This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

the guys looked great tonight, my question is why wasnt steve moses playing. he was sitting on the bench with his helmet off the entire game, does anybody know why this could be?

Comment

In other news, Motzko said the team has engaged a volunteer goaltending coach to replace Justin Johnson, who returned to his alma mater, the University of Minnesota. The new addition is Michael Ayers, a 29-year-old former New Hampshire goalie whose career topped out with 28 games in the AHL -- most recently with Norfolk in 2006-07. A native of Higham, Mass., now in Minnesota, he was a sixth-round pick of the Chicago Blackhawks in 2000. He also played briefly in Sweden in 2007-08. Husky fans will better remember Ayers as the Wildcats goalie who stopped 35 of 37 shots to beat SCSU 5-2 in the 2003 NCAA Tournament.

Thought you guys might be interested in this.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
        In other news, Motzko said the team has engaged a volunteer goaltending coach to replace Justin Johnson, who returned to his alma mater, the University of Minnesota. The new addition is Michael Ayers, a 29-year-old former New Hampshire goalie whose career topped out with 28 games in the AHL -- most recently with Norfolk in 2006-07. A native of Higham, Mass., now in Minnesota, he was a sixth-round pick of the Chicago Blackhawks in 2000. He also played briefly in Sweden in 2007-08. Husky fans will better remember Ayers as the Wildcats goalie who stopped 35 of 37 shots to beat SCSU 5-2 in the 2003 NCAA Tournament.

Thought you guys might be interested in this.
        When I talked to Mike last year in Minnesota, he was helping coach a high school team. Good for him...he's a good guy.
        AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Originally posted by UNHHKYRKS View Post
          the guys looked great tonight, my question is why wasnt steve moses playing. he was sitting on the bench with his helmet off the entire game, does anybody know why this could be?
          Not everyone played. Maybe he's slightly under the weather. It's an exhibition game...would read too much into the lineup.
          AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Originally posted by UNHHKYRKS View Post
            After the team intro's, Moses was in the stands with a suit on.
            Groin injury.

Comment

I know it was only an exhibition game, but liked what I saw out there tonight. Team played hard for 60 minutes. Some of the Freshman looked good, liked what I saw out of Burke, had some good chances, and looks like he knows how to use his size around the net. Was surprised on what I saw out of Block. Really no hype about his, but this kid can fly and has no problem going to the net, think he might have earned some ice time tonight. If he gets out there he could turn into a fan favorite soon. The entire team seemed to be going more towards the net tonight then last year, hoping that keeps up all year. Also seemed to be more aggressive on the forecheck. Be interesting to see if they can or will keep up this physical more aggressive style of play. Trying not to read to much into one exhibition game but they didn't nothing tonight lessen my excitement for the season.

Comment

Very impressive game by the Cats' tonight, although they were playing a clearly inferior opponent. I really liked the team speed and puck movement. I thought the freshmen really fit in well. It will be interesting to see how the d-men play against better quality opponents, as there's only one senior on the blue line this year. Nice to see them score on the PP as well. Great start to the year, and I'm really looking forward to next week against RPI.
                Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
                2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Good pre-season opener. Foster looked sharp in goal, except when a slapshot got by him on the right side from the fog bank. Kessel and Krates played good defense (especially when checking). Butler's third period goal looked real good. A lot of positives tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                    Some of the Freshman looked good, liked what I saw out of Burke, had some good chances, and looks like he knows how to use his size around the net. Was surprised on what I saw out of Block. Really no hype about his, but this kid can fly and has no problem going to the net, think he might have earned some ice time tonight. If he gets out there he could turn into a fan favorite soon.
                    This sums up my biggest thought on the night. If Burke learns to use that size to his advantage, both around the net and along the boards, he'll be an impact player by his sophomore year.

Block...wow can that kid skate. He seemed to be across the ice from the play one moment, then he'd flash in and take the puck the other way the next. Again, it's very early, but a good sign that he can move that quickly.

I think I figured out what the deal is with Borisenok. He can skate well, he's a good puck handler. But once he's in the offensive zone, he's very indecisive. He had a good chance in the 3rd where he could have either shot OR dropped it to a winger (don't remember who) and he just kept carrying toward the net, got pushed off the puck, and never got a shot off. I think the mental part of his game is what holds him back.

