Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH commitments/recruits for 2010 and beyond

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
    Bourque wasn't a star at UNH like Brickley was, which magnifies UNH's failure to land Connor. Best of luck to the younger Brickley as he represents his country at the U18 World Championships.

They are distant cousins and he stated recently in an interview that he hardly has ever spoken to him and never about hockey advice

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      They are distant cousins and he stated recently in an interview that he hardly has ever spoken to him and never about hockey advice
      I read the same article, sorry if that wasn't clear in my post. It's a really good Q+A, and it answers a number of the same questions that have been brought up on this thread.
      http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1064627
      "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

I read the same article, sorry if that wasn't clear in my post. It's a really good Q+A, and it answers a number of the same questions that have been brought up on this thread.
        Somehow I don't think this will dissuade the "Umile sucks because he did'nt land Andy's brother/son/nephew ooops I mean 2nd cousin" talk.

Comment

Brickley: Playing freshman year at Belmont Hill and then going to the 16 Festival. Out of 16 Festival, I was contacted by a couple teams, and then going into my sophomore year at Belmont Hill. So, I was talking to the Boston schools. In my running, it was mainly between (pauses), I talked to Harvard a lot, BU, and Vermont, and also UNH. For me, Vermont was the team that contacted me first. They were very open about what they wanted from me, and when they wanted me, and how much they wanted me. So, they were the team that offered me the first, and we put it on hold. It was really early, because my parents and I weren't really sure what I wanted to do. So, I went to my sophomore season, and halfway through the sophomore season, I decided Vermont would be the best spot. The coaches were great to me, and they know what kind of player I am. I feel it was the best fit for me.
          No violations in there either...sophomore year Vermont was the first school to contact him than several others...
          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Vermont contacted him first…..I wonder how many players end up with the team who contacts them first…..my guess many…
            PSW
            watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Originally posted by PSW View Post
              Vermont contacted him first…..I wonder how many players end up with the team who contacts them first…..my guess many…
              Just like real estate, the first offer is the one to go with

These kids that say they were contacted first by a school should not be taken literaly. Most have advisors etc who have reached out to the schools or have seen them play and or were contacted by their coaches.

All the kids say something similar to that.

Comment

Exactly

Kid was very much into strong academics as well and loved the UVM program

Comment

[QUOTE=All other things being equal, do you think UNH would have a slightly better chance at him than Vermont?[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Kevin Sneddon is a heck of a coach and UVM is putting more talent into the NHL these days than UNH is.

And the crowds at the UVM home games are presumably better from a players perspective than the crowds at the UNH games. For instance, if UVM had hosted the QF playoff series the Gutt would have been packed out compared to a 1/4 full Whittemore Center that both teams played in front of in March. That was pathetic.

Would you rather play in front of a full house or a 1/4 full house in your home barn if you worked hard all season to earn home ice in the HE playoffs?

UVM is winning some recruiting battles for good reasons.

Comment

Nicely put CHC..

speaking of odd. Casey Thrush is currently the highest ranked NHL prospect coming in.. almost 50 slots ahead of G. Downing.. Yet, both being '92's- Thrush(a month younger) is projected to arrive 2yrs after Downing.

just found this on incoming Eric Knodel.. he mentions Connor Brickley as well.
                    http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1019951

Sorkin also mentions Connor Brickley for the world Jr's- apprently tehy teamed up on the same line, as mentioend in Brickley's q&a.

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1028338
                    GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox
                      We fans really don't have any idea what Coach Umile and his staff do during the long recruiting process. We don't know who their priorities are, which recruits they speak with, which ones they invite to visit, etc. Yet, there is no lack of criticism for what they are suspected of doing. They get slammed for going after "blue chip" players who they supposedly have no hope of landing. OK, if that's true, then they never should have tried to recruit JvR. By the same logic, not aggressively pursuing Connor Brickley was the correct thing to do since he never would have come to UNH anyway. Coaches Umile, Borek and Lassonde are d*mned if they do and d*mned if they don't - which is exactly the point. A few fans simply wish that they were no longer employed by UNH - which makes for predictable, noninformative posts.
                      Your missing the point. The critism is for going after guys there is no Wey they will get and not understanding when they should move on. Further it is not getting guys they should in that process because they are focused on the wrong guys until it is too late.
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Regarding recruiting ability, Mc Closkey did not to deal with the era of early commitments……players committing at 15 years …… The early commitment era really got started to gain momentum around 2004, when James Marcou committed to UMass at 15 years old. At that point I think he was the youngest player to commit to a college program. With early commitments recruiters, have to look at 13-14 years players to be able to lock them in at 15 -16. Difficult to make a determination where they will be at 19. Also you talking to very young kids/parents……Mc Closkey didn’t have to deal with that. I remember Borek on the one of the radio shows say it is difficult for all recruiters getting your heads around evaluating very young players.
                        PSW
                        watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox
                          Maybe you are missing the point. What insider, factual information do you have to illustrate your point? Since you obliquely referred to (Patrick) Wey, what information do you have that UNH pursued him for too long when they should have known he was going to BC? In fact, the following interview with Patrick Wey in April 2009 says that:
                          (1) BC was very surprised when he commited to them
                          (2) The early departure of Nick Petrecki (thereby giving Wey more opportunity for icetime) was a major factor in his decision and
                          (3) Wey waited until the last minute to make a decision and left a number of teams in the lurch.
                          This sounds like another example of an individual making an idiosyncratic and unpredictable decision.

