Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    We're going to need to both win out the regular season and do something (not sure how much) in the CCHA tournament.

Every regular season result short of a win will increase how much we need to do in the tournament.

At this stage, we might almost be better off if we finish around 5th or 6th, hopefully get a good enough first round opponent to pad our RPI, though we would then also need to beat a decent team on the road in the second round.
    As things stand now at least it looks like no CCHA win will need to be thrown out of the RPI calculations. Of course that is only because Notre Dame's own RPI is a little lower than we're used to seeing it.

Before the first puck dropped on the season I would have said a fifth place finish in the CCHA would have been extremely disappointing. As January winds down I'd have to say I'd be overjoyed with a fourth place finish.

My guess is winning out in the regular season would probably be enough to finish in 4th. But since that probably isn't going to happen (hey I did say probably ) I wonder how many losses will doom a chance at the first round bye? I would think anything less than an 8-2 finish would probably leave 4th place out of the mix. I think the best we can hope for is winning all 3 home games left, beating the two last place teams on the road, and hopefully taking at least 5 of the 9 points in the road games against Lake State and Michigan.

Any way you slice it, this is still a real deep hole for this team to work out of. We sweated out a late night waiting for that first tourney bid in 2004. Hopefully we'll at least have a chance on March 20th. Now we're spoiled, but it is more fun to exceed expectations than struggle to live up to them.

Comment

Congratulations to Nick Larson and Kyle Lawson for picking up weekly honors.

http://www.catcountry999.com/crew/crew02.php

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
        We're going to need to both win out the regular season and do something (not sure how much) in the CCHA tournament.
        That's not only disheartening, but a mighty tall order. Not impossible to scale...but tall...

If any team has the talent to do it, it's this team.

(In the not-too-distant past, the team stepped up in fine fashion when its leading scorer went down with a season ending injury...IIRC, dished out by the same opponent) ND is now led by Calle Ridderwall in points, goals and PPG's. He has 19 points, 13 of which are goals, and 9 of those are the man-up variety. Kyle Lawson follows (I don't know why, but I hate it when defensemen are in the top 2-3 in scoring on a team...) with 18 points. ND has 9 guys in double digits in scoring. LSSU is led by Rick Schofield with 23 points. Close on his skates are Will Acton and Zac MacVoy, each with 20. The Lakers have 8 guys in double digits. After those first few, the teams are pretty interchangeable in point totals.

ND scores a healthy 20.4% of the time on the PP, while going 89.4% on the PK (2nd in the country). Ridderwall (9 PPG's) and Ryan Thang (6) lead ND on the PP. ND has scored 31 PPG's and allowed only 13 while scoring 2 shorties and allowing only 1. LSSU's PP is close to ND's at 19.3%. Their PK is also close at 86.2% (11th). They are led by Chad Nehring with 6 PPG's. They've scored 23 PPG's and given up 16. They've also scored 5 shorties while allowing 3.

ND's D is 6th in the country, allowing 2.27 G/game. They're scoring 2.38 G/game. Still anemic, but improving. LSSU allows 2.65 G/game while scoring 3.0 G/game. While it was nice to see Brad Phillips come in and do well for ND against MSU last weekend, Mike Johnson should be in net. His GA is 2.17 with a save % of .922. Brian Mahoney-Wilson has played the vast majority of games for the Lakers, and I assume that will continue as he garnered goalie of the week honors in the league this past weekend (as mentioned by NDHockey9, ND also earned honors for Lawson and Nick Larson). His GA is 2.59 with a save % of .917.

Once again, aside from one or two significant stats differences, the teams are quite similar. To (sort of) quote The Wolf from Pulp Fiction, "...so pretty please, with sugar on top...win the f*#@ing games."
        "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post

ND scores a healthy 20.4% of the time on the PP, while going 89.4% on the PK (2nd in the country).
          If this team was as successful 5-5 as they are on special teams they'd be scoring 5 goals a game and would be without a loss... well, maybe not that good, but you get the point.

While it was nice to see Brad Phillips come in and do well for ND against MSU last weekend, Mike Johnson should be in net. His GA is 2.17 with a save % of .922.
          I think Philips is going to get a start this weekend.

Comment

Can it be? For the first time in weeks it seems we are going into a weekend series without a new injury (that we didn't already know about).

Lake State has a tough, tough finish to the season, back-to-back weekends with the top of the CCHA, series left against a lot of good teams, tough road trips... Notre Dame can overtake them in the standings by the end of the year, especially with a great showing this weekend. We need 5 points at minimum this weekend. It feels like anything less than that on any given weekend and we can eliminate a first round bye. My hope is that final weekend of the season against UM still has fourth place as a possibility. There isn't a game left on the schedule that isn't winnable. Make your own luck boys.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
              Can it be? For the first time in weeks it seems we are going into a weekend series without a new injury (that we didn't already know about).

