D3 Preseason Captain's Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 Preseason Captain's Practice

Just wondering how the various D3 teams conduct there preseason captain's practice. As far as Norwich is concered I believe that the team is involved in dry land training right after school starts and skate's once a week starting in September. I don't believe that coaches can be involved and must stay away until the official start of practice which is different for almost all the D3 leagues.

I would be interested in the NCAA guildines for these practice's if anyone is familar with them. The whole subject interested me since Plattsburgh has a game scheduled against a strong Canadian U team a couple of days after the official start of practice. From what I have seen there is no contact or coaching instruction at these practice's and represent only a small part of the team building process.
    2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
    2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Re: D3 Preseason Captain's Practice

Plattsburgh starts dry land shortly after school starts as well. the team started skating last monday without any coach's, and they will continue to skate daily until the start of actual team practice. the coaching staff is not allowed in the rink during captains practices.
    Jim Reisdorf
    Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post

I The whole subject interested me since Plattsburgh has a game scheduled against a strong Canadian U team a couple of days after the official start of practice.
      Concordia is rebuilding and carries relatively few ex Major Jr and ex minor pro guys compared to most CIS teams. If you look at their roster mainly Jr A and Prep guys. http://athletics.concordia.ca/interc...y/roster.shtml ... basically a Dlll lineup. The advantage will be Concordia's as they will have been in full practice mode for a month and a half. I for one am looking forward to this one and hope to make it to Plattsburgh ( never thought I would say that... )]as I know many of the guys on both teams. It will be interesting as Concordia plays McGill and McGill plays Harvard and other Dl squads. Sounds like an Adrian pre AQ discussion but nonetheless.
      Last edited by doncheery; 09-22-2009, 12:16 PM.
      "just another internet gangster"...PSUChamps

"you can only be as good as your coach will let you be" Ray Ferraro

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
        Just wondering how the various D3 teams conduct there preseason captain's practice. As far as Norwich is concered I believe that the team is involved in dry land training right after school starts and skate's once a week starting in September. I don't believe that coaches can be involved and must stay away until the official start of practice which is different for almost all the D3 leagues.

I would be interested in the NCAA guildines for these practice's if anyone is familar with them. The whole subject interested me since Plattsburgh has a game scheduled against a strong Canadian U team a couple of days after the official start of practice. From what I have seen there is no contact or coaching instruction at these practice's and represent only a small part of the team building process.
        Per NCAA rules, the term 'Captain's Practice' is not allowed to be used when describing guys getting together and practicing/working out. The accepted venacular is 'voluntary individual workouts'. 'workout' could mean a game of kick ball or the guys buying ice at a nearby arena as long as it's not required and the coaches are not present.

The NCAA says the term 'captain's practice' implies requirement to particpiate.

Check out this page, it contains all the answers your looking for in scrambled wording.
        WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
        NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
        WIAC Championships: 10-11
        NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
        NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevilRadio View Post
          Per NCAA rules, the term 'Captain's Practice' is not allowed to be used when describing guys getting together and practicing/working out. The accepted venacular is 'voluntary individual workouts'. 'workout' could mean a game of kick ball or the guys buying ice at a nearby arena as long as it's not required and the coaches are not present.

Check out this page, it contains all the answers your looking for in scrambled wording.

It's not allowed for institutions to use it in official releases, but the NCAA has no oversight whatsoever regarding fans using the commonly accepted term. Every team in the nation is having "captain's practices" right now, and whether we call it that, "voluntary individual workouts" or "pink fluffy bunnies with cinnamon buns on top" is irrelevant. Everyone knows what it means regardless of the NCAA's feel-good approach to long-used terminology.

Naturally there are some that need to heed the bureaucratic drool in the regulations you posted, but the casual, or diehard, fan of DIII certainly is not included in those that do.
          Last edited by Matthew Webb; 09-21-2009, 10:30 PM.
          “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
          19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
            It's not allowed for institutions to use it in official releases, but the NCAA has no oversight whatsoever regarding fans using the commonly accepted term. Every team in the nation is having "captain's practices" right now, and whether we call it that, "voluntary individual workouts" or "pink fluffy bunnies with cinnamon buns on top" is irrelevant. Everyone knows what it means regardless of the NCAA's feel-good approach to long-used terminology.

