X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 UNH Wildcats Season

Originally posted by JB View Post
    The Whitt is not a bottom end facility. Are there better/newer sure but please it is still a top 20 facility.

As for BU and UNH, they have never really competed for the same players on an equal playing field even when BU was playing in a dump. During those lean years for BU they still got recruits that were highly sot after, the players just didn't become anything.

Let's not go “build” in excuses; the Whitt is not the problem. The Whitt didn’t make UNH give up in B.C. for several years, loosing then pipeline of talent that caused the 97 to 03 run. The Whitt did not have UNH overreaching and hanging on to long for players they were likely to get while the ones they should have had committed elsewhere. The Whitt has not caused the power play to each year look more lost than the last since McCloskey went to the Women’s team.

When UNH waits too long on a high end kid or looses somebody late in the year they always fall to the "safe" player. That safe player has limited upside, hence UNH never comes up with something special like the late get D-man at Denver last year, or even the first line forward at CC this year. Sometimes you need to swing for the fence.

As a team they could still do a better job of playing smart disciplined hockey. There are ways teams with less talent can beat teams with more talent. But UNH rarely pulls that off. If they played a more disciplined style of hockey, smartly playing to their strengths they would be a much more difficult NCAA out than they usually are (last year as the exception).

Lastly look at Blasi recent track record. He is not getting the same caliber of play Michigan is but he is getting those player to play well. Last year and mostly freshman and sophomore team made the Championship game. Some of that is talent but much of it is coaching. That set play off the face-off is amazing coaching.
    Im not saying you dont have some good points, however I think alot of them are uninformed. UNH and BU certainly compete for players. Sean Collins and Eddie Caron are two players that jump right out at me off the top of my head. Some that went the other way, Pete MacArthur, Boomer Ewing, Chris Bourque, and Bonnino. Those are just off the top of my head, they compete a ton, except its not a really a competition right now.

On to the "BC Pipeline" you talk about. UNH did not stop recruiting out there, what happened was NoDak and Denver most noteably upgraded facilities and really put themselves on the map and out recruited UNH up in BC. If you ask Scott Borek, his favorite place to recruit is in fact BC. In his first year he went to BC for Brett Hemingway, Josh Ciocco, Craig Switzer- all of which were top performer in that league. In the year after those guys, they still went up there, but they lost out, some names that come to mind are jonathan sigalet, kyle ostrow, matt frattin, riley nash, weiricoch, darcy zajac, evan trupp-again off the top of my head. Of those 7 I just mentioned, 5 went DU and NODAK. Also, another problem with the BC league, it is not as good as to used to be in the colin hemingway, lanny gare, and even the B hemingway/ciocco years. Something that has happened, which I am sure you are aware of, the USHL has absorbed alot more talent. The best players from BC are finding their way down to the USHL, case in point, Sahir Gill. They HAVE to spend the majority of their time in the USHL as opposed to the BCHL because their are better players in the USHL. And the best players out in BC are likely to stay closer to home with DU, NoDak, and Wisco- though they have had some success recently, but lets see how those guys all turn out before we deem the best class to come to UNH-how would legglia, downing, and Reid be doing in the USHL- my guess is not nearly as good.

Also, the 97-03 run you are referring to, it wasnt due to a BC pipeline, well Krog had a big part I must say, but it had just as much to do with an Ontario pipeline. If you should be complaining about any area UNH has lost touch with, its Ontario. However, this is not a problem that UNH is alone with. Everyone has had a hard time with ontario due to the OHL. However that is where UNH had the location advantage on the DU's and NOdak's. The problem is UNH isnt competing with other schools for the ontario kids, they go head to head with OHL.

As far as the PP goes, I do not know how you can blame coaches, that is funny to me. I know many NHL teams and college teams that only practice PP breakouts and then let the players play in zone. It happens, trust me. Good players make good PP's. Do you think Mcloskey was a genious with his PP set up and that other coaches couldnt figure it out? Or was it because Haydar and Krog were two of the best PP players there are? And the PP hasnt been stale since Borek, please look at the past. UNH has had great PP success with guys like Collins, Saviano, Callander, Aikens, yandle, micflikier, Winnik, and Smith, and Radja. UNH's PP has been really good, one of the best in the country probably until last year. And btw, Umile calls the shots, not mcloskey or borek. do you think haydar used a different set up then they do now? no, he was just alot better then bobby bulter and block.

