• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

So... do people have their tickets yet?

Comment

Yes Mark...arrived in the mail about a week ago. In Nashua.
      AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

As for the season, while I don't have extremely high hopes right now, we'll see what happens. It will be interesting to see how it all comes together. I'd say from the coaching side this will be a good test of how good/bad Umile is. Yes, UNH doesn't have it's usual "givens" up front to count on for scoring. Yes, the defense is not as experienced as UNH has had in the past. It's a chance for some of the players to step up their games. I'm glad Foster's back......a team can gain a lot of confidence from solid goaltending. Having to play Miami and Wisconsin early on is an opportunity to see if it really is going to be a down year or not. I'm hoping the team surprises a lot of people. If only they could bottle the way they played in the NCAAs last year..........
        AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Originally posted by Markt View Post
          So... do people have their tickets yet?
          I even got my quater final tickets already. I was a big shocked to see them in the mail. Now I just need my RPI tickets.
          UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Mowers10 View Post
            As for the season, while I don't have extremely high hopes right now, we'll see what happens. It will be interesting to see how it all comes together. I'd say from the coaching side this will be a good test of how good/bad Umile is. Yes, UNH doesn't have it's usual "givens" up front to count on for scoring. Yes, the defense is not as experienced as UNH has had in the past. It's a chance for some of the players to step up their games. I'm glad Foster's back......a team can gain a lot of confidence from solid goaltending. Having to play Miami and Wisconsin early on is an opportunity to see if it really is going to be a down year or not. I'm hoping the team surprises a lot of people. If only they could bottle the way they played in the NCAAs last year..........
            Geez, so going into his 20th season behind the bench Umile will finally be tested on his ability to coach? I guess all those 20 win seasons, NCAA appearances (albeit no NC), don't count for much, eh? Personally I thought he passed the test last year, when after the team won only once in November, they still got home ice and almost made it to the FF. This year's team may not be the best on paper, but Umile has had teams in the past that weren't much better and somehow he was able to get them to perform admirably and exceed cynics' expectations. The beauty of college hockey (or any other college sport) is that there is something new and fresh each year. You never know how freshmen are going to play until they get on the ice, you never know which sophomores or juniors will finally get it and elevate their game. I'll let others predict who the "stars" of the team will be, but you have to at least acknowledge that the UNH roster has the manpower to compete for home ice and the NCAA's.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              This year's team may not be the best on paper, but Umile has had teams in the past that weren't much better and somehow he was able to get them to perform admirably and exceed cynics' expectations.
              When?
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Mowers10 View Post
                Yes Mark...arrived in the mail about a week ago. In Nashua.
                Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                I even got my quater final tickets already. I was a big shocked to see them in the mail. Now I just need my RPI tickets.
                Huh. I live 15 min from campus. I should probably call...

Comment

Huh. I live 15 min from campus. I should probably call...
                  You should....I think the "default" setup this year was to NOT have the tickets mailed to you, but to have us pick them up at some Saturday function. In fact, I believe they charged an extra $5 if you wanted them sent to your house.
                  Are you guys brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Braden View Post
                    You should....I think the "default" setup this year was to NOT have the tickets mailed to you, but to have us pick them up at some Saturday function. In fact, I believe they charged an extra $5 if you wanted them sent to your house.
                    It costs an extra $5 I think to get them mailed to you.
                    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Braden View Post
                      Thanks, I guess I missed that. The tickets are in my Account Manager, so I think I can print them. I wonder if I can just stop by the box office and pick them up. I'll give them a call.

29, I was fishing on your lake last week. Very cold...

Comment

Thanks, I guess I missed that. The tickets are in my Account Manager, so I think I can print them. I wonder if I can just stop by the box office and pick them up. I'll give them a call.

29, I was fishing on your lake last week. Very cold...
                        You should be able to pick them up at the box office.

Yes sadly the warm weather is done and so is waterskiing.
                        UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                          Geez, so going into his 20th season behind the bench Umile will finally be tested on his ability to coach? I guess all those 20 win seasons, NCAA appearances (albeit no NC), don't count for much, eh? Personally I thought he passed the test last year, when after the team won only once in November, they still got home ice and almost made it to the FF. This year's team may not be the best on paper, but Umile has had teams in the past that weren't much better and somehow he was able to get them to perform admirably and exceed cynics' expectations. The beauty of college hockey (or any other college sport) is that there is something new and fresh each year. You never know how freshmen are going to play until they get on the ice, you never know which sophomores or juniors will finally get it and elevate their game. I'll let others predict who the "stars" of the team will be, but you have to at least acknowledge that the UNH roster has the manpower to compete for home ice and the NCAA's.
                          Geez Greg, perhaps you could read my post and try to understand it, rather than jumping to conclusions not supported by the statements I made?

Comment

[QUOTE=Mowers10;4381491]Geez Greg, perhaps you could read my post and try to understand it, rather than jumping to conclusions not supported by the statements I made?[/QUOTE

I re-read your post and came away with the impression that you not enamored with team's prospects and that you take a dim view of what Umile can do with this bunch. Maybe I'm wrong and, if so, I apologize. My response to you had nothing to do with how you view the team, but how you view the coach, who has been quite successful over the past 19 years. Really, I've never understood why he doesn't get more respect (the Rodney Dangerfield thing I guess) from UNH fandom. The attitude seems to be that he can win when has the horses but that he will never elevate a team beyond their perceived talent level.

Off the top of my head I can think of three teams that exceeded expectations - 1994, when they actually won a tournament game behind the shutout goaltending of Trent Cavicchi (of all people), 1995, when they played in Manchester and probably put 5,000 miles busing to practices and all games "home" and away, and 2003, which I think most people acknowledge was a team that surprised us all.

Comment

I think Umile is highly respected by the UNH fandom for what he has done, which is turn the program into a consistent national contender. However, I think the problem is simply the lack of national title. It's rather foolish considering how close he's gotten them, but if he is able to bring one back to Durham his last few years here, he'll own the town.
                              Last edited by RockTheWhit; 09-28-2009, 08:20 AM.
                              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                                It costs an extra $5 I think to get them mailed to you.
                                Hmmm....I was in LA a couple of weeks ago and got tix to a Dodger game. They mailed them to me free of charge. Of course they charged me $10,965 in convenience and administrative fees, but they picked up the 96 cent stamp .

One more week till the ex game. Wow, that summer just flew by. Oh well, college hockey is back and I'm smiling again . Can't wait to see you on the SU board.

Dean
                                Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
                                2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Working...
                                X