PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

HoosierBBall_GopherHockey
11-04-2009, 01:44 AM
That would be horrible. The Gophs need to get one line hitting the net...and unfortunately, the first line is the one that usually gets you there.

I know its been mentioned time and again...but what's the game limit for a redshirt?

It is true. I have heard it from a trusted source as well. I'm not sure it's legal to discuss what it is, but if the injury I was told is correct, he's gonna be gone for the season 99 out of 100 times. Maybe even 99.9 out of 100 times. A major loss for the Gophers.

kdilks
11-04-2009, 01:46 AM
That would be horrible. The Gophs need to get one line hitting the net...and unfortunately, the first line is the one that usually gets you there.

I know its been mentioned time and again...but what's the game limit for a redshirt?

It's not a redshirt, it's a "medical hardship waiver".

14.2.4 Hardship Waiver.

A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Academics/Eligibility/Compliance Cabinet for reasons of "hardship." Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:

(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;

(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (measured by the number of scheduled contests or dates of competition not exceeding the maximum limitations in each sport as set forth in Bylaw 17 as set prior to the first scheduled contest or date of competition of the designated official NCAA championship playing season in the applicable sport or the number of completed contests or dates of competition) and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

(c) The injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled or completed competition (including exempted events but excluding scrimmages and exhibition contests identified as such in the legislation) against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport.

So it looks like he should qualify.

5mn_Major
11-04-2009, 01:48 AM
It's not a reshirt, it's a "medical hardship waiver".

So it looks like he should qualify.

Ya...tired here.

Boy it seems like the Gophs run into a disproportionate amount of tough luck from key players getting injured, leaving during the season and leaving well before 4 years are up.

Turk 77
11-04-2009, 07:51 AM
I know we are short on D right now. But at some point I would like to see them put Ness at forward he has great hands and is a talented player but his size hurts him when trying to move people. Just an opinion

Slap Shot
11-04-2009, 08:20 AM
So any time any player hits another player in the head they should be suspended right? If that were the case there would have been 2 people dressed for game 2 last weekend and Brian Schack would have been banned for life after the Boe incident last year. Common sense here people.

Reread my post and come back to me with a different response. I'll refrain from using any deragotory terminology until then.

ScoobyDoo
11-04-2009, 09:20 AM
According to a Tweet just posted by Hammy there *could* be really bad news regarding an injury to Bariball from today's practice. Hammy mentions the dreaded words "season ending" is possible. Erf.

Oh for crying out loud. What is up with this team that we have the epic loss injuries every stinking year. :(

Turk 77
11-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Oh for crying out loud. What is up with this team that we have the epic loss injuries every stinking year. :(

NOT AGAIN :mad: :mad: :mad:

61ache
11-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Reread my post and come back to me with a different response. I'll refrain from using any deragotory terminology until then.

touche

I know we are short on D right now. But at some point I would like to see them put Ness at forward he has great hands and is a talented player but his size hurts him when trying to move people. Just an opinion

Bariball out would hurt an already struggling offense. It would be interesting... He has generated some nice chances on the weakside wing on the PP, so far this year. They're pretty thin on D, though, with Leddy out.

ScoobyDoo
11-04-2009, 10:34 AM
They're too thin at defense now with Leddy out. Ness is not going to be moved.

I hope if Barriball is out we see Lucia moved up with Schroeder and Hoeffel for line one.

Turk 77
11-04-2009, 10:40 AM
They're too thin at defense now with Leddy out. Ness is not going to be moved.

I hope if Barriball is out we see Lucia moved up with Schroeder and Hoeffel for line one.I agree we are too thin at D to try it now But if people get healthy I think it would be a worthwhile experiment. When will we hear on Baribal ?

ScoobyDoo
11-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I agree we are too thin at D to try it now But if people get healthy I think it would be a worthwhile experiment. When will we hear on Baribal ?

The depth at forward is larger than the depth at "D". I don't see Ness moving. Positionally he's one of the smarter defensemen the Gophers have.