UNH is in the hunt for the right players, if you read on websites like the ushr, when players committ to other schools it says who else they were considering, and UNH is in the mix. Like I said, there needs to be upgrades-you want a national championship? then you have to compete with NoDak, Wisco, BU, BC, DU, etc. ALL have better facilities, this was not case in 98-03.

And one final comment to watcher, Kolomatis was not one of UNH's best talents, give me a break. He was a good recruit, but there are alot of others they have had that id rather have, Blake Kessel for one. He was undrafted in his first couple year and LA picked him up in the 7th round last year? hardly a great recruit

Comment

It's going to be a very long time before UNH invests $50 million plus into building a brand new facility, if ever. Players were drawn to UNH because of the exciting crowd atmosphere of past seasons, and the fact that it has very decent facilities. Look at the football team and the facilities that they have to work with - a mediocre D-II stadium, yet they still manage to land some of the best talent in the FCS. To your point, losing seven players including 3 experienced D-men and an unexpected loss of incoming talent is hurting UNH right now. Umile and co. need to figure out how to mold the talent that they have, bring the crowds back to the Whitt and make the place an enticing sell for incoming recruits.[/QUOTE]

When did UNH get better? When they got the new rink, that is what players were attracted to. And yes, I have seen the facilities at UNH, my question to you is have you seen the locker room, gym, etc at places like BU, BC, DU, NoDak, CC? Also, UNH football doesnt compete in the same realm as UNH hockey. If UNH football went for the same recruits as Michigan and BC they would loose 100% of the time.

Also, watcher, why do you say UNH has been on a downward swing for 7 years? That is nuts to me- In 05 they had 26 wins, in 07 they had 26 wins, and in 08 they had 25 wins. No program in college hockey can say that is a downward swing. They havent missed the NCAA's in all 7 years you pointed out.

Comment

Is this program allowed to have a rebuilding year??? This is not the most talented edition of the Wildcats, with lots of problems from previous seasons rearing their ugly head. The fan base should not be angry with this season in Wildcat country, its really hard to be a top program year after year. The anger should come from the previous years where the talent and chemistry was with the team all season long only to have it crumble quickly in March.

I like the captain choices for this years team. LeBlanc and Butler are smart hard working players that will help the younger guys along and into the future. They are a really young team... Who know what the future will bring in the goaltending situation, but the future is looking at least somewhat decent in both forwards and defensemen. Will everyone blossom? No, but it sure looks as though recruiting is gaining traction again after a few less than stellar years.

Keep going to the games people, to keep a winning program going, the fans need to support it through thick and thin, the environment and culture within the Whittemore Center needs to change and foster the raucous crowd that made it one of the most feared places to play, rather than the Whitte-morgue moniker that it has received in more recent years.

UNH Hockey will be back in full force as long as the fans do their jobs during the "down" years... Hey at least we aren't Maine
        UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

When did UNH get better? When they got the new rink, that is what players were attracted to.
          No. They got better when they brought in a new coach who could spread the story of needing talented kids, and convincing them they could be important parts to an up and coming program. That occurred in 1987 with the old rink, with Kullen convincing four NHLers to join him (Kevin Dean, Winnes, Plavsic and Scott Morrow, along with All-Americans Amodeo, Mitrovic and Flanigan).

It was the same motivation once Umile took over in 1990. Same reason Maine got better in 84, and Northeastern regrew its program in 2006. It's a new coach who can easily explain his need for "his guys" to help him raise the program. Its passion in needing talented kids, and making THEM feel important part of achieving mutual goals. And that starts from the head coach, and is sold by talented salesmen.

It's the sort of message that gets replaced by a hubris of "I've made it and I'm a big shot, and you're lucky if we decide we want you." That's a message that leads directly to a lack of top end recruits, and a bunch of middle-rung, willing to tow the line.

