Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Goon’s Top 20 pre-season ranking

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
    True they did get that wrong. Not sure where they got their numbers but I broke it down:

Miami since the 04-05 season is 121-62-19 for a win % of .599. So I took it over the last 6 season from the 03-04 season and Miami was 144-76-23 for a win % of .592 which obviously isnt better. So I broke it down over the last 4 season when Miami has had their most success and they have a record of 106-44-14 for a win % of .646 which is very good, but not good enough. Since 03-04 Michigan is 168-69-15 for a win % of .665, since 04-05 they are 140-55-13 for a win % of .673 which is still ahead. But the last 4 years is a lot closer as they are 109-47-10 for a win % of .656.

Miami had a bad year in 2004-2005 which hurt them in this case but over the last 4 years it has been close the 5 ties Miami had this year may of cost them that honor.

Now again this is just between Miami and Michigan, dont have time to go through everyone but I would find it hard to have a better win % over the last 4 years than those two.
    North Dakota is close over the last 4 seasons at .640, but not quite as good as Miami or UMi.

edit: I just looked at Notre Dame, it appears that their record over the last 4 years is 102-48-14, for a % of .667, including a bad 13 win season.
    Actually I don't agree with your calcs, I calculate Miami's % over the last 4 years as .688, my formula matches what is listed at collegehockeystats.net. I'm guessing that you're disregarding ties.
    Last edited by bigblue_dl; 09-17-2009, 02:35 PM.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

That mistake alone doesn't mean they're wrong in ranking 3 ECAC teams in the top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
        We have UMLFan's word, he's "done with this thread." So that's that. Won't it be?????? We do have his word.

Big Blue, while the intelligensia at UM-Lowell has branded you and your kind "reading comprehension impaired," I disagree and think you deserve a master of the bleeding obvious degree in so quickly identifying their nature and contributions to college hockey.

But, in their defense, I only think they have been the most despicable Hockey East fans since their team got good. And by 'good' I mean 5th place finish, a sweep of UVM in the HE quarterfinals and one win in the HE tournament, when two were necessary.

And all of that goodness came this past March!

They've only been unbearable for that long.
        Again, please stop pretending that Vermont is one of the elite and can look down at other schools. Before this past season, you hadn't made the NCAAs since 1997. This includes 7 consecutive years when you finished under .500 while playing in the EZAC. In 4 of those seasons you lost 20+ games, bottoming out with a Merrimack-like 3-26-2 in 2001-02. Since joining Hockey East you've had home ice twice in four years, won just ONE playoff series and made it to the Garden once.

Yes, Lowell has had more down years than up years this decade, but certainly has a lot more positive hockey history than Vermont does.
        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

I like that tone, Scott, much better than the normal obnoxiousness that spews from Lowell fans.

In fact, neither UVM nor Lowell have much standing in discussions of accomplishments with fans of Michigan and Denver and BU and BC and North Dakota and Minnesota. Even past glories of Maine. We're the teams that fill out leagues - the Ferris States, Western and Northern Michigans, Michigan Techs, the two Alaskases - teams you need to have a schedule.

Both teams are trying to break into new levels of success and maybe even maintain some success on a consistent basis. We'll watch to see if either or both can.

But as glorious as Lowell fans so obnoxiously consider their 2009-10 team, pinheadnation.blogspot.com can sure knock Lowell a peg or 2!

So enjoy your team. Root like heck when they play Vermont. Crow if they win. But through the summer and into September, you guys have really been, in the words of our former Green Jobs czar, *****holes.

Comment

I like that tone, Scott, much better than the normal obnoxiousness that spews from Lowell fans.

In fact, neither UVM nor Lowell have much standing in discussions of accomplishments with fans of Michigan and Denver and BU and BC and North Dakota and Minnesota. Even past glories of Maine. We're the teams that fill out leagues - the Ferris States, Western and Northern Michigans, Michigan Techs, the two Alaskases - teams you need to have a schedule.

Both teams are trying to break into new levels of success and maybe even maintain some success on a consistent basis. We'll watch to see if either or both can.

