PDA

View Full Version : UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

SJHovey
10-19-2009, 03:01 PM
A couple of random thoughts following this weekend's big series.

First, if the first two weeks are any indication, this year's blueliners may end up being the most offensively proficient of any I've seen. Two of four goals on Friday. All three on Saturday. I really hope the consistent threat from the blueline opens things up down low for the forwards to show their talent.

I hope the old axiom about baseball applies to college hockey: That success is based upon strength up the middle. I really like the centers (VV, Malone and Zajac) on our top three lines. Great along the boards, on faceoffs, etc... That will help our younger forwards.

Finally, I really like that the Ralph has become a tough place for visitors to pick up any points. That was an advantage the great teams of the '80's, and Dean Blais' late '90's teams had, and it's good to see Hak and the boys starting to develop a little of that.

SoCalSiouxFan
10-19-2009, 04:08 PM
UND is now ranked #2 in both the USCHO and INCH rankings. Miami is 1st in both. That Thanksgiving tourney at REA with OSU and Miami should have huge PWR implications.

http://insidecollegehockey.com/5Polls/0910/polls_0804.htm
http://www.uscho.com/rankings/

Number 2 this early in the season and with a bunch of freshmen. They for the most part played exceptionally well against Minnesota but I'm sure Hakstol will tighten up the defense even more as the season progresses.

Also what a balanced attack by the Sioux! By year-end have no idea who will lead the team in scoring. Genoway looked great! What a good mentor for the young Sioux defensemen.

Genoway for Hobey!

http://thecollegehockeyblog.com/2009/10/17/lighting-the-lamp-genoway-for-hobey/comment-page-1/

ecbrevik
10-19-2009, 05:33 PM
So far so good. Keep it up Sioux!

lord k
10-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Our centers are outstanding. They are all like NHL centers. Big strong kids. Nobody can knock those guys off the puck. They will definitley lead the way for this years team. Well them and Genoway.

One thing i would like to see is for Kristo to look to pass more on the power play. He is great and i think in time he will learn that he doesn't have to do it all on this team. When guys like Hextall are wide open on the power play you pass it to them to get that goalie moving.

Thats just my 2 cents about the year so far.

ExRider19
10-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Our centers are outstanding. They are all like NHL centers. Big strong kids. Nobody can knock those guys off the puck. They will definitley lead the way for this years team. Well them and Genoway.

One thing i would like to see is for Kristo to look to pass more on the power play. He is great and i think in time he will learn that he doesn't have to do it all on this team. When guys like Hextall are wide open on the power play you pass it to them to get that goalie moving.

Thats just my 2 cents about the year so far.

Absolutely right about Kristo. He is really quick to shoot on the PP and often times the shots are harmless ones that the goalie can cath or cover easily. Needs a little more patience. Also, maybe put him at forward, and not at the point.

sfo19
10-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Absolutely right about Kristo. He is really quick to shoot on the PP and often times the shots are harmless ones that the goalie can cath or cover easily. Needs a little more patience. Also, maybe put him at forward, and not at the point.

so who would you put on the point then? frankly, i don't see a lot of options if you take him off the point. we don't need to fix what's not broken. our PP is converting at 24 percent. Until something goes drastically wrong, I say keep everything as is.

The Rube
10-20-2009, 12:41 AM
A little late, but wanted to say congrats on a good series, guys. Hopefully the tables will be turned the next time we meet.

And if this is the stereotypical "slow start" for UND......my Parise, it's gonna be a long year for the haters.

Sloe Gin
10-20-2009, 12:41 AM
A little late, but wanted to say congrats on a good series, guys. Hopefully the tables will be turned the next time we meet.

I was a little disappointed that we weren't able to freak anyone out at Sensers...maybe in January?

The Rube
10-20-2009, 12:44 AM
I was a little disappointed that we weren't able to freak anyone out at Sensers...maybe in January?

Hey now, we got a hardy round of applause when we sang the "Jesus Hates WI" song! :D

(and check the poster's game thread, my post quoting yours....)

Sloe Gin
10-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Hey now, we got a hardy round of applause when we sang the "Jesus Hates WI" song! :D

my buddy texted me the next day saying that you all were awesome and he wants to hang with us again. I say we take him on the next Invasion. ;)

MinnesotaNorthStar
10-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Which reminds me...Brandon, did you know Nick Monson at all?

ExRider19
10-20-2009, 01:06 AM
so who would you put on the point then? frankly, i don't see a lot of options if you take him off the point. we don't need to fix what's not broken. our PP is converting at 24 percent. Until something goes drastically wrong, I say keep everything as is.

I would say the powerplay isn't anything spectacular. The percetage is high after a weekend with Merrimack and after Genoway gets 2 goals on the PP vs. Minnesota. You are only go to score on so many shots from the point. i wouldn't bank on that happening every game. Down low and on the wings, where most of your PP goals come from, I didn't think the Sioux generated anything. Kristo is goingto be one the best forwads on the team, and he is smart, I think he would be better served elsewhere. Plus to put a forward freshman at the point makes me a little nervous.

The Rube
10-20-2009, 01:09 AM
my buddy texted me the next day saying that you all were awesome and he wants to hang with us again. I say we take him on the next Invasion. ;)

You mean like the Bemidji one you went on? Wait, nevermind. :mad: :p

Yeah, your buddies were pretty cool. Didn't get to talk to the Wild employee guy too much, but that other guy was good people. And of course Papa Sloe Vag is great.

Roben
10-20-2009, 06:36 AM
With UND being 2nd, and 7 others WCHA teams (including next year's inductions), the conference could be getting the strength back.

Mike Rane
10-20-2009, 09:19 AM
I was only able to go to the Friday game, but I really like the play of the Lamoureux-Zajac-Rowney line. There were times when they were really dominating in the offensive zone. I wouldn't want to play against this physical line, and I believe they will cause teams fits this season.

wasmania
10-20-2009, 09:23 AM

It's great that fans of opposing teams in this great rivalry can be friends, but is 'bro-mance" really appropriate?:confused:

Dirty
10-20-2009, 09:24 AM
It's great that fans of opposing teams in this great rivalry can be friends, but is 'bro-mance" really appropriate?:confused:

Well someone has to hold Brent's purse while he's shopping for new dresses and Geist is just the man to do it.

state of hockey
10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Well someone has to hold Brent's purse while he's shopping for new dresses and Geist is just the man to do it.

Indeed. Someone must haul around that antiquated thingy that has all of the papers in it. Evidently, you write down how much money you are spending and to whom on those.

gordwiser
10-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I would say the powerplay isn't anything spectacular. The percetage is high after a weekend with Merrimack and after Genoway gets 2 goals on the PP vs. Minnesota. You are only go to score on so many shots from the point. i wouldn't bank on that happening every game. Down low and on the wings, where most of your PP goals come from, I didn't think the Sioux generated anything. Kristo is goingto be one the best forwads on the team, and he is smart, I think he would be better served elsewhere. Plus to put a forward freshman at the point makes me a little nervous.

I disagree, I though the PP looked pretty good (relative to this point in the season, and compared to past year's starts). They ran two different PP's that I saw, one where they cycled it at the top and flung it on net, one where they cycled it on the blue line working it behind to get the shot Duncan always used to take, and they did get chances from that spot. I have no problem with the freshman at the point. None of them are straight out of high school, so their learning curve is a bit shorter, and they are talented.

Roben
10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/

there's a poll for early season lock on F4...UND 2nd to BU. Failed to put Michigan on there and put Vermont on there. BU, UND, Vermont, DU and Miami on there.

Thought it was a bit interesting.