Also, watcher, why do you say UNH has been on a downward swing for 7 years? That is nuts to me- In 05 they had 26 wins, in 07 they had 26 wins, and in 08 they had 25 wins. No program in college hockey can say that is a downward swing. They havent missed the NCAA's in all 7 years you pointed out.
          Wins are a lagging indicator. When you have the pre-2002 talent in place, 2005 (when they're juniors) will always be a lagging indicator. Take a look at the post 2002 recruiting classes, and you'll see the decline, year by year.
          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 10-17-2009, 01:49 PM.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

Watcher, my wife mentions McCloskey leaving to take over the women's team as a huge moment that turned the tide for recruiting.

Said he was a master recruiter.
            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Well, he learned from Grant Stanbrook, and has the ability to make kids feel special and part of the team.

Not a coincidence that the women's program has been top 5 since he moved there.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
                Im going to agree with watcher here, some of you fans are ruthless. First off, Miami is 1 in the country, and they should be. They were a 1 minute shy of a national championship last year, and they have returned all the key players from that team. People need to get off umile's back here, last february UNH expected to have Borque, Dries, White, Reid, and possibly JVR in the lineup tonight. Even with those guys there would have been a learning curve, but it would stil be much better. White and Reid couldnt get into school, how is that umile's fault? Dries did some things that were not acceptable in any program, JVR signs- the only one you can blame on the coaching staff is borque as he chose something else over UNH.

Also, someone mentioned that BU, Maine, and BC will always sellout...Have you ever been the a BC game? That place is half empty no matter who they play.

Also, there is a trend here- UNH has been very good the last 12 years, this year and last year were a bit of downers, but before that they were usually always winning 25-30 games a year. Is it Umile's fault? Bottom line is it is harder for him to get the talent he used to be able to, why? Facilities sell. People on this board are praising Blasi, someone even mentioned he should get umile's job. Do you think he is just an amazing coach, or do you think the brand new building hes got has something to do with the sharp increase in success Miami has been having? I think hes a solid coach, but if he was still playing in the same rink with no plans for a new one, miami would still be middle of the road. .
                That would be me! I appreciate another enthusiastic fan's p.o.v. but hold on, my mention of Blasi taking the helm at UNH is not areflection of Umile in the least. I like what Umile has done for our program. If we weren't competive yr in and yr out, I'm not sure half of us would even follow the team the way we do. The fact is at some point in the future he's going to retire. Blasi is young, and new building or not the program has been on an rocket ship for the past 4-5yrs. It's been rumored that UNH, if and when, would look to another D1 head coach to take over. That said, Blasi is a great option if that is the case. There are several other great options.. but that's all I'm saying, I'm not trying to push Umile ot the door at all. For having to compete against the Michigan's, No.Dak's Minny's, DU, yes, Maine, BC and BU.. Umile's got a fantastic tack record. Would we like to have seen more success.. well, sure. And, yes, I think he is also a pretty darn good coach. While their league is not as deep as Hockey East they still compete against Michigan, MSU, and the Irish and his team has excelled. I've seen Miami several times over the last few seasons in Manchester and Worcester as well as a few games on the tube and his team is always ready to play.

We've beaten the recruiting thing like a rented mule over the past few yrs. UNH has had some **** poor luck. Had daddy Ray B. not worked a deal w. Roy.. Ryan would be skating for the 'cats. While I don't like how it all occured, fact is, I'd probably play for my Hall of Fame, legend old man for a few yrs too. Does it set the program back 2yr.. I don't think so. I think it opens up opportunity for guys like Block and Borisenok and McCarey, etc..

Also, when did we hear that Reid couldn't get into school. He was hardly 18yrs old at the start of the school yr. Now he's developing one more yr in BC. He's going to come in with Leleggia and Downing.. 2 other member of Canada Team West. when was the last time UNH had any kids on a team Canada, never mind three coming in, in the same class?
                Last edited by i'zonprize; 10-17-2009, 02:39 PM.
                GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  No. They got better when they brought in a new coach who could spread the story of needing talented kids, and convincing them they could be important parts to an up and coming program. That occurred in 1987 with the old rink, with Kullen convincing four NHLers to join him (Kevin Dean, Winnes, Plavsic and Scott Morrow, along with All-Americans Amodeo, Mitrovic and Flanigan).