In a grander sense, the mental part of EVERYONE'S game was off last night. WAYYYYYY too many penalties. That may have been a result of lots of new guys playing, or a little bit of laziness in the first game. It seems like we say this every year, but the penalties need to come down if we're going to have chances to win games.

At any rate, good first game. Glad to see hockey back in Durham again. I can't make the trip out to Troy, so I'll have to wait 2 weeks for Miami.
                    A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Unlike some people who post regularly here, I like to go into every season looking at the freshmen as blank slate. Sometimes I can't help myself, especially when it's someone with unbelievable hype (Caron, S. Collins, JVR). But most of the time I try to ignore the ramblings ad nauseum about this guy and that guy. I'd much rather make up my own mind. It's like the days when Massachusetts high school hockey mattered and I'd go the rink and try to pick out the hotshot without even knowing his number.

Based on that theory, the two frosh who stood out for me last night were Block and Burke. I had no idea what Block's rep was coming in, only that he was a late recruit who had originally committed to AFA. What I saw was a guy who played both ends of the ice, had a jump in his skate and was pretty quick end-to-end. Opportunistic on his goal as well. Acadia is not RPI, let alone Miami, Wisconsin or BU, but his play was encouraging.

As for Burke, it wasn't exactly what he did out there last night but what I imagine he could do in the future. Good size, nice hands, a bit slow on the skating, but he certainly has more size than any other forward UNH has with, I imagine, the ability to get bigger and stronger. And the fact that he is a hometown boy won't hurt. Might energize the fan base a bit.

Other than that, up front UNH is definitely going to need folks like Sislo (nice one-timer from the left circle), LeBlanc, Butler and definitely DeSimone to step it up if they are going to compete this year. On the D, there was no much to go on since the play in the UNH end was not exactly rugged. I'd like to think the practices are little more intense than what we saw last night. Foster looked pretty sharp, except on the flutterball that he missed. It goes without saying that most nights he'll have to be at the top of his game.

No RPI for me next week, but after that it is a pretty good run through Thanksgiving, including the monster trip to Wisconsin. College hockey is the best.

Comment

So, who exactly are you calling out here?

Comment

*****http://www.joshgibney.com/whitHDR2web.jpg******
                          kind of dig this image from this evening after women's hockey..

Comment

Thoughts from my seat:

Liked:

Burke - big forward. Not swift of foot but shows signs of understanding his sizes. Seemed smart with his hits. By the second period he was already showing influence on the play because of his sizes. They wouldn't go up his side on the breakout and gave up at clearing him from in front of the net on the power play. These are good signs.

Physical Play - UNH appears to have some size and did hit. This is the game they will need this year. They will need to out work teams.

Going to the Front of the Net - UNH seemed comfortable going into the tough zones on the ice. Of the 8 goals Saturday 4 or 5 were in tight. I hope they keep it up. Seemed the freshman were the ones in tight - another good sign.

Freshman Playing on the First 2 lines - Henrion started and Burke was on the second line. I am not suyre if this is a good or not, I would like to think it is a good sign.

Captains - My understanding is UNH coaches couldn't be on the ice with the players for practice until Saturday am. They could only have something like 45 minutes 3 times the week before for off ice instruction. If that info is true than it bodes well for this years leaders. UNH didn't look like they ran out of gas and seemed to play well together. That means somebody made sure practices were for something.

What I didn't Like

D-men on an Arcadia beak - UNH D-men appeared to give up the cornor on rushes. Arcadia didn't seem to know what to do once they turned and that was a good thing. I think this is a positioning thing and some coaching may help.

Lines in the 3rd - The 3rd period saw Umile shuffle the lines. There were times the players seemed lost.
                            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Just wanted to post in here to say what a tremendous addition JVR (Reemer, as I like to call him :P) has been to my Flyers. After watching him during his career at UNH, I'm glad he's on my side now He's been fantastic so far.

Good luck this season.

Go BU. Go Flyers.

Comment

Burke was hugely impressive. It seemed as if the team hit more against Acadia than they did the entire 08-09 regular season and HE playoffs combined. Kudos to the captains.
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X