Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU 2009-2010 Season

Originally posted by Billy Blanks View Post
    Wow, this is a travesty. I knew he was having a great season, but I just looked up the rankings. HE'S IN THE TOP 5 IN THE NATION IN POINTS!!!

W T F?!?!?!

He's not even listed as someone we can vote for on the Hobey Baker website. Who do we blame this on? The NMU athletic department?

This reminds me of 2001-2002 when Chad Theuer had darn near a 60 point season and you would never had known that unless you were a student. NMU didn't make a push for him at all that year.
    If you are questioning the athletic department's commitment, you are way off base. Remember the backing they gave Tuomas Tarkki a few years ago. How do you know that they haven't been pushing Olver's candidacy? Are you a voter? Do you have a part in the nomination process? It's very likely that those that are a part of the process have received communication from NMU. Just because you weren't personally addressed doesn't mean it hasn't happened. The 10 finalists are chosen, for the most part, by a ballot of the 58 D-I coaches. The preliminary fan ballot plays a small part. Here is how it goes.

http://hobeybaker.com/vote/process/

That should clear things up a bit for you.
    Last edited by davyd83; 03-02-2010, 04:44 AM.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I'm sorry, but it just seemed like he wanted to pin the whole thing on the coaching staff and athletic department, when there's SO much more to it than that.
      I don't like so openly disliking a fellow member of this fanbase, but he's been so disagreeable, so hostile (anyone remember the NMU/Tech thread where there were no less than 10 posts in a row where the only thing he had to say were insults toward me?), and so straight up misogynistic... I can't help but wish his was a fake account, too...
      Always a Wildcat...
      Originally posted by Kepler
      If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

I've seen nothing on NMU's website regarding the fantastic season he's having, nothing in The Mining Journal, nothing in any NMU publication, nothing in the Alumni Newsletter.

If NMU's athletic department was making a concerted effort for this kid then we'd know about it. It can't just be something that you know about Dave, it should be a lot more highly publicized. We can't expect people to vote for a kid from NMU if they are only looking at stat sheets.

I see nothing wrong with questioning the Athletic Department. Why do you get so offended?

As for the comment directed at that "nice lady", she is the one that has started it with me several times recently, without anything being directed at her. She has made comments regarding my wife that were just as ridiculous and she left me neg rep saying that she wished my wife and kids were killed. I liked it better when she had me on ignore, this forum was a lot more fun. So with that being said, if she's going to act like a ****, I'm going to call her one.
        TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
          I'm sorry, but it just seemed like he wanted to pin the whole thing on the coaching staff and athletic department, when there's SO much more to it than that.
          I don't like so openly disliking a fellow member of this fanbase, but he's been so disagreeable, so hostile (anyone remember the NMU/Tech thread where there were no less than 10 posts in a row where the only thing he had to say were insults toward me?), and so straight up misogynistic... I can't help but wish his was a fake account, too...
          Please just put me back on ignore. I truly hate you too and I really enjoy everyone else from NMU that posts on here. It's better for the both of us if you just stop replying to anything I write and don't mention me.

Deal?
          TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Please just put me back on ignore. I truly hate you too and I really enjoy everyone else from NMU that posts on here. It's better for the both of us if you just stop replying to anything I write and don't mention me.

Deal?
            Ok, lets just leave it at that. Please? I dont want to wade through messages and messages of this banter.

Billy, on your thoughts on the lack of news from NMU, the Mining Journal, and various other sources... Its something we've come to expect. The Mining Journal doesnt employ many people, and even fewer in the sports section. And throw in the crisis and the transformation of media from print to online, even fewer jobs exist.

The NMU website, its not a secret, sucks. Its stuck in the time of the 1990s. Upgrades/changes could be on the way, but I'll save that for later I suppose.

Not to "Bash" on the UP of Michigan, but Its a place that is often overlooked, and NMU doesnt register a lot with national coaches. Im sure the AIC coach, or Bentley may not be fimilar with Mark Olver, Walt Kyle (but come on, who doesnt know Walt Kyle) or even NMU. There are a lot of moving parts in college hockey, and sadly being in a remote section of the US doesnt help us.

I have no doubt Olver will use this as motivation during the playoffs, and will show Andy Taranto who the real Hobey canidate is.
            Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
            1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
            2006-2007: 15-24-2
            2007-2008: 20-20-4
            2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              If you are questioning the athletic department's commitment, you are way off base. Remember the backing they gave Tuomas Tarkki a few years ago. How do you know that they haven't been pushing Olver's candidacy?
              Psssssssttttt... A LOT of the promoting of Tarkki during his Hobey run was done by me. The only thing the Athletic Department did was Godfrey told me to ask Cheryl for permission to hang the banner on the side of the Zamboni.