It was the same motivation once Umile took over in 1990. Same reason Maine got better in 84, and Northeastern regrew its program in 2006. It's a new coach who can easily explain his need for "his guys" to help him raise the program. Its passion in needing talented kids, and making THEM feel important part of achieving mutual goals. And that starts from the head coach, and is sold by talented salesmen.

It's the sort of message that gets replaced by a hubris of "I've made it and I'm a big shot, and you're lucky if we decide we want you." That's a message that leads directly to a lack of top end recruits, and a bunch of middle-rung, willing to tow the line.

Wins are a lagging indicator. When you have the pre-2002 talent in place, 2005 (when they're juniors) will always be a lagging indicator. Take a look at the post 2002 recruiting classes, and you'll see the decline, year by year.
                  Are wins a lagging indicator of recruiting? sure, I can agree with that. However, that doesnt explain the 26 and 25 win seasons that took place in 07 and 08- those were all borek's recruits.

Kullen recruiting 4 NHLers and kick starting the program? That I dont agree with...Of the 4 NHL'ers you mention, only 1 of them knows what an NCAA tournament is, and that would be Morrow, and he didnt play in the tournament until Umile's second year. Also, 4 "NHLer's" is quite the comment. Are we really going to call Morrow (4 games) and Winnes (33 games) NHLers? Also, plavsic played 1 year at UNH and left. Dean at 331 is an NHLer, but even 331 games isnt enough to qualify for NHL pension, you need 400. Jamie Fritche has played in 1 NHL game, hes hardly an "NHLer".

Do I think a coach can be motivated and jump start a program? Yes I do, do I think you can do it year and year out without the money and facilities to back it up...nope. That motivation can get you some players, and can even make a team gel and have some success, but once that program without the money and facilities has a rebuilding year, it cant recover. One bad year in a mediocore place and talent doesnt want to show up. You mention Cronin at Northeastern- I think hes done a good job, do I think it "regrown"? I do not. This may sound bad, but I think Northeastern got lucky more than anything, Brad Theissen turned out to be the best goalie in college hockey, a gem that carried them, lets see how they do without him. I have a feeling you will be singing a different note about northeastern at years end.

Back to UNH, you can not argue that the rink did not have a huge impact on the program, wins started coming in much frequently after it was built. Even before it opened, you do not think Umile was selling, "the rink is getting built"? I really think coaching plays a big role, but my honest opinion is the NCAA's rarely get won by the best teams, one game isnt enough to truly decide, which is why its 7 games in the NHL. A recruit obviously loves to go to winning teams, but the bottom line is at the end of the day facilities sell. As if Notre Dame isnt good as it is, wait until after their rink opens.

Mcloskey had an easier job than borek- it is not hard to sell a brand new whittemore center. Someone mentioned in a earlier post- "UNH has a top 20 facility, dont use that excuse." I would agree with that, and they have had a top 20 team every year-but UNH fans arent happy with top 20. Like I said before, you want to compete with BU, BC, Denver, NoDak, Michigan, Wisco-then you need to be able to bring the recruits around and show them comparable locker rooms, gym, training room, etc. UNH had that in 97-03, they are not on the same field anymore.

Also, I would like to point out, from 97-03, UNH averaged 26 wins a year- from 04-09 they have averaged 23 wins a year, hardly a major drop, even with a decline in facilities. I think the coaching staff at UNH has done a great job, Im happy with the team, and Im happy to be a fan of team that is in the NCAA's year in an year out and gives us something to cheer about.

Comment

A
                    Mcloskey had an easier job than borek- it is not hard to sell a brand new whittemore center. Someone mentioned in a earlier post- "UNH has a top 20 facility, dont use that excuse." I would agree with that, and they have had a top 20 team every year-but UNH fans arent happy with top 20. Like I said before, you want to compete with BU, BC, Denver, NoDak, Michigan, Wisco-then you need to be able to bring the recruits around and show them comparable locker rooms, gym, training room, etc. UNH had that in 97-03, they are not on the same field anymore.

