X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey bloggers, please read

Re:free photo content: http://hockeyphotography.com/blog/?p=155

-Melissa

This seemed like the quickest way to reach out to the most people who would be interested in a single forum post :-)

Edited to change link - http://hockeyphotography.com/blog/20...r-hockey-blog/ (decided to switch to postnames instead of numbers)
    Last edited by mwade; 09-07-2009, 11:50 AM.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
    HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
    HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Re: Hockey bloggers, please read

Just wanted to thank you, Melissa, for all you do. Your passion and talent as a hockey photographer is really appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
      Re:free photo content: http://hockeyphotography.com/blog/?p=155

-Melissa

This seemed like the quickest way to reach out to the most people who would be interested in a single forum post :-)
      Just wanted to say that I have absolutely no problem with what your doing and I do appreciate it. You do a fantastic job there is no question about that. Any use of your photographs is a big bonus in my book.

Of note though, you mention that you've become upset when people use your pictures without asking you, and that "they’ve been blogs that I would have allowed the use if asked." I know I've personally tried to contact you twice to use your images and haven't gotten clearance. First time I didn't receive a response and the second time got a "I'll e-mail you tomorrow," and never got anything.

Comment

Sorry about that. Wouldn't have been intentional.

HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
        HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Great stuff! I run the crimson hockey blog and it will be great to leverage your photos!

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            Just wanted to say that I have absolutely no problem with what your doing and I do appreciate it. You do a fantastic job there is no question about that. Any use of your photographs is a big bonus in my book.

Of note though, you mention that you've become upset when people use your pictures without asking you, and that "they’ve been blogs that I would have allowed the use if asked." I know I've personally tried to contact you twice to use your images and haven't gotten clearance. First time I didn't receive a response and the second time got a "I'll e-mail you tomorrow," and never got anything.
            Why not license your content via Creative Commons? That allows you to retain some rights, but allow non-commercial work so long as there is attribution to you as the original creator.

For example, the non-commercial, no-derivative license sounds like it would fit your needs:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives

This license is the most restrictive of our six main licenses, allowing redistribution. This license is often called the “free advertising” license because it allows others to download your works and share them with others as long as they mention you and link back to you, but they can’t change them in any way or use them commercially.
            "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Absolutely not.

HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                Absolutely not.
                May I ask why not?

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, I'm just curious about your reasoning.

From your blog post, you're willing to let non-commercial blogs use your photos so long as they attribute that work to you. You're willing to give this content away for free, with certain stipulations.

Does that Creative Commons license not meet your stipulations? If not, where does it fall short?

Again, that license requires that the use be:

1. Noncommercial
                2. Nonderivative
                3. Attributed to you.

I bring this up because it's a good way to allow the kinds of usage you'd like, but disallow the stuff you do not.

Again, I'm curious as to your reasoning.
                "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                  Why not license your content via Creative Commons? That allows you to retain some rights, but allow non-commercial work so long as there is attribution to you as the original creator.

For example, the non-commercial, no-derivative license sounds like it would fit your needs:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
                  CC allows you to share your work. By default anything a photographer shoots is copyrighted by them, with exceptions in cases where said photographer has signed away said rights as part of the agreement to shoot. Creative Commons allows some ways in which a photographer can share their work, but, personally, I find it useless. I prefer to retain all rights. Anyone that violates my rights gets a friendly e-mail. Anyone that continues to violate my rights gets a friendly letter from my lawyer.
                  -Will... Photographer, professional baby wrangler.
                  web- saveuahhockey.com facebook- Save UAH Hockey twitter- @saveuahhockey

Comment

Working...
                  X