Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sense of urgency

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    But really, is that how a real "fan" should measure the coach or the program.

But Umile has done almost the exact opposite. Okay, no NCAA championship, but the man has done just about everything else you can do in college hockey - league championships, a multitude of NCAA appearances, four trips to the FF, a boatload of All-Americans (do you know that UNH has had at least one first or second team All-American every year but one (2009) in the last 14 seasons).
    "My wife she cook she clean she take care a da keeds she wash da car she mow da lawne she do da shopping okay she not "win da NCAA championship" mais dats okey dokey wif me", eh?

Et what, winning is not ow de real fan measure da coache? Wat da ell is you talking bout?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      He simply does not like the entire Coach Umile aura around the team...
      What is the "Coach Umile aura"? I'm curious.
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
        "My wife she cook she clean she take care a da keeds she wash da car she mow da lawne she do da shopping okay she not "win da NCAA championship" mais dats okey dokey wif me", eh?

Et what, winning is not ow de real fan measure da coache? Wat da ell is you talking bout?

Je ne c'est quoi.

Comment

• Who says romance is dead?

Gawd, Jimmy, stop it!! If only you added "et she take oute da trashe", I tink I'd be en amoure. Even if she only "win da title saison regulaire", mon ami.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Re: UNH commitments/recruits for 2010 and beyond

All this discussion on the current coaching staff at UNH, the recruiting, and the success of the program makes one huge assumption that, IMHO, is bound to be proven false.

This is the assumption that whatever replacement happens said replacement will take the current success of the program and then do better, with of course the NCAA championship the main point.

The more likely outcome is regression to the mean, and the mean average in D-I hockey is way lower than the success level UNH current plays at.

Remember the old adage when the gods want to punish you they grant your wishes.

Comment

The devil you know, right?

I'm not saying that anyone stepping into Umile's shoes will have instant success, delayed success, or even prolonged success - there's too much depending on too many things. I will say, when Umile decides it's time to step down, I expect the program to slide a little while the "new guy" gets his feet under him. I say "new guy" - I don't think it'll matter how seasoned he is, almost anyone stepping into a job like this has got to break the big shoes in first.
              Originally posted by state of hockey
              Tecate tonight. Haha!
              Originally posted by state of hockey
              Ugh. That was a bad idea.
              Ever notice how, after hockey season, baseball games seem INTERMINABLE??

Comment

From USHR:
                [6'1", 180 lb. Team Maryland Midget AAA forward Maxim Gaudreault has committed to the University of New Hampshire for the fall of '12 (possibly '11).

Comment

All-North American Prospects Hockey League U18 Teams:
                  First Team - Casey Thrush
                  Second Team - Maxim Gaudreault
                  http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3973035
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Interesting.. Doing some poking around here.. Sure looks like Jr Hockey is exploding around the country. The AYHL is a legit feeder to the USHL and EJ- and now on Heisenberg is the emergence of Teir I Elite- or (MWEHL mostly) And it looks as though the Chicago, Detroit and LA '94's are being scooped up by traditional who's who of college hockey D1 teams.

Like the name Maxim!! Real Hockey name there!! Looks like he's heading to the NAHL next yr?? I wonder if UNH can get him to the EJ or the USHL?
                    GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

The problem with his argument is nothing Umile has achieved has been done recently. UNH's last Hockey East title and FF appearance were 7 years ago. Seems maybe he's plateaued up there in Durham.

Comment

Here is a link to the Hockeys Future USHL Clark Cup Preview Podcast with an announcer from Omaha. At the 6:20 mark they discuss Matt White and shed some light on the academic issue that kept him from playing in Durham this season. He is a player they will miss a lot over the next four years.
                        http://cdn2.libsyn.com/hfradio1/hfpo...403d2dc5f2aca8
                        "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                          Here is a link to the Hockeys Future USHL Clark Cup Preview Podcast with an announcer from Omaha. At the 6:20 mark they discuss Matt White and shed some light on the academic issue that kept him from playing in Durham this season. He is a player they will miss a lot over the next four years.
                          http://cdn2.libsyn.com/hfradio1/hfpo...403d2dc5f2aca8
                          This new information is helpful in understanding what happened last summer with Matt White. If I am correctly understanding what the podcast said, it sounds like:
                          (1) The NCAA Clearinghouse changed it's standards for which high school courses would count toward eligibility to play Division 1 hockey.
                          (2) The coursework White had completed as of last summer did not include one or more of the courses included in the new requirements.
                          (3) It was determined (by White in conjuction with UNH?) that White would need another year to complete the required courses.
                          (4) UNH decided it needed a freshman forward for the 2009-10 season and that it could not wait a year for White to finish the courses.
                          (5) Apparently, Matt White decided to finish the cousework while playing an additional season with the Omaha Lancers of the USHL and commited to play for the University of Nebraska-Omaha in the fall of 2010.
                          Does that all sound about right?
                          Would someone refresh my memory - which player did the UNH coaches admit last summer when they decided to pass on Matt White? Given White's outstanding performance in the USHL, some second guessing of the UNH coaches' decision would seem to be in order.

Comment

God knows.. there were 3 kids that didn't show! Take your pick. Pavelski, Speelman or Block!
                            GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Block and Pavs committed within two weeks of each other in the spring, I'm guessing to replace Dries and White. Speelman didn't commit until August 1, and I'm guessing he took the spot vacated by Cam Reid. Ansel also committed in the spring, but I can't imagine he got much if any scholarship money. Perhaps he got what was there from Vranek leaving.
                              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                                Block and Pavs committed within two weeks of each other in the spring, I'm guessing to replace Dries and White. Speelman didn't commit until August 1, and I'm guessing he took the spot vacated by Cam Reid. Ansel also committed in the spring, but I can't imagine he got much if any scholarship money. Perhaps he got what was there from Vranek leaving.
                                What would be the rationale for letting go of Matt White last summer?
                                He apparently was serious about taking the additional courses needed for admission in the fall of 2010, since that's what he eventually accomplished. Did the UNH coaches figure they wouldn't need or have room for a forward of his caliber for the 2010-11 season (that doesn't make sense)? Did they make a hunch that White had peaked and would not improve (which he did given that he became the Player of the Year in the USHL)? Did they have doubts about his ability to maintain his grades once he got into UNH? He's a big fish that apparently got away and I think it's legitimate to ask why.

Comment

Working...
                                X