X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
    Maine last year???
    And it took them two periods to shake the rust off, and had to come from behind to win. Were Maine any better last year, UNH would have lost that game, too.

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
    IMO this has been a year of redemption for Coach Umile and his staff. He has taken a very young, inexperienced team and gotten them to correct chronic mistakes made by previous, more talented teams. Two areas of improvement stand out - team defense and aggressive/consistent hustle.

Let's give Coach Umile credit where credit is due.
    We're only halfway through the year. Yes, the team showed improvement towards the end of the first half, it's how they do as the second half winds up (including the playoffs) that will determine how well Coach has done this season. At this point, we can't say much.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
    -Fred Shero

Comment

I guess I'll be the first to post on last night's game. The Wildcats were very lucky to get a point out of this game. Was it a tell tale sign of things to come when the kid throwing the fish after Kipp's goal had to throw it twice before it got over the glass? Kipp's dribbler, DeSimone's 5-on-3 PPG, plus some big time goaltending by Foster (how was he not first star?) seemed to be all UNH had going for them. Lowell had an overwhelming territorial edge throughout the game but thanks to some poor shooting by them and some saves by Foster, UNH escaped.

I'd like to think that the "atmosphere" at the Whit last night (was it ever more morgue like?) had something to do with it, but bottom line this was second straight poor effort at home. Last night the boys seemed to be running around too much, trying to do too much by themselves (DeSimone, LeBlanc, Kessel), and getting way from the concept that had them playing good hockey before the break. I'm not in panic mode, but with their out of conference record, UNH is walking a very fine line to the NCAA tournament. If their play continues as it has the last two games, they are going to be in big time trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        I'd like to think that the "atmosphere" at the Whit last night (was it ever more morgue like?) had something to do with it, but bottom line this was second straight poor effort at home. Last night the boys seemed to be running around too much, trying to do too much by themselves (DeSimone, LeBlanc, Kessel), and getting way from the concept that had them playing good hockey before the break. I'm not in panic mode, but with their out of conference record, UNH is walking a very fine line to the NCAA tournament. If their play continues as it has the last two games, they are going to be in big time trouble.
        Or it might have something to do with no students there at all. I was disgusted at how when the buzzer sounded no one clapped for the team at all. There was about 20 people in the entire arena. That's just being a poor fan.
        UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
          The equipment manager will be fired if they don't!!! He's only had 3 weeks to get the bleach out.

In all seriousness, hopefully the Cats got the oil can out and knocked the rust out of their game. They really did look like a team that hadn't played in a month against Cornell.

Lowell continues rolling along this season, with many good wins and a couple of hiccups along the way (sound familiar?) UMass is in the middle of a midseason swoon with them going 2-5 in the last 7 games, including a 7-3 drubbing at Agganis.

This series sets up well for UNH to get back into the swing of playing hockey on a weekly basis. Both games are very winnable and provide quality competition that have had recent success against UNH. Should be a good weekend!

Prediction 2-2 tie with Lowell and a 3-2 win against Amherst! 3 points for the Cats!!!
          Nice call in game 1.........Hope you're as accurate in game 2
          Last edited by CatMan UNH; 01-09-2010, 09:02 AM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

The crowd at the end of the game last night was borderline offensive. Cheer for your * team, people! Even just a polite round of applause. They may not have played well, but they did come back and tie. How about a little appreciation for the effort? Pretty sure the crowd was louder after the far worse game against Cornell.

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            I guess I'll be the first to post on last night's game. The Wildcats were very lucky to get a point out of this game. Was it a tell tale sign of things to come when the kid throwing the fish after Kipp's goal had to throw it twice before it got over the glass? Kipp's dribbler, DeSimone's 5-on-3 PPG, plus some big time goaltending by Foster (how was he not first star?) seemed to be all UNH had going for them. Lowell had an overwhelming territorial edge throughout the game but thanks to some poor shooting by them and some saves by Foster, UNH escaped.
            While I agree that Lowell had the territorial edge, UNH had a number of great chances robbed by Hamilton, as well. At least three shorthanded breaks (maybe more - there were two on one PK), and a flurry in the third where Leblanc was sure he'd scored, but Hamilton flashed his leg out at the last moment.

