Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 Clarkson hockey players face sex charges

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Given how the Clarkson admin. allowed the Mark Morris/Zach Schwan fiasco to degrade into a nuclear meltdown - resulting in Morris' dismissal - it'll be interesting to see how they handle this with Coach Roll.
    You are comparing apples to oranges trying to compare the 2 cases. First, Clarkson's President at the time of the Morris/Schwan fiasco was Denny Brown. Mr Brown had little use for the Clarkson Hockey Program and even less use for Mark Morris. He was looking for any excuse to fire Morris and the Schwan fiasco fit the bill. The current Clarkson President Tony Collins is a supporter of the mens and womens programs and George Roll up to a point. If Roll did something wrong, Collins will get to the bottom of it and Roll will be punished. I have met George a number of times and I will tell you he is a great person but he holds people accountable for their actions. I am not gonna speculate on anything in this case and will just follow it until it is resolved.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I'm late to the thread... so I'll just get this over with (probably already been said).

I swear officer, she said she was 18!
      well, she WAS wearing pants that said JUICY on them!
      What do you mean the age of consent in the US isn't 16?!?
      I was just giving her stick handling pointers!
      OHHH... she said she wanted to PUCK??! oops..

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        but people like Wicked Slappahs are talking like they know 100% that they did it.
        Please tell me where I once stated anything resembling this. I know you're from Minnesota, but you should have mastered english comprehension after your 3rd trip through.

You can take your baseless generalities and shove 'em where the North Star don't shine.
        Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 09-11-2009, 09:36 PM.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
          You are comparing apples to oranges trying to compare the 2 cases. First, Clarkson's President at the time of the Morris/Schwan fiasco was Denny Brown. Mr Brown had little use for the Clarkson Hockey Program and even less use for Mark Morris. He was looking for any excuse to fire Morris and the Schwan fiasco fit the bill. The current Clarkson President Tony Collins is a supporter of the mens and womens programs and George Roll up to a point. If Roll did something wrong, Collins will get to the bottom of it and Roll will be punished. I have met George a number of times and I will tell you he is a great person but he holds people accountable for their actions. I am not gonna speculate on anything in this case and will just follow it until it is resolved.
          I merely stated that it will be interesting to see how they handle this case, given how badly they botched the last one involving the hockey program.

I have never, nor will I make a judgment on the kids or the coach. I merely stated that Roll is in a very tough spot.

Sorry, if you choose to ignore your own program's history, but you gotta take the good with bad.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

[The story mentions that the judge issued an order of protection for the girl. This may be SOP for sex cases, I don't know. [/QUOTE]

Yes - it is absolutely standard to issue an order of protection in any criminal case where it is alleged that the defendant engaged in or attempted to engage in conduct that is harmful to another individual. That includes harassment, sex crimes, even trespass cases under the appropriate circumstances. You should not read into it that the issuance of the order of protection means anything with respect to the guilt or innocence of the defendant(s).
            GO SAINTS!

Comment

Morris absolutely deserved to be fired for the Schwan "incident" as you call it, regardless of what an asset he was to the program or the asset that the program is to the university. Morris' coaching philosophy was an intense win-at-all-costs one that didn't mesh with Brown's vision for an academic institution of Clarkson's reputation. He had made plenty of mistakes before Schwan and had it coming before the incident happened.

As for Roll's involvement, he may not have had an active hand in the camp in which this incident happened. What his role in the summer programs was hasn't been stated, it may have been none. Either way, if found guilty, all three of these young men should have no future that involves wearing a Clarkson sweater, but that is for the university to decide if they are found guilty. Until then, let's not pass any judgement.
              Last edited by CrazierEddie; 09-12-2009, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                Note this is a misdemeanor charge, not the felony charge. Under NYS penal law 130.20 it could be more so that she said yes, but being under 17 her parents didn’t like it. “Her” consent does not just include the female. “Her” consent also includes her parents at 16. Also note this is NOT being charged as a Rape case, which more leads me to believe the above. My God I learned something at the Academy
                Well, yes it is a Penal Law 130.20 case, but lack of consent is defined in 130.05 (3) which provides:

A person is deemed incapable of consent when he or she is:
                (a) less than seventeen years old[.]

It has nothing to do with her parents. If defendant(s) and victim were caught engaging in sexual contact of the type described in 130.20, and somebody asked for her i.d. and found her to be less than 17, the DA can still decide to prosecute the case even if she consented and her parents have no desire to press charges.

