PDA

View Full Version : NMU 2009-2010 Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

NMU8405
10-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes!!!!

Let's keep going to the JOE and finishing in 3rd place every year because there is no alternative and we all accept it!!!

10 years since we've made it to the NCAA's !!!! Yippee!!!! We "almost" made it!! Good Job Boys!!!

Whoo hoo!!!!!

Three cheers for mediocrity!!!!

...or we could run a program like American International and not even contend year in and year out. Id rather win 20 games every year and just miss the NCAAs then watch my team win 5-6 games a season.

NMUFAN
10-13-2009, 09:30 PM
BWK, please use your vast expertise to show us the way to improve the program. Simply firing the coach will not accomplish that and may well send the program in the other direction. Mediocrity? I guess when compared to Michigan or Minnesota or Notre Dame. Now how is it that these schools and others like usually finish above NMU nationally? Is it better coaching? Did Rick Comley all of a sudden morph into a better coach at State? Now compare NMU to other western schools of its I'll. Now the results are far from mediocre. Change does not assure improvement. It only quiets your keyboard til the new guy loses three in a row and you start blasting the administration for hiring him.

And that's all I have to say about that.

davyd83, this post and your post before this one should be made into a giant poster and nailed above every urinal in every gay bar that BWK frequents. Of course, that's assuming he uses the urinal and is not in a bathroom stall doing something else.

aparch
10-13-2009, 09:31 PM
And that's all I have to say about that.

How about Don Granato as the coach? The only thing going well for him is his sister has all the talent.

I'd gladly take Walt in Chicago.

Walt and Company is THE best for what NMU can afford. I fear that if it wasn't Walt in charge of the program, we might have been discussing our future as a Div I program instead of Alabama and Bowling Green.

Remember this Billy and BWK, the operating/scouting/recruitment/scholarship funds allocated by NMU have NOT been increased in a decade, yet the cost of travel, facilities, and recruiting competitiveness has increased tenfold.

I'd like to see either of you make your mortgage, utility payments, etc. with what you were earning a decade ago. I know I certanly cannot.

moose97
10-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Let"s take a look at " delusional."

2007-08 BWK says "fire Walt!" NMU doesn't. Cats go to the Joe.
2008-09 BWK says "fire Walt!" NMU doesn't. Cats go to the Joe.

Keep the streak alive!

Now most knowledgeable observers strongly agree that without Kyle, NMUs success rate looks more like Tech or Lake State than the 6 trips to the Joe in 7 years and the best winning percentage of any non D-IA school in the CCHA or WCHA over that time. Of course it's highly unlikely that BWK has actually conversed with any individual who has any real knowledge of the sport, it's landscape or inner workings to give his rants any credence. Some of the suggestion have included replacing the coach with an up and coming assistant or a D-III promotion. Sure, do that and spend a few years while he gets his feet wet winning 12, 14, 16 games a year. What an improvement! Hey, Dean Blais was available! But where do you find another $300,000.00 for salaries, assistants, recriting and improved travel which such a hire would require? Not one of the "fire" group can even come up with a plausible alternative that would be likely to improve the program within the confines of the school's budget, location and status. NMU gets more from it's resources than any other comparable program. Those who really do know what they are talking about agree, from the NHL, throughout college hockey, minor pro and junior hockey as well. The best man for the job is already here.

I'm with you on all of this, but have to ask - has someone done the math on the bolded park? North Dakota has averaged something like 26-27 wins a year over the last 7 years (NCAA appearance each year and 4 Frozen Fours) - and don't tell me they're all D-I - this is only their second year at all D-I, and are FCS for football, not the FBS (D-IA) you mentioned - and D-III Colorado College has to be pretty close to, with around 22 wins a year and one Frozen Four...

Now, that said, each school does have huge advantages over NMU for hiring coaches (UND being now a D-I school, and generating revenue from an 11,000 seat (nicest hockey rink in the world) "barn," and CC being a private school).

Either way, I'm just curious if the math had been done, and if it was true that NMU was one of the top 2-3 teams in the western conferences for win%, and that documentation was somewhere... If so, that would be pretty impressive.

hockeybando
10-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Yes!!!!

Let's keep going to the JOE and finishing in 3rd place every year because there is no alternative and we all accept it!!!

10 years since we've made it to the NCAA's !!!! Yippee!!!! We "almost" made it!! Good Job Boys!!!

Whoo hoo!!!!!

Ahem.

Why would I be calling for Walt's head when he's done nothing to warrant his firing?

RaceBoarder
10-13-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm with you on all of this, but have to ask - has someone done the math on the bolded park? North Dakota has averaged something like 26-27 wins a year over the last 7 years (NCAA appearance each year and 4 Frozen Fours) - and don't tell me they're all D-I - this is only their second year at all D-I, and are FCS for football, not the FBS (D-IA) you mentioned - and D-III Colorado College has to be pretty close to, with around 22 wins a year and one Frozen Four...

Now, that said, each school does have huge advantages over NMU for hiring coaches (UND being now a D-I school, and generating revenue from an 11,000 seat (nicest hockey rink in the world) "barn," and CC being a private school).

Either way, I'm just curious if the math had been done, and if it was true that NMU was one of the top 2-3 teams in the western conferences for win%, and that documentation was somewhere... If so, that would be pretty impressive.

Let me finish watching THE UNIVERSE and THE SIMPSONS, and I'll add up the numbers...

Billy Blanks
10-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Ahem.

I have not called for his firing this season. But I will if we don't make the NCAA's this year.

davyd83
10-13-2009, 10:24 PM
I ran the CCHA numbers at the beginning of last year and NMU actually had the 4th best record among ALL CCHA schools thru Kyle's first six years.

bigmrg74
10-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Yes!!!!

