Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The official MCH'AQ' season thread

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
    I was thinking Betty Parris and Abigail Williams, but "Congregationum Fratrorum Xaverianorum" - I guess if you have to spell that correctly, you have a right to a pet peeve
    please excuse the virus that has taken this thread ...OVER........temporarily.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
      please excuse the virus that has taken this thread ...OVER........temporarily.
      My apologizes; I did not notice this intended as a season thread, you are right, tangents don't belong here.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
        My apologizes; I did not notice this intended as a season thread, you are right, tangents don't belong here.
        How about sines and cosines?

Sorry, could not resist shooting after the great set up pass
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
          They could do that, but ummmm.... Why would they want to do that? Play all year and not even be able to go to the post season?? Maybe perhaps for a bit if they have thoughts of going D1, but OU is already a D1 school and thus would be able to start out there in D1. Weither or not OU could actually find a home to play in at the time is another matter all together.
          If we see another DIII hockey program in Michigan, I think it will come from the MIAA. Considering current economic conditions, I don't expect this to happen anytime soon.

On another note, Marian's recruiting class is looking better and better each day (at least on paper). At this point I am starting to wonder if MSOE even has an incoming class.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFC View Post
            If we see another DIII hockey program in Michigan, I think it will come from the MIAA. Considering current economic conditions, I don't expect this to happen anytime soon.

On another note, Marian's recruiting class is looking better and better each day (at least on paper). At this point I am starting to wonder if MSOE even has an incoming class.
            Michigan's got a ton of NCAA D-III schools that COULD start up a team. Unfortunately, especially out here in West Michigan, ACHA hockey seems to be a very popular choice among fans, and it may even be a detriment to schools' programs if they wanted to move up to the NCAA ranks. Rather than playing in-town rivals (Grand Valley vs. Davenport comes to mind), if they're playing schools like Lake Forest and Marian that nobody out here has ever heard of, student support will likely diminish significantly.

As far as MSOE recruits go, they never seem to go reported and almost always come in "under the radar." They're one school that you never really know much about until their final roster comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
              Michigan's got a ton of NCAA D-III schools that COULD start up a team. Unfortunately, especially out here in West Michigan, ACHA hockey seems to be a very popular choice among fans, and it may even be a detriment to schools' programs if they wanted to move up to the NCAA ranks. Rather than playing in-town rivals (Grand Valley vs. Davenport comes to mind), if they're playing schools like Lake Forest and Marian that nobody out here has ever heard of, student support will likely diminish significantly.

As far as MSOE recruits go, they never seem to go reported and almost always come in "under the radar." They're one school that you never really know much about until their final roster comes out.
              I know that a lot of people discuss this issue at length elsewhere, but I don't think that most schools consciously choose ACHA over NCAA DIII. I think that most schools are forced into the ACHA by economcis or the many vexatious and idiotic NCAA rules. For example, isn't Davenport NAIA and Grand Valley NCAA DII? For Davenport to establish an NCAA DIII hockey program, they would need to covert their entire athletic department over to NCAA. I believe this is what Finlandia did when it started its program. I agree that Michigan is a vast untapped market for DIII hockey.

You don't need a super strong ACHA team to develop an NCAA DIII program overnight. You just need a lot of alumni support and some generous international financial aid packages.

Comment

The rumor I heard about Oakland is that, a rich guy or possibly more then one rich guy, doesn't like contact sports, so no Hockey or Football or Lacrosse, ect. $$ talks.

Comment

Again, Oakland is a now Division I school, and have been for about a decade. They're not going D-III in anything. This is a non-issue.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by AVFC View Post
                    I know that a lot of people discuss this issue at length elsewhere, but I don't think that most schools consciously choose ACHA over NCAA DIII. I think that most schools are forced into the ACHA by economcis or the many vexatious and idiotic NCAA rules. For example, isn't Davenport NAIA and Grand Valley NCAA DII? For Davenport to establish an NCAA DIII hockey program, they would need to covert their entire athletic department over to NCAA. I believe this is what Finlandia did when it started its program. I agree that Michigan is a vast untapped market for DIII hockey.