But as glorious as Lowell fans so obnoxiously consider their 2009-10 team, pinheadnation.blogspot.com can sure knock Lowell a peg or 2!

So enjoy your team. Root like heck when they play Vermont. Crow if they win. But through the summer and into September, you guys have really been, in the words of our former Green Jobs czar, *****holes.
            Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech have a 1 and 3 national championships respectively, they at least deserve to be in the "past glories" section of your rant.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I was a huge Nahrgang, Zuke, Trewin/Warden/Quance, Mott, Usitalo, Stamler, Wise, D'Alvise, Lorimer fan back then. So, you're right, past glories.

But, man, that's a long time ago!

Lake State won it all, too!

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                North Dakota is close over the last 4 seasons at .640, but not quite as good as Miami or UMi.

edit: I just looked at Notre Dame, it appears that their record over the last 4 years is 102-48-14, for a % of .667, including a bad 13 win season.
                Actually I don't agree with your calcs, I calculate Miami's % over the last 4 years as .688, my formula matches what is listed at collegehockeystats.net. I'm guessing that you're disregarding ties.
                Yea my mistake, I didnt include ties in there. So I re-did it, and I have it at since 04-05 Miami has a win % of .693 and Michigan is at .735 %. Am I correct in that?

which would make it in the last 4 years Miami at .731 % and Michigan at . 716 % which would make Miami better in the Last 4 years. Now I included ties in there, which would be more accurate correct?
                Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Yea my mistake, I didnt include ties in there. So I re-did it, and I have it at since 04-05 Miami has a win % of .693 and Michigan is at .735 %. Am I correct in that?

which would make it in the last 4 years Miami at .731 % and Michigan at . 716 % which would make Miami better in the Last 4 years. Now I included ties in there, which would be more accurate correct?
                  I haven't calculated those out, and I'm ready to go home, so I close excel but they look right. I just calculated it as (wins+0.5*Ties)/games played.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Eastern hockey fans – can’t live with ‘em, can’t kill ‘em.
                    I kinda like watching UND and Minnesota fans go at it (with anyone in general not just each other)...sorta gives you the same feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by kdaddy View Post
                      I kinda like watching UND and Minnesota fans go at it (with anyone in general not just each other)...sorta gives you the same feeling.
                      Don't let us stop you from killing yourself.
                      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                        Don't let us stop you from killing yourself.
                        I never said that was a bad thing....all I said was it reminded me of it. There was no judgment in my statement. And nah..no killing myself I live way too good a life over here

Comment

This thread would be a hell of a lot smaller if UVMers would admit that they lost after they woofed it up before the QF series and then rationalized that it didn't matter after the fact.

---

A lot of UMLer's statement on expectations (aside from UMLGoon and whomever his co-hort is... I think I know who but I'm not sure) have come mainly from others. Some of the conventional wisdom (from other HEA fans) suggests that Lowell will be on top next year. The team on the ice at the end of the year had strong control of their offensive and defensive systems, could move the puck with regularity, and worked very hard. They played very intelligently down the stretch... take that and then add one year.

Next year's success will be owed to whether or not they still click as they did down the stretch last year. If they come out clicking its going to be a fun year.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            I haven't calculated those out, and I'm ready to go home, so I close excel but they look right. I just calculated it as (wins+0.5*Ties)/games played.
                            Ok, Well then you would come out with different numbers. I did it by adding wins + ties/ games played. Not sure if it would make a difference, but it would indicate that Miami in fact has been in the last 4 years. Which I didn't think was right initially but oh well, we will take it!
                            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Ok, Well then you would come out with different numbers. I did it by adding wins + ties/ games played. Not sure if it would make a difference, but it would indicate that Miami in fact has been in the last 4 years. Which I didn't think was right initially but oh well, we will take it!
                              The way I calculated it is essentially the same as if you just ignore the ties, which makes sense since no one won those games and no one lost them. So to get the same numbers I got you could also just divide wins by wins+losses. I think Michigan still just eeks out a better record over the last 4 years if you calculate it like that, but they are very close to each other.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                                Eric's Twitter
                                The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Working...
                                X