PDA

View Full Version : UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

dxmnkd316
12-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Ah, it wouldn't surprise me if we split with MSUM either.
They always seem to play us tough, and UND has had difficulty in sweeping opponents so far this year.

Yeah, even the gophers took a point from you guys at home. That's just sad.

HoosierBBall_GopherHockey
12-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Yeah, even the gophers took a point from you guys at home. That's just sad.

Even more sad is we had multiple chances to make it two points. :eek:

brianvf
12-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Nice article on Zajac:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/143809/

brianvf
12-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Frustrating weekend for the Sioux.
Stupid penalties tonight, and UW made them pay. UND is in a funk right now, and what are the odds that the funk is directly tied to Genoway's injury. This team needs him back if they want to make a 2nd half push again.
Time to regroup and go into the ND tourney with a fresh outlook.

Hopefully we can meet the BADgers again later on this year, with a bit more on the line. :)

brianvf
12-12-2009, 11:30 PM
It's not going to get better anytime soon... :(
Now we learn that Zajac is out for 4-6 weeks:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=66178

UND entered the season with just three seniors and the youngest team in the league. It's only getting younger.

After the 4-3 loss to Wisconsin, it was revealed that alternate captain Darcy Zajac will miss the next four to six weeks with an undisclosed injury. With Chay Genoway still out indefinitely with the concussion, UND will be down to just one senior -- Chris VandeVelde.

The Sioux projected confidence that they'll get things going in the second half, but they'll have to do it with a lot of guys who weren't part of those previous teams.

The ND tourney we'll be without Genoway, Zajac, and Kristo...
I really hope that Genoway can make it back by the next WCHA series. :(

Speedy recovery Darcy.

brianvf
12-13-2009, 12:26 PM
I posted this over on ss.com as well, but thought I would move it over here as well...

UND XMas Wish List

Short term:

* Genoway back and healthy
* VandeVelde back to 100%
* Speedy recovery for Zajac
* Keep the stellar OOC record up by doing well @ the ND Tourney and Cornell
* Consistent goaltending

Long term:

* Finish top 3 in WCHA (possible?)
* Make the Final Five
* Win the Broadmoor
* Win the Regional
* Win the National Title

There, was that so hard? ;)
Anything to add?

If the old line is that it is best to finish top 3 in the league in order to have the best shot to not only make the Final Five, but to avoid the play-in game...who that is currently in the top 5 ahead of us will have to falter?
DU and UW appear to be for real. UMD has probably some of the best offensive talent in the league. I haven't seen CC, so nothing to comment on. SCSU has good offensive depth, but probably lacks the talent level overall when compared to DU/UW/UMD/UND. There are only 6 points separating us from 1st place DU right now, so anything is possible. It all starts in Jan with home series against MSUM and DU, and a road series against UMN. The team can't be giving points away any longer...

VarsityWisconsin
12-13-2009, 12:57 PM
I posted this over on ss.com as well, but thought I would move it over here as well...

UND XMas Wish List

Short term:

* Consistent goaltending

Long term:

* Make the Final Five
* Win the Broadmoor
* Win the Regional
* Win the National Title

Anything to add?

If the old line is that it is best to finish top 3 in the league in order to have the best shot to not only make the Final Five, but to avoid the play-in game...who that is currently in the top 5 ahead of us will have to falter?
DU and UW appear to be for real. UMD has probably some of the best offensive talent in the league. I haven't seen CC, so nothing to comment on. SCSU has good offensive depth, but probably lacks the talent level overall when compared to DU/UW/UMD/UND. There are only 6 points separating us from 1st place DU right now, so anything is possible. It all starts in Jan with home series against MSUM and DU, and a road series against UMN. The team can't be giving points away any longer...

That's a pretty long Christmas list. You better have been a good boy this year. :rolleyes:

brianvf
12-13-2009, 03:42 PM
That's a pretty long Christmas list. You better have been a good boy this year. :rolleyes:

First, of course I've been a good boy.
Second, it's a wish list for the team, not myself. :)

The short term goals are all reachable. They mostly consist of getting players back from injury.
The long term goals are what every high-tier team enters every season with, so that is just normal expectations.

Siouxfaninseattle
12-13-2009, 09:43 PM

UND XMas Wish List

Short term:

* Consistent goaltending

Long term:

* Make the Final Five
* Win the Broadmoor
* Win the Regional
* Win the National Title

Anything to add?

