This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

So I guess its prediction time already?!?!?! Where did the summer go, oh yeah job hunting

I think many of us are kidding ourselves if its another season with a home quarterfinal, UVM, BU and UML certainly look stronger than the Cats on paper this season (mainly due to defensive and goalie play, which is a huge hole for this year's Wildcat Team) BC is the real wild card in the league as Muse's play is very inconsistent at best. UNH is going to have to scrap their way through the season and claw out tough road games (two @ BU, two @ Maine, two @ Wisconsin)

I really see this team 4-6 in Hockey East and looking toward retooling in the future. A couple of streaks will be in serious jeopardy this season, 20 win seasons, HEA host for the quarterfinals, no NCAA birth since 2001...
    UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Originally posted by Bag-Oh-Donuts View Post
      Um, so what you are saying is, before last year, he had not passed the test (for you)? Going into his 19th season behind the bench, after all those all those 20 win seasons and NCAA appearances (albeit no NC)?
      If you have ever ready any of his posts (or this one for that matter) you would know that is not what he is saying at all. I don't think I am out of line saying without doubt he supports Umile (am I Greg?).
      GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
        Hey Dean, good to see you around here again! Have you guys decided yet if you're coming out for a weekend?
        I'm not sure what Chad and the other's plans are, but I won't be coming out this year. My parents bought a place in Phoenix and it's always been a dream of mine to go to Spring Training. I can't afford to do both, so this year I will be doing that instead. I'll be back and raring to go in 2011 though, so keep my seat warm . Think I can convince the Phillies to join the Cactus League for 2010?
        Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
        2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
          It's ok. Last time that happened the Canadian players were nice and wiped the glass for me so I could see.
          We're very clean people you know
          Let's go Cats!!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
            A ton of guys from the O and the Q on this team. UNH hasn't had the best record against exhibition teams in the past 3 years either.
            They smoked Acadia 7-3 or 7-4 last year. Expect more of the same this year.
            Let's go Cats!!!

Comment

JVR makes Philly roster to start 09-10 NHL Season
              http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...128&feedID=704
              The Hoser Blog: Possibly the greatest internet find....ever

Originally posted by unh_hockey
              Unfortunately, all the accusations against Mr. Rougier are accurate. he's been indited twice on operating in illegal drug and gambling rings in Newark NJ, Tampa Fl, and even in Hong Kong. Caught twice by inter pol, he's somehow managed to escape and post evil rumors on a college hockey board. I have taken proper measures to contact the FBI.

Comment

It's almost as if you can make the NHL if you already have the talent going into college. But college helps your maturity and general worldliness more than grinding it out on long bus rides and nothing more.

Going into training camp, the odds greatly favored that van Riemsdyk would start the season and get “toughened up” in the AHL. It’s not every day American collegians come out of school right into the NHL.

Even terrific junior players like Claude Giroux, who went to the Phantoms last fall, often benefit from playing there first.

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren was vocal last spring that he wanted van Riemsdyk to leave school and begin his career now. Truth is, the Flyers would have preferred van Riemsdyk leaving school a year earlier.

Now that he’s on the roster, you have to wonder whether van Riemsdyk’s decision to stay in school through his sophomore year was validated.

“It definitely puts more credibility into that decision,” he said. “There are so many different roads you can take. Who knows if I would have been in the same position last year had I left early.

Obviously, me going back to school didn’t hurt my chance being here. It’s nice to kind of prove that and prove you have confidence in yourself the whole way and your plan worked out in the end.”

He will still have two years left at New Hampshire to earn a degree.
                from the article
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 09-30-2009, 02:40 PM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  When?
                  Some years that come to mind are 06/07 when they were picked fourth. Then you will say, "we'll, they lost in the first round of the NCAA's, that was not better then expected. The 06/07 team overperformed, won the hockey east regular season title, lost in the hockey east final game, and were a 1 seed in the NCAA's. And if you strictly base it on the NCAA's, well then umile had the team overperform just last year.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHRouge5 View Post
                    JVR makes Philly roster to start 09-10 NHL Season
                    http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...128&feedID=704
                    That's excellent. Maybe he should have stayed another year or two. Seems like a nice kid and all, but can't wait to see Lucic paste him.
                    AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Originally posted by Mowers10 View Post
                      That's excellent. Maybe he should have stayed another year or two. Seems like a nice kid and all, but can't wait to see Lucic paste him.
                      i hope that he stays on the roster for the winter classic game, it would be awesome to see him play.