Also, I would like to point out, from 97-03, UNH averaged 26 wins a year- from 04-09 they have averaged 23 wins a year, hardly a major drop, even with a decline in facilities. I think the coaching staff at UNH has done a great job, Im happy with the team, and Im happy to be a fan of team that is in the NCAA's year in an year out and gives us something to cheer about.
                    I will bring some more conversation to the recruiting aspect later. Not tonight I don't want to pull that data.

However you have to get off this facilities thing. BU and North Dakota have beautiful new buildings. However one could argue the North Dakota was better pre the New Ralph. Denver's Magness Arena was built in 1997 it is 7,200 seat and not that much newer than the Whitt. BC’s Conte forum is a basketball facility they play hockey in, the atmosphere is pretty similar to UNH every time I have been there (maybe worse). Michigan is playing in Yost which 7,000 seats has been around forever; it has been renovated in 1996 and 2001 to keep pace. Wisconsin has the Khol center but the hockey team still gets pitched out to Dane County and they are busy working on a practice facility for hockey because they get kicked out so often.

These teams are not at the top end because of buildings. The Whitt may even be a top 10 facility. There is no reason for the Whitt to be an excuse for this team and the facilities are certainly not holding the hockey team back. University donors have provided a wonderful facility and to blame this teams problems on the build is just foolish.

These are my last comments on the adequacy of the facility. I doubt I will convince you and you certainly won’t convince me. The Whitt is not a reasonable excuse for this team or the reason it hasn't gone over the top!

Some notes to think about. BU was great in the early 90's when Blaise McDonald was the recruiter and rose again once David Quinn got that job; we will see Quinn's impact in a couple years. Maine didn't seem to have a problem with Alfond Arena under Walsh or Whitehead until Standbrook stepped back (then retired) from recruiting. UNH hit what I hope is a hiccup when McClosky went to the Women’s team. Sneddon doesn't seem to have issues getting talent to Vermont and I did know they build a new building...

It is all about coaching. Coaching finds and gets the players and nobody gets every player they want. Coaching sets up systems and teaches players including discipline to be where you are supposed to be.

Do you think it is a happy coincidence that least 3 Miami goals were scored this weekend off a shot from the point at just the right time so a double screen was moving in front of Foster? Some of that is talent, but team play like that is from coaching.

Note: I am not one of those fire Umile fools. There are some things I think UNH need to do different. I have no problem posting those thoughts. I also realize Umile has been excellent for the UNH hockey program and there is a reason my view is from the stands.
                    Last edited by JB; 10-17-2009, 10:37 PM.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                      I will bring some more conversation to the recruiting aspect later. Not tonight I don't want to pull that data.

However you have to get off this facilities thing. BU and North Dakota have beautiful new buildings. However one could argue the North Dakota was better pre the New Ralph. Denver's Magness Arena was built in 1997 it is 7,200 seat and not that much newer than the Whitt. BC’s Conte forum is a basketball facility they play hockey in, the atmosphere is pretty similar to UNH every time I have been there (maybe worse). Michigan is playing in Yost which 7,000 seats has been around forever; it has been renovated in 1996 and 2001 to keep pace. Wisconsin has the Khol center but the hockey team still gets pitched out to Dane County and they are busy working on a practice facility for hockey because they get kicked out so often.

These teams are not at the top end because of buildings. The Whitt may even be a top 10 facility. There is no reason for the Whitt to be an excuse for this team and the facilities are certainly not holding the hockey team back. University donors have provided a wonderful facility and to blame this teams problems on the build is just foolish.

These are my last comments on the adequacy of the facility. I doubt I will convince you and you certainly won’t convince me. The Whitt is not a reasonable excuse for this team or the reason it hasn't gone over the top!

Some notes to think about. BU was great in the early 90's when Blaise McDonald was the recruiter and rose again once David Quinn got that job; we will see Quinn's impact in a couple years. Maine didn't seem to have a problem with Alfond Arena under Walsh or Whitehead until Standbrook stepped back (then retired) from recruiting. UNH hit what I hope is a hiccup when McClosky went to the Women’s team. Sneddon doesn't seem to have issues getting talent to Vermont and I did know they build a new building...

