X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
    After taking 5 out of our last 6 possible points, I think the game on Friday against UML could be very telling. Do we continue to play well against the conference? It would be nice to get a win against a highly ranked team. Reports were that we outplayed them for two periods (I don't know, I wasn't there, so please comment) and then fell apart.

Missed the BU game, so looking forward to getting back to the Whit for some hockey (and glad to be out of the hospital -- small TV + NESN + UNH hockey = a lot of squinting)
    Really 7 of the last 8 points, going back to the UMass series, and they are 11 seconds away from 9 of 10 points and having a 6-1-2 record in the league (and 6-5-3 overall). The effort game in and game out has been there, they're working hard and getting results, getting a little better each week. The Lowell game was a disaster, I wouldn't say they outplayed them for 2 periods, maybe the first period, but since then, they are 3-1-1 and, though UMass has a game in hand, sit at the top of the league... Its an interesting year....

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
      The Lowell game was a disaster, I wouldn't say they outplayed them for 2 periods, maybe the first period, but since then, they are 3-1-1 and, though UMass has a game in hand, sit at the top of the league... Its an interesting year....
      I was there and think that the Cats definitely outplayed the Riverhawks throughout the first period and into the second, gradually dropping everything good that they had been doing so that by midway through the second period the Hawks were in command, and remained so for the rest of the game. Good to see that this collapse was apparently a wake-up call of sorts. Collecting four points this coming weekend will be a huge challenge, but necessary as a confidence builder, and more important than games at this juncture last year given the disastrous early season OOC games. But, check out the SOS in all the rankings now, in which the Cats have climbed into the top 10; unfortunately SOS does not help much in the PWR unless we win more, duh.

Comment

*****http://friendsofunhhockey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/unhbuJDG_08343-300x238.jpg******
        Bobby Butler was named Hockey East player of the Month for November.

Comment

Boston Globe article on Butler:
          http://www.boston.com/sports/college...or_unh_hockey/
          Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Just back from the Whitt - Another impressive victory. Although the shots on goal were comparable, UNH appeared to have many more quality scoring opportunities.

(1) The sole UML goal appeared to deflect off Kostolansky's stick (from my vantage point at the other end of the ice). Darci, CBG, et al. - is that what you saw?

(2) The defensive core looked solid again. They're doing a real good job at controlling the area in front of Foster (clearing pucks, gaining better positions on the opposing forwards).

(3) Burke's assist on the winning goal was masterful. He got the puck in the slot, calmly spun counterclockwise, and backhanded a perfect pass to Kessel who shot into a gaping net. Up until he dislocated his shoulder in the first UMass game, Burke looked real good on the line with Leblanc and Sislo. Great to see he hasn't missed a step during his layoff.

(4) As much as I love Moses, it is awfully awkward for the right-hander to play on the left wing. A number of times tonight, he got a pass in the offensive zone and couldn't do much with it because he had to stop it with his backhand and shift it over to his forehand. I'd like to see the lefty Burke back on the left wing with Leblanc and Sislo. That way, Moses could rejoin the rocket-skate line with Borisenok.

(5) Was I seeing things or did Hutton make about a dozen miracle saves, particularly in the third period? Again, Darci and the gang had a front row seat and I'd be interested to hear their perspective.

(6) Although Blake Kessel deservedly earned the first star, I noticed the beginning of a bad habit. On a few occasions, he attempted a soft, too cute pass in his own end, dangerously close to Foster. The UML forward got to the puck before the other UNH defender could gather it in.

(7) When was the last time UNH had three defensemen - Kostolansky, Kessel, and Campanale - who can carry the puck out of their zone and through the neutral zone?

(8) My nominee for Hockey East Coach of the Midseason - Dick Umile. Has any other HE coach gotten their team to progress as much as Umile and his staff have?

If the Wildcats continue their consistent play, it won't be long before they creep into the USCHO rankings.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Just checking in before Chad, Matt and myself head to Durham in February for the Northeastern series. It's good to see the team making good progress. Last month I wasn't sure if we'd be watching a really poor UNH team but good things seem to be happening! Fingers crossed the trend continues! Enjoy the hockey dudes.
              UNH Hockey: Class and panache

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                (1) The sole UML goal appeared to deflect off Kostolansky's stick (from my vantage point at the other end of the ice). Darci, CBG, et al. - is that what you saw?

(5) Was I seeing things or did Hutton make about a dozen miracle saves, particularly in the third period? Again, Darci and the gang had a front row seat and I'd be interested to hear their perspective.
                I saw the goal go into the net but I didn't see if it got tipped or not. RTW had a better view of it than me. That was an extremely weak goal and if the goal post was being hugged it wouldn't have gone in.

Hutton had a good glove hand and made some great saves that way. UNH is also really good at shooting the puck into the goalie's chest. There were a few that if we could have gotten the shot off they probably would have gone in. There was one where Hutton was completely down and the net was wide open but we couldn't get the shot off.
                UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                  I saw the goal go into the net but I didn't see if it got tipped or not. RTW had a better view of it than me. That was an extremely weak goal and if the goal post was being hugged it wouldn't have gone in.

