This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Sooooo, no one is interested in the game tonight? Awesome! Follow the trail of apathy to the Coffin tonight...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      "...sophomore Matt DiGirolamo in goal tonight..."

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...5-70c6441696bc
      Good to see Matt step up tonight for his first win; I only caught the last period on the radio after getting out of class, but sounded like a really good game. Cats have clawed their way to 15th in the PWR, facing three teams ahead of them to begin the new year. Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Good to see Matt step up tonight for his first win; I only caught the last period on the radio after getting out of class, but sounded like a really good game. Cats have clawed their way to 15th in the PWR, facing three teams ahead of them to begin the new year. Go Cats!
        UNH got outshot tonight, and badly in the third period. Sounds as though opportunistic goals by DeSimone (from Moses) on the shorthand, Butler with 59 seconds left in the second, and Butler with a dagger goal late in the third, PLUS some big time saves from DiGirolamo, saved the day. Great way to go into the break. Just hope they don't lose their edge before the Cornell game.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          UNH got outshot tonight, and badly in the third period. Sounds as though opportunistic goals by DeSimone (from Moses) on the shorthand, Butler with 59 seconds left in the second, and Butler with a dagger goal late in the third, PLUS some big time saves from DiGirolamo, saved the day. Great way to go into the break. Just hope they don't lose their edge before the Cornell game.
          PC was the much better team tonight in the first and third periods. UNH got some interesting goals in the second period and some breaks with goals by PC waved off by the officials.

The gap between PC and UNH is not that far at all.
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Actually, looks like the gap is about 13 points, at the break.

Interestingly enough, Cornell is ranked in the Top 10 in the USA Today poll, but PWR, which has been the most accurate predictor of the field the last 4-5yrs at least, has Cornell at 18. Both the Coaches poll and the USA Today poll have them at 5. Quite the contrast.
            Last edited by i'zonprize; 12-12-2009, 08:54 AM.
            GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
              Actually, looks like the gap is about 13 points, at the break.

Interestingly enough, Cornell is ranked in the Top 10 in the USA Today pole, but PWR, which has been the most accurate predictor of the field the last 4-5yrs at least, has Cornell at 18. Both the Coaches poll and the USA Today poll have them at 5. Quite the contrast.
              The gap in talent...typical UNH fan!!!

UNH needs a goalie bad b/c the kid that was in net tonight wasn't good at all and was lucky he didn't give up 5-6 goals. Some very interesting decisions tonight by the officials that waved off a PC goal when a UNH player knocked a PC player into the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post

UNH needs a goalie bad b/c the kid that was in net tonight wasn't good at all and was lucky he didn't give up 5-6 goals. Some very interesting decisions tonight by the officials that waved off a PC goal when a UNH player knocked a PC player into the goalie.
                Typical UNH fan? I love when anyone pulls that out. You're obviously not a 'typical' Frirs fan, since you were (presumably) sober enough to type that up last night..

Strangely, UNH's 'not good at all' goalie was their back up who hadn't started a game all year, and still outdueled Beaudry (who is a very solid goaltender).

There were no 'interesting' decisions, there were correct decisions (including allowing the goal in the third to make it 4-3), with hockey east getting video replay its helpful to see.

UNH figured a way around PC's boring trap in the 2nd period, and, as they have done most of the year, dominated the 2nd period (I believe they've scored 30 2nd period goals, and 28 in the first and 3rd combined) and forced PC to have to open it up. PC, to give them credit played hard in the third period, and had UNH on their heels a bit, but Dig's actually stood tall and made some great saves. The 2nd period showed the talent gap b/w these two teams, as PC was forced to take a lot of penalties, not being able to keep up with UNH's speedy forwards (only BC, if anyone, has a faster team up front in hockey east). If UNH's power play weren't so mediocre, the game would have been put away in the 2nd period, but PC played a great 3rd period, and came close to tying it.

Good luck to PC the rest of the way, but, as was said, with UNH still improving, and being a very young team, they are still 13 points ahead of PC (and have a road win in hand in a traditionally tough place for them to play).

Comment

Zlax.. so if UNH needs a goalie, because UNH's back-up, who hasn't played more than 20 minutes for more than a yr, gave up 3 goals and PC's starter gave up 4...on 7 fewer shots.. hmm? Talent gap perhaps?

Anyway.. when PC does play well, they are a real wildcard in HE. Mr. Army had a great reputation coming in, but team consistency has been inconsistent. Hot, cold etc.. as a fan of PC, what do you attribute that too? Talent gap?
                  Last edited by i'zonprize; 12-12-2009, 02:26 PM.
                  GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                    Sooooo, no one is interested in the game tonight? Awesome! Follow the trail of apathy to the Coffin tonight...
                    Not so quick, Jon....
                    Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                    ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                    Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                    Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                    Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                    NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

PC was the much better team tonight in the first and third periods. UNH got some interesting goals in the second period and some breaks with goals by PC waved off by the officials.

Goals plural? I recall one... and it was a legit "man in the crease" call.
                      Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                      ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                      Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                      Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                      Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                      NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

So, UNH didn't earn the win?? Those gosh-darn refs ruined it? Count your lucky stars that the UNH PP had a crappy night or the final score would have been worse. Glad to see that the goons are back in full force at PC.
                        sigpicSouthern New Hampshire University '95

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        On a side note, when I found this video I also found some highlights of CC smoking BC in St. Louis. It was even worse than I remember. My God what an abortion that night was. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                          PC, to give them credit played hard in the third period, and had UNH on their heels a bit, but Dig's actually stood tall and made some great saves. The 2nd period showed the talent gap b/w these two teams, as PC was forced to take a lot of penalties, not being able to keep up with UNH's speedy forwards (only BC, if anyone, has a faster team up front in hockey east). If UNH's power play weren't so mediocre, the game would have been put away in the 2nd period, but PC played a great 3rd period, and came close to tying it.
                          Watching in person, I thought the third period was more a matter of UNH easing up than of PC playing harder. After PC's second goal, UNH turned it on again, scored to make it a two goal lead. Of course, then they went back into coasting mode...
                          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Mosrite View Post
                            So, UNH didn't earn the win?? Those gosh-darn refs ruined it? Count your lucky stars that the UNH PP had a crappy night or the final score would have been worse. Glad to see that the goons are back in full force at PC.
                            I'm amazed you're defending the refs after the insanely awful calls they made against the Kitties all night. There were at least two where a PC player dove and the twin idiots never picked up on it. They didn't do the SMT's any favors last night, trust me.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                            -Blackadder
                            "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                            -Casablanca
                            "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

You guys do know I am a UNH grad right???

What has happened to all the UNH fans that would travel with them. I might have seen 20 fans of the Kitties last night at the game.

Comment

You guys do know I am a UNH grad right???

What has happened to all the UNH fans that would travel with them. I might have seen 20 fans of the Kitties last night at the game.
                                University of New Haven?

Trying to get from NH to PC on a Friday night? Tough drive.
                                The Chicago Blackhawks - your 2009-2010 Stanley Cup Champions!!

Comment

Working...
                                X