This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Irish - tonight's game may have been the worst officiated game I've seen this season. Leblanc gets elbowed, cross-checked, and held, and the ref calls him for elbowing?

Bigos is a punk. He was whining to the refs after every period (except the 3rd), and then had the audacity to stand there with his hands out questioning why he was kicked out after the brutal hit on Burke. What a goon.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
    -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
      Irish - tonight's game may have been the worst officiated game I've seen this season. Leblanc gets elbowed, cross-checked, and held, and the ref calls him for elbowing?

Bigos is a punk. He was whining to the refs after every period (except the 3rd), and then had the audacity to stand there with his hands out questioning why he was kicked out after the brutal hit on Burke. What a goon.
      Normally Dan and Pete are quite reserved in their commentary re: the refs. They don't normally get to upset about the calls one way or the other. It's nice to hear that kind of objective commentary from a team specific broadcast team. That being said, they lost it a couple of times this weekend at some of the calls that were made. I can't fairly comment, only hearing a radio call, but I'm thinking this wasn't a banner weekend for the refs.
      Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
      2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post

Agreed Matt. This entire weekend was a travesty. Last night I had more of an issue with the non-calls Merrimack was getting away with. Tonight it was simply atrocious all-around.

That beign said, the entire emotional roller-coaster it brought about (this series just had an up-and-down, us-against-them sort of feel to it...street-fightish) was encapsulated in the overtime period. These guys just gave it everything they had and both games were about as tough and hard-fought as you could have gotten.

They say with boxers, two differing styles tend to bring out the best in both fighters. The same for these 2 teams. Merrimack has certainly become a talented defensive team, and Braithwaite is a great goaltender. He made some saves this weekend that most professional goalies wouldn't be able to make. It also helps when we sail pucks through the crease or hit posts, but man...he did a heckuva job keeping the puck out of the net.

Credit to the Warriors, they gave us everything they had and came away with 2 points on Friday. Credit to the Cats for fighting 60+ minutes tonight (best overall weekend effort all season, I think). I'm just grumpy about officiating as a whole.

Sadly, kinda, I won't be traveling next weekend to Oh-No. Have fun up there...if you dare!!!
        A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Big win for UNH last night....the 2 points will make it hard for anyone to catch them for the RS title and #1 seed. Assuming they can hold serve at home the rest of the way.....or basicly split every weekend. If they do this (5-4):

UMass would need to go 7-0-1 to tie them in points.
          BC-----7-1-1
          Maine 8-1-1
          Lowell 9-0-1

So a split next weekend in Maine would be huge. On paper the toughest weekend left on the schedule (due to opponent and both on the road).

Comment

Originally posted by CatMan UNH View Post
            Big win for UNH last night....the 2 points will make it hard for anyone to catch them for the RS title and #1 seed. Assuming they can hold serve at home the rest of the way.....or basicly split every weekend. If they do this (5-4):

BC-----7-1-1
            Maine 8-1-1
            Lowell 9-0-1

So a split next weekend in Maine would be huge. On paper the toughest weekend left on the schedule (due to opponent and both on the road).
            Admittedly a big two points for the Wildcats last night. But another big weekend coming in Orono. Agree we need to get at least two points there. But after that, they have five of their last seven at home. I'd like to think they're in good shape, but historically February has sometimes been a cruel month for UNH when they were at or near the top in the league.

What I took away from this weekend is how tough Merrimack is, particularly in their home rink. UNH has had a problem all year playing teams that have some size (Wisconsin and Cornell come to mind) and this weekend was no different. They weren't that far away from losing all four points and it doesn't make feel too comfortable when I think that, if Merrimack does indeed get into the playoffs, we may have to play them again.

