Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan State 2009-2010

We are a reserved bunch aren't we?

With the 5-3 win tonight, Spartans now have 31* 29 goals through 8 games. Know how long it took us to get that many last year?

27th of December - a 2-1 win over North Dakota. Coincidently that was MSU's 5th win of the 08-09 season. 6th didn't come until January 2.

This year we get 6 before November. Pretty satisfying, isn't it?

*Hey, who's checking the math?
    Last edited by owslachief; 10-31-2009, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Back from K-zoo.

WOO!

More later.
      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
      66 - 86 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Happy about the win.

That said, the stupid penalties need to stop. Krug's was pretty blatant, almost looked pre-meditated, and took place within six feet of an official. Stupid, stupid stuff.

Sure, we've only lost two games so far, but both losses could be chalked up to brain-dead penalties late in the game. It's getting ridiculous now.
        66 - 86 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
          We are a reserved bunch aren't we?
          I think many of us are still waiting to see if this team can continue playing as it has so far. With each passing week it's looking more and more as if this year's team should end the year in the top 6 in the league (I predicted 6th as the best we could hope for at the beginning of the year) and perhaps a bit higher.

If they can get through November 4-4 they'll be in good shape.

Comment

Listening to the Coach's after- and pre-game talks and his pressers you can tell that he is pretty happy with the team right now. I think that the coaching staff decided that what happened last year was such an abomination that they would make sure that it was not going to happen again. The look of the team isn't just because of new players, but all new styles and systems are showing to be successful. So, I think that not only did the players work hard in the off-season but so did the coaches. I would bet that the lower level of Munn arena has a much different vibe than a year ago.

A downside to this season is that there are going to be guys not dressing for games that (probably) should be playing (and probably would be in a normal year). The Spartans are that deep. It looks like they have 7 D-men who can play every game.. and probably one player short of a solid 5 lines of forwards. And of course, a few that have played in the past that are sitting now, who could contribute. (Johnston on D comes to mind) Sprague will be back at some point too so ... wow..

Although it will still be a fight every weekend, it's nice to think that this team should have a chance to win every game it plays.
            "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
              I think many of us are still waiting to see if this team can continue playing as it has so far. With each passing week it's looking more and more as if this year's team should end the year in the top 6 in the league (I predicted 6th as the best we could hope for at the beginning of the year) and perhaps a bit higher.

Reserved as in kinda quiet. Not as in holding back glowing praise - certainly not ready for that. I merely wanted to make the stark comparison and a remark about the refreshing pace of goalscoring After all, I thought this was an 8th place team and, well it's just turned November.

However, it really sounded like MSU nearly put it all together last evening. Nearly - because penalties remain an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                Happy about the win.

That said, the stupid penalties need to stop. Krug's was pretty blatant, almost looked pre-meditated, and took place within six feet of an official. Stupid, stupid stuff.

Sure, we've only lost two games so far, but both losses could be chalked up to brain-dead penalties late in the game. It's getting ridiculous now.
                A mistake made by a freshman who will learn, or who will be made to learn. Notice there were two facewashing penalties against Miami, and it hasn't happened since? You screw up, you learn from it, you make sure it doesn't happen again - at least, that's how I've learned most important lessons in life.

I can't speak to the one loss to Miami, but having been in Maine - that second game, MSU didn't play nearly as well as the first game, and Maine played better than they had. I'm not sure penalties are the only reason.
                "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                - Mark Twain

Comment

Anyone know why the Western crowd was booing Jeff Petry last night?
                  Go Green- 2007 NATIONAL CHAMPS - Go White!

Comment

Originally posted by puppet View Post
                    Gotta pick on somebody.

Comment

Liquor-onset confusion between Petry and Tropp?

That's my only guess.
                      66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Well, the Thursday game against UNO has all the signs of a perfect storm: Locals still think MSU hockey is in perceptual crater mode, UNO fans won't travel to EL for distance reasons, the casual fans probably think we're playing a club team, and - the biggest kiss-of-death - we're playing this game on a Thursday night.

Somebody give me a reason as to why we won't have one of the worst draws in the history of MSU's tenure at Munn Arena on Thursday (aside from $1 hot dogs).

I want to feel optimistic!
                        66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                          And yes - if MSU hockey can get through the Murderer's Row lined up for us this month with 4 wins - that would be Tanfastic.

Comment

Somebody give me a reason as to why we won't have one of the worst draws in the history of MSU's tenure at Munn Arena on Thursday (aside from $1 hot dogs).

O how lightly you brush aside the $1 dogs!
                            Also UNO's got cows, and we have cows. Also farewell tours draw well, don't they?

Comment

Liquor-onset confusion between Petry and Tropp?

That's my only guess.
                              They're actually, lustily, giving Tropp a what-for. (Recall that Tropp had received 2 months for slashing.)
                              By radio observation: a full second after Tropp's pass was taken by Petry (as alertly called by Scott Moore) the boos reached my ears. I believe it to be either slow reaction time on the part of a tanked up group of fans, or the crowd was on a 2-second radio profanity delay.
                              Last edited by owslachief; 11-01-2009, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Well - if Nevergoodenough can make it to these games then not all will be loss...and he likes hot dogs...

Comment

Working...
                                X