Bulldogs 09-10 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bulldogs 09-10 Season

Just a quick note from UMDBulldogs.com that..
    Goaltender Lana Steck did not dress Sunday due to an injury sustained Friday post-game.
    So.. she's been injured in pre-game.. and now in post-game activites.. I'm confused (more than usual!)

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

Nothing to be confused about......that is exactly right but it didnt happen with any crazy activities in the locker room......Hopefully she will be back soon....
      Thank you Seniors, Rasmussen,Blais,Tuominen,Murray ,Hakala...your contributions will never be forgotten.
      2010 National Champions!!!! And lets not forget 2008 as well!!

Comment

Tara Gray isn't a chippy player. She's just tall, not very fast and I think she finds herself a step behind the play too often. And her passing skills...ouch. Heads up, Tara.

As far as Cournoyer being chippy, the only time I saw her do anything physical was after Giles bent her over the boards at the Bulldog bench while she was trying to get off the ice. I'd retaliate in that situation, too. Giles had it coming. But she's going to be a player to watch. She and Wong and Wilson are impressing me this year.

And Jaime Rasmussen isn't chippy, but she'll defend Harss and anyone else in a scrap. She's improved her game every year and it's been fun to watch. Frankly, I didn't like her as a freshman, but she's made a believer out of me.

Comment

I was hoping for a large CEC group at the DECC for this weekend's series, but the Lumberjack girls are playing in Wayzata on 2 pm Saturday, so hopefully some from Cloquet show up Sunday to watch three of their own on the ice in the same college game, for the first time ever I'm pretty sure.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Originally posted by dhmn View Post
            ... so hopefully some from Cloquet show up Sunday to watch three of their own on the ice in the same college game, for the first time ever I'm pretty sure.
            Not the first time. BSU with Lundquist and Vichorek has already played MSU and Thunder, plus UM with Maunu.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Not the first time. BSU with Lundquist and Vichorek has already played MSU and Thunder, plus UM with Maunu.
              Somehow I spaced Maunu out, and she's been the most successful CEC grad at the college level (playing 4 years where Ellison had to wait for stuff to happen to get her shot.) I never realized that Thunder played the second BSU/Mankato game either.. can I blame the -20 windchill I was out in this afternoon before posting?

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

... can I blame the -20 windchill I was out in this afternoon before posting?
                Yeah, but up there, -20 even in real temps, forget windchill, is condsidered short-sleeve weather.

Comment

Yeah, but up there, -20 even in real temps, forget windchill, is condsidered short-sleeve weather.
                  It's different this year.. I was out in shorts during part of November still.. taking forever to get used to it this year. We need the snow to insulate!

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

While I will agree with anyone that this isn't the same Bemidji team that's come to Duluth over the 10 years.... they now have an offense.. it's time to recruit some more defense that can skate. They seemed to be the slowest defensive skating team that's come to the DECC this year. UMD's defense isn't all that speedy, but the Beaver D made them seem faster at times.

UMD had so many second chances in front of Tomcikova in the second period, and the puck was bouncing all over the place or it could have been another 8-1 game over BSU. I'm not sure how well the pucks were froze cause there were a lot of strange bounces at the men's game tonight also.

BSU didn't lay down and die either.. putting 18 shots on net in the third period, despite being outscored 3-0 in the period.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Game photos from Saturday with BSU (yes, I know it's 3 am now!)

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

While I will agree with anyone that this isn't the same Bemidji team that's come to Duluth over the 10 years.... they now have an offense.. it's time to recruit some more defense that can skate. They seemed to be the slowest defensive skating team that's come to the DECC this year.
                        I think their blueline is getting more mobile, at least compared to what it was when Sertich took over. The D he has brought in the last couple of years are Vichorek and the Wheelhouse sisters. IMO, they can all skate. Beyond that, a coach has to wait for scholarships to free up -- can't remake a team overnight.

Comment

I think their blueline is getting more mobile, at least compared to what it was when Sertich took over. The D he has brought in the last couple of years are Vichorek and the Wheelhouse sisters. IMO, they can all skate. Beyond that, a coach has to wait for scholarships to free up -- can't remake a team overnight.
                          It could be that they just played lazy yesterday.. I'll know for sure after today's game with them.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

I don't like to dump on individual players, but can someone remind me why Tara Gray is playing? I know the roster isn't deep this year, but geez...two penalties that led to Beavers goals and I don't know if she ever hit a Bulldog with a pass the entire game. I can see bad decisions and sloppy play from a freshman, but she's a junior. She (and the rest of the team) need to step it up if they're going to win in a season without the top players. They all knew that coming into the season, so there's no excuse for it in December.

But it was a team effort and the Dogs were lucky to come away with a tie. This is a frustrating season, which should've been expected with so many top players gone, but you never know which Bulldogs team is going to show up on any given day. Friddy is clearly still hurting...maybe should've taken the weekend off. The freshmen looked flat and listless. The top players--Blais, Tuominen, Rasmussen--couldn't find the net. With almost 50 shots on net, I'd like to see a little more offensive productivity. It was good to see Dodge finally find the net again.

What all that means is I can't wait until next year. I'll always be a Bulldogs fan and wouldn't miss a game, but they don't make it easy sometimes.

Comment

I mentioned Gray's two interference penalties costing UMD the game in the score updates thread. She took the two lazy penalties in a row and couldn't keep her feet a couple other times, falling with nobody around her.

Yesterday's performance wasn't as bad as you make it out to be. I've probably been TOO critical of them at times myself this year but not so much from this past weekend.

They passed into traffic way too often, but they DID put 48 shots on an Olympic goaltender Tomcikova. She has put on that kind of performance at times an UMD happened to be the opponent. It's not like most of UMD's shots were from the blue line either. She gave up 6 goals on 88 shots on the weekend and 3 of those were when Bemidji had run out of gas on Saturday and she had no help at all. Imagine if Emily Brookshaw had the forward lines in front of her during HER four seasons there.

(The puck IS in the picture below, and did get saved to save the tie game late in regulation-- one frame earlier http://www.viewthroughmylens.net/Gal...Bemidji_15.jpg.)
                              *****http://www.viewthroughmylens.net/Galleries/UMDWomensHockey/VsBemidji2/UMDWomenGame2VsBemidji_16.jpg******

Bemidji skated 3 lines the most of the game instead of skating their first line every other shift and that kept them fresher the entire game rather than dead the third period like Saturday, when they were on the ice for nearly half the game and gave up 3 goals.

I've talked to people who know shoulder separation problems..and the way it sounds, Friddy might as well play or take the rest of the season off and get it fixed, as they say it won't heal completely without surgery. Many games this year they team wouldn't have nearly the jump they have without her on the ice.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

It's hard to believe there's only 12 games left in the regular season.. 3 road series and 3 home series.. with still Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Ohio State to come to the DECC, and road trips to Mankato, NoDak, and Bemidji.

Wisconsin will have an advantage over UMD when the Dogs season restarts, with them restarting the week before with North Dakota, UMD will have almost 5 weeks off between the Bemidji game and Wisconsin game. Hopefully they can get back into hockey mode in practice the week before the Badgers come.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X