy is what they needed to be doing all night . . . put it on goal, crash the net and make something good happen.

That 5 on 3 PP they had was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. And, Joce's penalty that lead to the game tying goal by OSU was pure lazy. Never should have happened.

Hoping for a better effort for senior night.
        Last edited by binnyrus; 02-13-2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I don't think the Dogs ONCE on their 5 on 3 tried to get the puck deep.. they kept trying to skate it in and got it poked away over and over.. shoot it deep and forecheck more players than they can backcheck.. to keep the puck deep.

One of the turnovers on that 5 on 3 powerpaly led to a 2 on 1 breakaway that Ohio State shot wide on.

Anyway.. Kim Martin, Elin Holmlov, Erika Holst, Pernilla Winberg, Jenni Asserholt, and Maria Rooth, take on Switzerland in 2 hours (2 PM CST!) on CNBC in the opening women's hockey game of Vancovuer 2010!

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Sweden shuts out Switzerland 3-0. Fun to see the current and former Bulldogs playing.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
              The Gophers travel to St. Cloud tomorrow night to get their butts handed to them while we take over first place in the league after scrapping out another sweep.
              Hehe... Huskies did their part.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

There was plenty of suckage to go around. The Buckeyes did their part.
                Last edited by JosephPSchmoe; 02-14-2010, 05:33 AM. Reason: I'm a dumbass

Comment

Not much you can say about tonight's game.. I just hope it was from the emotion of seniors playing their last games at the DECC (unless somehow they get a home seed for NCAA's and it's not moved FROM the DECC) and they re-right the ship in Bemidji.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

I meant to say the Buckeyes did their part, too, in contributing to the suckage that was this weekend. Oy. And now it's on to Bemidji and hopefully the Bulldogs will take it out on the Beavers. Good thing Tomcikova is in Vancouver. I'm guessing the Gophers won't have much trouble with Wisconsin, but who knows.

The Dogs should get an NCAA Regional game at the DECC if they don't pull another fast one like this weekend. We'll see how they recover. If I'm not mistaken, this was the most goals they've given up this season even if one was an empty-netter.

(Sorry for the multiple posts to those who subscribe to this thread. It wasn't showing my posts as going through, so I tried a few times and they're all going to show up in your email. Enjoy.)
                    Last edited by JosephPSchmoe; 02-14-2010, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
                      I'm guessing the Gophers won't have much trouble with Wisconsin, but who knows.
                      It's been a long, long time since the Badgers were anything but trouble for the Gophs. Given that with our current lineup we are having trouble stopping opponents from scoring, and we haven't scored well in an even longer time, I'm not going to make any assumptions about points until they are actually won. I would definitely take any help that the Beavers are prepared to give.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I hadn't had the feeling I did last night leaving the hockey game.. since UMD lost 4-0 to North Dakota in November of 08 when Kim Martin left the game because of a concussion.

The team just looked so inept that game and last night they looked like they'd never played a game together before. 90% of their shots were from the blue line, and twice as many shots that got through were blocked before they got to the goaltender.

They came back the next week to knock off Dartmouth twice the next weekend so hopefully this team can regroup and fix whatever caused the problems this weekend.

The big thing I realized last night is.. they really miss the leadership of Saara Tuominen when a game is going tough. The Wilson/Friddy/Blais line is a great line, so it's not the line that's a problem, just the lack of the senior leadership with Blais the only senior playing offense, while the other three are defensemen.

Don't get me wrong though.. Blais is one of my all-time favorite players for the Dogs, she just does more of her leading on the ice, where you can tell with Tuominen it's an overall leadership quality she has.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Speaking of Tuominen.. Her and Mariia Posa take on Iya Gavrilova and the Russian women on CNBC at 6:30 Central time

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

dhmn quote...The team just looked so inept that game and last night they looked like they'd never played a game together before. 90% of their shots were from the blue line, and twice as many shots that got through were blocked before they got to the goaltender.

Gotta give a little credit to OSU. They have some of the top forwards in the league...Spooner, Macintosh, Langan. Their defense is small but very mobile and their goaltending is starting to come around. I think they could surprise a few people in the WCHA Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by xwildfan View Post
                              dhmn quote...The team just looked so inept that game and last night they looked like they'd never played a game together before.
                              I think it's the inexperience of all of those talented Freshmen not knowing how to play as the "favorites" . . . so yes, missing Saara's leadership is a big, big deal . . . the thing I feared the most.

On the other hand, they just didn't play well . . . from the top line (Friddy looked really, really limited - like the entire left side of her body was 3/4 of a step behind the other) to the goaltending of Harrs. Just a bad performance all the way around.

And, to the other point. . . . OSU did look better than I'd anticipated. They sustained pressure throughout the game and could indeed inflict some damage come tournament time. However, Knapp was very suspect in goal . . . any real pressure from the Dogs and she'd have caved.

Go DOGS!!!!

Comment

The Dogs just looked like they were reacting to everything rather than trying to set the pace or get anything started on Saturday. And the Buckeyes came ready to play. That Spooner is a freaking machine. I didn't see as much from Langan as I was expecting, but their whole team put in the effort and deserved the win.

Saara's absence had to matter on the bench and in the locker room. There's a reason she's a captain for Finland's national team, too. She's going to be missed next year. I wonder who wears the "C" next year. Friddy, Holmlov, Martin, Larocque, Gray or Guzzo? Friddy seems like the natural choice, but I'm not a coach.

Maybe Friddy should've sat out the game to give her knee a rest. I had a chance to chat briefly with Julianne before the game and she said Friddy's knee was just a little tender, but geez...be healthy for the playoffs. This game wasn't going to decide a national title or anything and they knew before the game started that the Gophers had lost in St. Cloud. But one player doesn't win or lose a game.

I'm really glad Tomcikova's in Vancouver.

Comment

Working...
                                X