Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

These split weekends are a pain. Even worse when its Thursday/Sunday and not Friday/Sunday. It almost seems like 2 different series. Hopefully if the Irish get a lead in the third they hold onto it this time. Hopefully they manage at least 3 goals today too, even though MSU is only giving up 2 a game.

Something positive has got to start happening for this squad. But for that to happen the appointed leaders of this team need to remember the simple but profound order by Norman Schwarzkopf: When placed in command - take charge.

Comment

I wish I were WATCHING the game...

I think they had a much better 3rd stanza
      Is this the same Brad Phillips?
      CALLE!!! (smiley, heart)
      It's great to see the freshmen energy
      4 goals... thanks god, finally...

Hard work rewards
      Irish Hockey is my first and only religious belief
      and my faith never dies

Comment

im sure you noticed phillips didnt have to work that hard. shot total was a mirage, and n.d. completely shut us down defensively btwn the circles. most complete team spartans have faced. congrats.

Comment

I wasn't able to listen to it all on the radio but from what i did hear, there was a lot of ND clogging up the slot and shooting/passing lanes. Many times it would seem that we were gonna get a great opportunity just to have the pass or shot tipped wide or blocked. Probably the first series all year we haven;t been able to generate a lot of quality chances on net. Too bad we have to face you guys again later because it was frustrating this time around.

Comment

As this is the anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy, I have to first ask the hard questions: What does it say about the team when they play the best game I've seen this season while their captain sits in the stands? And what does it say about the team when their captain is benched by the coach who earlier in the season stated that he could abuse the refs, his players couldn't? Wearing a letter on your sweater entitles one to talk to the refs, but I gotta ask, "What on earth did the captain say to get the misconduct?!"

Okay, the 3rd degree is over.

I am quite pleased with the play of the team today. From the goal on out. Riley Sheahan continues to impress, especially with the blast from the point. Calle Ridderwall scored one of the prettiest goals going thus far, while getting 2 points on the night. Joining him in the multi-point category were Kyle Lawson, Billy Maday and Kevin Deeth. Kyle Palmieri got a hard-working goal (that he must have tipped in because I thought Ben Ryan had it...), and the rest of the team played smart, played hard and earned this nice victory over a strong MSU team full of some killers (who, BTW, were held to one point each the whole weekend).

The team cycled the puck very well and took care of business when they got the puck. I think on the night, they only gaffed twice with the puck. Unfortunately, a guy in green was there to scoop it up. Fortunately, the players regrouped and helped out Brad Phillips. They blocked shots, killed penalties smartly and took what seemed like more than 16 shots.

The reward for a job well done is the opportunity to do it again. Oh, and some pumpkin pie.
            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

I will say MSU didn't look as good these last two games as I expected. But they did hold ND to 1 goal Thursday and just 16 shots today, so they were somewhat effective in their gameplan, but shot total aside, Notre Dame did pretty much control the tempo of this game from the outset. Was happy to see 4 goals, finally, so they managed to fulfill one of my wishes from my earlier post. And anyone happen to know why our captain was nowhere near the ice for this one? I know the team had a morning skate in Fort Wayne but he didn't appear to be injured to me.

All in all it was a good effort out of Notre Dame this weekend. 5 of 6 points from the CCHAs hottest team outside of Big Rapids is OK, and they seemed to be a little more in synch than I have seen up to today. Perhaps 4 games with Ruth back in the lineup was what it took.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                As this is the anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy, I have to first ask the hard questions: What does it say about the team when they play the best game I've seen this season while their captain sits in the stands? And what does it say about the team when their captain is benched by the coach who earlier in the season stated that he could abuse the refs, his players couldn't? Wearing a letter on your sweater entitles one to talk to the refs, but I gotta ask, "What on earth did the captain say to get the misconduct?!"

Okay, the 3rd degree is over.

Except according to all the boxscores I've seen, most importantly the official sheet from the CCHA, Thang didn't receive a separate misconduct Thursday. His total for the game was 17 minutes, 2 for a rough minor, 5 for his CFB and the generic 10 minutes added to all players who receive a game misconduct. Cole got the same thing -- 15 minutes -- for his later CFB major. All players who get a game misconduct for whatever reason see 10 PIMs for the call. With Minella, his 10 minutes was simply sit in the box for 10 minutes, the more traditional 10 minute misconduct.

Comment

I love the recaps and evaluations from box scores and how the Irish weren't good enough.

For those who went..you know that the Irish scored the Ridderwall's goal in transition after forcing a turnover. Transition hockey is what this team has been striving to better and has been misssing from their game. The 3rd goal by Riley Sheahan was the Irish doing the dirty work. They put shots on goal and outworking MSU for the puck..eventually Lawson hit Sheahan in the slot for the one timer goal. The puck was put in the perfect spot for Riley to rip it. The Irish didn't need to pressure offensively after going up 3-1 ..they waited for MSU to overplay the puck and countered and did a great job of keeping MSU out of the middle of the Irish zone. Plus..the Irish showed improved patience by cycling and waited for a chance to pounce. 2nd period..could have better as a couple of penalties gave MSU a chance to get back in the game.

The Spartans excellent goal chances could be counted on one hand. The defense of ND is the last 5 games has started to settle in...even the period with 3 goals by Alaska in game 2 of that series wasn't great but wasn't awful as the Nanooks scored a baseball swing goal and a empty netter. Tropp was not a factor in the series and his line was red hot coming into the series. THe Irish defense did a pretty nice job against one of the nation's hottest line as the line scored only a rebound goal in 2 games. Tip of the hat to Lawson for outworking 2 MSU players for the puck setting up the empty netter for Deeth after an unselfish pass by Mayday who could have scored.

