X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
    I was at the Saturday game, and it was Maine who was gassed in the third period. UNH dominated and put heavy pressure on the Bears in their end until Flynn scored on a breakaway for Maine at 18:22 to go up 5-3 and put the game away. Umile, DeSimone and Kessel pretty much summed it up, after they went up 2-0, they became complacent and let Maine back in the game. When the Bears tied the game at 2-2 the fans came alive and it really sparked their team.
    Teams take more chances when down at the end of the game...makes the other team looked more gassed than they are, and actually does begin to take a lot out of a team. I think the complacent line is a bunch of bullchit. How can any team make the same mistake 2 nights in a row in a rivals building ?? lol
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
      Teams take more chances when down at the end of the game...makes the other team looked more gassed than they are, and actually does begin to take a lot out of a team. I think the complacent line is a bunch of bullchit. How can any team make the same mistake 2 nights in a row in a rivals building ?? lol
      Great points, but that is not what happened on Saturday. UNH let Maine back in the game during the second period and it had nothing to do with being gassed. Outplayed, sure, but exhaustion was never a factor for the Cats.

Comment

Wow....Umile is clearly emotionally disturbed by last weekend. That cant be healthy....it seems clear he is taking this sport a bit too seriously, perhaps too much for his own health.

UNH has always, it seems, relied too heavily on the their top 3 lines and gassed them out by the end of an uptempto game. Maine played all 4 lines all game long and probably had more in the tank both games at the end. I think this is a Umile trust, or lack of trust, issue. He may never, ever feel comfortable with his 4th line. jmo.
        Sadly, I think you're right about Coach Umile's underutilization of the 4th line. It's too bad because the 4th line often has talented freshman who blossom in their sophomore year. For example, I think Borisenok played on the 4th line last season and was used sparingly. Clearly, in retrospect, he had the talent to play a lot more in his freshman year. The Coach's mistrust of his 4th line may end up holding back gifted players. Come on Coach, lighten up a little. Heck, McCarey and Henrion both played on the U.S. National Development team. They're no slouches.

Also, you're right about Umile's appearance and demeanor. He looked dragged out.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

I agree that the 4th line should be used more. Those are some talented kids, especially McCarey and Henrion.

Any word on next years OOC opponents?
          Last edited by GoUNH; 02-11-2010, 08:23 AM. Reason: Sp

Comment

Clark-Hislop-Cox
            First time posting on the UNH board and only took a peek on the board when I noticed your username. Back in the day I had a chance to play against that line and walked away from the game in awe. They were so great together and had so much respect with the way they played together. One of my great loves of the game is to see the game played the right way, especially by lines that totally letting go of personal ego and playing the game with intelligence and skill.
            Have only seen UNH on the tube, but would agree with your points about playing your 4th line on a more regular basis. Coaches often fail to empower these players and create a negative situation in so many ways. First off, you do run your top players into the ground, as you mention. Second you create a self fulfilling prophecy, in that, by not playing them they lack the confidence to play and when they do and make a mistake they are further knocked down in the confidence department, not to mention the divisions you create in the locker room, between the haves and the have not. Keep in mind that besides the 4th liners not playing you also have 4-5 players not even dressed for each game. Don't for a second think that most of these players are not ****ed off and think their coach is sticking it to them. People often misunderstand how demoralizing it is to not play.
            The amazing thing is that the difference between the 4th lines and 3rd lines is usually so small that with playing time and confidence from the coaching staff many of these players actually have a chance to pass some of their teammates ability-wise by the end of the year. Hopefully Coach Umile, in the future will change his ways, but I wouldn't hold my breath as hard A coaches like himself tend to never change.

Comment

Originally posted by slaphappy View Post
              Clark-Hislop-Cox
              First time posting on the UNH board and only took a peek on the board when I noticed your username. Back in the day I had a chance to play against that line and walked away from the game in awe. They were so great together and had so much respect with the way they played together. One of my great loves of the game is to see the game played the right way, especially by lines that totally letting go of personal ego and playing the game with intelligence and skill.
              Have only seen UNH on the tube, but would agree with your points about playing your 4th line on a more regular basis. Coaches often fail to empower these players and create a negative situation in so many ways. First off, you do run your top players into the ground, as you mention. Second you create a self fulfilling prophecy, in that, by not playing them they lack the confidence to play and when they do and make a mistake they are further knocked down in the confidence department, not to mention the divisions you create in the locker room, between the haves and the have not. Keep in mind that besides the 4th liners not playing you also have 4-5 players not even dressed for each game. Don't for a second think that most of these players are not ****ed off and think their coach is sticking it to them. People often misunderstand how demoralizing it is to not play.
              The amazing thing is that the difference between the 4th lines and 3rd lines is usually so small that with playing time and confidence from the coaching staff many of these players actually have a chance to pass some of their teammates ability-wise by the end of the year. Hopefully Coach Umile, in the future will change his ways, but I wouldn't hold my breath as hard A coaches like himself tend to never change.
              Wow - thanks for the insight! We amateur fans rarely get a glimpse of what happens in the locker room and on the practice ice from actual players.

