X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Van Riemsdyk enticed by atmosphere, tradition at UNH

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...7/-1/FOSSPORTS

Nice to see TVR will be coming to Durham. With all due respect to Sean Tremblay, there have been many players over the years who changed the face of UNH hockey. If TVR is as good as he says he is then he will join a long list of great UNH players and we'll be happy to have him

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...4/-1/FOSSPORTS

GO CATS
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by PSW View Post
      I watch Sislo play and don’t think he is playing “HIS” game………something I think he thinks he’s DeSimone trying to make the cute pass….stick handling around. I see Sislo’s games as a straight forward game……shoot….crash the net…use physical strength to get to the net…
      Well PSW, Coach Umile has pretty much the same analysis of the Sislo Dilema.
      Excerpt from today's Concord Monitor article by Dave D’Onofrio:

"One player the Wildcats would love to get going is Sislo, the junior who led the team with 19 goals a year ago, and by this stage last year had struck 14 times. This year he's got six.
      'We've got to get him shooting more,' Umile said. 'We're trying to tell him to simplify his game. He's taking it one step too far. He's playing fine, but we need him to shoot more when he has opportunities to shoot because he's got a great shot, a great release, and that's what he does extremely well.' "

I hope you're both right and Sislo gets back to what he does best.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
        Ever notice how fans of teams with little to hope for or cheer about (e.g., the .500 RPI; the 4 win Providence Friars) have more lively threads on the Fan Forum than the #1 team in Hockey East?
        Well, UNH has only won 9 of their last 12 (9-1-2) and maintains a 3 point lead (w/ a game in hand) over BC, what do they have going for them?
        edit: oh, and 10t in the PWR as of right now....
        Last edited by Gibber; 01-22-2010, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
          Well, UNH has only won 9 of their last 12 (9-1-2) and maintains a 3 point lead (w/ a game in hand) over BC, what do they have going for them?
          Plenty to cheer about, little to gripe about
          What was tonight's game like?
          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Plenty to cheer about, little to gripe about
            What was tonight's game like?
            I didn't get a chance to listen (or attend), hopefully someone can chime in with some insight. Tomorrow's game should be great against a resurgent BU team. Should be there for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
              Exactly!! Things can change quickly.. just read Hendrickson's piece today.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...Jan212010.html
              GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Just got home from Providence. Cats came out strong and controlled much of the first. They were getting a lot of shots on net from the point with guys crashing for rebounds. Beaudry was strong though and doing an excellent job of controlling those shots. I was surprised it was only 2-0 in the second when Providence scored. Their tying goal was a bit of a softy as the shot came from the outside of the circle with the shooter using the UNH d-man as a screen. Desimone's winner came off of a great individual effort from Butler. He beat his guy wide and hit Desimone streaking down the right side for a one-timer. For most of the night, I thought the Speelman-Borisenok-Moses line was the best line for UNH. They obviously bring a lot of speed to the table, and they were finding each other all over the ice. Borisenok's goal was a beautiful tic-tac-toe passing play giving him a wide open net to shoot at. Gotta give credit to Providence for a great effort especially after going down two goals. Two more big points for the Cats and Saturday should be a tough challenge against a BU team that just knocked off BC in ot.
                "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Nice.. toss the records out.. Two teams coming off of OT wins going into tomorrow night!!
                  GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                    Just got home from Providence. Cats came out strong and controlled much of the first. They were getting a lot of shots on net from the point with guys crashing for rebounds. Beaudry was strong though and doing an excellent job of controlling those shots. I was surprised it was only 2-0 in the second when Providence scored. Their tying goal was a bit of a softy as the shot came from the outside of the circle with the shooter using the UNH d-man as a screen. Desimone's winner came off of a great individual effort from Butler. He beat his guy wide and hit Desimone streaking down the right side for a one-timer. For most of the night, I thought the Speelman-Borisenok-Moses line was the best line for UNH. They obviously bring a lot of speed to the table, and they were finding each other all over the ice. Borisenok's goal was a beautiful tic-tac-toe passing play giving him a wide open net to shoot at. Gotta give credit to Providence for a great effort especially after going down two goals. Two more big points for the Cats and Saturday should be a tough challenge against a BU team that just knocked off BC in ot.
                    Friday night trips to Providence can be a bear so last night I listened to most of the game on the radio. I hear Dan Parkhurst infrequently but I must say that he does a great job. Stays on top of the action, gives you (at least me) the right voice inflection depending on the intensity of the action. And very descriptive. He and Pete do a good job.

As for the game, it sounded as though it took UNH a bit of time to get going in the first, but started to take control in the last 7-8 minutes before Thompson scored his goal. Their advantage continued halfway through the second when PC scored two to tie it up. It seemed to be only a matter of time before UNH would win it in the third. It took to OT on an apparently nifty assist by Butler, but they got the win. Providence is never an easy place to play, so its a good two points.

I was also watching the BU-BC game at the same time. The game was wide open, lots of chances for both teams. Some great goaltending, some poor end zone defense. BU was flying, so I think tonight we'll see a tremendous college hockey game. As long as UNH stays out of the penalty box and they get some good goaltending from Foster, they can win. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      As long as UNH stays out of the penalty box and they get some good goaltending from Foster, they can win. Looking forward to it.
                      UNH did a great job in both departments last night. Providence only had a power play and a half, and there were so few whistles that the game would have taken less than two hours if it hadn't have gone into OT. As far as goaltending, Foster made a number of key stops late in the third and in OT. He made one particularly sharp kick save in OT, steering it right into the corner where his d-men was able to corral it and start a rush the other way. I agree, Greg. Tonight should be a great game.
                      "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        Nice to see TVR will be coming to Durham.
                        Hopefully his team defense and effort are better than that of his older brother. Although I'm sure Mike Sislo would like to have JvR back . . .
                        I haven't been on here in a year...
                        Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                          Hopefully his team defense and effort are better than that of his older brother. Although I'm sure Mike Sislo would like to have JvR back . . .
                          If Trevor comes to Durham and is easily the best player on the team his freshman and sophomore year including carrying a very mediocre team to within 15 seconds of a frozen four, I won't complain too much .

Comment

Ever notice how fans of teams with little to hope for or cheer about (e.g., the .500 RPI; the 4 win Providence Friars) have more lively threads on the Fan Forum than the #1 team in Hockey East?
                            Agreed, BU, BC, ME etc have won natl championships and get the job done. UNH is basking in the glory of being in first in their conference in January with all those national championship banners above the rink

Comment

Yawn. Wake me up when you come up with something original

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                                Agreed, BU, BC, ME etc have won natl championships and get the job done. UNH is basking in the glory of being in first in their conference in January with all those national championship banners above the rink
                                Really?? How laughable.... My God... dragging up all that old drivel. Seasons past, hoky... no one cares. The here and now are what are within all teams' control. All the past stuff is water under the bridge.
                                Last edited by Malts18; 01-23-2010, 11:16 AM.
                                Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                                ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                                Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                                Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                                Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                                NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Working...
                                X