NMU 2009-2010 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU 2009-2010 Season

An "edit post" feature exists for a reason, you know, and it's not just decorative.
    sigpic

MinnesotaNorthStar: bando > all of you
    streaker:There isn't a team in this league she doesn't mention, (well, okay, she probably doesn't know there is a team in Marquette) if it does something worth mentioning.
    TwitchBoy: what the heck, GO CATS GO CATS GOCATSGO!

Comment

Whats the best way to move the program to the next level on a consistent basis? Simply figure out just what attracts those top level recruits to Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Notre Dame and make it available here.
      Last edited by davyd83; 10-14-2009, 09:42 AM.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        The best way to move the program to the next level on a consistent basis? Figure out just what attracts those top level recruits to Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Notre Dame and make it available here.
        Well, off the top of my head, those two schools have a) better name recognition, and b) a geographical advantage. Not making excuses here, but when you're at that age, the pull of an area like Madison, Ann Arbor, Minneapolis, or even South Bend can outdo that of Marquette, easy. So, we have to think of what draws them there and somehow top it.
        Always a Wildcat...
        Originally posted by Kepler
        If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Whats the best way to move the program to the next level on a consistent basis? Simply figure out just what attracts those top level recruits to Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Notre Dame and make it available here.
          How about to the next level occasionally? I understand the deficit between the top programs and the next tier. I'm happy with our talent level. I mean, someone out there thinks we have the most top-level talent in the league according to meaningless pre-season picks. What prevents that talent from coming together on a consistent basis? Is it just blind luck? Is it that the recruits we pick out just have less of a chance of achieving their potential? I think the most frustrating thing is that we get a glimpse of this team in February and March against tournament-level competition and something gets lost from year to year and we seem to be starting over from scratch.

I do understand these are questions that probably can't even be answered, but I think they are a better area to discuss than whether or not to fire a coach who is doing all he can to get this team to win.
          Embrace the hate.

Comment

Without Walt Kyle not one of those preseason first teamers even give a thought to playing at NMU.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
              We have some who are fed up with no NCAA appearances in a long time. They are also fed up with slow starts that kill our chances before December.

So am I.

For the sake of school sanity here, why don't we just say that SOMETHING needs to change. We've beat the coach card into the ground. Why don't we talk about this year's team and how we can help the program?

I want to see the NCAA's, too. What can we do to help? What can we change? I don't want to hear that we are doing the best we can as a program, because I expect more.
              I agree with this post 100%.
              TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Without Walt Kyle not one of those preseason first teamers even give a thought to playing at NMU.
                This is why I personally think the "Fire the coach!" discussion is useless. Maybe discussing any of the things I mentioned is, but I think it's a better use of time than "Fire the coach!" and gets people much less riled up and stops the childish name-calling on both sides.
                Embrace the hate.

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
                  How about to the next level occasionally? I understand the deficit between the top programs and the next tier. I'm happy with our talent level. I mean, someone out there thinks we have the most top-level talent in the league according to meaningless pre-season picks. What prevents that talent from coming together on a consistent basis? Is it just blind luck? Is it that the recruits we pick out just have less of a chance of achieving their potential? I think the most frustrating thing is that we get a glimpse of this team in February and March against tournament-level competition and something gets lost from year to year and we seem to be starting over from scratch.

I do understand these are questions that probably can't even be answered, but I think they are a better area to discuss than whether or not to fire a coach who is doing all he can to get this team to win.
                  I think the problems that you are hitting on are the result of the coaching staff. I truly think that Walt is doing all he can to make this team succeed, I just think he has shortcomings as a coach and we may have seen all the he can do. When a team has the talent to compete but can't get everything together and win, the fault usually rests on the coaching staff (see Illinois football for an example of this). I mean, Walt has been successful at bringing individually talented players to NMU, he also has done a fantastic job of getting the community involved with the team and vice-versa. I love that we have the Walt Kyle Mile to help rase money to fight cancer. On the negative side, a coach gets paid to win, and so far even with all the talent, the team just hasn't played up to the level I want them to play.

And for anyone wanting to know how I could guarantee that a new coach would take the team from being on the bubble to making the NCAAs, I can't. It would be a gamble on NMU's part, but it would be a gamble they should make. Sometimes in sports you have to take a big risk to move your small-market team up to compete with the big boys, and for NMU I feel that gamble should be taken sooner rather than later.

Comment

I'm just sick of taking the time to read the same argument 10 times a year. I give you all the right in the world for having your opinion.

I also think you get unfairly jumped on for some things like a season prediction, just because of some of your unpopular views.

Come on guys, a season prediction is one person's opinion. It is a guess based on a general feeling. I think we can act a little more mature than middle-schoolers about some of these things. I get enough of that from 8:00 to 3:30 M-F. (Except today, as the students were released at 9:00)
                    Embrace the hate.

Comment

*****http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/images/smilies/other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif******
                      sigpic

MinnesotaNorthStar: bando > all of you
                      streaker:There isn't a team in this league she doesn't mention, (well, okay, she probably doesn't know there is a team in Marquette) if it does something worth mentioning.
                      TwitchBoy: what the heck, GO CATS GO CATS GOCATSGO!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeybando View Post
                        *****http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/images/smilies/other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif******
                        I think I saw it move, hit it some more.
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Alright, Billy Blanks, BWK, which one of you idiots is NMU 05 over on D2F??

NMU 05
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

NMU 05
                            Not I. I was actually just planning on registering a name over there.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

NMU 05
                              It's not me either. I've tried registering several times and it won't let me for some reason.
                              TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

A lot of people have been asking who could take over as coach at NMU potentially next season if Walt was to be released . The following is my list of potential coaching prospects who I would like NMU to look at if there was a head coaching vacancy.

Current NCAA D-1 Coaches
                                Wayne Wilson – Head Coach, RIT
                                Dave Burkholder – Head Coach, Niagara
                                JB Bittner – Assistant Coach, tOSU
                                Nate Leaman – Head Coach, Union
                                Joe Bonnett – Assistant Coach, CC
                                Rob Facca – Assistant Coach, NMU
                                Tim Christian – Assistant Coach, LSSU
                                Mark Osiecki – Assistant Coach, Wisconsin

Current NCAA D-3 Coaches
                                Ron Fogarty – Head Coach, Adrian
                                Tim Coghlin – Head Coach, St. Norberts
                                Dan Stauber – Head Coach, UW-Superior

Other options
                                Brad Frost – Head Coach, Minnesota Women’s (I know men’s and women’s hockey are very different sports, but Frost also has men’s coaching experience.
                                Jason Christie – Assistant Coach, Chicago Wolves
                                Jeff Pyle – Head coach, Gwinett Gladiators
                                Steve Weeks – Assistant Coach, Atlanta Thrashers

If I had to rank my top 3 for the job it would be: Pyle, Fogarty, Osiecki

My question for everyone on this board is this: Hypothetically, if NMU had a head coaching vacancy at the end of this year, who would you like to see fill that vacancy. I'm not trying to trap people or twist words around here, I just want to hear anyone who will contributes thoughts on this subject. The vacancy wouldn't even have to be created by Walt being fired, lets say Walt decides to hang it up at the end of the year, Junior goes too...who do we get to fill the void?

Comment

Working...
                                X