Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013, '14, '15 Frozen Four Sites

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    NJ Transit and Amtrak trains also stop in downtown Newark, which is an easy walk to the Prudential Center.
    Is there really any such thing as an 'easy walk' in Newark? With dodging all the gunfire, and all?
    Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
      Is there really any such thing as an 'easy walk' in Newark? With dodging all the gunfire, and all?
      I did it last year from the train station to the arena, and 90% of the 10-minute walk was well-signed, air-conditioned corporate skywalk linking office building to office building. The scariest thing I saw were two aggressive scalpers in a food court. I don't remember being actually outside until I got to the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        I did it last year from the train station to the arena, and 90% of the 10-minute walk was well-signed, air-conditioned corporate skywalk linking office building to office building. The scariest thing I saw were two aggressive scalpers in a food court. I don't remember being actually outside until I got to the arena.
        Not to mention in that area there is a heavy concentration of Newark Police, NJ Transit Police, Amtrak Police, and Port Authority Police. Plus I will dare to say Newark is no worse than Detroit or St. Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
          Not to mention in that area there is a heavy concentration of Newark Police, NJ Transit Police, Amtrak Police, and Port Authority Police. Plus I will dare to say Newark is no worse than Detroit or St. Louis.
          "Come to Newark... we're no worse than Detroit."

That makes me want to go there right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
            Yeah, Pittsburg State University could host it! You guys would all be thrilled to see a Gorilla Mascot strip down to a gold thong.
            So that's what Jason Giambi is up to now. Good to know.
            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

The new barn isn't completed yet, but that didn't stop one NCAA committee from giving Pittsburgh some good news:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09265/999793-135.stm

I'm hoping this a good sign for those of us close to the RMU Athletic Department.
              Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Great article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette yesterday regarding RMU's bid.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09345/1020169-169.stm

The Pittsburgh bid is easily the one I've heard the most about. They're either the most eager or the best connected.
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                  So, your best effort is good for the bottom half of the WCHA. Got it.
                  Seeing as there's probably only one WCHA team in a similarly-sized geographic area as BC, BU, Northeastern, Harvard, UNH, UMass-Lowell, Merrimack, Holy Cross, and Providence (all of which are a short drive from downtown Boston), it would be pretty sad if the WCHA figures weren't higher.
                  BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                  -
                  Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

These two videos make me want to go to Cleveland...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY
                    http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1909669

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                      These two videos make me want to go to Cleveland...
                      Well, the material isn't exactly ready for prime time. Still, there's some legitimate humor there...

But if Cleveland actually bids, those videos don't answer the real questions. All rust belt jabs aside, the Q is a very nice facility that would do just fine staging the games. There are downtown lodging options reasonably close to the arena, along with places to eat and imbibe. For those choosing to stay outside the downtown area, there would be ample parking; the Q is located right next to the baseball stadium.

My biggest question for Cleveland is whether the city would truly embrace the tournament. Since Kent dropped its D-1 program, there hasn't been a D-1 hockey team in NE Ohio. There's also no local NHL team. That means there isn't a substantial local fanbase to provide a core level of support. The formula seems uncomfortably similar to Cincinnati, where most locals simply ignored the event.

Going into the St. Louis tournament, I had a similar concern. But those fears proved to be unfounded. The upper deck was filled with locals. My take was that enough of the Blues fan base rallied behind the event to make it a success.

Could the St. Louis experience be replicated in Cleveland? Maybe. But with a brand new NHL arena, the established Penguins fan base & the developing RMU program, Pittsburgh might be a wiser choice at this time.

Comment

i personally would not want to see chicago - while it's a great facility - huge seating capacity - it's in the middle of nowhere. no hotels nearby, restaurants few. it's 2.5 miles from the heart of chicago - michigan ave.

no question the city is great but the locale and lack of transportation to the United Center would be a huge negative for me. The only public transportation is public buses - to the UC.

oh, btw i live in chicago!

Comment

Originally posted by eddieras View Post
                          i personally would not want to see chicago - while it's a great facility - huge seating capacity - it's in the middle of nowhere. no hotels nearby, restaurants few. it's 2.5 miles from the heart of chicago - michigan ave.

no question the city is great but the locale and lack of transportation to the United Center would be a huge negative for me. The only public transportation is public buses - to the UC.

oh, btw i live in chicago!
                          There's a Metra station less than a mile away.
                          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                            There's a Metra station less than a mile away.
                            the trains at that station do not go east where most of the desirable hotels are located. i would think most people/ tourists would prefer staying near Rush St (bars, restaurants), Michigan Ave (shopping) , Navy Pier, the museums, etc. Hotels in this area provide easy walking distance to all the desired attractions. these are all East of the UC and the only public transportation that goes east/ west from the UC are buses.

also - even if you did get a hotel along that metra line and could (or want to) walk the mile, it's not a neighborhood that you'd want to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by eddieras View Post
                              the trains at that station do not go east where most of the desirable hotels are located. i would think most people/ tourists would prefer staying near Rush St (bars, restaurants), Michigan Ave (shopping) , Navy Pier, the museums, etc. Hotels in this area provide easy walking distance to all the desired attractions. these are all East of the UC and the only public transportation that goes east/ west from the UC are buses.

also - even if you did get a hotel along that metra line and could (or want to) walk the mile, it's not a neighborhood that you'd want to walk.
                              what about CTA? Medical Center on the Blue Line is what? 4 blocks from the United Center? and 4 stops west of the Loop...
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                what about CTA? Medical Center on the Blue Line is what? 4 blocks from the United Center? and 4 stops west of the Loop...
                                Yeah, I saw that one too.
                                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Working...
                                X