Phillips probably wants the only goal back but the puck at the left point was passed and hit I believe Ridderwall's stick..went straight up in the air where #9 Leveye (sp) pounced on the puck at the bottom of the face off circle and roofed it.

The improvement from game 1 to game 9 was minimal...but from game 10 to game 14 has been significant as the offense is getting a little better in terms of chances. The improvement may not show up in the goal column but the work ethic has been good which can only mean better things are ahead.
                  Let's hope they keep it rolling against the upstart Falcons..can't overlook them with #1 Miami coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                    And anyone happen to know why our captain was nowhere near the ice for this one? I know the team had a morning skate in Fort Wayne but he didn't appear to be injured to me.
                    As what's said in the radio, Thang was out due to "upper-body injury"
                    Irish Hockey is my first and only religious belief
                    and my faith never dies

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                      Except according to all the boxscores I've seen, most importantly the official sheet from the CCHA, Thang didn't receive a separate misconduct Thursday. His total for the game was 17 minutes, 2 for a rough minor, 5 for his CFB and the generic 10 minutes added to all players who receive a game misconduct. Cole got the same thing -- 15 minutes -- for his later CFB major. All players who get a game misconduct for whatever reason see 10 PIMs for the call. With Minella, his 10 minutes was simply sit in the box for 10 minutes, the more traditional 10 minute misconduct.
                      If it wasn't for "abusing the refs," I have to assume it was to send a message. I just assumed he went too far in pleading his case.

Edit: Yue answered it for both of us...
                      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Troll alert, JJFP! Troll alert, JJFP!!

Do not mind me when I say it is downright embarrassing for someone who fashions herself an expert beyond reproach to not know that a 5-minute checking from behind penalty brings with it an automatic 10 minute muisconduct penalty. Do you really watch the games, JJFP, or do you go to games just to chit chat with your girlfriends? Have you never seen a checking from behind penalty called or have you just been doing your finger nails every time one was called? I am embarrassed for you for even thinking that "the captain" got a 10 minute misconduct for anything but the check from behind, let alone for mouthing off to the ref. You can discount me as a troll, JJFP, but you have discounted yourself with the ignorance you demonstrate in order to haul off on "the captain." And somehow linking your comments to the anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy, well, if your venom was not so apparent, I would just wonder what brilliant analysis you were making that I could not comprehend. Alas, it was just a potent combination of venom and ignorance. But don't mind me, I'm just a troll.

And don't mind me, JJFP, when I say you compound your ignorance by assuming (and you do know what they say you make yourself when you ASSume, JJFP, don't you?) that "the captain" was benched by the coach to send a message to the team. When it turns out that "the captain" didn't play because he was injured, your ASSumption, in fact, made you into one. You may be happy "the captain" was injured, but your ASSumption revealed your personal animus. But don't mind me, I'm just a troll.

So, from your embarrasingly ignorant, malicious and faulty premise of the misconduct penalty followed by the benching to send a message, it is no great leap to link those wrong assumptions to the team's best performance of the season. Is your point to relieve "the captain" of the 'C' or that the team's best lineup is with "the captain" sitting in the stands? You are the expert, JJFP, and I am just a troll, you tell me.

Your feelings about "the captain" have been known, JJFP, but the depth of your dislike is clearly revealed by the embarrassing ignorance upon which you will rely to launch an assault. Hard to imagine what the kid has done to warrant your nasty personal attacks, oh wait, he took two minor penalties late in a game once. With fans like you, the team doesn't need to play road games.

I am embarrassed that I am a troll, JJFP. You, however, should be absolutely humiliated.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Comment

Having no idea one way or the other, I will only say that coaches can come up with some clever reasons to sit players if they don't want a big deal made of it by fans and media.

"Upper body" or "Lower body" injury are the ones sometimes chosen.

Also, after a player has gotten a 5 and 10, would the refs feel it necessary to give another 10 for arguing?
                          Embrace the hate.

Comment

I am very sorry, I didn't realize Thang got a 5 minute checking from behind penalty, the accompanying 10 minute misconduct and then another 10 minute misconduct penalty for yapping ("pleading his case," as JJFP says). I thought he only got the 5 and 10.

That is my mistake. I should have read the box score more carefully, then I would have known he got 25 PIMs, not just 15. Honest mistake, as I'm sure JJFP's errors were.

In my defense, I'm only a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
                              I am very sorry, I didn't realize Thang got a 5 minute checking from behind penalty, the accompanying 10 minute misconduct and then another 10 minute misconduct penalty for yapping ("pleading his case," as JJFP says). I thought he only got the 5 and 10.

That is my mistake. I should have read the box score more carefully, then I would have known he got 25 PIMs, not just 15. Honest mistake, as I'm sure JJFP's errors were.

In my defense, I'm only a troll.
                              I'm not saying he got another one, I haven't even looked at the box score.(Edit: Looks like 17 PIM on Thursday) I'm only asking if a ref would even have added another 10, as it wouldn't have made one bit of difference. Also, perhaps the coach heard something on the ice he felt crossed a line?
                              Last edited by nmu_27; 11-23-2009, 01:13 PM.
                              Embrace the hate.

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
                                I am embarrassed that I am a troll, JJFP. You, however, should be absolutely humiliated.

Happy Thanksgiving.
                                dude, come down off the ledge...take it easy would ya, try working out, going for run; anything to get out of mom's basement and away from the computer. You have some anger/inferiority issues....

Comment

Working...
                                X