Whoo hoo!!!!!

The lack of playoffs since 1987 must also burn your biscuits as well eh Billy?? ;)

davyd83
10-13-2009, 10:31 PM
I ran the CCHA numbers at the beginning of last year and NMU actually had the 4th best record among ALL CCHA schools thru Kyle's first six years.

Billy Blanks
10-13-2009, 10:40 PM

Big freaking deal. How many times are you going to keep posting this year in and year out?

When was the last time we went to the NCAA's? Please post some facts on that. Regular season wins mean NOTHING if you can't make the freaking playoffs!!!!!!!

Geez Dave, I expect more out of someone like you.

Kyle has been Mediocre.

davyd83
10-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Yet you keep posting the same. Please show us how we can be consistently competitive with big time schools with big time budgets and big time exposure in big time markets? I don't have that answer. Neither do any of the other small time small budget schools. Nor do any of the truly knowledgeable people in the industry. Firing the coach is a crapshoot at best. There's a very slight chance it will payoff, but in all likelihood you leave your money
on the table. Do risk dropping the program into Western, Bowling Green, LSSU, Tech territory on the remote chance that your move will improve the program? And the chance is just that. Remote.

RaceBoarder
10-13-2009, 11:18 PM
For anyone that cares.... Here are the NON D-I Football schools of the CCHA since 2002-03:

UAA: 103-124-34, 2 trips to the Joe, 0 NCAAs
FSU: 120-124-31, 1 trip to the Joe, 1 NCAAs
LSSU: 81-143-43, 1 trip to the Joe, 0 NCAAs
UNO: 110-131-40, 2 trips to the Joe, 1 NCAAs
NMU: 141-121-26, 6 trips to the Joe, 0 NCAAs

I'm working on the WCHA schools now, and I will have those in a bit...

RaceBoarder
10-14-2009, 12:17 AM
For anyone that cares.... Here are the NON D-I Football schools of the CCHA since 2002-03:

And here are the WCHA NON D-I Football schools:

UAA: 67-156-35, 1 trip to the F5, 0 NCAAs
CC: 167-89-28, 4 trips to the F5, 4 NCAAs
MTU: 71-161-36, 1 trip to the F5, 0 NCAAs
MSU: 107-124-41, 1 trip to the F5, 1 NCAAs
UMD: 124-121-38, 4 trips to the F5, 2 NCAAs
UND: 186-91-27, 7 trips to the F5, 7 NCAAs
SCSU:131-116-31, 3 trips to the F5, 3 NCAAs

boot_walt_kyle
10-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Im not sure how they will do against Miami. Miami had to fight for wins against St. Cloud last week, and they head to Durham NH to play New Hampshire. A little more battle tested? Maybe. A little worn down? Maybe? We did play them extremely well in Miami last year, and if my memory serves me right we played a hell of two games against them two years ago. If there is one team I feel we can consistantly compete with, its Miami.

As for The Ohio State...they came into this season with loftly expectations after, I think, overacheiving last season. tOSU has lost to Western Ontario (ex) and got swept by Quinnipiac (who could have a huge year out in Atlantic Hockey). We traditionally do not preform well at Ohio State, but the lack of home ice support only helps NMU.

I think we are in agreement then, that NMU will play well and take at least 1 of the 2 games from Miami (who will be a top 10 ranked team) at the Berry. I fail to see how lake of home ice support helps NMU. Are you proposing that tOSU has a lack of fan support, or that NMU plays better on the road?

I think either way, historically over the past 6 years, NMU has not played well at Ohio St. and a sweep is not an overly terrible prediction. It's not like I predicted a sweep at home by wayne st. or Western (both of which occurred while I was at NMU). I think this team will finish with a winning record. My only problem is that we can accept mediocrity for only so long.

boot_walt_kyle
10-14-2009, 12:21 AM

To be totally honest I would take FSU over NMU any day. A chance to compete in the NCAAs at the highest stage is something that is unforgettable. In the WCHA grouping I would take SCSU, UMD, and UND. That is just me though, I tend to put much more emphasis on NCAA appearances than Joe Louis appearances. At least when you make that NCAA you have a chance at competing for an NCAA championship (see BSU last year)

edit: I forgot to type CC in my teams I would rather take. My bad.

davyd83
10-14-2009, 01:13 AM
Thanks Boot, one chance to see my team in Manchester or Bridgeport for a one and done beats six chances to see them play two at the Joe.

Ok let's say you get your way, coach is fired. Now how do you assure us that the program immediately moves from the bubble to the NCAAs? Show us what those that really know don't know yet. How do you guarantee improvement in the NCAA?

Wildpantswilly
10-14-2009, 01:16 AM
To be totally honest I would take FSU over NMU any day. A chance to compete in the NCAAs at the highest stage is something that is unforgettable. In the WCHA grouping I would take SCSU, UMD, and UND. That is just me though, I tend to put much more emphasis on NCAA appearances than Joe Louis appearances. At least when you make that NCAA you have a chance at competing for an NCAA championship (see BSU last year)

Did you know that if you win at the Joe you do in fact make it in the NCAA's?!

I know amazing right?!

BWK, I sincerely wish you didn't have internet access.

RaceBoarder
10-14-2009, 01:28 AM

So going to the NCAAs 1 year (and choking massively while there) followed by 6 seasons of 15 average wins and none of which where you had a chance at a post season game is better than NMU's current situation...

Oh, by the way NMU has averaged 20 wins, and has been in contention for the NCAAs for 3-4 of those years...

Yea, seems like a fair trade...

bigmrg74
10-14-2009, 02:11 AM

edit: I forgot to type CC in my teams I would rather take. My bad.You've clearlly have never been to Big Rapids, have you. :rolleyes: Marquette has more stuff going on around it than BR.