X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
    Hmmm....I was in LA a couple of weeks ago and got tix to a Dodger game. They mailed them to me free of charge. Of course they charged me $10,965 in convenience and administrative fees, but they picked up the 96 cent stamp .

One more week till the ex game. Wow, that summer just flew by. Oh well, college hockey is back and I'm smiling again . Can't wait to see you on the SU board.

Dean
    Hey Dean, good to see you around here again! Have you guys decided yet if you're coming out for a weekend?
    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

RockTheWhit.......you've misquoted. Please edit.

Thanks.
      AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post

I re-read your post and came away with the impression that you not enamored with team's prospects and that you take a dim view of what Umile can do with this bunch. Maybe I'm wrong and, if so, I apologize. My response to you had nothing to do with how you view the team, but how you view the coach, who has been quite successful over the past 19 years. Really, I've never understood why he doesn't get more respect (the Rodney Dangerfield thing I guess) from UNH fandom. The attitude seems to be that he can win when has the horses but that he will never elevate a team beyond their perceived talent level.
        You can re read my 6000+ posts and find very few criticisms of Coach Umile. The biggest issue I have with him is his loyalty to the older guys on the team when the younger ones are outperforming them or should get getting ice to make the team better going forward. I'm not ready to concede home ice in HE, but don't remember a year with as many question marks going into it as this year. The team is one of the least experienced on D we have had in a while, and doesn't have the Haydars, Hemingways, Winniks, Radjas, etc, that we could count on for offense.

This is essentially all I was saying. I'm looking forward to continued development, and to see what the freshmen have to offer.
        AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Hmmm....I was in LA a couple of weeks ago and got tix to a Dodger game. They mailed them to me free of charge. Of course they charged me $10,965 in convenience and administrative fees, but they picked up the 96 cent stamp .

One more week till the ex game. Wow, that summer just flew by. Oh well, college hockey is back and I'm smiling again . Can't wait to see you on the SU board.

Dean
          I won't be on the SU board. Hopefully this is the season that I make them all.
          UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Geez, aren't Hockey East and USCHO cutting it a little close with the preseason predictions this season? I usually use that as my timer for getting back into the swing of things.

I was looking at the rosters a couple weeks ago and had all the same concerns as everyone else. But apart from BU is there any other team that we are pretty much certain to finish behind in the league? I'm just asking, I certainly don't know....

I'll consider it par for the course to keep the home ice streak alive, NOT lose in the quarters, and win an NCAA game if we're in Worcester and not the 4 seed (only circumstances I could expect an NCAA win at this early point).
            PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
              Geez, aren't Hockey East and USCHO cutting it a little close with the preseason predictions this season? I usually use that as my timer for getting back into the swing of things.

I was looking at the rosters a couple weeks ago and had all the same concerns as everyone else. But apart from BU is there any other team that we are pretty much certain to finish behind in the league? I'm just asking, I certainly don't know....

I'll consider it par for the course to keep the home ice streak alive, NOT lose in the quarters, and win an NCAA game if we're in Worcester and not the 4 seed (only circumstances I could expect an NCAA win at this early point).
              Lowell returns just about everybody from a team that finished the year quite strongly, so a lot of fans are very high on their chances in HE.
              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

I believe the Hockey East media day is Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                  I believe the Hockey East media day is Wednesday.
                  It is.
                  Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

It's game week in Durham! I'm looking forward to seeing this year's Cats on the ice in a semi-competitive setting. While it is an exhibition, Acadia has some good players on its roster, including Andrew Clark who scored 40 goals for the Brandon Wheat Kings in the WHL last season. I hope to see the usual scrappyness we've come to expect from these Canadian exhibitions.
                    I've spent a decent amount of time at the Whitt the last few weeks and the ice surface has been very foggy, with the glass holding heavy condensation. Hopefully that will not be a problem on Saturday. The forecast calls for a drop in temperature, so that should help.

Comment

A ton of guys from the O and the Q on this team. UNH hasn't had the best record against exhibition teams in the past 3 years either.
                      "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                        I've spent a decent amount of time at the Whitt the last few weeks and the ice surface has been very foggy, with the glass holding heavy condensation. Hopefully that will not be a problem on Saturday. The forecast calls for a drop in temperature, so that should help.
                        It's ok. Last time that happened the Canadian players were nice and wiped the glass for me so I could see.
                        UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

I think that HE home ice is probable, as are trips to the Garden and the NCAA regionals, IF Foster stays healthy the entire season. I also have more confidence in Butler and LeBlanc this year than the senior leadership the past two seasons, which pleasantly surprised me last year at the NCAA's, but obviously disappointed me the year before. Hoping that home ice helps against Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            Geez, so going into his 20th season behind the bench Umile will finally be tested on his ability to coach? I guess all those 20 win seasons, NCAA appearances (albeit no NC), don't count for much, eh? Personally I thought he passed the test last year...
                            Um, so what you are saying is, before last year, he had not passed the test (for you)? Going into his 19th season behind the bench, after all those all those 20 win seasons and NCAA appearances (albeit no NC)?

UNH fans were thrilled by the 2009 NCAAs both for the outstanding effort and because the effort was perceived to have far exceeded that of past teams (eg, in the 2008 NCAAs). Momentum, something to build on, a positive trend, thanks to all the players for leaving everything on the ice...these terms apply but, if it took 18 seasons for you, don't be surprised that not everone was converted based on two games at the end of the 19th.

Comment

Dean
                              I'll be on the board more this year (with the exception of this Saturday and 10/16 when I actually get to go)! It's going to be hard not being at every game (after 16+ years of season tickets) but hanging out with all of you on the board will make it a little bit easier
                              Rule #7 says don't touch the women but we can grab whatever we want to

Comment

Have to say I don't think my expectations are as high this year as years past, but my enthusiasm for the year might be higher then in years past. Maybe the lack of expectations is not a half bad thing. Nothing wrong with flying under the radar to begin with is a good thing. With a younger team will give time for the team to gel and find its own identity. Seems like that the last couple of years the team might have been trying to live up to some identity and not letting them decide it. Do have a feeling this years team will work harder then in years past, and will be fun to watch. Have to say the taste the team left in my mouth after last year was better then in years past, still encouraged with they way they played in Manchester, and hoping to see that same effort this year. The schedule is a tough one this year, but end up being helpful at the end of the year. I know its only an exhibition game Saturday, but I am looking forward to seeing the puck drop on another season.

Comment

Working...
                                X