There was a steep drop off in promotions the following year with Oystrick's Hobey run because I felt that he wasn't having a Hobey Baker type season. Mojo even gave me hell for supporting Tarkki and not Oystie.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Oh and Oystrick was traded to the Ducks.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

We all realize that DaveyD has to censor his words carefully and he is no longer a critic of NMU on the second go round. So be it, but cheerleading and disecting every post on this message board by someone he disagrees with has been a little over the top and not very becoming.

That said, the folks in the athletic department probably don't even know what the Hobey Baker is!!!

While it is wonderful what this team has once again done in the second half the job is not yet over. Speaking with the players they know this and I truely believe they are focused on a greater result than years past and that has me excited.

Olver as a 1st team all conference pre-season selection hasn't snuck up on anybody in the know and he has delivered all season long. While he may not turns heads nationally at this point he should take home CCHA POY!!!

Comment

Good on ya NMU getting that last bye. Had a pretty good run the last 10 games there. And glad that you don't get to come to the Goggin again and knock us out.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      boo
                      hey ref! woop woop woop!

*warning* i'm a cynical, sarcastic, narcissistic, paranoid, insecure, overly defensive, napoleonic, insultive, emotionally and mentally unstable, brash, insensitive, apathetic, vulgar, egotistical, humourless, arrogant, passive aggressive ex-band nerd...may be hazardous to others.
                      *disclaimer* this is not a band endorsed post and signature.

Originally posted by MeanEgirl
                      You are the BEST NMU FAN EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
                        We all realize that DaveyD has to censor his words carefully and he is no longer a critic of NMU on the second go round. So be it, but cheerleading and disecting every post on this message board by someone he disagrees with has been a little over the top and not very becoming.

That said, the folks in the athletic department probably don't even know what the Hobey Baker is!!!

While it is wonderful what this team has once again done in the second half the job is not yet over. Speaking with the players they know this and I truely believe they are focused on a greater result than years past and that has me excited.

Olver as a 1st team all conference pre-season selection hasn't snuck up on anybody in the know and he has delivered all season long. While he may not turns heads nationally at this point he should take home CCHA POY!!!
                        I want to say congrats to NMU too, I for one never doubted that they wouldn't turn it around. Im also glad that all they "haters" and "doubters"have subsided. I echo jd's setiments on not having to see NMU back in oxford come march and hope to see you guys in Detroit!
                        Last edited by redhawkman10; 03-01-2010, 09:08 PM.
                        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          I just died a little inside.
                          Always a Wildcat...
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Oh and to the person who left me Neg Rep on the Billy-Picdiva thing...

No-Im not taking any sides. I dont want to listen to the both of you go back and forth and read through all the posts that are useless to NMU Hockey. Create a woofing thread if you care to continue this.
                            Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                            1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                            2006-2007: 15-24-2
                            2007-2008: 20-20-4
                            2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

From now on I am only going to comment on hockey, the hatch is buried.

As far as the Oystrick thing goes, I'm thrilled. I hope he can find a place on that squad. I'm in LA/Burbank/Anaheim twice a month, so I may actually get to see the guy play! Whoo Hoo!!! Oystie is my all-time favorite NMU hockey player, so I just want him to do well in the NHL, no matter what team.

Edit: Looks like he'll be staying with the Wolves though.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3969938
                              Last edited by Billy Blanks; 03-01-2010, 10:27 PM.
                              TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

I've seen nothing on NMU's website regarding the fantastic season he's having, nothing in The Mining Journal, nothing in any NMU publication, nothing in the Alumni Newsletter.

If NMU's athletic department was making a concerted effort for this kid then we'd know about it. It can't just be something that you know about Dave, it should be a lot more highly publicized. We can't expect people to vote for a kid from NMU if they are only looking at stat sheets.

I see nothing wrong with questioning the Athletic Department. Why do you get so offended?

As for the comment directed at that "nice lady", she is the one that has started it with me several times recently, without anything being directed at her. She has made comments regarding my wife that were just as ridiculous and she left me neg rep saying that she wished my wife and kids were killed. I liked it better when she had me on ignore, this forum was a lot more fun. So with that being said, if she's going to act like a ****, I'm going to call her one.
                                The coaches make the nominations. Those coaches aren't reading the Mining Journal, the North Wind or the alumni newsletter. They are basing their selections on what they have seen. The media plays no part in the nomination process. NMU does not have the PR machine to do what Alabama (ROLL TIDE!) did for Mark Ingram. Like I said, remember the push that was put on for Tarkki 4 years ago. They were behind him incredibly.
                                Last edited by davyd83; 03-02-2010, 04:43 AM.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X