Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spirit Lake Resolution on Sioux Nickname!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirit Lake Resolution on Sioux Nickname!

Today Spirit Lake passes resolution for perpetual use of Fighting Sioux nickname.
    Per Grand Forks Herald text alert at 7:53 pm.
    Perpetual meaning to last an eternity!!! Great News!!!

Go Sioux!!!

Re: Spirit Lake Resolution on Sioux Nickname!

Originally posted by siouxfan1 View Post
    Today Spirit Lake passes resolution for perpetual use of Fighting Sioux nickname.

Go Sioux!!!
    Still means you have to somehow defeat Ron His Horse is Thunder.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Before someone asks, UND still needs the approval from Standing Rock. The ND Board of Higher Ed will almost certainly need to push back their October 1 deadline for that to happen. Who knows if that will happen.

As far as Ron His Horse is Thunder, Standing Rock is having tribal elections on September 30 and it looks likely that RHHT will lose the election for Tribal Chariman as the preliminary election to narrow the candidates down to two went something like 750 to 230 with RHHT recieving the 230. The man who received 750 is supposedly pro nickname.
      Last edited by Dirty; 09-18-2009, 08:31 PM.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by siouxfan1 View Post

Go Sioux!!!
        Great news! Hope The Fighting Sioux Nickname will survive after all!
        sigpic
        Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Comment

Excellent news indeed.
          Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

I'll drink to this.

Sorry though I thought the current Standing Rock tribal leader was Looks Gifthorse in the Mouth.

Comment

FIGHTING SIOUX FOREVER !!!!!

thought for the day

I wonder if there will ever be a day where politcal correctness will just go away!!
              Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/134015/

Nickname opponents had said the earlier resolution merely said that there was an election and a majority of tribal members supported the nickname -- 67 percent voted "yes" in April -- but did not state that the council was also behind the nickname.

The new resolution left little room for doubt. A key provision says: "The Tribal Council hereby amends tribal resolution No. A05-09-186 and affirmatively approves and supports UND's use of the current nickname and related imagery, and hereby confirms Spirit Lake Tribe's full permission for UND to continue using the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo and the duration of this authorization shall be perpetual commencing Oct. 1, 2009."
                Wow. Great news. Now the ball is in Standing Rock's court...
                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  Before someone asks, UND still needs the approval from Standing Rock. The ND Board of Higher Ed will almost certainly need to push back their October 1 deadline for that to happen. Who knows if that will happen.

As far as Ron His Horse is Thunder, Standing Rock is having tribal elections on September 30 and it looks likely that RHHT will lose the election for Tribal Chariman as the preliminary election to narrow the candidates down to two went something like 750 to 230 with RHHT recieving the 230. The man who received 750 is supposedly pro nickname.
                  God I hope RHHT loses that election.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Great news. Good luck.

Comment

Got my fingers crossed.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        God I hope RHHT loses that election.
                        He almost certainly will lose the election. The million dollar question is "is it too late?" The board of higher education still may stick by their self-mandated October 1 date for both tribes to grant their approval. I see Standing Rock holding a referendum sometime after the election and would be surprised if the results aren't the same as Spirit Lake. But I think that the board is too swayed by PC to allow the nickname to continue, and the need to get the teams into the Summit Conference will get into the way of doing what the vast majority of people want to happen. Pure BS.

Here's the full article:

The Spirit Lake Tribal Council today issued a new resolution that gives UND the "perpetual" use of the Fighting Sioux nickname, according to nickname supporters from the reservation.

In a statement, Eunice Davidson, a pro-nickname activist, said she felt that a previous resolution of support had been misconstrued by nickname opponents. The new resolution would leave no doubt where the Tribal Council stood.

Nickname opponents had said the earlier resolution merely said that there was an election and a majority of tribal members supported the nickname -- 67 percent voted "yes" in April -- but did not state that the council was also behind the nickname.

The new resolution left little room for doubt. A key provision says: "The Tribal Council hereby amends tribal resolution No. A05-09-186 and affirmatively approves and supports UND's use of the current nickname and related imagery, and hereby confirms Spirit Lake Tribe's full permission for UND to continue using the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo and the duration of this authorization shall be perpetual commencing Oct. 1, 2009."

The council also added this: "UND is entrusted with the responsibility of working cooperatively with the Spirit Lake Sioux Tribe to increase the number of Native American graduates from Spirit Lake and to create a Native American program on UND campus which will bring about an air of respect and understanding amongst all students, faculty and staff at UND."
                        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Florida State Seminoles
                          Central Michigan Chippewas
                          It can be done.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                            He almost certainly will lose the election. The million dollar question is "is it too late?" The board of higher education still may stick by their self-mandated October 1 date for both tribes to grant their approval. I see Standing Rock holding a referendum sometime after the election and would be surprised if the results aren't the same as Spirit Lake. But I think that the board is too swayed by PC to allow the nickname to continue, and the need to get the teams into the Summit Conference will get into the way of doing what the vast majority of people want to happen. Pure BS.
                            Then we need to get Jeff Probst to give them the vote results...

"The tribes have spoken...SIOUX YEAH YEAH!!!"
                            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                            Originally posted by Quizmire
                            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr1 View Post
                              FIGHTING SIOUX FOREVER !!!!!

thought for the day

I wonder if there will ever be a day where politcal correctness will just go away!!
                              It might in about 3 1/2 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X