X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Originally posted by LimeyCat View Post
    Just checking in before Chad, Matt and myself head to Durham in February for the Northeastern series. It's good to see the team making good progress. Last month I wasn't sure if we'd be watching a really poor UNH team but good things seem to be happening! Fingers crossed the trend continues! Enjoy the hockey dudes.
    Tobes... similar thoughts from me. I really was not sure what we had on our hands with this team. I don't think I was more disillusioned than after the back-to-back beatdowns by Wisco this year. Not even competitive.

I do think the turnaround started during the UMass weekend. It would not have been hard to fault the team for not getting up to play the second game after the crushing defeat in the Friday game (tying goal scored by UMass with 11 seconds left and then losing it on another UMass goal OT). What did the Cats do?? They sacked up and won a huge game, 4-2, and basically save the season. Since then, this has been a seemingly different team.

You guys -- Darci, Matt, Gib, George, Al, CHC, et al -- see this team every game. I, and other out-of-staters, have only a few TV games to see them and the rest are through radio, so it is hard to gauge how we are REALLY playing. Scores and shots can be very misleading. So it is always helpful to read the threads and talk to you guys.

Very much looking forward to the game today (on ESPNU) and also really pumped about the trip out there at the end of Feb for the Northeastern series!! GO CATS!!
    Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
    ECAC Tourney Champs 79
    Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
    Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
    Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
    NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by UNHRouge5 View Post
      Considering how many times they gave each other the "why the hell did you call that" look, I'm not entirely sure they knew what icing was at times.
      I'll tell you what the refs didn't have a clue on was the definition of a covered puck. Three times that I saw very clearly they blew the whistle when Hutton was not in control of the rubber. I'm all for protecting the goalie, especially when they are prone on the ice, but when I can see the loose puck from the other end of the ice, the ref needs to put himself in better position. It was very frustrating, because we lost excellent scoring opportunities on all three of the questionable whistles.

Excellent effort overall. The wife and I are very much looking forward to "townie (as we affectionately call him)" to score his first goal -- thought he was going to score the game winner, but it was a great, heads up pass to Kessel. Self-less play from a rookie, gotta love it!

It's time for a new computer -- can't listen online, because my computer won't run the player . . .
      I haven't been on here in a year...
      Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
        Excellent effort overall. The wife and I are very much looking forward to "townie (as we affectionately call him)" to score his first goal -- thought he was going to score the game winner, but it was a great, heads up pass to Kessel. Self-less play from a rookie, gotta love it!
        well there you go, nice corner pick through a screen over spillanes glove at UVM in his next game.

Comment

# 15 in the current PWR. Nice weekend!
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I only saw the first and third periods, but this team definitely is playing better than they were earlier in the year. A much more cohesive effort.. everyone hustling...and the D stepping up nicely. Really good stuff this weekend vs a tough UML team and a dicey UVM team at a tough building (the Gutt). 4 out of 4 stars this weekend, gentlemen. Kudos!
            Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

UNH Wildcats
            ECAC Tourney Champs 79
            Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
            NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Watched both games this weekend. Must say, UNH dominated each game. Although they gave up more shots today, some juicey, it was clear that UNH was the better squad today. Great to see that all but 2 guys (Sislo and Henrion) got a point this afternoon as it's now obvious that a lot of time and effort is going to be put in to containing Butler, Thompson and DeSimone. That said, Leblanc and Moses getting 2 points a piece, Burke and Borisenok are also doing fantastic and had a great weekend. Both guys are fun to watch for completely different reasons. Borisenok is all heart and legs, and could have had 2-3 goals this weekend himself. Burke is a beast out there. They tried to knock him off the puck while in the corner a few times tonight. That was good for a laugh or two! He's a brick wall with some offensive smarts.

D.. another solid effort, but make no mistake Foster was the man and saved their bacon several times both nights. Few early Christmas gifts in the form of posts today, too!

Their team speed jumps out at you a bit more so than the first month and a half, IMO. Maybe that's a reflection of more Chemistry and trust.

Would be great to go into the break with 1 more W!!! Great turn around!!
              GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

I'zon & Malts' comments got me to thinking about this team compared to those in recent years that were more highly touted. One difference is that unlike the Micflikier-Hemingway-Winnik and Fornataro-Radja eras, this team has spread the scoring across three and sometimes four lines. I think those former teams had a tendency to count on their first lines too much. When the big NCAA quarterfinal games rolled around and those lines had an off night, the team was screwed.

Another big difference, it seems to me, is that this team doesn't let up the entire game. Occasionally the opposing team will outplay them for a period, but it's not because UNH is coasting. Kudos to Butler and Leblanc's leadership regarding hustle. As I had hoped, the all-out efforts against North Dakota and BU in the NCAA's last spring and the resulting success made a big impression with this team.
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
                  Their team speed jumps out at you a bit more so than the first month and a half, IMO. Maybe that's a reflection of more Chemistry and trust.
                  Interesting about the speed. When the game started today, it was really clear that UNH had great jump and just looked ready to play. Even after the early Thompson penalty (that led to the first UVM goal), I still felt pretty good about our chances. We just LOOKED fast and good. It carried on all game long and UNH did what they needed to do in a tough building.

