This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Who were those ghouls wearing UNH jerseys in the first period?
    (tv timeout)
    Night of the Living Dead, Wisconsin Edition, stole our boys.
    (tv timeout)
    Got to find a solution for sluggish play in the first period, which was also evident against Miami and Maine.
    (tv timeout)
    Foster sleep-skating through the first period is a concern, Fortunately, his quickness returned in the 2nd and 3rd periods.
    (tv timeout)
    For better or worse, Brett Kostolansky is getting an audition for the big show. Not bad, overall, a little reminiscent of Kevin Kapstad in terms of size and willingness to move the puck out of the zone. When will Nick Krates be back?
    (tv timeout)
    Did Umile and York sign a gentleman's agreement, before the game, stipulating that the game would be no-checking? Even my favorite new D-man Hardowa wasn't touching anyone.
    (tv timeout)
    Class act of the season goes to Bobby Butler for giving up the prestige of skating on the first line in order to help solve the "what to do with Desimone and Sislo" conundrum. Sislo was much more of a factor last night.
    (tv timeout)
    Moses and Borisenok beat the Whitney boys in the "who wants to be the next Nate Gerbe" contest.
    (tv timeout)
    Henrion and McCarey keep plugging away - they're my dark horse candidates for a breakout sophomore year in 2010-11.
    (tv timeout)
    Did anyone else at the Whitt notice those annoying red-lighted, nap times after every few minutes of play?
    (tv timeout).
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mosrite View Post

Riddle me this: UNH players running into Muse = roughing minors for UNH.
      BC player running into Foster = BC goal??

Anyone? Anyone?
      Hansen

Comment

last night was an emotional rollercoaster. Went from the downest of downs to almost the highest of highs. Great third period.
        A few notes about the lines.

I liked the first line a lot.

I'd like to see
        Henrion, DeSimone, Butler
        Thompson, Moses, Borisenok - i think this line especially Thompson and Borisenok have really good chemistry. And moses is good anywhere.
        Burke, McCarey, Block

Henrion needs a shot at a top line.

Comment

Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
          last night was an emotional rollercoaster. Went from the downest of downs to almost the highest of highs. Great third period.
          A few notes about the lines.

I liked the first line a lot.

I'd like to see
          Henrion, DeSimone, Butler
          Thompson, Moses, Borisenok - i think this line especially Thompson and Borisenok have really good chemistry. And moses is good anywhere.
          Burke, McCarey, Block

Henrion needs a shot at a top line.
          Henrion had a good night last night.. and put a terrific shot up as he was falling down/getting tripped w/o a whistle by Wey.
          And, LeBlanc?? with Burke and Sislo?

D got caught staring at the puck a lot in the first rather than taking a man. Lots of BC guys sprinting to the net that period w/o a body on them. D was looking at the puck carrier and not the guy about to be on top of the net.
          Last edited by i'zonprize; 11-07-2009, 12:25 PM.
          GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Im not one not complain about coaching on these boards as I generally think Umile and Co. do a good job. But after watching that game last night I get the sense that UNH still feels they have more skill than the majority of the teams they play- they play and up tempo run and gun style, which is great, but I dont see it working this year. Wisco had D to shut it down, BU will have the D to shut it down, and BC will too once Cross, Dumoulin, Wey, and Shea get games under their belts. UNH needs to be better defensively. Im a big fan of Kessel, but the kid needs to get meaner and better defensively. I do not doubt he will get an NHL contract, but hes not good enough to be a PP quarterback in the NHL, maybe not even at the AHL, if he doesnt sharpen up he will get his one contract and than be done. I dont really care how "physical" the UNH D are, as I know its tough to finish all hits at the Whit and not be taken out of position- but their one on one play has been awful. Getting beat 1 on 1 is just not OK, and its happening alot this year. I think both Umile and York will watch that video with disgust to be perfectly honest. One Dman I like for UNH is hardowa, big kid and pretty mobile. Hes a meat and potatoes guy and I think he will be what this group needs. Kostolansky looked good too.

As for the lines, I liked the switch up a bit. Bottom line is Butler and Leblanc can only do so much, so I think its good that they split them up. Sislo looked good last night- but here are my thoughts on his season so far--- he got way to comfortable last year playing with JVR and pollestrone, two highly skilled players. He got it in his mind that he was a "finisher" and a skill guy. Well hes not, he has some talent for sure, but if he thinks hes going to be a player that gets to sit back and let others do the dirty work he will not get very far. Hes got a ton of speed and grit and some finishing ability, but without JVR he will have to create alot more by himself. Ive watched him early and he thinks hes Brett Hull, coasting around waiting for one timers. Last night was good for thim though, Leblanc's pace elevated his pace to where it needs to be. And those who thought JVR was just ok, man oh man have you been watching him lately? Will be a great thing for UNH if he wins the calder.

