Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Aah. The first full day of autumn. The leaves are just starting to change. You can find candy corn for sale again. My #20 Christian Hanson Leafs jersey was shipped today. (smiley. hearts.)

The Drop the Puck thingy is 2 weeks away. The first game is a mere 3 days after that. I'm cautiously quite optimistic about this season.

ND returns 8 of its top 10 scorers. Also returning are the top G scorer (Calle Ridderwall), the top guy for assists (Kevin Deeth), the top 2 PPG scorers (Ridderwall and Billy Maday), and the top 4 guys in +/-. Deeth (95 points) and Ryan Thang (92 points) will join the century club, maybe even by the end of the first month of the season. It is also quite possible for Kyle Lawson (68), Brett Blatchford (54), Ben Ryan (53) and even Dan Kissel (49) and Ian Cole (46) to reach "3/4 of a century."

I believe only 2 of us listed potentials for the upcoming season. IHF's pick for surprise stud was Ben Ryan, for impact-laden freshman was Kyle Palmieri and captains were Lawson, Thang, Teddy Ruth and Ryan. My pick for surprise stud was Ryan Guentzel, for impact frosh was Riley Sheahan and captains were Lawson, Thang, Cole and Kissel.

I know there are a few more posters out there who can take educated guesses. Hell, uneducated guesses are fine.

Here's to a fantastic season, boys. As the Irish say, "Adh mĂłr ort."
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

With a talented team returning and a great group of freshmen coming in, there is plenty of reason to be excited. The above post showed all the scoring returning, but Im excited to have 5 of 6 defenseman back and all have tremendous talent and upside. If the Irish get solid goaltending, they have a great chance to take full advantage of what could be a bus trip NCAA Tournament run to Fort Wayne and Detroit.

Comment

Deadline to RSVP for the Drop the Puck thingy is Friday.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
        Aah. The first full day of autumn. The leaves are just starting to change. You can find candy corn for sale again. My #20 Christian Hanson Leafs jersey was shipped today. (smiley. hearts.)
        Looks like Christian needs some help.

After many rejected nicknames, the winner came to Christian Hanson in a flash after he and Ryan Bozak and Viktor Stalberg just completed another high-energy shift.

"The Frat Pack," Hanson said proudly. "You know, like Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack.

"We hadn't come up with a good one yet. That's your job (the media). Maybe we should hold a contest."

Call them what you will -- a Sun reader suggested Highway 86 in honour of their shared birth year -- the Maple Leafs trio of NCAA grads has been one of the delights of camp for coach Ron Wilson.
        Seriously, the three have looked pretty good together in the Leafs preseason games.

In addition to playing together, they're sharing an apartment in downtown Toronto.
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
          Seriously, the three have looked pretty good together in the Leafs preseason games.

In addition to playing together, they're sharing an apartment in downtown Toronto.
          I wouldn't want to be that landlord!

While I also loved the energy of the Hanson-Bozak-Stalberg line, I fear that Christian may not start with the Leafs now that they got Phil Kessel...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
            While I also loved the energy of the Hanson-Bozak-Stalberg line, I fear that Christian may not start with the Leafs now that they got Phil Kessel...
            Kessel will start the season on the injured list. He won't be ready until at least November. Bozak may be in more jeopardy because he has a bigger cap hit, though I am pretty ignorant about the Leafs cap situation.

Who's been playing center on the college line? I still have trouble picturing Hanson on the wing, especially because he was so good on faceoffs.
            Notre Dame Hockey
            Reigning Big Ten Champions
            Reigning CCHA Champions
            Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
              Kessel will start the season on the injured list. He won't be ready until at least November.
              While I never root for an injury, that may bode well for Christian for a while.

Originally posted by ND Hockey
              Who's been playing center on the college line? I still have trouble picturing Hanson on the wing, especially because he was so good on faceoffs.
              I don't like him as a wing either (to me it looks like he's not sure where to go out there), but centers have to be such fast skaters I guess they thought he'd do better on the sides. IIRC, Bozak is centering that line.

Comment

Christian puts me in a tough spot, has been so much fun to watch him grow as a hockey player and chat with he and his father a few times. Now, he is a member of the hated Hogtown Maple Laffs and as a lifelong Habs fan, this pretty much sucks. Conflicted isn't the word.

Was nice to get the email saying the season tickets are on the way....Finally.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEnder65 View Post
                  Christian puts me in a tough spot, has been so much fun to watch him grow as a hockey player and chat with he and his father a few times. Now, he is a member of the hated Hogtown Maple Laffs and as a lifelong Habs fan, this pretty much sucks. Conflicted isn't the word.

Was nice to get the email saying the season tickets are on the way....Finally.
                  Better seeing CH in blue & white than bleu, blanc et rouge!

Leafs coach Ron Wilson wasn't impressed by the trio after last night's 3-2 loss in Buffalo:

The ragged effort by the Leafs, who were outshot 18-5 in the first period, included some serious line juggling by Wilson. For much of the night, he had the so-called Frat Line of Tyler Bozak, Christian Hanson and Viktor Stalberg separated, though they were reunited in the third period.

"I think they've slowed down quite a bit," Wilson said of the line of NCAA college grads. "They're just swimming, trying to survive training camp, let along make our team."
                  Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Just a few more days now. And to think there are what, maybe 40 more games to go in the Joyce before this program finally calls a different place home. Still a little hard to believe.

Comment

Is that Regan #43 for the Sens I am watching on the NHL network right now? If so good for him, great kid, hope he gets a chance on the roster, from what I remember he went to Las Vegas to play ...if someone can fill me in it would be much appreciated…

Comment

Originally posted by Irishhockey View Post
                        Is that Regan #43 for the Sens I am watching on the NHL network right now? If so good for him, great kid, hope he gets a chance on the roster, from what I remember he went to Las Vegas to play ...if someone can fill me in it would be much appreciated…

Not the one you're thinking of. Ottawa's is Peter Regin, been in the Sens system for a couple of years now. Garret Regan had a short stint with Las Vegas, but I'm not sure it led to anything.

Comment

Anyone want to take a stab at lines this year? I usually don't care to do that, and I think the first month will see some juggling, but I'm curious because ND technically has 4 centers and like 33 RW's. Who are the wingers that will move to the center?

My guesses for lines would be:
                          1. Ridderwall (smiley. heart.)-Deeth-Maday
                          2. Thang-B. Ryan-Palmieri
                          3. Kissel-Gaul-Guentzel
                          4. Larson (Murphy is also a LW)-Sheahan-Minella (Nugent and R. Ryan are also RW's)

Defensive pairs could be:
                          1. Cole-Lawson
                          2. Blatchford-Ruth
                          3. Calabrese (Ringel and Condon saw time last season though)-Lorenz

13 days.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                            Not the one you're thinking of. Ottawa's is Peter Regin, been in the Sens system for a couple of years now. Garret Regan had a short stint with Las Vegas, but I'm not sure it led to anything.
                            Yeah, after I posted that and took another sip of beer I realized I was wrong....

Comment

Originally posted by Irishhockey View Post
                              ...took another sip of beer...
                              See, you're not drinking enough!

Comment

Working...
                              X