X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Don't go negative already. They have the horses. They're going to have to play shut down hockey and they are more than capable of doing that. They certainly have the goaltending.
    It's awesome when you're optimistic. Scary, yet awesome.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Well, Kangas dug a hole they couldn't get out of--especially after fundamental mistake after fundamental mistake by half the team. Lucia was completely out coached and the Gophers looked lost on the trap the first half of the game. Kevin Wehrs and Pat White looked absolutely horrible. On the flip side, Ness had a pretty nice game all around.

Comment

Originally posted by 61ache View Post
        Well, Kangas dug a hole they couldn't get out of--especially after fundamental mistake after fundamental mistake by half the team. Lucia was completely out coached and the Gophers looked lost on the trap the first half of the game. Kevin Wehrs and Pat White looked absolutely horrible. On the flip side, Ness had a pretty nice game all around.
        WHITE. You mean White. Yes, he scored that second goal, but the second WI goal was brutal.

Was Kangas awesome tonight? Nope. But 2 of those goals weren't exactly on him.

And as Scooby noted in the scores thread, most goals by both teams tonight were direct results of giveaways. Those usually don't favor goals.

Either way, St Pat is starting tomorrow, I guarantee it.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan View Post
          Geez, if it wasn't for bad luck....
          December 30, 2006. The day the music died. It should have never happened.

Comment

Over the last couple of years the Gophers have done an outstanding job getting players ready for pro hockey. Some of them have been a huge NHL suprise. Wheeler comes to mind. So why can't the current crop play better? When many of the players get on campus they try to do too much and don't focus enough on their role. If a certain player is a freshman fourth line grinder then focus on doing your job to the best of your ability same goes for everybody else on the team. Work on being a team and the don't worry about the NHL if players are good they will make it to the show.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

It's all esoteric my fine feathered finks. Just one time....THINK ETHEREAL!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                How's Chevy doing? Any update on his injury?
                I am not a doctor, but from what I hear, the best scenario is he's out 2 more weeks, but more realistic return is probably in December, IMHO. The big risks are infection, and how much muscle damage was sustained...

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  So why can't the current crop play better?
                  i was thinking the same thing. i was going to point to the fact that a lot of the players were coming directly out of high school and not hitting up the USHL (or the likes) before entering the UM. but, i checked the roster and all but Fischer, Ness, Leddy and Budish have gone to USHL, NAHL, or came from the USNDT.

i know there was some talk after the first two series with UND and UD that coaching was to blame. there also was the Garth Snow (Islanders) - Okposo - tDon incident which i am sure you're aware of, but as to whether or not that incident supports the "coaching is to blame" theory is rather subjective given the varied responses here on this topic.

but if you look at a lot of the great coaches not only only in the NCAA, but as a whole, they tend to get the very best out of their players. and, if the gophers have that "good" of a team, why aren't they playing that way? i think to some degree it is coaching.
                  pssst...take a look at your team...i think it has Minnesotans on it.

Comment

I think White stepped up this weekend. He played on the line with Budish and Lucia in the ad hoc lineups because Hoeffel was out and played well.

Wehrs has been stepping up all year.

Schack is back and played well.

Tony Lucia is the star of the team.

If Schroeder gets going somehow this could be a rumble going into a full blown earthquake.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I think White stepped up this weekend. He played on the line with Budish and Lucia in the ad hoc lineups because Hoeffel was out and played well.

If Schroeder gets going somehow this could be a rumble going into a full blown earthquake.
                      First bolding: I think benching him last night for a period (or just about) really woke him up.

Second bolding: I hate to tell all the haters I told you so, but I've always loved tDon2's hustle and grit, and it's finally showing up on the stat sheet. Not saying he is a superstar (he's a solid 2nd liner) but still.....
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Great minds.... - my post in the game thread the very same minute:

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Good to see a win despite the number of shots given up.

btw - I'm sure several names will get tossed around for their play (Lucia, Fairchild, Budish) but I've seen a lot of effort from White so far that I think was missing last season. If Schroeder could find a way to do the same it could go a long way to help this team win.

Comment

• btw - I think going 3-4-1 with 6 of the 8 games against possibly the best of the WCHA isn't a terrible start, all things considered. Not enough to feel great but enough to see a glimmer.

Comment

btw - I think going 3-4-1 with 6 of the 8 games against possibly the best of the WCHA isn't a terrible start, all things considered. Not enough to feel great but enough to see a glimmer.
                            I agree. I think we all were probably more frustrated with the play then the results in some of the games, but that goes away and fades over time when you have nights like tonight.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

btw - I think going 3-4-1 with 6 of the 8 games against possibly the best of the WCHA isn't a terrible start, all things considered. Not enough to feel great but enough to see a glimmer.
                              At the beginning of the year I was hoping to get through the first 8 games of the season at .500
                              So 3-4-1 isn't that bad in my opinion. This is by far the toughest stretch of the schedule in the regular season.

Still very optimistic about this team. They need to improve, but they are making strides in that direction. Excited to see how the season plays out.

Comment

Wheeler comes to mind.
                                Wheeler's been awful this year. I dropped him from my fantasy hockey team. I picked up Rene Bourque and that's been working out for me.
                                Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X