X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
    That 06-07 team was helped by getting a MONSTER sophomore year out of Trevor Smith, who would end up bolting for the AHL (where he's stayed) after losing to Miami in the NCAA's (in Manchester).

Now, I say to myself, who on this team is ready to have a year like Smith did in 06-07? There are a lot of names that stick out.

1. Mike Sislo - Could say last year was his "Coming out year" and it certainly helped playing on JVR's line. However, I think he's actually a very talented scorer, and if he and Butler play on the same line, they could put a lot of pucks in the net.

2. Steve Moses - I don't know what it was about this kid, but he always seemed to hustle his way into plays last year. That pays off, since hustle tends to create opportunities.

3. Mike Borisenok - Didn't play much in the second half of last year, but the kid has talent. Give him a full season, and he might surprise.

4. Paul Thompson - I'll admit, I'm a homer on this call. He's from my hometown. But I still remember the first half of his freshman season, where it seemed like he was trying to prove that he belonged, and ended up scoring a boatload of goals before dropping off the radar. He has something to prove again, and if he keeps grinding and fighting down low, he'll get chances to put the puck in the net again.

Those are my guys to watch for this season. I think if any, or preferably all of them, have breakout years, then UNH could be a serious contender.
    1. Sislo, this year, has a better chance to drop in production than increase. He does have a nice finishing touch, but you can't underrate the impact JVR had on him last year.
    2. Moses is the one guy of these four that can and will have a breakout year. I see his sophomore season playing out like Sislo's did last year. Both were trapped on grind lines their freshman year although they both had potential. Starting the year on a line with Sislo and Desimone will allow him to really shine. Moses has blazing speed and will be a very fun player to watch the next few years in Durham.
    3. If Borisenok works hard, he will be a grind-liner, and nothing more.
    4. Thompson does have the potential, as his Jr. Monarchs numbers show, but has lacked the work ethic and discipline his first two years here, and I think that is why he sat for half the season last year.

RTW's picks for breakout years among returning Wildcats are Moses and Phil Desimone.
    My bold prediction is that John Henrion will have a very good freshman season and finish in the top 4 on the team in goals.
    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
      1. Sislo, this year, has a better chance to drop in production than increase. He does have a nice finishing touch, but you can't underrate the impact JVR had on him last year.
      2. Moses is the one guy of these four that can and will have a breakout year. I see his sophomore season playing out like Sislo's did last year. Both were trapped on grind lines their freshman year although they both had potential. Starting the year on a line with Sislo and Desimone will allow him to really shine. Moses has blazing speed and will be a very fun player to watch the next few years in Durham.
      4. Thompson does have the potential, as his Jr. Monarchs numbers show, but has lacked the work ethic and discipline his first two years here, and I think that is why he sat for half the season last year.

RTW's picks for breakout years among returning Wildcats are Moses and Phil Desimone.
      My bold prediction is that John Henrion will have a very good freshman season and finish in the top 4 on the team in goals.
      what he said.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

You are really sold hook line and sinker on Henrion... I see Sislo having a season with production that was similar to last year. I would rather not have Henrion on that first line and put Sislo up there and have DeSimone and Moses play with Henrion. (I tend to think Phil DeSimone's passing is better than LeBlanc and Butler's) Sislo can create on his own and the team of him and Butler seemed to be real solid last year.

Borisenok is my favorite player coming into the season, and it will be interesting if he can actually develop hands of any sort. He hustles every shift, and that alone makes up for his lack of skills.

My breakout seasons are coming from Moses and Borisenok, I just like the way they play, things seem to happen while they are on the ice...
        UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

JVR definitely had an impact on giving him more chances last year, but I also feel that Sislo also creates his own opportunities. Maybe I'm a little too optimistic about him, and UNH in general.

I've been waiting on DeSimone, and I'd say that this is more of a "make or break" year on his legacy at UNH. He's got the potential to be a great playmaker, set guys up and whatnot, but until he ends up with guys like a Sislo or a Butler...guys who can finish...he's just going to be a guy who skates and passes well.
          A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

I can't resist not jumping into the fun here.

I like the Moses pick for sure and DeSimone does have the potential. His 3rd yr in the USHL was his MVP season.. so if he even has half as good a 3rd yr at UNH he's going to do well. I would hope for 25-30or more points from him.

