This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Day to day for a pinkie! That is just crazy.
    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
      Overall, NHL players suffer more frequent and more serious injuries than college players. JVR is, no doubt, being paid handsomely for entering the cage fight otherwise known as the NHL. He is paying the price.
      And there's no doubt that he's more than happy to pay that price. There is no real legitimate argument that there was any reason for him to come back for anymore time at UNH. IMO, he had done all the developing there was for him to do here. Many felt like he didn't always play his hardest here and are soured that the team failed to reach a FF during his time, but his play this year is showing that he was definitely ready, regardless of any minor injuries he sustains.
      "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
        The size, speed, and physical play of NHL players are several orders of magnitude higher than in the NCAA (which is why the diminutive Nate Gerbe has only had a few cups of coffee with the Buffalo Sabres).
        And yet diminutive guys like Theo Fleury, Brian Gionta, and Martin St. Louis have played for more than a few cups of coffee. So what was your point again?
        Originally posted by reBlur
        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

After this weekend I have accepted the reality that home ice in the HE quarters is unlikely and an NCAA bid is less likely. Even if Cornell and Dartmouth win out except against us we will need to win the HE tournament to qualify for the NCAAs. The 'cats will improve by year's end. Looking forward it would be nice at season's end to think that we are the team playing the best in March not qualifying for the NCAA tournament.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
            Even if Cornell and Dartmouth win out except against us we will need to win the HE tournament to qualify for the NCAAs.
            Wait, what?
            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Mini gallery from Sunday's game - http://hockeyphotography.com/blog/2009/11/unh-at-uml/

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
              HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
              HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Just wondering out loud here why is that every other teams defenseman can get off consistent shots on goal and UNH shots are blocked 90% of the time. Most of UNH shots from the point that do get through wouldn't break a pane of single glass!

With all the long goals given up by foster this year is the defense that poor or does he need glasses? Perhaps he can't see the puck that far away?

I would say Desimone is a total bust at UNH. He can sure stick handle to nowhere real good though!!!! Sitting Desimone is addition by subtraction.

Comment

Some observations I have, based on the results of this weekend's games:

1. Bobby Butler is the best overall player this team has. He has the ability to change a game single-handedly, whether offensively or defensively...Like Borisenok and Moses he flies around, however he actually has the ability to make plays on a consistent basis. He will be the backbone this version of the Wildcats is built around.

2. Burke and Paul Thompson should play together on a "checking line"...could probably put Borisenok on there to finish it off, as they are the guys I've noticed playing the hard-nosed defense you want out of that sort of grouping. Borisenok is more of a scrappy flier...but he's comfortable getting his nose dirty. Thompson and Burke are classic bruisers, very comfortable along the boards. They tend to set the tone in terms of physicality.

3. Defense is as big a liability as we expected coming in. Not sure where the D-Men fit into things entirely, but the one positive I DID notice this weekend (mostly against Lowell) were some actual smart defensive plays from Damon Kipp. Could he be turning the corner?

4. Stay out of the penalty box. We clearly have issues stopping the power play. Forget what I said about "hustle penatlies" occasionally being a good thing. As of now, no penalties are a good thing, as it now appears that PK = Goal.

5. After making my first visit, I must say that the Tsongas is actually quite a nice arena. Rather empty, an overzealous announcer, and way too many little kids(perhaps it was just where i was sitting)...but it's a nice facility. Also appreciate hearing the Brass Bonanza in proper context.

6. One last thing: These guys are going to have to go 100 % for 60 minutes if they are going to get wins this year. To take the line from Herb Brooks, we do not have enough talent to win on talent alone. If the Wildcats are to beat the BC's, BU's, and yes....UMass-Lowell's of the world, it's going to take everything these guys have, every night, for 60 minutes. Sometimes 65. Otherwise we're going to be more concerned about how the Red Sox rotation is shaping out in March, rather than how far the Cats will go in the HE Tournament.
                  Last edited by IrishWildcat; 11-09-2009, 04:25 PM.
                  A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                    5. After making my first visit, I must say that the Tsongas is actually quite a nice arena. Rather empty, an overzealous announcer, and way too many little kids(perhaps it was just where i was sitting)...but it's a nice facility. Also appreciate hearing the Brass Bonanza in proper context.
                    Unfortunately, you caught a Lowell home game on a bad night. The 4k in attendance was the smallest crowd we've had this year. I know the 5pm Sunday afternoon game hurt me, as I couldn't make it due to still being at the post-game Pats tailgate, and there were others in the same situation. Plus I'm sure quite a few of the kids were probably working as well.
                    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Lowell had a promotion with Clifford the Big Red Dog and Curious George going on Sunday, and actually advertised it at schools and day cares. Seems like an ok way to boost attendance to a Sunday game I suppose.