It is all about coaching. Coaching finds and gets the players and nobody gets every player they want. Coaching sets up systems and teaches players including discipline to be where you are supposed to be.

Do you think it is a happy coincidence that least 3 Miami goals were scored this weekend off a shot from the point at just the right time so a double screen was moving in front of Foster? Some of that is talent, but team play like that is from coaching.

Note: I am not one of those fire Umile fools. There are some things I think UNH need to do different. I have no problem posting those thoughts. I also realize Umile has been excellent for the UNH hockey program and there is a reason my view is from the stands.
                      Im tired, so Im not going to go on too long here. I never said the building was the cause for UNH's problems, because I dont think UNH has problems, I think they are doing great.

BU has a whole city to sell. There is a difference between playing in Boston and Durham. BC, I agree, their rink isnt that great, but come on really? You actually are going to say UNH is on par recruiting wise with Michigan and BC? That is comical- also, its not just the rink Im referring to when I say facilities, its the locker room, lounge, weight room, and training room. Have you ever seen BC and Michigan's?

And since when did vermont start getting all the talent you are referring to? I know they went to the FF last year, but lets be honest, their regional to get there was a gift, they have hardly outperformed or out recruited UNH.

My whole point is that the UNH's coaches have done a really good job with what they have- and what they have is declining, not them.

This year I think if UNH makes the NCAA tourney it will be arguably the best coaching job Umile has done. If he can lose 5 expected players, dries, JVR, white, reid, and bourque- and still make the NCAA's, well then those guys did one hell of a job! Yet im sure UNH fans dont see it that way, if they dont win it all watcher and the bunch will want some of the coaching staff fired...

Comment

Im tired, so Im not going to go on too long here. I never said the building was the cause for UNH's problems, because I dont think UNH has problems, I think they are doing great.
                        Is it Umile's fault? Bottom line is it is harder for him to get the talent he used to be able to, why? Facilities sell. People on this board are praising Blasi, someone even mentioned he should get umile's job. Do you think he is just an amazing coach, or do you think the brand new building hes got has something to do with the sharp increase in success Miami has been having? I think hes a solid coach, but if he was still playing in the same rink with no plans for a new one, miami would still be middle of the road. Another example, wasnt BU sputtering from 2000-05? Jack Parker just a supierior coach, or do you think the new rink, gym, locker room, and everything else that his new rink has to offer have anything to do with the increase success an national championship? bottom line is facilities sell, and UNH can not even compete with BU right now, they are getting whatever recruits they want. Its no shocker Maine has fallen out of the loop, Its not whiteheads fault, who would want to go to school up there? Maine and UNH are in a similiar position, and I fear that UNH will be were Maine is right now in about 5 years if they do not update their facilities. If they care so much about the hockey program they need to put a new locker room in, lounge, gym, etc. Thats what the recruits want, and the recruits win games, blah....blah....blah....
                        HUH???
                        sigpicSouthern New Hampshire University '95

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        On a side note, when I found this video I also found some highlights of CC smoking BC in St. Louis. It was even worse than I remember. My God what an abortion that night was. Wow!

Comment

and on a much less negative note the 'Cats played really well tonight, foster was shaky again but the team showed a lot of heart to come back and pull out the tie against a team like miami. overall i am quite happy with the game tonight and i think it could be a great way to spark a momentum burst going into next weekends big conference games against northeastern and maine.

Comment

BU has a whole city to sell. There is a difference between playing in Boston and Durham.
                            There are many hockey kids that don't want the city. You need to figure out early if the kid wants to be in City. If they do you move on to somebody else. UNH does have the advantage of the train; you can go into the city if you like. That doesn't do much for the kid who wants to be in City but can help with those that would like to visit.

You need to sell to your strength. I have been told many B.C. kids are comfortable at UNH because it "feels" like home. That is an advantage UNH has with those kids. From B.C. it is a plane ride to an NCAA school so UNH vs. North Dakota vs. Denver vs. etc isn’t that hard a sell from the “close to home piece”.