Any further word on Speelman and Burke? We don't have much depth at forward, so if these two guys are out next weekend, I can see the first and second lines getting a lot of ice time. BTW, no surprise to me that LeBlanc had his most productive game of the season (he could have had four goals) when he skated with Moses. That should be a keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by CatMan UNH View Post

BC-----7-1-1
              Maine 8-1-1
              Lowell 9-0-1

Not out of the realm of possibility to see BC go on a 9-0-0 tear. And, though I haven't seen them play since early in the season (when they looked awful), from what I've heard, it wouldn't be odd to see Maine make a run, either.
              Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
              -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
                Normally Dan and Pete are quite reserved in their commentary re: the refs. They don't normally get to upset about the calls one way or the other. It's nice to hear that kind of objective commentary from a team specific broadcast team. That being said, they lost it a couple of times this weekend at some of the calls that were made. I can't fairly comment, only hearing a radio call, but I'm thinking this wasn't a banner weekend for the refs.
                I was at the game...and I agree with ComicBookGuy, probably one of the worst officiated games that I have seen in a long time. The only saving grace was the five-minute major on Bigos, though it just may have costed Burke the rest of his season.

Yes, and Bigos is a whiner...I was tempted to heave what was left of my Coke at him as entered the exit tunnel, but decorum prevailed.
                sigpicSouthern New Hampshire University '95

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                On a side note, when I found this video I also found some highlights of CC smoking BC in St. Louis. It was even worse than I remember. My God what an abortion that night was. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                  They say with boxers, two differing styles tend to bring out the best in both fighters. The same for these 2 teams. Merrimack has certainly become a talented defensive team, and Braithwaite is a great goaltender.
                  I'm not sure, but I think you may mean "talented offensive team" there.

Merrimack's offense and powerplay are among the league's best this year. Their penalty kill is also quite good, but they are among the worst for team defense and shots allowed. It is poor team defense that is keeping Merrimack from being middle of the pack, fighting for home ice right now instead of being out of the playoff picture, fighting to get a playoff berth.

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
                    I'm not sure, but I think you may mean "talented offensive team" there.

Merrimack's offense and powerplay are among the league's best this year. Their penalty kill is also quite good, but they are among the worst for team defense and shots allowed. It is poor team defense that is keeping Merrimack from being middle of the pack, fighting for home ice right now instead of being out of the playoff picture, fighting to get a playoff berth.
                    Indeed; Merrimack is 1-6 when scoring 4 or more goals. Huh? They can light the lamp, but often times not enough -- especially on the road. Having watched two the games this weekend, I think it was a great illustration of their rink versus ours; they used their team size (and the cherry pick) to slow us down offensively, and outworked our d in the corners more than has happened in a bit. Saturday at the Whit, UNH (albeit barely) used the larger sheet, and the more open space, to take advantage of the slightly slower Warriors. You could tell Merrimack was getting frustrated -- Bigos' hit on Burke was a straight up cheap shot.
                    I haven't been on here in a year...
                    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

In talking with Glenn Stewart before the game, he was very happy to use the size of his home rink the way that UNH uses the Olympic size, to the advantage of Merrimack. Yes there size does help them Greg but as was pointed out, Brathewaite had a great game, and their PP is very potent so how close we were to losing all 4 points is in question. You could also say that we should've swept them if not for the lazy in-zone turnover at Merrimack in the thrid!
                      As for forecasting the games ahead, back in the mid-70's we had Allen Chamberlain as our stats guy on the road with us, and he continually gave us the weekly updates like the ones shown here...if BC does this, or BU does that, then all we have to do is....it DID have it's affect on the team's performance....all Coach Holt,(bless him) would say in response, was all we had to do was win, never mind what anyone else would do.....I know we here look to have fun, and make conversation but old habits die hard I guess, as do superstitions....I'll simply worry about taking 2 points on Friday night!

Comment

The team says they are taking it "one game at a time", and that's the right mentality. I never agree with shutting it down to rest at the end of the season.

Having said that, it seems like they say that every year. Doing it's a whole different story.

Comment

I know we generally talk about the team and their play on the ice, but I'm pretty ticked off. The atmosphere at the Whit can directly affect the team's energy.

I am a UNH season ticket holder. I'm vocal, I know the game of hockey very well, and when something at a game upsets me, I say it.

More importantly, when things aren't goint well for the 'Cats, I'm the guy who starts a UNH chant in my section. For me, being a fan isn't just about watching the games; I know the team feeds off the energy when the crowd is in the game. This year's team is no exception to that. When things are going well, I'm loud for the team's effort.

