Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Saw that you can watch the BC/Notre Dame game online for free via your website - do the games also get archived and are they still free? I'll be covering another game and would love to be able to watch after I get home.

Thanks.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
    HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
    HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Hey guys never been out to ND, wondering what the scalping scene will be tomorrow? I know it's a small arena but with the pep rally going on..

Comment

Originally posted by btg1204 View Post
        Hey guys never been out to ND, wondering what the scalping scene will be tomorrow? I know it's a small arena but with the pep rally going on..
        If you mean hockey, you may find someone outside of gate 3 selling a ticket or 2. If you mean FB, you'll likely see many people up and down 31 (near the toll road entrance) selling/buying tickets.

Originally posted by mwade
        Saw that you can watch the BC/Notre Dame game online for free via your website - do the games also get archived and are they still free?
        Yes and yes. (I don't see why it would change for this game...)
        "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
          If you mean hockey, you may find someone outside of gate 3 selling a ticket or 2. If you mean FB, you'll likely see many people up and down 31 (near the toll road entrance) selling/buying tickets.
          Yeah I'm talking hockey, already have tickets for Saturday. Thanks.

Comment

They're a slow starting team...They're a slow starting team...They're a slow starting team...

There were flashes of that slow starting team coming together tonight. Then there were flashes of that slow starting team starting slowly.

Just a few other comments before I make myself sick on Reeses PB cups... I don't normally blame the refs for a loss, since one play usually does not lose a game for a team, but that take down just to the side of John Muse that didn't get whistled is sticking in my craw. I believe that would've been a goal, had the ND player (don't even remember who...) been allowed to remain standing and actually touch the puck. But alas, this is a team sport and the team lost.

I'm still waiting for more on-ice communication. This team has got to stop throwing the puck somewhere where their teammates are not. I don't care if that teammate was not where he was supposed to be. Look up the ice. If I have a second on the ice to look around in my beer league games, I know these guys have at least that much time... Along these lines is my desire for better passes...to guys in white.

I never thought I would be the type of fan to yell the following: "Shoot the puck!" Especially when you are up a man. Especially on a goalie who is not 100%. I don't want pretty. Hell, if I wanted pretty, I'd see a plastic surgeon. I just want shots on net, with a few that make it to the back of the net.

Wasn't impressed with the play of anyone, least of all the defense.

Was impressed to see the Regans and the Whites. Hope to see you guys again.

Next week starts league play, boys. Get it together.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
              I don't normally blame the refs for a loss, since one play usually does not lose a game for a team...
              And yet here you are. Let's not forget the 8 penalties to 4 edge that ND had. On a consolation note, now the football team will win since the hockey team lost a regular season game to BC.
              Originally posted by mookie1995
              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Once again this team looked sort of lost from the jump. Inconsistent passing again was a big problem. One shift it seemed like there were crisp passes, the next, it look as if the boards were the intended target. BC won so many battles along the boards as well. The Eagles also had a lot of success between the bluelines on pucks up for grabs. Most startling to me is perhaps the fact that this was yet another game lost late. Not as late as the first two, but still deep into the third period. Against a team playing just its second game I would really have expected Notre Dame to be in much better game shape in the third, even with the mid-week game. Hasn't this team spent the better part of the three previous seasons owning the third period? For BC Whitney played great (obviously) assisting on the go-ahead goal and scoring the game winner, but I thought Mullane also skated great. Don't think he played as much as the other centers but when he was on the ice he was in the middle of everything and everything.

Its time for Notre Dame to get it together. I refuse to believe that whatever the problems are they cannot be fixed. There should be no way that conditioning is an issue, even with the third period woes. Not with this team and the reputation Jackson and the strength coaches have. And the talent level is certainly high enough to have won all three of the games they lost. As well, Jackson and his associates haven't forgotten how to craft a game plan and make adjustments. Maybe another team meeting? Probably not. Should it take two team only meetings to get these guys to put it together? While it is only six games, 6 games is enough to make a fair evaluation as it represents 1/6 of the regular season. Sort of like seeing where your baseball team is after a month of games. My evaluation? It could go either way. Play to the levels of their capabilities and they could just as easily reel off one of the those long win/unbeaten streaks we've seen them do. Continue to struggle as they have and the only Notre Dame people in Fort Wayne in March will be wearing suits.