You actually are going to say UNH is on par recruiting wise with Michigan and BC? That is comical- also, its not just the rink Im referring to when I say facilities, its the locker room, lounge, weight room, and training room. Have you ever seen BC and Michigan's?
                            No I wouldn't say UNH is on par with BC and Michigan on all kids. I am a proponent of understanding where you stand in a kid’s eyes and moving on. I would not have waited on Wey, it was fairly obvious to me he was going to go to BC, and I only read the published articles. UNH should not have been pulling a Lloyd Christmas with Wey.

As for facilities for the hockey team I would say UNH is on par, from what I have seen. I have not been in Michigan’s or BC’s locker rooms but I have seen plenty on the inside of those facilities.

My whole point is that the UNH's coaches have done a really good job with what they have- and what they have is declining, not them.
                            I like Umile but I am not sure they have done a really good job in recent years. I think there has/had become a sense of we are there. Maybe not over that last hump but NCAA tournament every year, and the kids will come.

I also the loss of McClosky (who at one point had a residence in B.C.) was a big hit to a strong area for UNH. Lassonde and Borek are both more familiar with the USHL and Ontario, where they have contacts. Don’t under estimate contacts, I don’t think it was a coincidence that UNH had in roads to the National Development team while Foley was there.

To the facilities, I completely disagree. What they have, I have not seen declining, actually the friends recently gave money to improve the weight lifting area. That facility is not holding the team back and it is a foolish excuse.

This year I think if UNH makes the NCAA tourney it will be arguably the best coaching job Umile has done. If he can lose 5 expected players, dries, JVR, white, reid, and bourque- and still make the NCAA's, well then those guys did one hell of a job! Yet im sure UNH fans dont see it that way, if they dont win it all watcher and the bunch will want some of the coaching staff fired...
                            I completely agree that getting to the NCAAs will be a great coaching job; I believe Umile has shown he is capable of this task in the past.

However, I don't let the coaches off the hook over the 5 player hit. That hit would not be so hard to take if there hadn't been some "thin" classes in the last few years. Those classes belong to this staff; they didn't just show up and inherit this rebuilding project. They were steering the ship as it came to pass.

But as always there is reason for hope. Paul Thompson looks to have found IT - he had regressed last year but was one that played well this weekend. Campanale played well against Miami, he is Junior but doesn't even have a full season of ice time yet, it would be nice if he is a surprise. Borisenok has shown an ability to score points and that is a plus.

This team should be fun to watch, if they grow.
                            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

I think if you've ever followed the recruiting thread, and/or the recruiting website, you might very well have read, regularly, that UNH competes w/ BC and more recently UVM for top tallent. And that UVM has been on an upswing recruiting wise for say the last 2-3yrs, regardless of their FF appearance.

Very entertaining game tonight. UNH is always a much better team when they push the play, which they did for nearly 2 full periods and OT tonight. Got messy at times, yes, but D stood some guys up, lots of white jerseys on the ice blocking passing lanes etc. Was a fun night. Really like how Henrion likes to finish his checks. Maybe it will rub off!

Any word at all on Captain, Peter LeBlanc? He did not look good calapsing to the ice. Hip or knee? He appeared to not want to put any weight on the left leg at all. Hope he's all right.
                              Last edited by i'zonprize; 10-17-2009, 11:44 PM.
                              GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNHHKYRKS View Post
                                and on a much less negative note the 'Cats played really well tonight, foster was shaky again but the team showed a lot of heart to come back and pull out the tie against a team like miami. overall i am quite happy with the game tonight and i think it could be a great way to spark a momentum burst going into next weekends big conference games against northeastern and maine.
                                I didn't think foster was that shaky.

I couldn't tell on the first Miami goal. My seat was behind the Miami shooter and I couldn't even see foster through the traffic (2 Miami players + 2 UNH players). No idea how he would be able to see that puck. I didn’t get a clear view after the puck went into the crowd.

There was a similar goal in the 2nd in front of my seats. Same deal 4 players between Foster and the shooter. I don't believe he could even see the puck.

Then there were 2 Miami goals where the center (or a rotating wing) lost his guy in the slot for a one timer.

That's four goals that I don't think Foster had a prayer of saving.

The one I think he owns tonight is the rebound at the top of the crease in the 2nd he didn't control. The other 4 his defense left him out to dry.

Comment

Working...
                                X