Naturally there are some that need to heed the bureaucratic drool in the regulations you posted, but the casual, or diehard, fan of DIII certainly is not included in those that do.
            Can I nominate 'Voluntary Hannah Montana's' as an accepted term here on the board?
            WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
            NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
            WIAC Championships: 10-11
            NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
            NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Can I nominate 'Voluntary Hannah Montana's' as an accepted term here on the board?
              Heck, start a thread. "What's the best newfangled term we can come up with for 'captain's practice'"?"

I can only imagine the replies would be amusing.
              “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
              19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post

Correct... basically, as long as no member of the coaching staff is present, the players can do whatever they want.

...and when I say "coaching staff," strength & conditioning coaches are NOT included as part of said staff, so you can have a team trainer take the players through "voluntary" workouts as well.

Comment

I really like "pink fluffy bunnies with cinnamon buns on top" , seems more PC. Ever get the feeling the NCAA makes rules that serve no useful purpose just because they can.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadison View Post
                    I really like "pink fluffy bunnies with cinnamon buns on top" , seems more PC. Ever get the feeling the NCAA makes rules that serve no useful purpose just because they can.
                    I liked it until the thought of the frosting melting off the buns and into the fluffy fur ruined it

For the record, the NCAA defines Captain's Practice's as (see here, page 270):
                    On-court or on-field activities called by any member(s) of a team and confined primarily to members of that team that are considered as a requisite for participation in that sport absent of coaching staff members. Such activities are considered athletically related activities.
                    Note, “allowable practice season” aside, being "considered athletically related activities" (sanctioned) is an important factor in determining legal liability, should injury or damage be done during such activities.

Note, the following activities shall not be considered athletically related (see here, page 122):
                    (a) Administrative and academic activities that are nonathletics in nature (e.g., academic meetings and compliance meetings); (Revised: 1/9/06, 10/17/06)

(b) Fundraising and community service activities not involving the use of athletics ability by student athletes to obtain funds provided the activities receive approval from the institution’s chancellor or president (or his or her designee) prior to the activity (see Bylaw 12.5.1.1 for restrictions on promotional activities); (Revised: 10/17/06, 7/24/07)

(c) Observation of an officiating clinic related to playing rules that is conducted by video conference and does not require student-athletes to miss any class time to observe the clinic; (Revised: 10/17/06)

(d) Observation of enrolled student-athletes in organized competition (e.g., summer league), provided institutional athletics personnel do not direct or supervise the organized activity; and (Revised: 10/17/06)

(e) Voluntary individual workouts monitored for safety purposes by strength and conditioning personnel. If the strength and conditioning coach is also a coaching staff member for one of the institution’s intercollegiate teams, the monitoring may occur only if that staff member performs monitoring duties for all student-athletes using the facility at that time. (Revised: 10/17/06, 1/14/08 effective 8/1/08)
                    Last edited by norm1909; 09-22-2009, 09:37 AM.
                    Larry Normandin
                    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

ah yes, more ncaa bureaucrat bs. these guys need to get out of their glass cased fortress in indy, live a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Iranger View Post
                        ah yes, more ncaa bureaucrat bs. these guys need to get out of their glass cased fortress in indy, live a little.
                        Two types of people end up on "Bureaucratic Committees": a) a few with a sincere love of the sport and appreciation for student athletes and find the time to contribute, realizing that if they don’t things will get really bad and unfortunately, b) those "know-it-all" egotistical jerks who care about nothing more than patting themselves on the back and promoting themselves, that come up with and bully through most of the “bs” policies found throughout life.
                        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

What if the ice is provided to them for free on campus is that acceptable in terms of the NCAA language?

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
                            What if the ice is provided to them for free on campus is that acceptable in terms of the NCAA language?
                            As noted above "On-court or on-field activities called by any member(s) of a team and confined primarily to members of that team that are considered as a requisite for participation in that sport absent of coaching staff members", the "court" in this case is the rink, and it is acceptible as not breaking the "off-season" training, so long as it is "absent of coaching staff members".
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Supposedly there were 78 sightings of "pink fluffy bunnies with cinnamon buns on top" activities throughout the Northeast and upper Midwest today, some going on as early as 5am, others happening as we speak. Dont tell anyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X