This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

That was an outstanding effort by UNH this weekend.
    Looking at the HE standings, I see UNH tied with BC for the top spot. But, aside from the impotent power play, the most glaring stat for UNH is GA. Absolutely 100% atrocious.
    And I liked Dick's appearance last night; maybe he could get some French cuffs?
    "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
    Larry David

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
      BU's second goal hit Kipp and deflected in. Nothing Foster could have done.
      it looked to me like there wasn't a defender b/w the shooter and Foster, and that he just didn't have the post secure, and it went behind him, didn't see it deflect off of anyone else (?) I just saw it (and the replay a few times) on a tiny TV in the newsroom, so I could have easily missed that..

Either way, I thought it was another great hard working effort by this team, and like what I've seen/heard the last 4 games, and if not for a fluky goal w/ 11 seconds left against UMass last Fri, it they could be 5-1-2 in the league. They're going to have to work hard every night and earn every point, and I see them improving a little each week. I'm enjoying watching this team a lot so far (despite a few hiccups!)
      Last edited by Gibber; 11-22-2009, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Stating the obvious.. Thompson had a great weekend. 3-2-5.. Feel bad for Leblanc, Sislo and Moses as I thought they played well enough to earn a few points for themselves, they had their chance and on a different weekend probably would have burried a few pucks... Most all the guys are contributing, although I'm not sure I'd call it backchecking when Block waives his stick at a guy. It did not appear as though he made a move with his feet to try to defend the guy who scored on the nice pivot move. They was no D man in the area and he could have played that one better.

Ya, Parker I think is losing it.. and what's up with him going after Butler at center ice after the game?
        GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
          Ya, Parker I think is losing it.. and what's up with him going after Butler at center ice after the game?
          And what was said between Umile and Parker after the confrontation? I suppose we'll never know, but the fact that they didn't do the typical handshake/hug/backpat last night is revealing.
          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post

Coach Parker certainly ought to be frustrated at this point, not unlike two years ago with a talented but underachieving team. He will right the ship.
            Will try to find the particulars of this brouhaha.

BTW - Coach Parker ought to feel fortunate a rather obvious OT hand covering the puck in the crease was not called.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDan View Post
              BTW - Coach Parker ought to feel fortunate a rather obvious OT hand covering the puck in the crease was not called.
              It was a good no-call. He (bonino) didn't freeze the puck. Just put his hand on top of it and swept it out of the crease.
              Originally posted by reBlur
              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                It was a good no-call. He (bonino) didn't freeze the puck. Just put his hand on top of it and swept it out of the crease.
                Wrong, he had his hand over the puck, a complete no-no. But overall I thought the game was well officiated. Gravel missed a call in the third period when UNH was on a PP. A BU defender, didn't catch who, cross checked Thompson right into the crease. Nothing called as the play went the other way.

You can't complain about these two games. UNH played pretty well, pretty consistently at both ends of the ice. Umile is looking for improvement week to week and I think the fans should be too. The Wildcats are a work in progress. I don't know what the ceiling is but I will tell you that each week I see better play out of not only Butler, but Thompson and even DeSimone (his first goal of the season, in the 12th game. You have to expect more out of him, don't you?). More importantly, the defense is getting better. Kostolansky has his deficiencies, not much speed, but he made a couple of excellent plays positionally in his own end. Kipp, Campanale and Hadowa were okay last night. As for Kessel, I thought a couple of times he took the wrong path to the puck in his own end, but he is still the most consistent d-man we have. Just have to see how it goes with four games left before the break, three of them on the road.
                Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 11-22-2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Nice to take three out of four points from BU. Way to go WILDCATS

What the heck was Pahkah chirping about after the game? He didn't even give Richard a hug at center ice.
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                    it looked to me like there wasn't a defender b/w the shooter and Foster, and that he just didn't have the post secure, and it went behind him, didn't see it deflect off of anyone else (?) I just saw it (and the replay a few times) on a tiny TV in the newsroom, so I could have easily missed that.
                    Definitely deflected off of Kipp. Shot would have gone across the front of Foster, otherwise.

And Bonino covered the puck with his glove - should be a penalty shot (not that it's a given UNH would have scored).

Reffing was pretty terrible both ways. Austin Block can't find the puck, and turns into the BU attacker, and draws a hit from behind. Hardowa doens't even hit the BU player, and gets called for the same penalty. And Saponari's slash was a stick check. Had his own stick not broken (first time I've seen that, btw), there'd have been no call. Good call on Shattenkirk at the start of OT, but then no call on UNH for the obvious slash (I could see it 200+ feet away)? At least none of the calls were as bad as T. Lowe calling a penalty with his back to it from Friday night.

