This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

10 Days until the exhibition opener against Acadia, time to kick off the season chatter. Where are expectations heading into this season? I imagine UNH will be competing for home ice again, and hovering in the high teens in wins heading into the post season again. I think they'll have to rely on Foster a lot more this year to steal a few games. Maybe we'll be surprised in the end, but either way, even with low expectations, I'm looking forward to enjoying the season.

Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Can anyone think of a catchy tagline to add to the title of this thread?

How about: "2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season: Why Not Us?"
    It worked for the 2004 Red Sox.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

"Maybe next year" also worked for the Sox.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          Are you a member of the lolipop guild? is short people your fav song? looks like you got the short end of the stick.**** my neck hurts from looking up to everyone.

Comment

My expectations for this season are the lowest they've been coming into a season since I've been following the team. There are more question marks surrounding this team than an episode of Jeopardy. After Blake Kessel, there are six question marks on the blueline. Can Foster pick them up? He's shown the potential to carry a team to victory, but has not done so on a consistent basis yet at UNH. What about goal scoring? This is a team that returns only 3 of its top 8 scorers from last season and didn't matriculate 3 of its top 5 recruits at forward. Can Mike Sislo continue his torrid scoring pace without 21 setting him up?
            In my opinion, there are too many question marks to expect anything higher than a 4 seed in Hockey East. However, as we found out last season, anything can happen once you get into single-elimination playoffs.
            UNH Hockey: I guess this could be the year?
            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

I will remain optimistic. While our defense is not at its strongest (to put lightly) I wouldn't call Krates a question mark. I think Hardowa will be pretty good as well.
              If Foster has a great year and can keep other teams around 2-3 goals consistantly, I think we could have a lot of close wins. I look at Northeastern's team last year for this comparison. Theissen was so good, his team's "average" offense was enough. It also becomes a question of what upper classman do you play on the third line (Manz doesn't count he has too little experience)? Do you play up 2 freshmen? I just want Sislo, Moses and Leblanc to play with eachother. Those are my scattered thoughts.
              Last edited by Saetia22; 09-24-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I see this team finishing anywhere from third to about sixth. Third is if this team overachieves greatly and Foster plays on his head. The defense is a huge work in progress; only Kessel and Krates were regulars all of last season. Campanale, Kipp and the freshmen will need to step up to have success. I have more confidence in the offense, but this not going to be a huge offensive firepower like in years past.

If the team plays like they did in last year's Northeast Regional; it should be a fun team to watch. If they come out playing uninspired, emotionless and lethargic hockey it will be a long winter.
                Last edited by UNH8; 09-23-2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Lookout below!!!

I will be surprised if we don't see an end to the 1st round Hockey East hosting streak.
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    Lookout below!!!

I will be surprised if we don't see an end to the 1st round Hockey East hosting streak.
                    Wow, now that is setting your sights low. I guess at least you will not be disappointed!
                    GO BLUE!

Comment

In reality, I expect us to make Hockey East playoffs, most likely as a middle-seed (3-7) and possibly make NCAAs. If we learned anything from last year, it's that anything can happen once you make the Big Tourney, and that the regular season really doesn't mean anything until February/March.

As far as the blue line goes, I think Krates and Kessel can shore things up (perhaps Krates will finally get a goal ) and from what limited time Campanale saw last year, he was actually quite good on the ice. I certainly hope Kipp improves his play, otherwise he'll be watching a lot of games next to Friends of Marty.

As a running gag, some friends of mine made of of Bobby Butler, as he was dating one of the girls in our dorm. During his freshman year at UNH, we would continually yell something to Bobby in order for him to put his best effort on the ice, because we knew that particular young lady was (most likely) putting in her best effort off the ice . So, in honor of this being Bobby's final season in Durham, I suggest the slogan of 2009-10 UNH Hockey should be...

"EARN IT!"
                      A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                        As far as the blue line goes, I think Krates and Kessel can shore things up (perhaps Krates will finally get a goal ) and from what limited time Campanale saw last year, he was actually quite good on the ice. I certainly hope Kipp improves his play, otherwise he'll be watching a lot of games next to Friends of Marty.
                        Kipp will play regularly. He improved markedly over the course of last season. Kessel and Krates will be top 2, but there are 7 d-men on the squad, 6 of which will play regularly. We know Mike Beck is not good enough to win a spot over Kipp, and Hardowa and Kostolansky definitely haven't proven anything yet.
                        "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

I may be off in thinking this, but I'm not overly impressed at the moment with the entirety of the league. UML made late season charge, UVM will not be as strong without V.Stalberg, their goalie is good, not great. BU lost of ton of ledership and TOP 10 scoring, although they still look pretty good. BC is still pretty young and Muse will need to do a lot better than last year and the Soph. class needs to come up big. Other than that, Maine, PC, NU(for reasons already posted), UMASS & MC don't really cause me a lot of worry. Well, maybe UMASS. They always play UNH tough.

Having said that, I think UNH could do quite well. I think the nucleus of the team now knows what it tastes like win and lose when you give it 100% every minute of every game. You can outplay the best team tallent wise in the Country, if you have the right game plan and the right mind set. I'm hoping a kid like LeBlanc and some other go getters rally the team to compete hard. Read lots of great comments from the players closing out last year. This is their time to follow up and make it happen.

I see a lot of guys that will battle night in an night out to make sure that they are out there again the next night as well. Aside from a few there aren't too many positional 'gimmie's' on the team. Meaning we could see a lot of guys playing different positions for a while to find something that works. In fact, their versatility could come in quite handy.

so for chits and giggles here's a line up. tried to make it a bit different from what I've seen.

Moses-LeBlanc-Butler
                          Sislo-DeSimone-Thompson
                          Henrion-Speelman-Block
                          McCarey-Borisenok-Burke

Kessel-Krates
                          Hardowa-Kipp
                          AIA-Kostalansky/Campanale

Either way. looking forward to another entertaining and competitive Season from the 'Cats.

GO CATS!!!
                          Last edited by i'zonprize; 09-24-2009, 08:51 PM.
                          GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Waiting list? What waiting list?

*****http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs221.snc1/6832_638673960211_11009089_37806138_3111541_n.jpg******
                            113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                              Wow, now that is setting your sights low. I guess at least you will not be disappointed!
                              I am a realist. I don't see enough talent on this roster. The no defined roles is really a lack of top end tallent.

I see it being tight to get 4th with UML, BU and BC in the top three spots. I think UNH will have a challenge getting by UVM and NU. That says 5th - 6th to me.
                              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                              X