• Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Video from the Mid-Week press conference courtesy of Inside Hockey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk-_bGzyZPQ

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      FYI - I saw this on the Warrior Hockey website. Tickets for UNH game limited.
      Yup, that arena can only hold ~3,000 people. Technically, THAT'S the limit.

C'mon guys, I thought we were better than that...
      A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
        Yup, that arena can only hold ~3,000 people. Technically, THAT'S the limit.

C'mon guys, I thought we were better than that...
        This rumor was posted by none other than our old friend Mike M, who has been begging for a Lawler Arena sellout as long as Merrimack has been in Hockey East. Just on the off chance he was right, I bought my tickets today for will call. If the game is a sellout, guaranteed there will be a million rugrats in hockey jerseys running around. Certainly won't be Merrimack students, most of whom have left for the weekend.

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/col...ory?id=4855945

Nice article with great insight on the D from Mr. McPherson here.
          GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

That was quite possibly the WORST officiated game this season. I expected better from a Gravallese crew.

That's all I have to say. Good night, and let's hope for a better tomorrow.
            A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

merrimack is now 9-1 at home and 0-11 on the road...hopefully the cats can capitalize on merrimacks difficulty playing road games.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                This rumor was posted by none other than our old friend Mike M, who has been begging for a Lawler Arena sellout as long as Merrimack has been in Hockey East. Just on the off chance he was right, I bought my tickets today for will call. If the game is a sellout, guaranteed there will be a million rugrats in hockey jerseys running around. Certainly won't be Merrimack students, most of whom have left for the weekend.
                Pretty full arena tonight, though not quite full. A decent number of students (for Merrimack), and, in fact, not many rugrats. They actually did have a capacity crowd earlier in the season against BU.

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                That was quite possibly the WORST officiated game this season. I expected better from a Gravallese crew.
                Yeah...not really. A couple of questionable calls, one of which I think might be clouding your perspective, but not the worst I've seen this year.
                Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by UNHHKYRKS View Post
                  merrimack is now 9-1 at home and 0-11 on the road...hopefully the cats can capitalize on merrimacks difficulty playing road games.
                  I think the large ice sheet will help UNH. Merrimack plays a very physical style that stifles a lot of what UNH does. I know this UNH team is more physical than in years past, but the still don't match up well against a team like this year's Merrimack squad on smaller ice (especially MC's tiny surface).

Also, not hitting three posts would help. They managed to hit both posts, and the crossbar, on three different shots. Wow, is that frustrating.
                  Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                  -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                    Yeah...not really. A couple of questionable calls, one of which I think might be clouding your perspective, but not the worst I've seen this year.
                    Yeah, I agree with you. There were a few close offsides calls that the linesmen seemed to screw up, but the penalty calls were fine. The last cross-checking penalty on Thompson was on the soft side, but I can definitely see why they called it.
                    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by UNHHKYRKS View Post
                      It shows you one thing, the parity in hockey east is amazing. In the past, a team like UNH could go to the Mack, play a mediocre game, get a few bad calls against them, maybe give up a bad goal or two, and still win 5-2. One game won't change my opinion that this team is at the top of the heap in HE this year.
                      Didn't see the game (was @ bu-umass), but i imagine a lot of things broke the mack's way. Maybe a bit of a wakeup call for your squad. How long has it been since you lost a HE game? November?
                      Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                        I think the large ice sheet will help UNH. Merrimack plays a very physical style that stifles a lot of what UNH does. I know this UNH team is more physical than in years past, but the still don't match up well against a team like this year's Merrimack squad on smaller ice (especially MC's tiny surface).

Also, not hitting three posts would help. They managed to hit both posts, and the crossbar, on three different shots. Wow, is that frustrating.
                        They hit a few pipes, but also got fortunate bounces on both of their goals.
                        I thought it was a pretty entertaining, fast paced hockey game. Merrimack plays a great game in their building.

MC also played very well at Wisconsin on the large ice sheet, lost 5-4 if I remember correctly.. I think tomorrow will be another fast paced game, hopefully UNH keeps them winless on the road.

Comment

What I found to be particularly annoying about tonight was how Merrimack was able to beat them by having a guy hang out past the points and hit them with the long break-out pass to generate a lot of odd-man rushes. As much as I despise cherry picking, Merrimack executed it well by not only getting those odd-man rushes, but also by taking away a pass option for UNH offensively by forcing one of the point men to drop back and cover the guy trying to cut behind them for the long pass.
                          The Hoser Blog: Possibly the greatest internet find....ever

Originally posted by unh_hockey
                          Unfortunately, all the accusations against Mr. Rougier are accurate. he's been indited twice on operating in illegal drug and gambling rings in Newark NJ, Tampa Fl, and even in Hong Kong. Caught twice by inter pol, he's somehow managed to escape and post evil rumors on a college hockey board. I have taken proper measures to contact the FBI.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHRouge5 View Post
                            What I found to be particularly annoying about tonight was how Merrimack was able to beat them by having a guy hang out past the points and hit them with the long break-out pass to generate a lot of odd-man rushes. As much as I despise cherry picking, Merrimack executed it well by not only getting those odd-man rushes, but also by taking away a pass option for UNH offensively by forcing one of the point men to drop back and cover the guy trying to cut behind them for the long pass.
                            Thats actually interesting to hear...

Mack has been pulling that crap for quite a few seasons now....and while I agree its extremely annoying.....I've never seen it actually pan out for them.

I wouldn't put too much stock into it as far as looking at tonight.....I'd call last night a blue moon. It is, afterall, the Mack.

Comment

Timely break out game for the second line tonight? Will need 2+ strong lines down the stretch. A win is a win.

Comment

Cats started out great tonight getting the lead at 1:33, and really taking it to the Mack for the first half of the period. UNH had 7 shots before MC had one. Then MC really came at UNH for the second half the first and just wouldn't quit. UNH didn't get their first PP until well into the third when Bigos got tossed for hitting Burke from behind. Burke was hurt on the play and I'm not sure if he returned. Speelman hurt his arm in the first period and to my knowledge didn't return for the remainder of the game. Nice to get the win in OT, because a tie would have been disastrous for the Cats. We made up our game in hand on BC, so a tie would have really sucked tonight. As it is we regained the 5 point lead atop HE with the win. UNH probably wins this game fairly handily if not for Braithwaite and the fact that MC is deadly on the PP (they went 2/4 tonight and are over 25% on the year). I was much happier with the Cats game tonight, then I was last night for sure.

Now it's onto Orono for two.
                                Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
                                2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Working...
                                X