Under NY law, she is LEGALLY INCAPABLE of consenting to sexual contact, whether any of us agree with this or not.

On the other hand, whether the DA can prove its case without her cooperation is a completely different matter. However, I am not prepared to speculate on what her position is (uh . . . no pun intended).
                GO SAINTS!

Comment

Please tell me where I once stated anything resembling this. I know you're from Minnesota, but you should have mastered english comprehension after your 3rd trip through.

You can take your baseless generalities and shove 'em where the North Star don't shine.
                  I apologize...you never explicitly stated it, no. But bringing up how much blame should be put on Roll implies guilt on the part of the three players.

Stop taking comments on a message board so seriously, BTW...you'll enjoy your day much more...
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I merely stated that it will be interesting to see how they handle this case, given how badly they botched the last one involving the hockey program.

I have never, nor will I make a judgment on the kids or the coach. I merely stated that Roll is in a very tough spot.

Sorry, if you choose to ignore your own program's history, but you gotta take the good with bad.
                    I did not mean to imply you were making a judgement. The Morris-Schwan fiasco was not handled well by the university or Morris. But the relationship between Morris and Brown and Brown's lack of support of the hockey program can't be compared with the relationship between Collins and Roll and Collin's full support of the program.

And I'm not sure how my previous post implied I was ignoring my programs history??? Have a great day and remember soon my ECAC Pick The Standings Contest will be in full swing. Hope you plan to participate .
                    Last edited by vicb; 09-12-2009, 04:44 AM.
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by CrazierEddie View Post
                      Morris absolutely deserved to be fired for the Schwan "incident" as you call it, regardless of what an asset he was to the program or the asset that the program is to the university. Morris' coaching philosophy was an intense win-at-all-costs one that didn't mesh with Brown's vision for an academic institution of Clarkson's reputation. He had made plenty of mistakes before Schwan and had it coming before the incident happened.
                      I agree of your statements about Mark. But I stick by my statement that Brown had no use for the hockey program, no matter who the coach would have been.

Originally posted by CrazierEddie View Post
                      As for Roll's involvement, he may not have had an active hand in the camp in which this incident happened. What his role in the summer programs was hasn't been stated, it may have been none. Either way, if found guilty, all three of these young men should have no future that involves wearing a Clarkson sweater, but that is for the university to decide if they are found guilty. Until then, let's not pass any judgement.
                      I agree and I can assure you knowing the type of people Collins and Roll are that if found guilty they are gone. And yes, let's not pass judgement until then.
                      Last edited by vicb; 09-12-2009, 04:35 AM.
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

I agree and I can assure you knowing the type of people Collins and Roll are that if found guilty they are gone. And yes, let's not pass judgement until then.
                        Absolutely agree - anyone out there with experience in the NY justice system who has any insight on how long until we might know something?
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Does anyone NOT see a civil suit irregardless of the criminal case?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If nothing else the school has a problem or whoever was responsible for the camp. When you send a child to school or a camp it is with the expectation that they will operate "in parens patriae"that is they will act as a parent would. If she had contact with a fellow camper that would be different, however, the people who run the camp are supposed to care for and protect the campers, not allegedly exploit them for sexual purposes. That is if they are in fact guilty, they are innocent until PROVEN guilty. Also the burden of proof is much lower in a civil case, it may take a while to sort this all out and until then we can all only speculate. If the charges are true they are despicable but most of us are apt to make knee jerk reactions in cases like this, that's why responsible prosecutors go slowly and get all the facts before forging ahead in a case like this. Just look at the recent Patrick Kane situation the press initially made him sound like John Dillinger when in the end he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct which wa not even a crime.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Assuming they are guilty.
                              Assuming she was attending camp and not a local.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Undoubtedly, there's going to be a civil suit and as we saw in the OJ case, you don't have to be convicted of the crime to lose a significant amount of money in a civil trial.

So while everyone is waiting for a "guilty" or "not guilty" verdict for the players, a potential civil settlement might seal the players fate. If Clarkson feels the case has merit, the girl's family could settle for a smaller sum with the stipulation that the players be kicked out of school or Clarkson might just throw the players under the bus. For instance, did players violate the school's alcohol policy on the night in question (if alcohol was involved)?

The long and the short of it is that the players are in a "no-win" situation. Their reputation has been called into question, they may be suspended or kicked off the team, their scholarships are in jeopardy, their families and the university may be sued and their future at the university may lie in the hands of a 16 year-old girl.
                                Last edited by dggoddard; 09-12-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X