And yes, Gordie, Jamie and Cliff were thrilling to watch. As the years have past, I'm sure my memories of their play together have become exaggerated. But they were a special trio. Will never forget how they scored three goals (If I remember correctly) during a 3-on-3 sequence in the 1974 ECAC playoff game against RPI.

Comment

Great points made Slaphappy! Back in the mid-70's, no one wanted to take a right once entering the locker room doors...that room only had the old rubber mats and steel lockers, and no heat! Usually the 4th line and extras dressed in their....I love UNH but it's from those beginnings that such pride comes today....my point here was to tell C-H-C that I have DVD's of the '77' NCAA semi's, UNH vs Wisconsin, plus others that include much of the 3 on 3 that we had against RPI.... CC coming in from the right face off circle coming in to the front of the crease and roofing the puck over Cutt's glove....talk about talent on the ice!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                  Great points made Slaphappy! Back in the mid-70's, no one wanted to take a right once entering the locker room doors...that room only had the old rubber mats and steel lockers, and no heat! Usually the 4th line and extras dressed in their....I love UNH but it's from those beginnings that such pride comes today....my point here was to tell C-H-C that I have DVD's of the '77' NCAA semi's, UNH vs Wisconsin, plus others that include much of the 3 on 3 that we had against RPI.... CC coming in from the right face off circle coming in to the front of the crease and roofing the puck over Cutt's glove....talk about talent on the ice!
                  Needle in a haystack! Thanks so much Zoofer. I'd be willing to pay a ridiculous sum for those DVD's - especially the 1974 clips. Please advise.

Comment

Originally posted by slaphappy View Post
                    Clark-Hislop-Cox
                    Have only seen UNH on the tube, but would agree with your points about playing your 4th line on a more regular basis. Coaches often fail to empower these players and create a negative situation in so many ways... Hopefully Coach Umile, in the future will change his ways, but I wouldn't hold my breath as hard A coaches like himself tend to never change.
                    Great points made Slaphappy! Back in the mid-70's, no one wanted to take a right once entering the locker room doors...that room only had the old rubber mats and steel lockers, and no heat! Usually the 4th line and extras dressed in their....I love UNH but it's from those beginnings that such pride comes today....
                    I'm reading between the lines here but it sounds like Coach Umile's reluctance to choose a 4th line and give them adequate playing time may separate him from other successful coaches such as Jerry York. Also, it sounds like this clear demarcation between Lines 1-3 and the 4th line began long ago when Dick Umile played under Charlie Holt. In the early part of this season, I thought Coach Umile was loosening up a bit regarding his tendency to minimize icetime for freshman. Having Speelman on the first line for a while and Burke on the 2nd and 3rd line was a positive trend. I guess old habits die hard.

Comment

oh man...i saw that goal by cc and can still remember it as clear as a bell. would love to have a copy of that one. i was sittin down at the end where he shot it and was amazed how he roofed it like that. what a line. they were fun to watch. do you have a dvd of the '79 ecac championship game?

thanks for that

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                      I've found my VHS tape of the 1999 National Championship game. I'll either make a VHS copy or transfer it over to a DVD. If I go the DVD route, I'd make it available for the cost of the transfer + materials.

Although I doubt anyone has it, I would love a tape of the 1974 ECAC playoff game against RPI. I remember that it was broadcast on NH Public Television, Channel 11, but of course, VCR technology was not available at the time.
                      hey chc thanks for the offer. maybe i should just go ahead and buy the dvd on amazon. probably easier on everyone.

just thinking out loud but this may be something the friends might want to get involvedd with. i bet if they could get together and copy some of these old tapes and dvd's and such they could sell a chit load of them as a fund raiser. just a thought.
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Wow....Umile is clearly emotionally disturbed by last weekend. That cant be healthy....it seems clear he is taking this sport a bit too seriously, perhaps too much for his own health.
                        do ya think

umile is as passionate about the game and obviously unh hockey as anyone. i'd be a bit disturbed after losing to maine that way if i was him too though. but like he said, it was disappointing but unh is still in first place and has to move forward.
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post

hey chc thanks for the offer. maybe i should just go ahead and buy the dvd on amazon. probably easier on everyone.
                          Makes sense - the quality of the DVD will be much better.

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          just thinking out loud but this may be something the friends might want to get involvedd with. i bet if they could get together and copy some of these old tapes and dvd's and such they could sell a chit load of them as a fund raiser. just a thought.
                          Excellent idea. Nostalgia sells with the baby-boomers.

Comment

Sure CHC, I'm pressed at work right now but I'll get to you about the DVD's...I don't have the 79 game but can check on who might.....e.cat is definitely right and if I do chose the UNH-PC game Friday over the Olympics I can talk with Bruce Hardenbrook about it for the Friends group to come up with...work now though.....

Comment

Agreed. He looked and sounded like his dog died and he hadn't had a good night sleep all week. Desimone sounded depressed and Kessel like a man who won't be in Durham next year. I don't normally view these conferences so I have no frame of reference, but based on this clip the team better have an attitude adjustment (I think it will) or the HE semis and NCAAs are not going to happen.
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Clark-Hislop-Cox

Comment

Working...
                                X