Lake State has a tough, tough finish to the season, back-to-back weekends with the top of the CCHA, series left against a lot of good teams, tough road trips... Notre Dame can overtake them in the standings by the end of the year, especially with a great showing this weekend. We need 5 points at minimum this weekend. It feels like anything less than that on any given weekend and we can eliminate a first round bye. My hope is that final weekend of the season against UM still has fourth place as a possibility. There isn't a game left on the schedule that isn't winnable. Make your own luck boys.
              I don't believe in jinxes, but I thought once you get your guys healthy, you'll make a run. I see U-M and ND playing the last weekend of the season for the 4th spot. UA and LSSU have tough schedules, and the teams below us have brutal schedules. I could be wrong, but I think that outside of the top 3 teams, anything can happen. Hard to say who I want to win this weekend...

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                I don't believe in jinxes, but I thought once you get your guys healthy, you'll make a run. I see U-M and ND playing the last weekend of the season for the 4th spot. UA and LSSU have tough schedules, and the teams below us have brutal schedules. I could be wrong, but I think that outside of the top 3 teams, anything can happen. Hard to say who I want to win this weekend...
                If it comes down to it, the CCHA did a good job with the scheduling. What a weekend that could be, home and home, a couple of senior nights, winner gets a week off.

Comment

Congrats to Calle w/ his 2nd hat trick of the season! They said 6 is the highest number of goals in a game this season...! Does anyone know what the highest goals in a game is ever? someone asked me tonight and I thought I would ask!
                  Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

Holy crap. Ryan Thang. On fire. Again. Patrick Gaul. First goal. Kevin Nugent. First point. Calle. Calle. Calle.

Now this is stepping up to help out your fallen (former) leading scorer.

1 down. 9 to go.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1 View Post
                      Does anyone know what the highest goals in a game is ever? someone asked me tonight and I thought I would ask!
                      For ND? In the "modern" era (my lifetime), ND has scored in the double digits many, many times. 15 was the upper limit...and this was even against "real" teams.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1 View Post
                        Congrats to Calle w/ his 2nd hat trick of the season! They said 6 is the highest number of goals in a game this season...! Does anyone know what the highest goals in a game is ever? someone asked me tonight and I thought I would ask!
                        I consider the records in WCHA/CCHA seasons to be the ones that matter most (at all, really) and in the 31 seasons in which Notre Dame competed in either league 14 was the most goals scored, in 1971 against Boston College. I believe the Notre Dame record book has the record at 18 and it was either in the pre-dawn era or the 1980s during the independent era. And yes I know counting the current season it is only officially 30 seasons in either the CCHA or WCHA but I consider the 1971-72 season to be worthy, as we were probationary members of the WCHA and played a WCHA schedule.

Comment

It goes without saying that was one of the best -- if not THE best effort on the season. One sure way to avoid third period woes is to lay up a 5 spot in the second and take a 5 goal lead into the last period. Scoring 6 against a team like the Lakers is not easy. They are on you pretty closely the whole night and when they aren't, they still usually tend to keep things pretty clogged up in all the good shooting areas.

Notre Dame relentlessly forechecked most of the game and was constantly looking to finish both their checks and chances the entire game. Once they got things rolling in the first they totally dominated for 30 minutes. The shots came a little easier in the third for Lake State, but only a couple were of the quality scoring chance variety.

Congrat to Calle for another hattrick, to Ryan Thang on another great game and to Pat Gaul for his first goal and Kevin Nugent for his first point. THIS is the Notre Dame hockey team I have been waiting to see since March.

Comment

So another concussion and another player out. According to the USCHO arena reporter recap Cole left the game after being hit from behind and missed the remainder of the game, and it sounds like he will miss today as well.

What in the world is going on with all the head shots? I think it is time for some frontier justice. You take out one of our guys, we're taking out one of yours. No cheap blind side shots where our guys can hide behind "you have to keep your head up" or retaliatory hits from behind. Drop the f@#$^ng gloves and beat the living crap out of the responsible party. And if the responsible party has already been tossed out of the game by a ref, pick the best player left on the bench and do the job on him. I don't care if it costs us a skater for the next game. Better to miss one guy who is healthy and can come back for the next game than have yet another guy missing multiple games, or the rest of the season, for more post-concussion trouble.

I am tired of this. I don't like to hide behind injuries as the reasons for disappointing seasons, but only a fool would think it hasn't played a huge role in Notre Dame being just one game over the .500 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                              So another concussion and another player out. According to the USCHO arena reporter recap Cole left the game after being hit from behind and missed the remainder of the game, and it sounds like he will miss today as well.

I thought they said Cole was back out on the ice after his hit. I listened to it on the radio and after he was taken off the ice a couple minutes later they had said he was back out on the ice. I could be mistaken or he may have gone off the ice after that.
                              Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

Cole did return moments after the hit. Im sure his ice team was reduced in the 3rd due to the score. Condon played in the 3rd period and Im assuming he took Cole's minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X