Comment

His lack of a real physical aspect in his game is why I think starting him in the ahl to "toughen him up" as the article described was a better option. No doubt he has the playmaking skill to make a splash in Philly, but against some of the tougher and more aggressive foes, he may struggle.

And I'm wondering how much his habits of chirping on the ice will get him in trouble.
                        The Hoser Blog: Possibly the greatest internet find....ever

Originally posted by unh_hockey
                        Unfortunately, all the accusations against Mr. Rougier are accurate. he's been indited twice on operating in illegal drug and gambling rings in Newark NJ, Tampa Fl, and even in Hong Kong. Caught twice by inter pol, he's somehow managed to escape and post evil rumors on a college hockey board. I have taken proper measures to contact the FBI.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHRouge5 View Post
                          His lack of a real physical aspect in his game is why I think starting him in the ahl to "toughen him up" as the article described was a better option. No doubt he has the playmaking skill to make a splash in Philly, but against some of the tougher and more aggressive foes, he may struggle.

And I'm wondering how much his habits of chirping on the ice will get him in trouble.
                          ALL of the chirping I saw from him at UNH was in retaliation to guys coming at him first. Coming into college as the #2 overall draft pick, it was understandable that he would be a marked man. This year though, I expect he'll be just another rookie trying to find himself in the NHL. Might take him a while to get comfortable, but he will. He put on more weight in the offseason, and this will definitely help him with the physical play. And we all know the Flyers have their share of guys willing to drop the gloves, so that's not exactly going to be his role there.
                          "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                            ALL of the chirping I saw from him at UNH was in retaliation to guys coming at him first. Coming into college as the #2 overall draft pick, it was understandable that he would be a marked man. This year though, I expect he'll be just another rookie trying to find himself in the NHL. Might take him a while to get comfortable, but he will. He put on more weight in the offseason, and this will definitely help him with the physical play. And we all know the Flyers have their share of guys willing to drop the gloves, so that's not exactly going to be his role there.
                            Why are we concerned with the past??? This year's edition of the Wildcats has no JVR...
                            UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
                              Why are we concerned with the past??? This year's edition of the Wildcats has no JVR...
                              I wasn't the one who brought JVR up. The past is the past though, and here's hoping he has a long and successful pro career. That said, here are the lines I like the most and expect to see Saturday night:
                              Butler-Leblanc-Henrion(yes, the freshman)
                              Moses-Desimone-Sislo
                              Burke-Block-Thompson
                              Speelman-Borisenok-McCarey
                              Manz-_________-Pavelski

Obviously it's an exhibition so lines will be juggled and the reserves will get time, but I really like those first two lines.
                              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
                                Some years that come to mind are 06/07 when they were picked fourth. Then you will say, "we'll, they lost in the first round of the NCAA's, that was not better then expected. The 06/07 team overperformed, won the hockey east regular season title, lost in the hockey east final game, and were a 1 seed in the NCAA's. And if you strictly base it on the NCAA's, well then umile had the team overperform just last year.
                                That 06-07 team was helped by getting a MONSTER sophomore year out of Trevor Smith, who would end up bolting for the AHL (where he's stayed) after losing to Miami in the NCAA's (in Manchester).

Now, I say to myself, who on this team is ready to have a year like Smith did in 06-07? There are a lot of names that stick out.

1. Mike Sislo - Could say last year was his "Coming out year" and it certainly helped playing on JVR's line. However, I think he's actually a very talented scorer, and if he and Butler play on the same line, they could put a lot of pucks in the net.

2. Steve Moses - I don't know what it was about this kid, but he always seemed to hustle his way into plays last year. That pays off, since hustle tends to create opportunities.

3. Mike Borisenok - Didn't play much in the second half of last year, but the kid has talent. Give him a full season, and he might surprise.

4. Paul Thompson - I'll admit, I'm a homer on this call. He's from my hometown. But I still remember the first half of his freshman season, where it seemed like he was trying to prove that he belonged, and ended up scoring a boatload of goals before dropping off the radar. He has something to prove again, and if he keeps grinding and fighting down low, he'll get chances to put the puck in the net again.

Those are my guys to watch for this season. I think if any, or preferably all of them, have breakout years, then UNH could be a serious contender.
                                A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X