Well, I hate to be Mr. Negative, but.... a few thoughts on where we're at and where we're headed. Injuries are killing us. First Genoway, then VandeVelde and now Zajac. IIRC the team was pretty beat up by the time the tourny rolled around last year - who else is "dinged up" that we don't know about? Goaltending isn't what it was last year. Eids played great last year but has let in too many soft goals this year. His GAA and save % aren't bad but aren't quite what we need to win those games that we've lost by one goal or ended in a tie. Also this team hasn't figured out that they must play 60 minutes every game, which seems to be related to being so young. I think this team is built to be successful - next year.

brianvf
12-13-2009, 11:01 PM
IIRC the team was pretty beat up by the time the tourny rolled around last year - who else is "dinged up" that we don't know about?

It's got to be a few more. It was mentioned that only 17 skaters were cleared to practice last Tues or Wed. The Xmas break couldn't have come at a better time for UND. I would imagine that Hakstol will throw some fresh bodies out there against the WJC team on Saturday and probably rest some others.

We certainly can't afford any more injuries.

I think this team is built to be successful - next year.

That's been mentioned a few times as well. If Kristo and Gregoire come back, plus the return of a great scorer in Frattin, next years team could be something special. That said, they'll have to find a replacement for Genoway as well, which they haven't been able to do yet this year since his injury. Hopefully these couple weeks off really help him out and he can make a return in Jan.

HarleyMC
12-13-2009, 11:26 PM
That said, they'll have to find a replacement for Genoway as well, which they haven't been able to do yet this year since his injury. Hopefully these couple weeks off really help him out and he can make a return in Jan.

A concussion and especially a bruised sternum typically takes a significant amount of time to heal. Fortunately he didn't break the sternum, because that is incredibly painful. Even with a bruised sternum a person has a hard time even taking a deep breath without pain. Do you know anything about his status right now?

EDIT:

I watched the tape of the hit on Genoway and that was totally malicious by Marvin. The play had actually moved on at the time of the hit. Totally unnecessary. If Marvin doesn't have a history of dishing out cheap shots he does now.

brianvf
12-13-2009, 11:38 PM
A concussion and especially a bruised sternum typically takes a significant amount of time to heal. Fortunately he didn't break the sternum, because that is incredibly painful. Even with a bruised sternum a person has a hard time even taking a deep breath without pain. Do you know anything about his status right now?

Hakstol mentioned during the booster luncheon before the UW series that he is starting to have "more good days than bad" and they hope to have him back in the 2nd half (didn't mention at what point in the 2nd half though).
They haven't mentioned the sternum aspect in awhile, it seems the focus has been on post-concussion syndrome.

He's now missed a month of action. Hopefully a couple more weeks off with the rest of the team will help him out...

HarleyMC
12-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Hakstol mentioned during the booster luncheon before the UW series that he is starting to have "more good days than bad" and they hope to have him back in the 2nd half (didn't mention at what point in the 2nd half though).
They haven't mentioned the sternum aspect in awhile, it seems the focus has been on post-concussion syndrome.

He's now missed a month of action. Hopefully a couple more weeks off with the rest of the team will help him out...

I hope he gets better soon, that was a nasty and stupid hit by Marvin. That's close enough to the neck to really do some damage to a player. It looked to me like Marvin had his stick high enough to bring it across the back of Genoway's neck. That could have been a season ending hit.

******** width="425" height="344">******* name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/95l7_igqvf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param>******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/95l7_igqvf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Siouxfaninseattle
12-13-2009, 11:59 PM
I hope he gets better soon, that was a nasty and stupid hit by Marvin. That's close enough to the neck to really do some damage to a player. It looked to me like Marvin had his stick high enough to bring it across the back of Genoway's neck. That could have been a season ending hit.

******** width="425" height="344">******* name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/95l7_igqvf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param>******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/95l7_igqvf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The video doesn't show Marvin skating basically the whole length of the ice to make the hit. It does show him going around his own player to make the hit. That could have been more than season ending.

HarleyMC
12-14-2009, 12:03 AM
The video doesn't show Marvin skating basically the whole length of the ice to make the hit. It does show him going around his own player to make the hit. That could have been more than season ending.

