NMU 2009-2010 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU 2009-2010 Season

Wow, this is a travesty. I knew he was having a great season, but I just looked up the rankings. HE'S IN THE TOP 5 IN THE NATION IN POINTS!!!

W T F?!?!?!

He's not even listed as someone we can vote for on the Hobey Baker website. Who do we blame this on? The NMU athletic department?

This reminds me of 2001-2002 when Chad Theuer had darn near a 60 point season and you would never had known that unless you were a student. NMU didn't make a push for him at all that year.
    TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      4th in the CCHA, 15th in the Pair Wise...Congrats NMU and thank you seniors!
      Agreed! Great second half once again by Walt and company. It's amazing that we were just one win away from 2nd place. Just goes to show how important every game is.

Go Cats!
      TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Site for those who want the Pairwise stats: http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankin....php?teamid=15

NMU wants to face Alaska as far as this goes, as that is the only way they flip that comparison, unless Alaska drops 2 to Western.

Only 4 comparisons I see that NMU would have huge trouble flipping.
        Embrace the hate.

Comment

After today's two games, NMU slips to 16 in the pairwise.

Comment

If your Cats take care of their buisness the way i know they can then i see no way that they don't make it to the ncaa's.
            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Blanks View Post
              Wow, this is a travesty. I knew he was having a great season, but I just looked up the rankings. HE'S IN THE TOP 5 IN THE NATION IN POINTS!!!

W T F?!?!?!

He's not even listed as someone we can vote for on the Hobey Baker website. Who do we blame this on? The NMU athletic department?

This reminds me of 2001-2002 when Chad Theuer had darn near a 60 point season and you would never had known that unless you were a student. NMU didn't make a push for him at all that year.
              Ahhh, there's the Billy we all know. Go starve your wife some more and calm down.
              Always a Wildcat...
              Originally posted by Kepler
              If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Interesting happenings in East Lansing with a senior (who was often a healthy scratch) leaving the team before Senior Night.

Here is a letter dispersed throughout the crowd at Munn. If nothing else, it made me laugh.

The Humiliation, and Destruction of One of many Hockey Players by the Michigan State Hockey Coaching Staff: Rick Comley, Brian Renfrew, and Tom Newton.

College hockey fans, here we are, it's senior week. Where we usually celebrate and say farewell to the seniors on the MSU ice hockey team. But this year is very different. The class of 2010 was meant to be eliminated by this coaching staff. Just look around the arena - the seniors pictures usually found on the entrance doors of the arena have been put in a very obscure place, and disrespected by erecting a booth to block them. With the exception of Sucharski, of course, who was hated by many of the players for the last five years, but coach loves him, so go figure?

The class lost a couple of players along the way, but three remained to be part of the team. But this writing's about #16 Justin Johnston. He left the team today, and couldn't take being humiliated and not dressing on senior night. He was recruited by this staff and accepted an the invitation to MSU proudly (as this is always where he wanted to be), but did so under the clear expectation that being in the line-up and playing were the most important thing.

He had many choices of colleges to play for along the way, but dreamed of playing at MSU, and jumped at the chance to be here. His freshman year, the 2006-2007 national championship year, he played three games, was of course humiliated, and was given virtually no reason as to why this was happening.

The next two seasons he saw limited ice time in order to prevent any type of meaningful development, and no promotion whatsoever, except for Ron Mason saying to Smiegel (Comley), "Why aren't you playing him?" Justin was given the most improved player award, to "make things look good," he was already very good. But the coaches had their foot on his head, and would not take off, while touting other equal or lesser players.

Players said early on when he was a freshman, "I can't believe it, the players spend most of their time in the locker room planning Comley's death and laughing about it. The success of the team has nothing more to do with the coaches." Justin had nothing but the best coaches previous to MSU. Psych major? No, this coach has an authority complex and significant issues as a person in society, let alone a D-I hockey coach. (Are you kidding, the guy should be in the nut house.)

Of course, this school does have convicts playing D-I sports, so why not have a nut-job as the head coach of your hockey team? It's really sad. Everyone knows he should have been fired four years ago, but the emergence of Jeff Lerg saved him, although everyone is sure that was a total surprise, and gift to him, that the team turned itself around that year and won the NCAA title.

This coaching staff is clearly sick. Other premier programs don't treat their recruits this way. Justin has been a good kid, not drunk every night like the hockey house crowd. He has practiced hard to get past whatever false issues the coaches used. Johnson was given scholarship money his sophomore year, and was told in his junior and senior years would be paid for as well. He never saw a check after the first one, and they had the nerve to say, "Maybe if you played a little better, who knows?" Well, we sat back for four years, and took this crap, and we are all relieved it's over. But the damage has been done.

So, we will be carrying the torch from now on for all the players/families (too many to mention) who just got screwed and kept their mouths shut. We promise! Go MSU players!

- The Freshman Class of 2006
                Embrace the hate.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                  Ahhh, there's the Billy we all know. Go starve your wife some more and calm down.
                  Please explain why that was not a valid criticism you ****.
                  TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

I agree with Billy. It's a joke that he wasn't nominated. He's one of the best players in the nation and deserved some recognition.
                    LIFE LONG NMU FAN & ALUMNI.

Comment

Originally posted by profoster View Post
                      I agree with Billy. It's a joke that he wasn't nominated. He's one of the best players in the nation and deserved some recognition.
                      Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not alone on this one. I wrote a letter to the athletic department about the gaff with Chad and surprisingly, I didn't receive a response.
                      TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Blanks View Post
                        Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not alone on this one. I wrote a letter to the athletic department about the gaff with Chad and surprisingly, I didn't receive a response.
                        Just curious, how is this the athletic department's fault? Are they supposed to fund an "Olver for Hobey" campaign or something?
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

The fan voting on the website means essentially nothing, 1% of the total vote. If your guy doesn't show up in the top 10 finalists the people to blame are the media that actually get to vote for this thing. I would be surprised if the media had to chose from just the list on the website, as I would expect they can vote for any player to be in the top 10. Maybe if someone who has vote is a poster, they could chime in.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

NMU ranked 19th in USCHO poll for March 1st. First time we've been in the top 20 since early season.

Comment

Nmu_27: it sounds like the Ray Ladochi situation all over again for Comley, only Ray knew to bail early.

As for Olver and Hobey Baker, there were quite a few names missing that should have been on that list. And it is correct that the fan vote makes up very little to the actual selection. The real crime is indeed if he is left off the coaches selections.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Senior Night Highlights

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Che7Ci0BhDc&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Che7Ci0BhDc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
                                Cat Chat - Covering NMU Hockey since 2008

Comment

Working...
                                X