Agreed that Sislo might drop a bit. JVR had him at 'Hello' and I don't see Mike as a guy who creates all that much, but a guy who can wind up and blast a slapper by anyone in College.

I would be happy to see Paul Thompson break out as well, his game in college defintely seems to be around the net.

Moses is a great pick, but i think a somewhat obvious one. I'm going to go with LeBlanc. He's got more upside to go. Doubled his points from 15 to 30 and probably gets upgraded players around him vs. last season and with Moses and Henrion(like that creativity RTW) he could put up some good yr end totals above 30.

Next to Henrion, Sislo has the best Slapper on the team. I can see him putting up some goals, but that first yr can always be tough. The USNDT season under his belt.. I think he can make it better than most.

Would love to see Borisenok play on a line like the Collins/Fortney line that existed for about 3 seasons.. hustle and guts.. and Borisenok has an offensive touch, I think those two did not.

Let's not forget the guys who play D..

Kessel is kinda expected to have a solid yr.. I want to see Kipp and/or Hardowa do some damage on the opposition and show that they can potentially bring back the HOME RUN PASS, that has not been seen in Durham for ages..

I'm thinking that soo many people have almost burried this team to the middle of the pack, that after they take 3 out of 4 in Wisconsin and 4 out of 4 against Miami that some might start whistling a different tune.

Let's go 'Cats!!!

P.S. Don't forget about the local kid.. Burke..(SHH)
            Last edited by i'zonprize; 10-01-2009, 11:20 PM.
            GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

I have a couple thoughts on the players this season... most potential, most pressure to perform, Possibility for a drop off, and my key and prediciton to the season.

Most Potential:
              Depending on the Line pairings, Steve Moses has the potential to be great. Soft hands plus blazing speed has always be a great recipe to cause other teams fits in college hockey. Depending on what he added for size this year, he will be someone the team leads on for goals production. 20-25 points

Most Pressure:
              This one is a no brainer. Phil Desimone had enough pop to lead the USHL in scoring before he got to UNH. That warranted him to be a 3rd round draft pick, The team needs his scoring and playmaking abilities to come through this year. 25-27 points

Largest Dropoff: Mike Sislo, The JVR effect on his scoring was huge. He set up most of his one timers and drew coverage off of him for a majority of the time. Mike should see a slight drop off in production from last year, I'm gonna go with a 3 or 4 goal drop off. leaving him in that 25 point range.

Key to the season: our back 3 is going to be the key, starting with Foster. Can he stay healthy for the season and lead UNH to the next level. He has shown the flashes of being a great goaltender. In his second year of starting goaltender I expect he steals 2-3 more games.
              Secondly how does the defensive corps stack up with two frosh on the roster, being Kostolansky and Hardowa, I expect big things from them. Kessel will be solid again, and Kipp and Campanale will provide depth and leadership.

My expectation:
              With the early schedule toughness... 2 at home against Miami and a all hallows weekend in the house of horrors known as Wisconsin. This team could be poised to take its lumps early and find its way for a late season run. I think that 20 wins is definatley attainable for this team. With the lack of solid goaltending for BC for the early run I see UNH in the 3-4 range in Hockey East, but only if they play with the heart and detirmination that they showed in lasts years NCAA's.

It's hockey season in Durham yet again... Dust off those jersey's, break out the phase 10 cards. Call in your orders to wings, stats, JP's and have them delivered to the WHIT. GO CATS!!!

Comment

I'll repost my August 26th predictions

Sr.Peter Leblanc 37-12-19-31
                Sr.Bobby Butler 37-17-13-30
                Jr.Mike Sislo 37-15-11-26
                Jr.Phil DeSimone 37-9-15-24
                So.Steve Moses 37-8-16-24
                Fr.John Henrion 37-10-6-16
                Jr.Paul Thompson 37-8-7-15
                Fr.Greg Burke 35-5-6-11
                Fr.Dalton Speelman 35-4-6-10
                Fr.Austin Block 26-4-4-8
                So.Mike Borisenok 20-3-2-5
                So.Kevin McCarey 20-1-3-4
                Fr.Scott Pavelski 10-0-1-1
                Jr.Greg Manz 15-0-1-1
                Fr.Ansel Ivens-Anderson 6-0-0-0
                95 goals from forwards