You don't need a super strong ACHA team to develop an NCAA DIII program overnight. You just need a lot of alumni support and some generous international financial aid packages.
                    Not saying I disagree with that at all (in fact, what you say is spot on)... just giving another take on the whole thing, and another reason why the expansion of NCAA D-III hockey to Michigan will be slow for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
                      Not saying I disagree with that at all (in fact, what you say is spot on)... just giving another take on the whole thing, and another reason why the expansion of NCAA D-III hockey to Michigan will be slow for the foreseeable future.
                      I was thinking the MIAA schools would have the easiest time starting DIII programs because they currently sponsor other NCAA DIII teams (the Davenport issue) and because I think they are most likely to be influenced by Adrian insofar as they are similar in size, academic mission, etc. I am sure an AD at Albion is more likely to pay attention to what is going on at Adrian, than an AD at Grand Valley, Hillsdale, Northwood, etc. I know nothing about ACHA hockey at the private schools in Michigan, but it seems to me that the most logical NCAA DIII candidates would be Hope, Calvin and Kalamazoo. These three schools could readily find ice without building on-campus facilities. I question, however, whether any of these schools have the motivated alumni required to start and finance a DIII program.

Comment

If anything, Grand Valley, Northwood and Hillsdale are going to look at LSSU, Ferris and Northern Michigan to see what is going on in Division I. Quite frankly, I don't like the chances of any of them starting a program once they get a peek. They're not touching D-III after looking at what Crookston has done with their program over the past few seasons. As things stand right now there is no good reason whatsoever for a Division II team to start a new program and play as a Division III, either from a financial standpoint or as it relates to the product on the ice.
                        Last edited by Hammer; 09-10-2009, 02:06 PM.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by MN Cyclone View Post
                          The rumor I heard about Oakland is that, a rich guy or possibly more then one rich guy, doesn't like contact sports, so no Hockey or Football or Lacrosse, ect. $$ talks.
                          My memory is a little bit fuzzy but I think it was more the woman who donated the land and money to start an extension of Michigan State University later renamed Oakland University who didn't like contact sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            If anything, Grand Valley, Northwood and Hillsdale are going to look at LSSU, Ferris and Northern Michigan to see what is going on in Division I. Quite frankly, I don't like the chances of any of them starting a program once they get a peek. They're not touching D-III after looking at what Crookston has done with their program over the past few seasons. As things stand right now there is no good reason whatsoever for a Division II team to start a new program and play as a Division III, either from a financial standpoint or as it relates to the product on the ice.
                            You know, there ARE a lot of D-II schools playing ice hockey in the Adrian and Cheese regions. Imagine the D-II conference if all the D-II'ers are playing D2 instead of D1???

I will never happen, but my mind in fertile right now...
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

My GVSU fandom requires me to release this statement, "Screw Davenport!!"

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              Correct Hammer, if Grand Valley was going to start up a program they're going to be a D1 or bust program. Grand Valley Athletics are committed to excellence across the board, and quite frankly, our adminstration would want to be in the same league with Ferris and Western Michigan, both schools that we compete with for West Michigan students. And quite frankly, I highly doubt that Hillsdale and Northwood would even want to start up Ice Hockey programs. Northwood probably has a rink they could use nearby, but I do believe the closest Ice to Hillsdale would be either Jackson and Adrian. And I do believe Hillsdale does habour some long ago Ill-will towards the MIAA schools because they banded together years ago to kick them out of the league because Hillsdale stomped on them all the time in football.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              You know, there ARE a lot of D-II schools playing ice hockey in the Adrian and Cheese regions. Imagine the D-II conference if all the D-II'ers are playing D2 instead of D1???

I will never happen, but my mind in fertile right now...
                              Yeah, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, Lake Superior State, Ferris State, Duluth, Mankato, Bemidji, St. Cloud, and Nebraska Omaha. 9 schools. You could probably even throw in former D2 schools that did have for a while D1 teams in the area, Findley and Wayne State, to make 11, and Crookston would round things out to make an even dozen. The next question becomes how would you get those schools into a league?? One league of 12 or two leagues of 6? The league of 12 is problematic because it doesn't leave a whole lot of room for future expansion, and then there's the issue of who do you play in Non-conference games?? Fly out east and play the d2's there? No more home games with the BTHC either.
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Not really hockey related at all, but kind of a neat and creative idea.

Finlandia swaps tuition for property

They'll be giving free tuition to graduates from the local high school in exchange for some land.

Comment

Working...
                                X