Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH commitments/recruits for 2010 and beyond

Originally posted by JB View Post
    I wonder if the hockey team burned some bridges with a couple of D-men that missed the spring semester their senior year because of grades.

Admissions might now be saying to the hockey team - you told us it wasn't going to be a problem and it was here and here it was, so why should we believe you?

reap what you sow...
    From what I've heard over the years (with other sports), this is entirely possible. You get a "break" from Admissions and the kid does well, you earn another "break" and maybe an additional one. If a kid with a "break", craps the bed, then you don't get that break again for awhile. If all the rest of your "breaks" do well, you redevelop the trust of Admissions.

I don't know what it is like with hockey, but I'm pretty sure a "break" for a football or basketball player is still well above the NCAA minimum standards. And that "break" had better be able to handle UNH academics independently because there isn't a support system like a BCS school can afford to put in place.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH_Alum_In_CT View Post
      From what I've heard over the years (with other sports), this is entirely possible. You get a "break" from Admissions and the kid does well, you earn another "break" and maybe an additional one. If a kid with a "break", craps the bed, then you don't get that break again for awhile. If all the rest of your "breaks" do well, you redevelop the trust of Admissions.

I don't know what it is like with hockey, but I'm pretty sure a "break" for a football or basketball player is still well above the NCAA minimum standards. And that "break" had better be able to handle UNH academics independently because there isn't a support system like a BCS school can afford to put in place.
      UNH has always been tough on out of state students. My father is also a UNH grad (class of something late 60's). He had to do a post graduate year at Berwick to get into UNH which is where he really wanted to go. Out of Danvers high school he got into BU and Umass amongst others but not UNH.
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
        His [Joey Laleggia] 'arrival' date is updated on Chissenberg's site for '11. Although his coach wanted him to stick around, he did indicate in an earlier interview that he was well suited for the college game. You just never know.. it does concern me just a little, because they also said TVR was being brought in to eventually run the PP.. of which Leleggia is doing a fine job of at least being on the that unit. It's likely the Coaches knew at the beginning if he'd be sticking around for another spin in the BCHL. Is he Draft eligible, I wonder? Downing too?
        From a March 31st article in the Penticton Herald:
        "[Vees' Coach and General Manager] Harbinson said forwards Garrett Milan and Alex Szczechura (both St. Cloud State), Beau Bennett (Denver) and Ben Sexton (Clarkson), and defencemen Joey LaLeggia (New Hampshire) and Isaac MacLeod (Boston College) may or may not return to Penticton pending discussions with their respective universities. "
        http://www.pentictonherald.ca/storie....php?id=254023

Joey Laleggia's prospects in the upcoming 2010 NHL Entry Draft (June 25-26) are also yet to be determined. His birthdate is June 24, 1992 so he meets the age requirement of turning 18 by September 15th. Although he was on the NHL Central Scouting "Players to Watch" list in October, 2009 (rated as a "C" prospect which means he has the potential to be a late round selection in the NHL draft) and participated in the Canadian Junior Hockey League's Prospects Event in December, 2009 (a game designed to showcase the top 40 NHL draft eligible players in the Canadian Junior Hockey League), Laleggia did not appear on the NHL Central Scouting's Final Rankings list released on April 7th. That is, Central Scouting did not consider him to be one of the top 210 NHL propects among North American skaters.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
          Joey Laleggia's prospects in the upcoming 2010 NHL Entry Draft (June 25-26) are also yet to be determined. His birthdate is June 24, 1992 so he meets the age requirement of turning 18 by September 15th. Although he was on the NHL Central Scouting "Players to Watch" list in October, 2009 (rated as a "C" prospect which means he has the potential to be a late round selection in the NHL draft) and participated in the Canadian Junior Hockey League's Prospects Event in December, 2009 (a game designed to showcase the top 40 NHL draft eligible players in the Canadian Junior Hockey League), Laleggia did not appear on the NHL Central Scouting's Final Rankings list released on April 7th. That is, Central Scouting did not consider him to be one of the top 210 NHL propects among North American skaters.
          That he fell off the NHL radar doesn't surprise me. He is listed as 5'9" 170 which is really small for a NHL D-man.
          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
            I have heard that Bob Norton had both Eruzione and Silk coming to UNH but couldn't get them past admissions. BU picked them up after they were denied from UNH.