Good win today.... really liked the play of Burke and Borisenok (as Izzy mentioned earlier). Could not agree more. Those two guys are a blast to watch. And our supporting cast is very strong too... with the likes of Thompson, Sislo, Moses, Henrion, LeBlanc, et al.

This team is starting to "get it" I think. Not going to say much more about that other than it makes me feel good to know that this season is far from lost (as it was appearing it might be after the Wisco weekend).

UNH Wildcats
                  ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                  NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Just got home from a long day of driving/hockey and what a great weekend. The posts were definitely fortunate for UNH today, but as has been said, they carried play for a majority of the game. Shots on goal today did not tell the story of how the flow of the game went. Foster looked solid, the d continues their progression (not sure who sits when Krates comes back), and all four lines looked good (which is more than we could say the last few weeks).
                    Random observation from the Gutt: When UNH was leaving the ice after the game, Coach Umile stopped at the entrance to the tunnel and congratulated each player individually. I can't remember seeing anything like this in games this year. This was a very cool gesture and showed me that he is really happy with their effort and progress as well.
                    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                      Random observation from the Gutt: When UNH was leaving the ice after the game, Coach Umile stopped at the entrance to the tunnel and congratulated each player individually. I can't remember seeing anything like this in games this year. This was a very cool gesture and showed me that he is really happy with their effort and progress as well.
                      I saw Coach Umile do this after the Merrimack game as well. Maybe it's a new away game tradition.
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                        I saw Coach Umile do this after the Merrimack game as well. Maybe it's a new away game tradition.
                        Oh interesting. I was on the other end of the ice at Merrimack, so I did not see it. I like it though.
                        "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
                          Interesting about the speed. When the game started today, it was really clear that UNH had great jump and just looked ready to play. Even after the early Thompson penalty (that led to the first UVM goal), I still felt pretty good about our chances. We just LOOKED fast and good. It carried on all game long and UNH did what they needed to do in a tough building.
                          See I didn't feel that UNH game out flying. It only took them about 5 mintues or so to start buzzing but it seemed to me that we were chasing Vermont to gain control. It took a few minutes to get our first shot, but after that we were flying around the ice.
                          UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                            1. Sislo, this year, has a better chance to drop in production than increase. He does have a nice finishing touch, but you can't underrate the impact JVR had on him last year.
                            2. Moses is the one guy of these four that can and will have a breakout year. I see his sophomore season playing out like Sislo's did last year. Both were trapped on grind lines their freshman year although they both had potential. Starting the year on a line with Sislo and Desimone will allow him to really shine. Moses has blazing speed and will be a very fun player to watch the next few years in Durham.
                            3. If Borisenok works hard, he will be a grind-liner, and nothing more.
                            4. Thompson does have the potential, as his Jr. Monarchs numbers show, but has lacked the work ethic and discipline his first two years here, and I think that is why he sat for half the season last year.

RTW's picks for breakout years among returning Wildcats are Moses and Phil Desimone.
                            My bold prediction is that John Henrion will have a very good freshman season and finish in the top 4 on the team in goals.
                            Always fun to go back and look a predications
                            PSW
                            watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                              That 06-07 team was helped by getting a MONSTER sophomore year out of Trevor Smith, who would end up bolting for the AHL (where he's stayed) after losing to Miami in the NCAA's (in Manchester).

Now, I say to myself, who on this team is ready to have a year like Smith did in 06-07? There are a lot of names that stick out.

1. Mike Sislo - Could say last year was his "Coming out year" and it certainly helped playing on JVR's line. However, I think he's actually a very talented scorer, and if he and Butler play on the same line, they could put a lot of pucks in the net.

2. Steve Moses - I don't know what it was about this kid, but he always seemed to hustle his way into plays last year. That pays off, since hustle tends to create opportunities.

3. Mike Borisenok - Didn't play much in the second half of last year, but the kid has talent. Give him a full season, and he might surprise.

4. Paul Thompson - I'll admit, I'm a homer on this call. He's from my hometown. But I still remember the first half of his freshman season, where it seemed like he was trying to prove that he belonged, and ended up scoring a boatload of goals before dropping off the radar. He has something to prove again, and if he keeps grinding and fighting down low, he'll get chances to put the puck in the net again.

Those are my guys to watch for this season. I think if any, or preferably all of them, have breakout years, then UNH could be a serious contender.
                              always fun looking back...
                              PSW
                              watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Originally posted by PSW View Post
                                Always fun to go back and look a predications
                                1. Bingo
                                2. Moses hasn't put as many pucks in the net as I expected, but he is progressing and the scoring will come eventually.
                                3. I would say I'm half right on that one. Borisenok is a great hustle guy and is always busting his but out there.
                                4. Bingo here as well. He has worked very hard this year and has really made the most of his opportunity to play with Butler and Desimone.

I stand by my prediction on Henrion, as he has not gotten a chance yet to play with top linemates. Eventually, he will get this chance and make the most of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X