Speaking of Block, I find it hard to believe that there's no one on the bench better than this kid. He seems to have no puck/hockey sense, bad hands, and no physical presence. Borisenok, 3 inches shorter and 15 pounds lighter, was way more physical than Block.

On a more positive note, I though Kipp actually played a pretty good game last night (other than the Saponari play).
                    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                    -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                      Speaking of Block, I find it hard to believe that there's no one on the bench better than this kid.
                      At this point, there's barely anybody on the bench.
                      "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        Wrong, he had his hand over the puck, a complete no-no.
                        I disagree. The problem here is that the play was NEVER STOPPED. Therefore, he did not FREEZE the puck. This is the reason why it is legal in my opinion. You typically only see a PS awarded when play is stopped with a frozen puck (referee can't see it) under a pile up in the crease, and they move the guys out of the pile and find out it was frozen under a player's glove and not the goalie.

Here are some rules to tinker with. I guess it's open to interpretation but to me you need play stopped because of a frozen puck and there is not a chance in heck play is going to be stopped with Bonino putting that under his glove for a half second at most with no one that close to him.

Rule 4.6.d on penalty shots
                        ...a penalty shot is awarded under Rules...6-16-b
                        (defending player falling on, holding or gathering the puck into the body
                        or hands when the puck in within the goal crease)...
                        Rule on Delay of the game 6.10.b:
                        A player or goalkeeper shall not deliberately hold (freeze) the puck
                        against the boards, cage or ice with the stick, skate, foot or any other part
                        of the body for the purpose of delaying the game (see 6-16-b).
                        Rule 6.16.b
                        A defending player, except the goalkeeper, shall not be permitted to fall on the puck or hold the puck or gather a puck into the body or hands
                        when the puck is within the goal crease.
                        Because they are helping define "hold with the stick, skate, foot, or any other part of the body" in 6.10.b as "freeze", it's a legal play. Feel free to agree to disagree.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

I may be missing it but I think gathering the puck into the body or hands covers putting a glove over the puck. That is gathering the puck in.

Just me.

I have always been taught you can't cover the puck in the crease unless you are the goalie. You will actually see NHL players push it under the goalie with thier finger tips or knuckles to not cover it.

Should have been a P.S.
                          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                            I may be missing it but I think gathering the puck into the body or hands covers putting a glove over the puck. That is gathering the puck in.

Just me.

I have always been taught you can't cover the puck in the crease unless you are the goalie. You will actually see NHL players push it under the goalie with thier finger tips or knuckles to not cover it.

Should have been a P.S.
                            He didn't cover it though. He put his hand on it and then swept it away from the net. He wasn't gathering or covering anything he was pushing it away.
                            UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                              He didn't cover it though. He put his hand on it and then swept it away from the net. He wasn't gathering or covering anything he was pushing it away.
                              Bonino did have his glove over the puck, at least from my vantage point which was about 10 rows up from the face-off dot in what was the BU end. I had a clear view. If you put your hand OVER the puck, then even hesitate before swiping or throwing it out, it should be a penalty shot. The fact that the play never stopped (and that means the ref whistling for a stop) is irrelevant. If the player covers the puck in the crease, it's a violation. The problem was the failure of Gravallese (I think he was down low there) to blow the whistle. Of course, given the situation (I just love situational reffing), there was no way that the call would be made in OT, just no way.

No matter. The game was incredibly wide open, and both teams had a boat load of chances. It was a very entertaining game (actually both games on the weekend were) and the end result should make both teams and their fans happy. I know I am, given that all of UNH's wins have come in Hockey East.
                              Tied for first place with a game in hand!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                Bonino did have his glove over the puck, at least from my vantage point which was about 10 rows up from the face-off dot in what was the BU end. I had a clear view. If you put your hand OVER the puck, then even hesitate before swiping or throwing it out, it should be a penalty shot. The fact that the play never stopped (and that means the ref whistling for a stop) is irrelevant. If the player covers the puck in the crease, it's a violation. The problem was the failure of Gravallese (I think he was down low there) to blow the whistle. Of course, given the situation (I just love situational reffing), there was no way that the call would be made in OT, just no way.

No matter. The game was incredibly wide open, and both teams had a boat load of chances. It was a very entertaining game (actually both games on the weekend were) and the end result should make both teams and their fans happy. I know I am, given that all of UNH's wins have come in Hockey East.
                                Tied for first place with a game in hand!!!!
                                I know he put his hand over it. I had a better view of it than the refs. But he never held it there, it was an instant sweep. During the game I was upset over this but after watching it again it was a good no call.
                                UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Working...
                                X