Hutton had a good glove hand and made some great saves that way. UNH is also really good at shooting the puck into the goalie's chest. There were a few that if we could have gotten the shot off they probably would have gone in. There was one where Hutton was completely down and the net was wide open but we couldn't get the shot off.
                  From my view it did not appear to deflect off of Kostolansky, but the shot was knuckling. Either way, it should have been routinely played by Foster.
                  In defense of the UNH shooters, Lowell was playing very well on defense, doing a great job of tying up UNH players trying to pick up rebounds. There were plenty of opportunities where UNH forwards just couldn't corral the puck or it bounced over the stick with open nets to shoot at. Hutton's best save of the night had to have been his sliding skate save of a Mike Borisenok one-timer from the slot. None of us could believe he made it over that quickly.
                  "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Were the Ref's on a mission to get out last night? Game was over in 2 hours. Granted it was a pretty cleanly played event however I think they may have redefined icing last night. Very few stoppages of play....other than a few really quick whistles around the net.

Not a complaint just an observation.
                    Please join me in the fight to reduce the world's supply of Bacardi.

Comment

Originally posted by SPCSMAN View Post
                      Were the Ref's on a mission to get out last night? Game was over in 2 hours. Granted it was a pretty cleanly played event however I think they may have redefined icing last night. Very few stoppages of play....other than a few really quick whistles around the net.

I like the way they called icing last night, they were calling it more like a professional game -- if the linesman thinks the defensive player had any chance at getting to it, they wave it off. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

A few people in the crowd were moaning that there weren't icing calls when a UNH player lifted a Lowell players stick and kept him from playing the puck.....that should never be icing.
                      Are you guys brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by SPCSMAN View Post

Considering how many times they gave each other the "why the hell did you call that" look, I'm not entirely sure they knew what icing was at times.
                        The Hoser Blog: Possibly the greatest internet find....ever

Originally posted by unh_hockey
                        Unfortunately, all the accusations against Mr. Rougier are accurate. he's been indited twice on operating in illegal drug and gambling rings in Newark NJ, Tampa Fl, and even in Hong Kong. Caught twice by inter pol, he's somehow managed to escape and post evil rumors on a college hockey board. I have taken proper measures to contact the FBI.

Comment

Thought last night was a pretty darn good performance all around. Kostalanky is a solid D man back there. Burke's play was great and had a pretty good view of it.. not to pick, but DeSimone could learn a thing or two from him.. Keep is simple, keep the puck on your stick and make the play! Had to agree with Umile.. Borisenok and his line played fantastic.. C-H-C.. to have him and Moses on the same line, just wouldn't be fair! you know, to the other team and all.

Sounds like there is a heartbeat in the building folks..... Keep beeting those TUC teams!!
                          Last edited by i'zonprize; 12-05-2009, 01:03 PM.
                          GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
                            Burke's play was great and had a pretty good view of it...
                            Yeah, that was a very nice play by the big kid. Used his size to protect the puck, and had the sense to see Kessel coming in from the point.

Hutton definitely had some great saves. Either Moses or Borisenok had a prime chance at a one-timer, but Hutton played it perfectly, even though there's almost no way Hutton could have seen it.

Nice to see UNH win that kind of game. Wouldn't have expected that in October.
                            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                            -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                              Yeah, that was a very nice play by the big kid. Used his size to protect the puck, and had the sense to see Kessel coming in from the point.

Hutton definitely had some great saves. Either Moses or Borisenok had a prime chance at a one-timer, but Hutton played it perfectly, even though there's almost no way Hutton could have seen it.

Nice to see UNH win that kind of game. Wouldn't have expected that in October.
                              Or November when they melted down in the third period at Lowell. Since then the only game they've lost was with 11 seconds to go vs. UMass. A heartbreaker but they turned it around the next night and have been on a roll since. Although the first line has certainly been the catalyst, I do think the improved play of the defense from Foster on out has been a key. Foster did give away a bad one last night (he does have a habit of this, I recall one against BC earlier), but he also made some pretty good saves, especially in the late part of the third when Lowell was pulling out all the stops. I can only reiterate the comments on Kostolansky, Campanale and Kessel, and you can throw Hardowa in there too.

At this point I don't know if Hockey East is just overwhelmingly medicore (almost every team is within a couple of games of .500), or whether UNH is just coming into their own. Another big game tomorrow afternoon at UVM. Should be favored considering our record against them, but have to play the game. Go Cats!

Comment

For years, I accepted that the Big Four – UNH, BC, BU, and Maine – would consistently be the top four teams in end-of-the-regular-season standings. Last year, Maine fell out of the top 4, and many forecast even less Big Four dominance of quarterfinals home ice. Myself, I was sure BU would remain near the top, that Maine would continue its slide, and was ambivalent (ok, had no idea) about BC or UNH. Yet, here are the Hockey East Standings after the December 5 games:
                                Rnk Team GP Pts
                                1 New Hampshire 10 14
                                1 Boston College 11 14
                                3 Maine 11 13
                                4 Mass.-Lowell 10 11
                                5 Massachusetts 9 10
                                5 Vermont 10 10
                                7 Northeastern 11 9
                                8 Merrimack 9 8
                                9 Boston University 11 6
                                10 Providence 8 5

Yes, teams have 16-18 games to play, but after over one-third of the season, there are two surprises: UNH, BC, and Maine are the top 3 teams and BU is 9th. Is college hockey a great sport, or what?

Comment

Working...
                                X