I would have largely prefered that Lowell not be on ESPNU on the smallest draw of the season, but thems the breaks.
                      Lowell Forever
                      Forever Lowell

Comment

Some observations I have, based on the results of this weekend's games:

6. One last thing: These guys are going to have to go 100 % for 60 minutes if they are going to get wins this year. To take the line from Herb Brooks, we do not have enough talent to win on talent alone. If the Wildcats are to beat the BC's, BU's, and yes....UMass-Lowell's of the world, it's going to take everything these guys have, every night, for 60 minutes. Sometimes 65. Otherwise we're going to be more concerned about how the Red Sox rotation is shaping out in March, rather than how far the Cats will go in the HE Tournament.
                        So is Dice-K's arm going to hold up this season?
                        UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

IrishWildcat - wasn't there, but kudos to ULowell for making an attempt to bring those kids in to see a college hockey game. They are the future of the game at any level. Take a look at the declining numbers in youth hockey over the last several years; they may not have been "true" college fans, but the game needs them.

Too bad they had to see that defensive performance by UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
                            So is Dice-K's arm going to hold up this season?
                            Now now, it's not March yet...First we can discuss whether or not Laurence Maroney will actually become a viable option to establish a running game, or whether that 4th quarter performance against the Dolphins was a fluke.

And to CarlS: What defensive performance?
                            A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Now now, it's not March yet...First we can discuss whether or not Laurence Maroney will actually become a viable option to establish a running game, or whether that 4th quarter performance against the Dolphins was a fluke.

And to CarlS: What defensive performance?
                              Really. Maroney has shown himself to be low-potential, low-achiever. I have yet to understand why the Pats, with all of that surplus money lying around, are afraid to pay the money for a top-of-the-line running back. Hey, how about Larry Johnson?

As for the "defensive performance," it was offensive. Foster needs a vacation. Watching Mr. Umile's invective-laden screaming at the officials only tells me more that he should retire. The team should not worry about how the officials call the game; they should worry about their own performances. Apparently Dickie is not concerned about his. The powerplay is an embarrassment. No mystique. No finesse. The good teams will let you pass the perimeter all day long and kill the penalty yourself. How long have we watched that?

It was nice TV coverage, a disappointing result as a UNH fan, but truly gave me a better perspective about the shortcomings of this year's edition. That being said, I do not think I am being unreasonable in predicting a sweep for UMass this weekend.
                              Last edited by billb; 11-09-2009, 07:44 PM.
                              "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
                              Larry David

Comment

Originally posted by huesie View Post

I would say Desimone is a total bust at UNH. He can sure stick handle to nowhere real good though!!!! Sitting Desimone is addition by subtraction.
                                You know DeSimone surely is not putting up points but he's everywhere on the ice. maybe he needs to look at passing to get open rather than carrying the puck until it's taken from him. Right now you could probably pick out a lot of guys where addition by subtraction would be a valid arguement.. Personally I think the lines need to be juggled and juggled until something works.

Why not:

Moses- LeBlanc- Henrion (he and Moses made mince meat out of the EJHL togethr and he put up decent numbers in spurts on the USHL team last yr. once he adjusted to the competition. Too good to be sitting, but maybe Umile wanted speed on the ice with Manz and Pavelski)

DeSimone- Butler- Borisenok (speed line)
                                Sislo-Burke-Thompson (I'm going to break your face and then score line)
                                Block-Speelman-McCarey (these guys look a bit lost out there on the other lines, this would give them a chance to... gell?)

D-fense.. . Keep practicing! They may be young but Kip and Kostalanski are showing some good signs and Hardowa, I think is solid. The more they play and practice, the better.
                                Last edited by i'zonprize; 11-09-2009, 08:10 PM.
                                GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Working...
                                X