Moving on to Desimone-Can umile put this guy in the stands? I just read the intro to BU's book that came out, and parker was not shy to sit Bonnino and Lawrence last year, why is desimone exempt? I understand they need him to be a top player- but right now the kid is not getting it done and needs a serious wakeup call. I have never seen a player with a lower battle level than him. Yes he has alot of skill, but the only time he has any jump is on the PP when he knows its less likely he will get hit. As a 3rd round pick and USHL POTY, he needs to be ALOT better. I dont understand how he remains on a top line and gets PP time with the performance hes given thus far. Give guys like Borisok, thompson, henrion, moses, mccarey, and block his ice. Desimone has done NOTHING at UNH to be given the oppurtunity he has- kid really needs to get it together and evolve or UNH will not go too far. With that being said, I know he has alot of talent and potential, I just think he needs a wakeup call, something he has not had since hes been here...hes still getting by on his junior numbers.

And my final comment is in agreement with a pervious poster. Against Maine the line of Borisniuk-Thompson-Moses dominated. What was the result? They were split up the following game against Wisconsin. I get the sense that this happened because of desimone and sislo not playing well- Umile juggled the line to cater to them. I dont understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
              Henrion had a good night last night.. and put a terrific shot up as he was falling down/getting tripped w/o a whistle by Wey.
              so does that mean sislo didnt score a powerplay goal at 4:16 of third period after wey got called for tripping at 3:45, or are you complaining about a different game?
              “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
              Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
              Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
              National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Henrion had a good night last night
                He was the worst forward on the ice last night.
                Are you guys brothers?

Comment

Dover-I largely agree with your characterization of Desimone for the duration of his career in Durham, but last night he played a very good game for UNH. In the first and second, he was one of the only UNH players winning one-on-one battles. Then, he made a great play carrying the puck through the neutral zone to set up Butler's tying goal. Hopefully last night playing on a new line was a sign of things to come and he will continue this success.
                  "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

And, LeBlanc?? with Burke and Sislo?
                    LeBlanc was with Sislo and Speelman

And as far as Desimone, I thought last night was the best game I've seen out of him so far this year, I liked him skating with Butler, fwiw.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                      so does that mean sislo didnt score a powerplay goal at 4:16 of third period after wey got called for tripping at 3:45, or are you complaining about a different game?
                      That's correct.. I was wrong about that. There was a call, finally... Generated from the aggressive play Henrion to beat the defender wide and then angle towards the net. Not bad for the worst forward.
                      GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

That's correct.. I was wrong about that. There was a call, finally... Generated from the aggressive play Henrion to beat the defender wide and then angle towards the net. Not bad for the worst forward.
                        Ok, he got tripped and almost got a shot off. What else did he do? He had a very tough time in his own end and from where I was sitting was the weakest link on the weakest line. It's not like I hate the guy or something, but he wasn't very good that night.
                        Are you guys brothers?

Comment

soo, you want me to say/write that there were worse forwards out there.. hmm.. -I'll pass. For all we know this kid helped to change the game beating the D wide, drawing the penalty. Sislo scores.. etc .etc..

Actually, he did get the shot off. Muse made the grab. glove side. It was going to go wide.
                          GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
                            And those who thought JVR was just ok, man oh man have you been watching him lately? Will be a great thing for UNH if he wins the calder.
                            JVR dons a Flyers' jersey and promptly (i.e., his third game) suffers a mild concussion/head trauma after being creamed into the boards. Now this:

"Van Riemsdyk suffered a severe cut on his left pinkie finger, and Holmgren said the tip of the finger could be broken -- "I'd say he's day to day," he said of the League's leading rookie scorer."

Perhaps putting on a UNH jersey for one more year wouldn't have been such a bad thing. That said, he clearly was ready to turn professional. For all the p*ssing and moaning Holmgren did about UNH, I think Umile's decision to make JVR a centerman was a key contributor to his development. At center, JVR had to learn how to play defense in his own zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                              Perhaps putting on a UNH jersey for one more year wouldn't have been such a bad thing. That said, he clearly was ready to turn professional.
                              Uh.... what? He keeps getting hurt so you think that illustrates he should have stayed at UNH, risked getting injured at UNH and miss out on a major payday? And then you say he was clearly ready.

So why would him coming back not have been such a bad thing? Doesn't make any sense.
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

The size, speed, and physical play of NHL players are several orders of magnitude higher than in the NCAA (which is why the diminutive Nate Gerbe has only had a few cups of coffee with the Buffalo Sabres). Overall, NHL players suffer more frequent and more serious injuries than college players. JVR is, no doubt, being paid handsomely for entering the cage fight otherwise known as the NHL. He is paying the price.
                                Last edited by C-H-C; 11-08-2009, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X