X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    But every college hockey fan in the country considered the Maine sweep an upset of considerable magnitude.(Us included.)
    Not true. I, along with those I traveled to Orono with, went into the weekend believing that 2 points would mark a successful series for UNH. Maine is a very good team and their home ice advantage was apparent this weekend.
    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      I agree that it sucks to listen to the opponents homers call a win for their team...But every college hockey fan in the country considered the Maine sweep an upset of considerable magnitude.(Us included.)
      UNH was ranked 13th, Maine was 16th; national polls don't mean much, but they do tend to represent how teams are viewed by the rest of the college hockey world - so, many thought that UNH was only a bit better than Maine. I suppose the outcome was surprising (and hell, exciting, given the comeback, and all), but Merrimack beating UNH the week before was a MUCH bigger upset.

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      I would pay you for a copy of that tape. The offer is good also for anybody who has copies of the "79 ECAC Championship and the two Hockey East Championship games.
      I actually have the 2003 HE Championship on VCD. Well, most of the game. It's missing the first few minutes; don't miss any goals, though. I'm not sure I've ever watched it all the way through. I will tonight, and make sure they're complete other than that first chunk. I think I can be convinced to burn a copy for interested parties.
      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
      -Fred Shero

Comment

unh would be in the top 5 if any of their good players would actually set foot on campus...
        "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
          Krog hit the goalpost instead of the back of the net against UMaine in the '99 National Championship game. If that puck goes in, Umile's a hero, there's THE banner in the rafters at the Whitt, there's THE trophy in the now empty trophy case, and UNH fans would be more proud of the teams' accomplishments over the last 10 years. Instead, Shawn Walsh became a legendary figure, fans of opposing teams get their jollies by ridiculing the "university of no hardware," and many UNH fans can't overcome the recurring negative attitude that their team, coaches and future recruits aren't good enough.
          Yup.
          GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Krog hit the goalpost instead of the back of the net against UMaine in the '99 National Championship game. If that puck goes in, Umile's a hero, there's THE banner in the rafters at the Whitt, there's THE trophy in the now empty trophy case, and UNH fans would be more proud of the teams' accomplishments over the last 10 years. Instead, Shawn Walsh became a legendary figure, fans of opposing teams get their jollies by ridiculing the "university of no hardware," and many UNH fans can't overcome the recurring negative attitude that their team, coaches and future recruits aren't good enough.
            Mon Dieu.

1. Et if ma tante ave de cubes she be mon oncle, eh. Da. puck. not. go. ins. Period. You win d'hockey game ou you lose it end of da sad story mes amies.

2. Shawne Walsh who I really not liked lost a few champship game to mais e gots back et winned finalement. Umile, when e gonna get back toget it done

3. 99 est one yeare in 20. What about all de udder yeare, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
              I actually have the 2003 HE Championship on VCD. Well, most of the game. It's missing the first few minutes; don't miss any goals, though. I'm not sure I've ever watched it all the way through. I will tonight, and make sure they're complete other than that first chunk. I think I can be convinced to burn a copy for interested parties.
              thank you cbg. if you can that would be awesome just let me know. no pressure but i can meet up with you at a game whenever or provide you with my email and address and phone #. it would be nice to get the other games too. some unh fan must have copies. i bet i'm not the only fan who would pay for them either, ya know?
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                I would pay you for a copy of that tape {1999 National Championship}. The offer is good also for anybody who has copies of the "79 ECAC Championship and the two Hockey East Championship games.
                I've found my VHS tape of the 1999 National Championship game. I'll either make a VHS copy or transfer it over to a DVD. If I go the DVD route, I'd make it available for the cost of the transfer + materials.

Although I doubt anyone has it, I would love a tape of the 1974 ECAC playoff game against RPI. I remember that it was broadcast on NH Public Television, Channel 11, but of course, VCR technology was not available at the time.
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

I've found my VHS tape of the 1999 National Championship game. I'll either make a VHS copy or transfer it over to a DVD. If I go the DVD route, I'd make it available for the cost of the transfer + materials.