Comment

Was it just me or did anybody else see Wes O'Neal,s ghost wearing No 3 jersey on the ice, last night.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Nice photos and website, M Wade.
                    CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Sec2, Row 13, Seats 5,6,7 View Post
                      Was it just me or did anybody else see Wes O'Neal,s ghost wearing No 3 jersey on the ice, last night.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
                      Yeah, Blatch's play has left something to be desired (I think that was your point) but I think in all honesty there are but two guys on this team who have played 60 minutes of acceptable hockey all year, Tommy O'Brien and Mike Johnson. Every other guy has either looked TOO much like the Freshmen (or inexperienced sophs) they are, or Seniors and Juniors are playing like they did as Freshmen and Sophomores.

IMO I think the issue here is the team is carrying too much weight on their shoulders from a couple of things; Last year's awful exit from the NCAAs, and their desire to prove without a doubt and completely conclusively that the BSU game WAS a fluke. I see poor play resulting from too many people trying to make THE play. "I gotta score a goal here" or "I have to make the perfect breakout pass to catch them in a line change." To use a cliché, everyone is gripping the stick a little too tightly. I'm not in the lockerroom or their heads, or have the seasoned eye for the game that these coaches have, but I haven't seen any loafing in either games or practices, which is a good thing. To borrow a phrase from Mike Babcock, and mix it up a little, when talent works, talent eventually wins.

My message to the boys is what it always is: Play focused. Play smart. Play YOUR game.

Comment

should congrat Brad Phillips for CCHA goalie of the week

still a long way to go, but my heart is all for this team
                        Irish Hockey is my first and only religious belief
                        and my faith never dies

Comment

On top of Brad Phillips getting the goalie kudos, we should be giving century kudos to Kevin Deeth. Once again, he quietly (isn't that an ironic thing to say about him? ) has 5 points in the first 6 games thus far, which gives him an even 100 on his career. Here's to another 30 or so points to tack on for good measure!

Deeth is joined by Ben Ryan (6 points), Calle Ridderwall and Billy Maday (5 each) as the leading scorers on the team in the early going. ND's is averaging 2.33 goals/game. Not really likin' that. They give up an average of only 1.67 goals/game. Likin' that. Notre Dame has 14 guys who've registered at least a point so far after 6 games.

ND is still averaging more penalties than their opponents (though I expect that to change soon). They average 6.3 penalties/game. ND's PP is slipping. It's effective 15.8% of the time now. Their PK, though, is still strong at 93.5%. 5 different players have PPG's, led by Ridderwall (duh).

The biggest question mark will be in net... My guess is that Phillips (2.27 GA, .918 save %) will get at least one night. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Johnson though.

OSU, who has also played 6 games, is led by Sergio Somma, Shane Sims and Zac Dalpe, who each have 4 points. OSU is averaging 2.17 goals/game, while they give up 2.5 a game. They have 16 guys who have at least a point.

OSU also takes more penalties than their opponents; however, they are averaging only 5.7 penalties/game. OSU's PP is anemic at 8.8%. Their PK isn't much stronger. It's working 83.3% of the time. They have 3 players who each have a PPG.

OSU has split time in net between Dustin Carlson (3.04 GA, .908 save %) and Cal Heeter (1.68 GA, .947 save %). Heeter earned the shutout win against Denver, so he's no slouch. My guess is the two continue to split time in net, at least this weekend. IIRC, Carlson was a slow starter, but finished strong for them last year.

Each team has a "signature win" and some less-than-stellar losses.

(Remember that Halloween's game is at 5:00.)

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...either way, you're right. Let's come out strong, boys.

Comment

JJfP, how come there's not a regular USCHO arena reporter at the Joyce? I was very surprised to be tabbed to cover our games up there.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              JJfP, how come there's not a regular USCHO arena reporter at the Joyce? I was very surprised to be tabbed to cover our games up there.

GFM
                              If I was going to guess, I would say because no one who follows ND hockey has offered. I doubt USCHO is trolling for arena reporters anywhere but on the site. JJfP is capable. I'm capable, but I'd never do it because you can't cheer in the press box OR yell "hey (fill in the referees name) your mom called. She said you suck!" For years they generally have taken the ND sports information article.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                                If I was going to guess, I would say because no one who follows ND hockey has offered. I doubt USCHO is trolling for arena reporters anywhere but on the site. JJfP is capable. I'm capable, but I'd never do it because you can't cheer in the press box OR yell "hey (fill in the referees name) your mom called. She said you suck!" For years they generally have taken the ND sports information article.
                                I am living proof that you don't have to sit in the press box to recap games. I never do it at home, and I only sat in the presser part of the time I was in South Bend [on Friday only because I knew Paula Weston was upstairs, and I wanted to catch up with her].

If any one is interested in doing it, I'll put you in touch with the right people.

GFM
                                Last edited by gfmorris; 10-28-2009, 11:14 AM.
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X