Turk 77
11-04-2009, 11:04 AM
The depth at forward is larger than the depth at "D". I don't see Ness moving. Positionally he's one of the smarter defensemen the Gophers have.It will prolly never happen. He has great hand eye coordination and his position play is good.Time will tell if he is able to move to the next level. The kid I really like and think he could end up being a great player is Budish he is thick thru his upper body and he plays with a chip to his game .

ScoobyDoo
11-04-2009, 11:06 AM
It will prolly never happen. He has great hand eye coordination and his position play is good.Time will tell if he is able to move to the next level. The kid I really like and think he could end up being a great player is Budish he is thick thru his upper body and he plays with a chip to his game .
Budish once he gets going should be a 1st or second liner all the time and should score in bunches.

ScoobyDoo
11-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I agree we are too thin at D to try it now But if people get healthy I think it would be a worthwhile experiment. When will we hear on Baribal ?

Jupiter just posted on GPL that he's having tests today on his knee to determine his status for the year. Out for the Badgers for sure.

Turk 77
11-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Budish once he gets going should be a 1st or second liner all the time and should score in bunches.He is a kid you can park in front of the net and he is difficult to move. He can be downright brutal in the corners with those big shoulders Im excited to see what kind of player he turns into . I wish we had a few more like him.A guy I work with has coached hockey a long time and has had season tickets quite awhile feels that we are getting too many primadonna type players and that individually they are or were great but that collectively they struggle as a team whats your opinion ?

ScoobyDoo
11-04-2009, 11:23 AM
He is a kid you can park in front of the net and he is difficult to move. He can be downright brutal in the corners with those big shoulders Im excited to see what kind of player he turns into . I wish we had a few more like him.A guy I work with has coached hockey a long time and has had season tickets quite awhile feels that we are getting too many primadonna type players and that individually they are or were great but that collectively they struggle as a team whats your opinion ?

I'm not sure that's the case. I think it's been more about "near misses" on players and those players are the players that stay. Take David Fischer for example. He hardly seems like a prima donna to me but he's no where near lived up to expectations. A prima donna situtation to me seems more like what Okposo pulled and guys like Okposo haven't been the norm in my opinion.

Turk 77
11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure that's the case. I think it's been more about "near misses" on players and those players are the players that stay. Take David Fischer for example. He hardly seems like a prima donna to me but he's no where near lived up to expectations. A prima donna situtation to me seems more like what Okposo pulled and guys like Okposo haven't been the norm in my opinion. I agree with you on that . What we need are those players that get better and better every year and then all of the sudden that junior or senior season they breakout. Its has to be hard to always be right on how a player is going to develope at the next level. We need to have some pleasant surprises those kids that blossem at the college level

ScoobyDoo
11-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I agree with you on that . What we need are those players that get better and better every year and then all of the sudden that junior or senior season they breakout. Its has to be hard to always be right on how a player is going to develope at the next level. We need to have some pleasant surprises those kids that blossem at the college level

Agreed, and I think that's what hasn't happened and there is some luck involved. Tony Lucia is poised to do the impossible and wait until his senior year to become a goal scorer. I hope the it continues, although I understand in context it was just UAA.

Turk 77
11-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Agreed, and I think that's what hasn't happened and there is some luck involved. Tony Lucia is poised to do the impossible and wait until his senior year to become a goal scorer. I hope the it continues, although I understand in context it was just UAA.Thats who I was thinking about, I went to the game last Friday with my son who bashed Tony the whole way down in the car and then Tony goes out and plays his best game . I had a great giggle on that one My son is 25 and can be way to quick to judge and flush a season down the toilet . I say give them time its a long season full of ups and downs

Driftryder
11-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Jupiter just posted on GPL that he's having tests today on his knee to determine his status for the year. Out for the Badgers for sure.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds and he can come back and play this year.

The sad thing is we haven't even played Michigan yet and a key player is possibly knocked out for the season with a knee injury.