There are however two versions from there, one that says Cox and Lumley (?)would have still been coming to UNH and one that says they only came because those two didn't get in so UNH went after them.
            Here is a good one for you...

Mike Eruzione was in fact committed to Merrimack and had sent his deposit in. A friend picked him up in Winthrop and said that they needed a body for a summer league throw away game at Tully. Mike said ok, and went and played. Had a nice game and fun. After it was over the ref walked over and said, Mike, where are you going next year? Mike said Merrimack. The ref said, we just had a kid leave school and have a spot, any interest? Mike said, for sure.

The ref was Jack Parker....

Mikes dad still asks to this day why Merrimack has not sent the deposit back

Comment

Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking being done by the Pentiction coach/gm. He named his top 4 (college committed) scorers from this season's team which finished 48-8. There is zero chance that either Bennett (the league's leading scorer) or Szczechura (a '90) will return to that league. They have nothing left to do or prove. I also don't understand why Laleggia would stay another year, but it appears that will be the case.
              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                The ref was Jack Parker....
                Did he swear and throw water bottles at himself that game?

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                  Did he swear and throw water bottles at himself that game?
                  No he bribed himself!!!!
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Watcher/HokyDad...

Was UNH ever in on recent Minnesota decommit Ryan Walters? He'd sure make a nice late addition/Reid replacement to a team in need of some offense next year...??

Mentioned in the BU thread that he had 35 DI offers at one point - was UNH one of those offers?

Is he a lock to stay in the WCHA??

http://www.bucshockey.com/leagues/ro...layerID=557140
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Watcher/HokyDad...

Was UNH ever in on recent Minnesota decommit Ryan Walters? He'd sure make a nice late addition/Reid replacement to a team in need of some offense next year...??

Mentioned in the BU thread that he had 35 DI offers at one point - was UNH one of those offers?

Is he a lock to stay in the WCHA??

http://www.bucshockey.com/leagues/ro...layerID=557140
                      I would guess that a guy like Walters would only leave Minnesota for Major Juniors. If he stays in the NCAA, he probably has a bunch of offers from much better schools than UNH. He appears to be a prototypical BU or BC-type player. .
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                        I would guess that a guy like Walters would only leave Minnesota for Major Juniors. If he stays in the NCAA, he probably has a bunch of offers from much better schools than UNH. He appears to be a prototypical BU or BC-type player. .

You are a tool, based on your comments no player should choose to go to UNH due to their lack of a national championship banner. We should never have got JVR to commit because we aren't BC or BU. Absolute bull****, UNH is a great hockey school, consistently battling for the top spot in Hockey East and is in the NCAA's every year in recent history.

Comment

You would think so onion man - but you would apparently be incorrect...

You've probably already heard that Minnesota recruit Ryan Walters met with Gopher coaching staff this weekend, and after being told that the coaches wanted him to play another year of junior hockey, Walters decommitted from the Gophers.

It will certainly be interesting to see where Walters lands. Portland owns his WHL rights, but it sounds like Walters will try to find another college to play for. He's talented enough that somebody will be willing to take a chance on him. Hopefully it works out better for both parties than it did with the Gophers.
                          http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....mmits#comments
                          Last edited by Dan; 04-20-2010, 10:52 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by MagicCat View Post
                            You are a tool, based on your comments no player should choose to go to UNH due to their lack of a national championship banner. We should never have got JVR to commit because we aren't BC or BU. Absolute bull****, UNH is a great hockey school, consistently battling for the top spot in Hockey East and is in the NCAA's every year in recent history.
                            This isn't a shot at UNH you hyper sensitive jack-bag. Its amazing how thin skinned you people are. All Im saying is this kid isn't coming to New England to go to UNH just like he's not coming here to go to Brown. If he comes east, its to one of the Boston schools and get exposure for the NHL. Those schools get these kids hand over fist. UNH gets one in ten years.
                            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                              This isn't a shot at UNH you hyper sensitive jack-bag. Its amazing how thin skinned you people are. All Im saying is this kid isn't coming to New England to go to UNH just like he's not coming here to go to Brown. If he comes east, its to one of the Boston schools and get exposure for the NHL. Those schools get these kids hand over fist. UNH gets one in ten years.
                              There is a chance he could land at UNH. There is NO chance he will end up at Brown. Tool.

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                                There is a chance he could land at UNH. There is NO chance he will end up at Brown. Tool.
                                ******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
                                Originally posted by reBlur
                                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X