http://bostoncollege.scout.com/2/855943.html

P.S. Did you notice that neither Patrick Wey, nor any other BC freshman, made the Inside College Hockey Freshman All-America Team?
                          http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...oshaa_2010.htm
                          My argument is at some point you ask the kid to make a decision, deadlines can actually be a good thing. If he won’t you look elsewhere. If you happen to still have money when the kid makes the decision great. There is a reason Wey waited, he probably really wanted to go to BC. That is fine, but UNH needs to not be a comfortable back up plan. On the Wey situation Watcher made the call he would end up at BC a long time (month and a half plus as I remember) before the season was over and Petrecki left early. There were still other options out there but UNH appeared to be waiting on Wey and those options went elsewhere.

What I see from UNH is too many times when they hang on too long and then all they can get is another grinder. It is great to shoot for the A list kids but I think UNH was built in the late 90's on the really good B list kids. Right now we get many C's at the last minute. Some of that is not the UNH staffs fault (Bourque, etc.) but the number that now have not got in (Reid, etc.) I do place some responsibility with the coaches. Maybe there are no signs there could be an admissions issue but it is clearly something the staff needs to look at a new way because it has become a repeat problem.

I could be very wrong in the why, as recruiting isn't something coaches can’t really talk about.

What I know I am not wrong about is the talent on the ice, it has significantly dropped off. I am only offering the observations that I can glean from the information that is available. I am not anti-Umile, but I am very concerned about the current trend (pointing down) and sticking your head in the sand about a problem is not a solution.

To me you seem happy to whistle past the grave yard.

Comment

Wow.

I wish in my life and at my business I had the foresight to only pursue those opportunities that I know for absolute 100% certain that I will be successful on and to leave all the other ones behind and not bother with them.

Where can I hire some of you guys will all this brilliant foresight ?

Comment

Originally posted by Db4gb View Post
                              Wow.

I wish in my life and at my business I had the foresight to only pursue those opportunities that I know for absolute 100% certain that I will be successful on and to leave all the other ones behind and not bother with them.

Rather than foresight, how about hindsight and employee track record in recruiting at a pre-eminent NCAA program?

2000-01 13 23 0 Borek, Scott
                              1999-00 18 16 2 Borek, Scott
                              1998-99 11 23 4 Borek, Scott
                              1997-98 15 18 4 Borek, Scott
                              1996-97 19 14 5 Borek, Scott
                              1995-96 30 8 2 Jackson, Jeff
                              1994-95 23 12 6 Jackson, Jeff
                              1993-94 31 10 4 Jackson, Jeff NCAA CHAMPS
                              1992-93 32 8 5 Jackson, Jeff NCAA RUNNER UP
                              1991-92 30 9 4 Jackson, Jeff NCAA CHAMPS
                              1990-91 36 5 4 Jackson, Jeff
                              1989-90 33 10 3 Anzalone, Frank
                              1988-89 29 11 5 Anzalone, Frank
                              1987-88 33 7 6 Anzalone, Frank NCAA CHAMPS
                              1986-87 22 16 2 Anzalone, Frank
                              1985-86 24 18 1 Anzalone, Frank
                              1984-85 27 16 1 Anzalone, Frank
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Db4gb View Post
                                Wow.

There are only two things in life with 100% certainty - you were born and you will die. All the rest is risk management.

I get the feeling at times UNH is hanging onto the 5% or far less chance. That is not good risk management.

My counter your 100% extreme would be planning your future around winning the lottery.

Comment

Working...
                                X