Agreed, with that kind of velocity to the back of the neck and head that's potentially career ending. Very, very stupid and dangerous. It looked like his sternum could taken an impact against the glass and the front of the shoulder pads at least would have helped to cushion the impact to some extent.

ecbrevik
12-14-2009, 09:29 AM
OK, lets consider the last couple of weeks our "early season struggles" and pick it up from here ;) :D

HarleyMC
12-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Marvin followed him up because until the dump in, Genoway had the puck. Marvin followed the play and Genoway got the puck back, then got rid of it and Marvin hit him.
It's possible Marvin didn't see Genoway pass it off.
I'm not condoning the hit, it was a CFB and he got the five and the game, I just don't think you can say Marvin was headhunting and intended to hurt him.

He gets five and a game either way, I think the suspension happens because of the injury.
I also don't believe that hitting someone high is automatically intent to injure.
Also, Marvin is 6'3", Genoway is 5'9", it's likely that any hit on Genoway by Marvin could be considered "high" with a 6 inch height difference.

Permit me you guys to voice an opinion on this one. I know we're far removed from the incident at this point, but as an advocate for stopping this kind of malicious play in college hockey I want to add my .02 worth. In my opinion the above posts are a load of pure crap and wreaks of some pretty cold hearted bias.:rolleyes: The video seems clear that Marvin goes around a player, pays no attention to the flow of play, in fact if you look closely it appears coming down the ice, he doesn't even take his gaze off of Genoway and then hits him from behind and HIGH in the back of the head and neck with the elbow/stick completely away from the flow of play.

From my perspective, Marvin was either not thinking and playing like a frickin' robot or executed a premeditated intent to dangerously injure another player. It's very obvious he tracked Genoway and went out of his way to deliver a vicious and dangerous hit to the head area, therefore my opinion is it was premeditated. I realize it is difficult to judge an "intent to injure" but in my view the evidence seems to lean in that direction.

It bothers me, no matter which team a player dresses for, that another player can deliver a vicious and crippling hit, which is potentially season and career ending, and skate away with relatively little repercussion. I don't think it favors the game of college hockey or a seriously injured college athlete to bear the brunt of this kind of stupidity without more serious disciplinary action being taken by the league against a player who executes this type of violent contact. Unfortunately, much of this is laid in the lap of officials to determine whether it's "intent to injure" or not and in my opinion based upon the initial outcome of the incident that is not very comforting.

The stupidity and incompetence of the refs errant judgment in this case is simply unprecedented. How can four refs not see the play when the puck is five feet away from the incident? And then impose a penalty on the Hepp, the wrong player, sending him to the showers while Marvin skates around for another 2.5 minutes? That is ineptitude at it's finest. The refs should be seriously reprimanded for that ridiculous and comical display of buffoonery.

I hope something can be done next year to impose strict sanctions against this kind of contact when the NCAA rules committee convenes to look more closely at changing the ruling on "hits to the head".

The following happened on Nov. 24:

WCHA commish Bruce McLeod is going to have a teleconference call with all the coaches in his league to make sure they understand the new emphasis on hits to the head.

"We are following up," McLeod said on Tuesday. "The purpose is to further clarify the NCAA memo. .. We all need to be more diligent and raise the profile as much as we can on contact to the head.

"They can't change rules. [That is done every two years; 2010 is the next year rules can be amended.]"

But, even in going through the present rules, there is zero tolerance on contact to the head, McLeod said. But officials have discretion on the severity of the penalty. It could be a two-minute minor, a five-minute major or a disqualification.

"Even with players being in vulnerable positions or quote, on blind-side hits, if there is contact to the head in those situations," McLeod said, "it [a penalty] has to be called. ... And it can be contact to the head with any part of the body, an elbow, a shoulder."

Goon
12-14-2009, 01:52 PM
It's not going to get better anytime soon... :(
Now we learn that Zajac is out for 4-6 weeks:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=66178

The ND tourney we'll be without Genoway, Zajac, and Kristo...
I really hope that Genoway can make it back by the next WCHA series. :(

Speedy recovery Darcy.

I also heard today that Chay still hasn't improved. Not good news.

brianvf
12-14-2009, 01:57 PM
I also heard today that Chay still hasn't improved. Not good news.

Hakstol mentioned during the booster luncheon that Chay was starting to have more good days than bad. Sweeney said it during the Sat night broadcast as well.

Goon
12-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Hakstol mentioned during the booster luncheon that Chay was starting to have more good days than bad. Sweeney said it during the Sat night broadcast as well.

That would be good but someone I know talked to him and he still is having trouble reading and isn't working out yet...