EDIT: Also, DeSimone's goal wasn't on the 5-on-3, it was during the 5-minute major.

And, I thought the defense played pretty well in front of the net last night, clearing pucks and not letting UML get too many chances from in close. One of the big saves in the second was actually Mike Beck, not Foster.

UNH had stretches where they played well, but didn't sustain it very well, and seemed to have trouble handling pucks (most glaring evidence being Kessel missing that pass when he was WIDE OPEN at the point in the third). In general, they looked pretty much like they did at the beginning of the season. I don't like seeing that regression, but hopefully they can replicate the improvement we saw as the first half progressed.
            Last edited by thecomicbookguy; 01-09-2010, 09:47 AM.
            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
            -Fred Shero

Comment

Seems like there was something going on between Umile and MacDonald after the game ... Don't know what the cause could have been. Then Lassonde got into something with a Lowell player.. Just curious.

Comment

Last night was an improvement from Cornell and from period to period. Hoping tonight we get back to pre-break form, especially Bobby Butler.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Missed the mens game last night, as we went down to Fenway, where the women's team launched a phenomenal come-back to win in the third period, after being down by two goals.

Apparently it was the most impressive UNH hockey played so far in 2010.
                  Go Cats
                  Former HEA Champions

Comment

Scoring a bunch of goals is a lot of fun! Cats' looked good tonight.
                    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

I like Pete LeBlanc, but we're now going on 2 straight games with him celebrating a goal before it goes in. C'mon Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by unhcats99 View Post
                        I like Pete LeBlanc, but we're now going on 2 straight games with him celebrating a goal before it goes in. C'mon Pete.
                        oh the horror
                        Last edited by Gibber; 01-09-2010, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unhcats99 View Post
                          Actually, I kinda thought his arms went up as a result of the contact and trying to avoid Meyers as he went through the crease. The puck pretty clearly didn't go in. Last night, it wasn't so clear.

Good game from the 'Cats tonight, especially from Foster. He's looked really good this weekend. And, I will admit, I've like what I've seen from Kipp lately. I don't know if the players he was up against were slow, but his speed has surprised me. He got beat at one point tonight, and hustled back to break up the 2-on-1 that nearly resulted.
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                            ...hopefully they can replicate the improvement we saw as the first half progressed.
                            Originally posted by Darius View Post
                            Last night was an improvement from Cornell and from period to period. Hoping tonight we get back to pre-break form, especially Bobby Butler.
                            Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                            Scoring a bunch of goals is a lot of fun! Cats' looked good tonight.
                            Definitely moving in the right direction
                            Butler was sniping for a hat trick tonight.
                            The passes were crisp across all four lines.
                            The D and back-checking forwards looked very good defending in their own zone. Winning one-on-one battles for the puck, no running around and moving smartly out of the zone. Krates looked much more at ease and was more effective than against Cornell.

I was very pleased to see Burke back on left-wing with LeBlanc and Sislo and almost euphoric about Moses being back on right-wing with Borisenok and Speelman. The speed on that line is almost illegal. Was McCarey's goal impressive or what?

The Cats pretty much destroyed the #16 team in the country and grabbed 3 points against two nationally-ranked teams. Good for the ratings and Hockey East standings. A thoroughly enjoyable evening.
                            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                              The Cats pretty much destroyed the #16 team in the country...
                              I can't believe that team is ranked that high. They looked downright awful at times.
                              -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                                I can't believe that team is ranked that high. They looked downright awful at times.
                                They won't be there come Monday... 2-6 in the last 8 with complete drubbings at the hands of UNH and BU in their last two games.

Still a good weekend for the Cats, grabbing 3 out of a possible 4, with the trip to the Manchester house of horrors coming up next weekend... Maybe they can actually win an OOC game this year!!!
                                UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Working...
                                X