PDA

View Full Version : UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

wasmania
01-10-2010, 07:26 PM
see why I hate sue fans. a bunch of goons, with no civility at all.

Happy's hatred, which lakes any civility whatsoever, is targeted at sue fans,as well as a bunch of goons.

brianvf
01-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Thank you for your information. All I've been able to check is here and fightingsioux.com and neither was giving much info about what happened.

The info was given at least twice on here (on the scores thread and in the MSUM/UND series thread).
Knight was battling for the hattrick with less than a minute to go in the game, he lost his skate edge going in on the goalie and smashed into the goal post. He was limping after the game but said he would be ok. They must have checked into it further and found that not to be the case. Out 4-6 weeks with a high ankle sprain.

Roben
01-11-2010, 08:53 AM
I just saw on Yahoo Fantasy Golf that the #1 team is UND Sioux! - Way to represent!

No clue who it is, but pretty sweet to see the Sioux name up there.

state of hockey
01-11-2010, 08:58 AM
High ankle sprains blow. I have heard a few players say they would rather have a broken leg than a bad high ankle sprain. They have a way of bothering you for years.

Hopefully, it isn't anywhere near being that serious. The 4-6 week timeline shows that it probably isn't.

brianvf
01-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Stolen from the other thread. :)
Sioux recruits in the NHL Mid-Term Central Scouting Ratings:

Rank Name Team League Height Weight Position
11 FORBORT, DEREK USA U-18 USDP 6' 4.5" 198 D
17 NELSON, BROCK WARROAD HIGH-MN 6' 2.5" 205 C
71 PARKS, MICHAEL CEDAR RAPIDS USHL 5' 10.5" 188 RW
95 MATTSON, NICK INDIANA USHL 6' 1" 189 D
195 O'DONNELL, BRENDAN WINNIPEG SOUTH MJHL 6' 0" 185 C

brianvf
01-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Also, Gothberg from TRF is the 5th ranked goalie:

Rank Name Team League Height Weight
5 GOTHBERG, ZANE THIEF RIVER FALLS HIGH-MN 6' 0.5" 177

brianvf
01-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Triple post. :eek: ;)

This was on INCH (http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/category/wcha/):

First, itís looking more and more like star defenseman Chay Genoway may have played his last shift of the season on Nov. 13 when a check from behind versus St. Cloud State led to a concussion and many lingering side effects. His return to the ice is nowhere in site, and sources close to the team tell INCH that the prospect of a medical redshirt is being discussed.

Not good news, but not entirely surprising if it happens.
If he does apply for a redshirt, this would be the stacked blueline next year:

Genoway, Sr
LaPoint, Sr
Marto, Sr
Blood, Jr
Fienhage, Jr
Gleason, So
MacWilliam, So
Mattson, Fr
Forbort, Fr

Ouch, which 3 sit every night from that group?
I realize I left out Hill, but he would be the odd man out already given the above logjam.

SJHovey
01-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Triple post. :eek: ;)

This was on INCH (http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/category/wcha/):

Not good news, but not entirely surprising if it happens.
If he does apply for a redshirt, this would be the stacked blueline next year:

Genoway, Sr
LaPoint, Sr
Marto, Sr
Blood, Jr
Fienhage, Jr
Gleason, So
MacWilliam, So
Mattson, Fr
Forbort, Fr

Ouch, which 3 sit every night from that group?
I realize I left out Hill, but he would be the odd man out already given the above logjam.

Yeah, I can see where that is going to be a bit of a problem. I hope it doesn't lead to recruiting repercussions.

I have to believe the staff, a couple of years ago, was counting on Genoway graduating this year and another player, probably LaPoint, developing to a level where he'd be gone after his junior season. Injuries, probably more than anything, have hampered this a bit.

Puck Swami
01-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Do we have a time frame that Genoway will or will not play again this year!! If he doesn't play again this year do we think he comes back on medical red shirt for his senior year +1 ??? thoughts

He's a great hockey player, and from what I hear from others around the league, a first rate person as well.

Head injuries are very, very serious matters, and there is a lot of medical evidence in recent years that suggests longer recovery periods are needed than previously employed. If he gets a red shirt, it's probably in his best interests as a player and as a human being to make sure he's fully healed before coming back. The last thing he needs is to come back too early and get hurt again, which could have lifetime consequences. I am sure Hakstol, his staff and the team docs there are going to do what is in the players' best interests.

brianvf
01-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I can see where that is going to be a bit of a problem. I hope it doesn't lead to recruiting repercussions.

I have to believe the staff, a couple of years ago, was counting on Genoway graduating this year and another player, probably LaPoint, developing to a level where he'd be gone after his junior season. Injuries, probably more than anything, have hampered this a bit.

Yeah, a redshirt would certainly throw a monkey wrench into that, but the coaches could work around it.
I would guess if he redshirts that a current recruit would stay in the USHL for another season (probably Mattson?) and then a current player potentially leaves early (maybe Fienhage since he was the odd man out prior to Genoway's injury).
Could be an interesting offseason with that situation developing.

ecbrevik
01-11-2010, 06:06 PM
How the heck did UND get 2 votes for #1 in the lastest poll?

Puck Swami
01-11-2010, 06:14 PM

Virg and Dirty. :cool:

MinnesotaNorthStar
01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
How the heck did UND get 2 votes for #1 in the lastest poll?Because of the beat down we put on the perennial powerhouse Mankato. :D

cross cheque
01-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Food for thought: with genoway's size, speed, hockey sense, and UND's depth at defense could it be a possibility that he is moved to forward?

SJHovey
01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Food for thought: with genoway's size, speed, hockey sense, and UND's depth at defense could it be a possibility that he is moved to forward?

He played some forward his freshman season, and obviously, in a pinch he could play there again. However, it's not like this team will lack depth at forward next year either. Also, it's a huge waste of his talent to put him up front and ask him to grind it out in the corners. Chay's primary benefit to this team is as a puck moving defenseman, and his play on the pp.

Sloe Gin
01-11-2010, 08:25 PM
That's the big question right now.
No one seems to know much. But he would be eligible to apply for a medical redshirt if he wanted.

what are the rules on medical redshirt? Can he be put on it at any time? Or is there a timeframe?

Twitch Boy
01-11-2010, 08:37 PM
what are the rules on medical redshirt? Can he be put on it at any time? Or is there a timeframe?

IIRC, he has to have played in less than 30 percent of the team's games.

brianvf
01-11-2010, 08:45 PM
IIRC, he has to have played in less than 30 percent of the team's games.

And they can't play in any games in the second half of the season.
Chay has played in 9 games and none in the 2nd half.

The Sioux will probably end up playing somewhere around 35-40 games this season, so Chay would meet both of those requirements easily (assuming he is done for the year).

He could apply during the summer for it and hopefully he ok to start play next fall.

dxmnkd316
01-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I just saw on Yahoo Fantasy Golf that the #1 team is UND Sioux! - Way to represent!

No clue who it is, but pretty sweet to see the Sioux name up there.

And then you browse on over to the basketball team and... Well, you guys keep searching for that first win. haha.

dxmnkd316
01-11-2010, 09:02 PM

Because it's a well known fact the sioux turn their season around when they play the gophers. Miami inevitably implodes. Most sane voters can't stomach voting for the badgers. And denver had a few votes to spare.