Although I doubt anyone has it, I would love a tape of the 1974 ECAC playoff game against RPI. I remember that it was broadcast on NH Public Television, Channel 11, but of course, VCR technology was not available at the time.
                  http://www.amazon.com/1999-NCAA-Divi...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Comment

Nothing important to say at the moment... But seeing the Maine thread at the top of the list ticked me off. *grin*

Comment

Video of today's UNH press conference courtesy of Biz Jacobs from Inside Hockey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwaAFXkiguI

Comment

Originally posted by bostonfan86 View Post
                        Video of today's UNH press conference courtesy of Biz Jacobs from Inside Hockey:

Coach Umile was clearly irritated. DeSimone and Kessel seemed chastened. Interesting that both players said the team relaxed after they got a 2 goal lead in both games. Did they relax or are they unable to maintain a torrid pace for three periods?

Comment

Coach Umile was clearly irritated. DeSimone and Kessel seemed chastened. Interesting that both players said the team relaxed after they got a 2 goal lead in both games. Did they relax or are they unable to maintain a torrid pace for three periods?
                          Yes.

The relaxed. But also, not having Burke and Speelman on their lines affected everything else; 3rd and 4th lines were playing with different combinations. Also, Maine worked hard to get Nyquist on the ice when our 1st or 2nd lines were not, and the lower lines got worn out. In turn, the 1st and 2nd lines got used more, and got worn out.

Also, each game at the start UNH played physical, and as the game went on, and UNH got those early leads, they relaxed, and quit working as hard along the boards. We all saw how that worked out.
                          I haven't been on here in a year...
                          Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                            Yes.

The relaxed. But also, not having Burke and Speelman on their lines affected everything else; 3rd and 4th lines were playing with different combinations. Also, Maine worked hard to get Nyquist on the ice when our 1st or 2nd lines were not, and the lower lines got worn out. In turn, the 1st and 2nd lines got used more, and got worn out.

Also, each game at the start UNH played physical, and as the game went on, and UNH got those early leads, they relaxed, and quit working as hard along the boards. We all saw how that worked out.
                            I watched both games over the internet feed from CBS Sports and I got the same impression as you. I guess it goes without saying that not having Burke and Speelman was a big factor.

Following the Beanpot final the other night, I saw an interview with Coach York. He made an interesting point which is relevant to UNH's situation. He said that the reason BC and BU were able to maintain a fast and furious pace throughout the game is because both teams have talented players on all four lines. He didn't mention UNH but I think a key difference between UNH and the Boston teams is how much play the 4th line gets. Since the North Dakota game last spring, UNH has adopted an uptempo, work hard on every shift game plan. To be successful over the entire season without burning your players out, the team needs the 3rd and 4th lines to play consistently. It seems to me that the UNH 4th line has been used sparingly since the beginning of the season. It also hasn't helped that the players on the 4th line are different every night. I rather see the coaching staff stick with the same three players on the 4th line and give them more icetime. Personally, I think Manz at center with McCarey and Henrion on the wings is the most talented combination.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonfan86 View Post

Wow....Umile is clearly emotionally disturbed by last weekend. That cant be healthy....it seems clear he is taking this sport a bit too seriously, perhaps too much for his own health.

UNH has always, it seems, relied too heavily on the their top 3 lines and gassed them out by the end of an uptempto game. Maine played all 4 lines all game long and probably had more in the tank both games at the end. I think this is a Umile trust, or lack of trust, issue. He may never, ever feel comfortable with his 4th line. jmo.

Maine's weakness, otoh, has been a tendency to come out too slowly to start a game and then have to work their way back into it. Has happened time and time again.
                              Last edited by acs64; 02-11-2010, 06:59 AM.
                              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                                Wow....Umile is clearly emotionally disturbed by last weekend. That cant be healthy....it seems clear he is taking this sport a bit too seriously, perhaps too much for his own health.

UNH has allways, it seems, relied too heavily on the their top 3 lines and gassed them out by the end of an uptempto game. Maine played all 4 lines all game long and probably had more in the tank both games at the end. I think this is a Umile trust, or lack of trust, issue. He may never, ever feel comfortable with his 4th line. jmo.

Maine's weakness, otoh, has been a tendency to come out too slowly to start a game and then have to work their way back into it. Has happened time and time again.
                                I was at the Saturday game, and it was Maine who was gassed in the third period. UNH dominated and put heavy pressure on the Bears in their end until Flynn scored on a breakaway for Maine at 18:22 to go up 5-3 and put the game away. Umile, DeSimone and Kessel pretty much summed it up, after they went up 2-0, they became complacent and let Maine back in the game. When the Bears tied the game at 2-2 the fans came alive and it really sparked their team.

Comment

Working...
                                X