Saturday's officiating was frustrating, to put it mildly, but other than my classic, "Does your wife know you're screwing us?" scream for the refs, I said nothing vulgar (yes I know, "screwing" is borderline). My wife is an elementary school teacher, and there are many school kids sitting around us so we are very careful, while being vocal, to also be respectful.

I just recieved a call from somebody in UNH Athletics (doesn't matter who) that there have been "several complaints about the people sitting in your seats, using vulgarity all the time". I called back and explained that we are extremely vocal, but also always cognisant to never use vulgarity (I admit, I did let an f-bomb slip when Burke was HFB, but I wasn't screaming) when yelling. We make it a point to use clean, and often humorous, language. The most offensive thing I said the whole game was when I berated Braithwaite for celebrating when Merrimack scored to make it 2-1, saying we have more goals in this game than you have wins on the road (and to hang his head in shame). I got a round of modest applause from people around us for that.

In short, I was told, "well we won't get into 'he said / she said' regarding the vulgarity, and we appreciate that you are cognisant of not using it, but you need to quiet down. There are people who are in those seats that have been there for 10 years who don't want to hear cheering like thatat a hockey game."

I paid for my seats, and I'll be ****ed if I'm going to be told not to cheer. Kick me out if you want. I have half a mind to bring a recorder to the next game to prove that I don't say anything vulgar. I'm not in the student section anymore, and I know it. Maybe I should never have left section 124. I understand more than ever why it's called the "Whittemorgue."

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                            In short, I was told, "well we won't get into 'he said / she said' regarding the vulgarity, and we appreciate that you are cognisant of not using it, but you need to quiet down. There are people who are in those seats that have been there for 10 years who don't want to hear cheering like thatat a hockey game."
                            If it were me I wouldn't worry about it.

It is not like the place has been packed every game and we all know what happened to the waiting list.

Somehow I don't think Marty $$$ is going to do anything to a paying customer either way.
                            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Re: Vulgarity, Whittermorge, etc in last 2 posts

I am a Merrimack fan. I have gone to every arena in Hockey East, including Walter Brown and Tully Forum (BU and UML's old rinks). Ever since 95 or 96, I have gone to every MC-UNH game at Whittemore. I loved the atmosphere and it is still great. The traditions like Two Step as they enter, the fish, etc. The rink is beautiful and the teams have always been fun to watch. Speed and skill, dating back to Bekar, Boginuki (sp?), Krog, Mowers, etc.

It is sad to see as many empty seats as there are now. I'd like to see every rink in Hockey East be sold out every night, but it's a shame that two of the best rinks to watch a game in, experience a college sports atmosphere (Alfond and Whittemore) no longer seem to be filled to capacity on a nightly basis like in late 90s/early 00s.

There was a man in Section 114 the other night who was out of control, yelling when no one else was at Brathwaite after MC scored their 2nd goal and even UNH fans around me were laughing at his immaturity. That is uncalled for. It's acceptable for college students to carry on like that, but when grown men do there is something sad.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Comment

Wow, UNHpuckfan. Seriously... Wow.

You must be so proud of your behavior. Calling a stupid line like "Does your wife know you're screwing us?" "MY classic" was my favorite part.

You admitted you dropped an F bomb BUT... you are always "very careful, while being vocal, to also be respectful." After all, your wife is an elementary school teacher! Since you mentioned the word "WE" in that sentence, does she also act like a nitwit? Or just you? It was respectful to the other fans, some with children, to use that language and berate the refs and belittle the opposing goaltender. Yep! Just like how you were respectful towards the referees and the opposing goalie? Absolutely! Good for you.

The atmosphere at the Whit can directly affect the team's energy... yet rather than cheer for the cats you prefer to berate the refs (apparently often with YOUR classic line!) and the opposing goalie. Yea, I'm sure the UNH players really got energized by that.

I'm just glad you're still out in the stands, fighting the good fight. You bought the ticket and that gives you the right to act like a twit, after all this is America!! Free speech!!!!!! Look at me everybody. I'm exercising my free speech!!!!
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X