So.Blake Kessel 37-9-11-20
                Fr.Connor Hardowa 36-2-6-8
                So.Damon Kipp 37-1-5-6
                Fr.Brett Kostolansky 37-0-6-6
                Sr.Nick Krates 37-0-5-5
                Jr.Matt Campanale 19-0-3-3
                Jr.Mike Beck 19-1-2-3
                13 goals from defense

Totals: 37 games, 108 goals for, 95 goals against, 18-14-5 record, no NCAAs,

Season
                1991-92 36 22 12 2 166 123
                1992-93 38 18 17 3 158 143
                1993-94 40 25 12 3 145 125
                1994-95 36 22 10 4 161 123
                1995-96 34 12 18 4 139 150
                1996-97 39 28 11 0 204 129
                1997-98 33 23 9 1 163 102
                1998-99 41 31 7 3 171 91
                1999-00 38 23 9 6 122 105
                2000-01 39 21 12 6 122 86
                2001-02 40 30 7 3 184 102
                2002-03 42 28 8 6 156 96
                2003-04 41 20 15 6 138 116
                2004-05 42 26 11 5 166 114
                2005-06 40 20 13 7 120 102
                2006-07 39 26 11 2 139 89
                2007-08 38 25 10 3 132 94
                2008-09 38 20 13 5 116 112
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

[QUOTE=UNH09;4386508]You are really sold hook line and sinker on Henrion... ]

What’s the difference between McCarey and Herrion?

USNDT
                  McCarey -64g-20g-11a-31pts

Herrion-58g -19g-12a-31pts
                  PSW
                  watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

USNDT

A scoring touch?
                    Year Team GP G A PTS PM League
                    2007-08 Boston Jr.Bruins 45 34 19 53 72 EJHL

Year Tournament Team GP G A Pts PM
                    2009 U18 IIHF USA 7 2 2 4 10
                    Year Team GP G A PTS PM League
                    2005-06 Syracuse Stars 45 11 12 23 50 EJHL

Year Tournament Team GP G A Pts PM
                    2008 U18 IIHF USA 7 0 0 0 2
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 10-02-2009, 01:21 PM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      A scoring touch?
                      The Boston Jr. Bruins were a much more dominate team in the league and Herrion had plenty of help. The Syracuse Star were a newer team in 2005 McCarey certainly did not have the supporting cast. U18 tournament…..7games…..2 goals…..you can tell a scoring touch from that?
                      PSW
                      watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Originally posted by UNHRouge5 View Post
                        JVR makes Philly roster to start 09-10 NHL Season
                        http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...128&feedID=704
                        FYI - For you JVR fans. It looks like Comcast has the NHL Center Ice package available for free for a trial period. The Philly - Carolina game is on tonight at 7:00 pm.

Comment

[QUOTE=PSW;4387163]
                          Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
                          You are really sold hook line and sinker on Henrion... ]

USNDT

Not picking on you here, but statistics don't tell the whole story of any player. It amazes me how much people rely on stats to "prove" a player is "better" than another player.
                          AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                            FYI - For you JVR fans. It looks like Comcast has the NHL Center Ice package available for free for a trial period. The Philly - Carolina game is on tonight at 7:00 pm.
                            Watching the game right now (though not on Comcast).. He's looked pretty good so far for the 4+ minutes he's been on the ice. 1 Assist and one good check plus 2 shots on goal. Though I'm disappointed he won't be a Cat this year, I think he made the right decision jumping to the pros. Only time will tell.
                            Rule #7 says don't touch the women but we can grab whatever we want to

Comment

Originally posted by unhhkyfan9 View Post
                              Watching the game right now (though not on Comcast).. He's looked pretty good so far for the 4+ minutes he's been on the ice. 1 Assist and one good check plus 2 shots on goal. Though I'm disappointed he won't be a Cat this year, I think he made the right decision jumping to the pros. Only time will tell.

Video of JVR's first NHL point - a 2nd assist on PP. See:
                              http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?h...AR319&fr=false

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDan View Post
                                Video of JVR's first NHL point - a 2nd assist on PP. See:
                                http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?h...AR319&fr=false

...and 2 more helpers tonight. Leads team in points, top 20 in league.
                                Oh and yes; 2 games does not a season nor career make. But, way to go JVR.

Comment

Working...
                                X